+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Setting the Stage for Role-Players

Booking the tavern for events is a good idea. That way you wouldn't see different groups stepping on each others toes with overlapping events. Maybe have a reservation NPC, or bulletin board where you could sign up for events maybe a couple weeks or even a month in advance. When you sign up for the event you can also select the package type you want for the event such as rowdy party, marriage, couples night, Telaran or race specific holiday or celebration, etc. When you activate the package on that event day and time the ambiance of the tavern would change accordingly.

Packages for feasts or picnics accessed at any time.

Shadowlander

Fortune Shore is one of your best locales in game, and a great RP hub. I would also like to echo support for player/guild housing.

Red face

Player/guild housing of some sort.
    Sitting on chairs

Fortune's Shore is my favourite RP spot I would love to see this more spruced up for RPers. Add in a bartender that actually sells drinks AND food. Some extra blank houses that dont have random Guardian npcs in them.

Beds in the inns.

Food, either cooking trade, or purchaseable foodstuffs.

Lower the prices on stuff... its hard to want to buy things when doing so makes you poor.

A nice RP town in Freemarch that isnt Meridian. I was so disappointed when I saw that village south of the iron fortress.

Reduce the /say radius so everyone in Merdian doesnt see a conversation in a small corner.

a hide gloves option to go along with the shoulder and helm.

MACROS for toggling shoulder, helm and (hopefully), gloves.

Get rid of the restriction regarding wearing "non" armour outfits in the wardrobe.
    :: Ceileigh Amberlight - Dwarf Engineer :: Nimhue Amberlight - Dwarf Druid :: Faeblight ::

Soulwalker

I echo the votes for being able to sit in chairs, and the possibility of player/guild housing.

However, I'd also like to suggest giving mounts walking animations!! Some of us like to or just end up RPing while mounted, and it sort of intrudes on the mood when, when moving a few yards to a new location, say a tavern, your mount ends up galloping there like it was charging into battle! Or maybe you and your friend just want to take a leisurely mounted stroll through the woods. Or whatever. Walking mounts would just be a nice quality of life addition, I think.

One thing I would like to see are usable objects, beyond just chairs. A clickable door that swings open and closed, a fireplace that could be lit, lights in the room that could be turned brighter or dimmer for the people in a party (wouldnt have to be universal). It is pretty easy to create a waitress in an inn that, when you emote "request menu" replies "let me get that for you <insert name>. And goes to get it. (The programming of SecondLife is bulky and slow, but it shows even non professionals can create usable animated objects... the professionals should be able to as well!).

One thing I would like to see less of is NPC's who cycle through the same 2 paragraphs of dialog, this makes certain inns unusable for roleplay unless you happen to know how to create a chat window without them, which I *just* learned how to do!

I would like player pets to be able to emote, eg the catt, that yawns at /yawn and purrs at /purr . Along the same lines, mounts able to perform different functions and work at a variety of speeds. For example /spook makes your horse rear and run 20 feet away from the closest mob...

I would like to see a MUCH expanded list of craftable wardrobe and armor items, specifically for roleplay, for all levels. How sad it is for my lvl 30 something character to be able to choose between... linen robe and linen robe and linen robe at the AH! Where is the fashion, people!?! You could make certain desirable items, like blue feathers for a hat, a crafting quest.

As far as environments... think of the places people spend time. My character would like a swimming hole with a functioning rope swing. And maybe a quest to learn to dance, that allows her to learn certain movements....

Firstly, I can not thank you all enough for paying attention to us. The RP community as a whole is pretty use to being ignored. We're like hungry puppies, throw us a bone and we'll likely follow you home yipping with happiness. You would be surprised how many new players will give Rift a try if they see a focus put on us.

I very much love the idea of customizing the game world, it's something I haven't seen much of in MMO. (Not since SWG, or the lesser know Ryzom Ring).

What I really miss in Rift are secluded, hidden places to make your own. I hate to bring up WoW, but since 2005 my main character had a house hidden away in a corner of Ashenvale that I considered my own. It was just a house, probably took the world builders a few minutes to drop an empty, NPC less default house in to the wilderness but it remained something I always happily came back to. (Until of course, Blizzard decided to fill it with NPCs. Heartbreak....)

Another WoW example, the garden area in Stormwind had several empty inns. Durning my server's heyday there were three different player run taverns set up there, another group took over the nearly empty shop in the area and held crafting fares. (Of course, Blizzard decided that was a great area to blow up.... and here I am in Rift ;)

I'd love Rift to have more detailed, "non purposeful" things. Hide a bed roll, a tent I can enter and a campfire on a pretty spot somewhere and I promise someone will find it and have a lot of fun.

My personal favorite RP spot is the Cancel of Labors, especially the downstairs archives area. My book obsessed character has spent many a long hour there with friends talking. I'd like to see more places to sit there, a little table in the corner. Maybe the option to set up a magitech research table, or an apothocary lab should Fyuria put some of her reading to good use.

I also make use of one of the little houses in Fortune's Shore. The only downside is that there's a quest NPC there and my RP is awkwardly interrupted often by her AoE spells when someone leaps through the window to kill her every half hour.

And I'll agree with many others, the say range needs to be shortened. I'm a bit of an RP eavesdropper, and sometimes the roleplay I'm over hearing is so far away that the people speaking can't even be found with a /target. That's way too far. Also makes some of us a bit self conscious to RP in the open, such a huge audience.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by FoxMaiden View Post
    Player/guild housing of some sort.
    Sitting on chairs

Fortune's Shore is my favourite RP spot I would love to see this more spruced up for RPers. Add in a bartender that actually sells drinks AND food. Some extra blank houses that dont have random Guardian npcs in them.

Beds in the inns.

Food, either cooking trade, or purchaseable foodstuffs.

Lower the prices on stuff... its hard to want to buy things when doing so makes you poor.

A nice RP town in Freemarch that isnt Meridian. I was so disappointed when I saw that village south of the iron fortress.

Reduce the /say radius so everyone in Merdian doesnt see a conversation in a small corner.

a hide gloves option to go along with the shoulder and helm.

MACROS for toggling shoulder, helm and (hopefully), gloves.

Get rid of the restriction regarding wearing "non" armour outfits in the wardrobe.
    I love Fortune's Shore as well. But I also think that Lantern Hook has the potential to be an excellent RP spot that some things could be done with. I think it would be fun for a RP guild to create a bazaar type event for buying/selling/bartering goods. This could easily be done in Lantern Hook or Fortune's Shore. Fortune's Shore would be a very cool guild "home" or "base" for a guild that was trade-oriented. I think it would be fun if a guild was formed with the focus of its members being fairly shady individuals that stoop to thieving and whatever other dishonorable deed in order to profit. Thieving and making dishonest money by day, drinking and gambling by night lol. Maybe a black market type of organization that operates out of Fortunes Shore. It would be a fun way to bring in-game crafting into RP. Aaanyway..back on topic. Sorry, mind wanders.

General Wish List for RP:

- make the /walk animation a little slower and more fluid. Its fast and choppy atm.
    - audible and animated emotes
    - PLAYER AND/OR GUILD HOUSING PLZ!!! It would be a big project, not sure if its doable...but I think that guild housing would be nifty. It can be built and created as the guild levels and as guildies participate in guild quests and stuff. Accomplishments and leveling can be rewarded by a currency that allows the guild to purchase buildings and decor and whatnot.
    - Create more RP style gear of all armor types from pretty dresses to elaborate plate and chain to neat looking leather armor. On this note, add in more dye colors!
    - Put in some sort of hair color/style changing feature so that we're not stuck with the same 'do forever.

Soulwalker

I'd love to see renown affect NPCs.

If your character Jonn gained a title such as, let's say, "the Dragonslayer" (name and title are just examples), I'd love to walk into a place like a tavern and hear the barkeep say with astonishment, "Look, it's the Dragonslayer!" followed by patrons and waitresses saying, "It's him!" "It's Jonn!" I can't believe I lived to see this day!" "Hail, Dragonslayer!" and so on. Much like the crowd cheers in the Gloamwood tavern when you set the trophy hound on the table.

Soulwalker

Oh, and the tavern bard idea rocks. Pay the minstrel 10 copper and he'll play a little ditty for you and everyone else to enjoy. ;)

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha View Post
    1. An empty cave
    2. Empty buildings that have seating/fires/food about
    3. Some empty dwarven sized buildings and furniture

Off topic, I agree about the being able to sit in chairs option!

In any case thanks for asking, and I'm happy to see the devs care about and are asking about rp!
    GFE +1!!!

I want to see more places in the world of Telara that offers RP and Immersion outside of the city pub. I love exploring and it would be awesome to come across empty caves (even if they are the same models you currently are using)
    Would gives RP'ers more desire to use the mountains for sure!

I want to come across empty or abandoned camps that we can use during some sort of epic journey or a random place that people set up camp in between trade runs. Empty buildings to hole up in while hiding from some foul creatures.

Oh ya.. that's what I would love to have.

First of all, I just resubscribed to the game just to show my appreciation for adding the Wardrobe function and for doing this thread in the first place. Attention to roleplayers = more profit.

The chairs and /say range have been brought up and I'll just voice my support for these without further ado.

One of my biggest gripes, on top of these, was that aggro from out-leveled mobs has to go. It's a complete dealkiller for my RP experience - in its current state, Rift's world is very unfriendly towards roleplay that makes use of the environment and the work that was put into creating beautiful landscapes. A roleplayer will want to immerse themselves in the world and take their time to consider their lines and emotes, and this is severely hindered by having to dodge mob aggro and fight off level 2 wolves mid-sentence.

On the same line, the game needs locations that serve a purpose other than housing a quest NPC. Roleplayers gravitate towards unique, interesting places that they can make their own. Instead of locked doors everywhere, add furnished interiors that you can enter and utilize. They don't need to be anything special, a bed, a table, shelves and some worldly possessions would be enough. Warehouses, smuggler dens, caves, gardens, anything that makes you go 'whoa this is neat' without having to rip through a herd of mobs. It's very inconvenient and badly distracts from enjoying the roleplay opportunities.

Add guest rooms in taverns and inns. Make the world feel like it has people living their everyday lives, waking up in the morning, going to their jobs, retiring to eat and rest with their families in the evening. This doesn't mean scripting up NPCs with day cycles, just drop in cues like the aforementioned homes and settlements and locations and fill them with items telling their own stories. The roleplayers will fill in the rest.

The key element to designing content for RPers is that they make the stories on their own, you just need to give them the tools to get started with it. You need to step back from the idea that all game content needs to involve crunching numbers, acquiring items and killing things. Right now you have this gorgeous world that encourages you to explore and discover, but only as long as you crunch lots and lots of delicious numbers while at it.
    A large part of the roleplayer base wants to see that world beyond its most superficial surface, and beyond the heroes and epic warriors into the ordinary lives of the people. What do the heroes do when they come home from adventures, to their spouses and children? Go on a walk along the beach and hack through a hundred sea monsters? I know the game mechanics state we're all Ascended warriors, but it's important to grasp that roleplayers can and will want to deviate from the immediate gameplay and they will readily ignore class functions as well to portray a character in the way they like.

I'd also like to see the walking animations adjusted. They could do with being slower, more gentle and relaxed, and more fluid. I would also appreciate adding clothing options like peasants' outfits, long dresses, different meshes for trousers like baggy pants and skirts.. Shirts with billowy sleeves and less revealing options for women. I play female characters nearly without exception and highly prefer for them to have agency and realistic clothes.

Anyway, that was my two cents, coming from a veteran RPer. Thanks for hearing us out!

Soulwalker

I primarily skimmed the thread. However, I believe I have a few points to be made of my own.

First off, chat message length is pretty small. It's hard to string more than two sentences together without hitting the cap, being forced to revise what is going to be said and to still get your point across without having to make multiple message posts. Some roleplayers can be extremely descriptive and/or verbose. Short chat limits curb that considerably. If the concern is for huge paragraphs of spam in zone and level channels, it might be something best limited to say and emote commands only, should that be changed.

Second, the maximum length of mail messages is also extremely small. My character recently had craft orders to be delivered in multiple high level regions well beyond his capacity. In the course of getting there, I had to sneak my character through several Guardian towns, dodge Guardian Ascended that might shadow me in the hopes I get a PvP flag from straying too close, navigate numerous treacherous mazes of enemies and cheat death at every turn. I play with one other person regularly. While this was a solo excursion, I thought I would write up a descriptive account and share the adventure through the game mail system. After all, correspondence seems a very fitting communication tool in a roleplay setting. Far more so than long-range whispers. It took 11 parts to get less than 20% through, just for an abbreviated version. It took so much effort to whittle the parts down in length while still having them begin and end in logical places that I was forced to give up entirely.

Third, there needs to be more locations than just taverns. Not all characters are a natural fit-in for tavern roleplay. It's a very traditional place, certainly, but not the only kind of place to go. A hidden thieves guild in an unremarkable port town that's concealed in a system of natural caves beneath a cluster of warehouses or a moderately sized gladiatorial arena nestled just far enough away from the big city to almost be a backwater but still within arm's reach, appointed for comfortable spectation, gambling and the hosting of tournaments... Even a small performance theater could attract roleplay and encourage players to set to the stage to provide an evening's diversion.

Fourth, don't make the mistake of putting roleplay elements directly center stage in the middle of everything else. They should be simple to find, multi-purpose, out of the way enough to whittle down the number of players that simply took two steps from the porticulum and yet close enough where they can be reached without so much effort that it's pointless to bother.

Fifth, be sure to make them of some practical use in gameplay itself to encourage players to go there, but not so dense with it that it makes either other locations pointless OR crowds out roleplay interaction. A hidden thieves den might have a safe place to stash swag, resulting in bank access or perhaps black market auctions. Such a place could have an entire quest line just to gain access to it. An arena, to use that as an example again as well, could serve to assist in the training of warriors and create a demand for crafted item quests to fuel the effort.

Sixth, if you do add anything or develop it, it adds a great deal when there's GM run events based out of roleplay locations. Back in the early days of Ultima Online, there was a robust interaction between immersion staff and players and even a good deal of landmark locations by server as a result of it all, adding personalized history to the servers in the long term and creating a bit more of a player community. It doesn't even have to be around the clock every day on every roleplay server to make it stand out. Some could be heralded, and some could be fairly spontaneous so that players never know what will happen next. I imagine it also gives an avenue of more direct feedback to development staff on what players think is really cool, even if it would eat a little money out of the budget.

Oh, I'd also like to share an anecdote related to the topic at hand, since I can't edit my previous post anymore.

I spent two years as an active player on Anarchy Online. If there's any folks from RK1 on here you might remember seeing the name Mirura. Our roleplay group, excellent people all of them, spent an astonishing amount of time simply exploring the hidden interior and exterior locations positioned within the game world, searching through every corner of the planet and walking into every doorway we came across.
    We created offices, military establishments, rebel dens, hacker headquarters, police stations and everything else imaginable out of locations the developers had spent a few minutes putting down and placing into the world for us to discover. We ran insurgent operations out of the sewers of a major corporate city.
    It has provided us with brilliant experiences and their value can't be measured in any amount of money, and I still return to the game constantly on my free account to relive those amazing stories we weaved with the toys we'd been given.

To this date no other game has provided me such an immense feeling of wonder and discovery. Rift has every opportunity to rise to the same level if the developers only care to look beyond the most vocal parts of the PvP and PvE playerbase.
    Last edited by Otterly; 05-10-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Trion could determine where we roleplay simply by adding features and clearing things away from certain areas. So don't worry too much about where we are rolpelaying right now. I know people RP by a tree in Meridian, it is a terrible spot, only picked because there are so few places to go.

We need areas clear of quest givers, trainers and other types that make players turn up for things have nothing to do with roleplaying. Start of by just trying to set up one for each faction, make it within 30 second ride from the capital. lets me give an example. On the way to Meridian there is a big tent and NPC's at the bottom of the stairs. Imagine that area was set off to one side of the city, just outside the walls, but not on a route into the city. That would be perfect.

If we are talking about a tavern that already exists, quest npc's etc could be parked outside, others have done great ideas for mood I leave that to them.
    Last edited by Pretext; 05-11-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jhulen View Post
    I echo the votes for being able to sit in chairs, and the possibility of player/guild housing.

However, I'd also like to suggest giving mounts walking animations!! Some of us like to or just end up RPing while mounted, and it sort of intrudes on the mood when, when moving a few yards to a new location, say a tavern, your mount ends up galloping there like it was charging into battle! Or maybe you and your friend just want to take a leisurely mounted stroll through the woods. Or whatever. Walking mounts would just be a nice quality of life addition, I think.
    This. This was actually something I had sent in-game during Beta in Likes/Dislikes. That I could not 'Walk' on a mount. Many of us would rather walk our mounts through higher populated areas also in order to avoid feeling as if we're 'running over/into people'.

And if the player 'Walking' animation could be slowed down or smoothed just a bit, that would be nice. The NPCs seem to walk much more gracefully and leisurely than our played characters. Our walking animations look rather stiff and almost as if there's something stuck where something shouldn't be. (Sent that in Beta also under Likes/Dislikes)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast