+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Setting the Stage for Role-Players

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    Hello to our RP community!

We are exploring what we might be able to build into Rift to enhance the experience of our role-playing community. One of the things that we'd like to do is give you some control over the ambience of the places where role-playing is already occurring so that the mood and environment can match your stories and activities. The Blunted Quill in Argent Glade is a good example of a place where lots of people come to role play, so being able to have the tavern assume the proper mood that you or your friends would like for a time would be something we think would help to set the stage. Make the tavern festive for when you finally kill Cindereon, or make it somber for when you're having a wake, or just be able to buy everyone a round of drinks for when you want to celebrate a successful conquest.

As a first step for doing this we'd like to get a sense from you all where in the world do you like to do your role-playing, and what types of moods and ambiences do you wish you could set? A dark somber room to hold your next cabal, or a romantic talk with a friend at the most beautiful overlook in the game. We have a bunch of ideas of things that we can do, but want to hear about what types of settings would help you character/group/guild have more fun putting the RP into the G.
    I'm gonna answer these questions straightforward. Thankfully you guys have already made a rich and diverse world for us.

In Freemarch I would like to have the typical Tavern. Some Emblams and relics on the wall of previous adventerers. Something that looks like a place where people tell a lot of stories and bring trophies to show them off. Like Shennanigans! It should have only three NPC's that do not autotalk. A bartender and two others in the corner. The walls should be like limestone like the rest of meridian and not a tent like the Bahmi bar. There should be hookas on the tables

In Stonefield I would like somesort of two story building inside of one of the hills. Where you have to go down a staircase to be inside. The outside should have one bench and a fire. The inside should like like a Marauders hut or something. Rugs and a fire some seats. Sorta like a Mercanary hideout.

In Scarlet Gorge I would like a massive architectual site inside a cave with sunlight shining in (During the day ) Those construction plateforms against the walls with a large statue being unearthed. Somewhere you'd expect Lara Croft to pop out of. If you played the game you know what kind of atmosphere I'm talking about. There should be a longtable where multiple people can sit

In Scarwood...that one is tough I really don't know. Perhaps a large ritual site with tall pillars and statues.

In Droughtlands I would like to see some abandoned ruins like those Dragon People live in by the mountain (Can't remember what they're called) It should have the feel of it being a Desperato's Hideout in the night

In Shimmersand I would like it at that bad part of fortunes shore. Part of it should be a hut with sheets torn and there should be a large tent right outside the door. It should like like a flee market of Iraq.

In Iron Pine Peak I would like to see something warm. A large fire pit room with arena like seat with an open top where you can still see the blizzard fly by. Not a large hole but large enough. Sorta like a Indian Story Telling time. The close in to the fire the lower it should be. Like a stadium.

In Moonshade it is really hard to make something up. I guess any scottish thing will do. There's hardly any buildings so...

Gloamwood should have an abandoned graveyard or cave.

Stillmoor I think it would be badass if there was a large glooming Cathedral with high towers. Something that would have statues of Vigil but broken because we all know the truth. Church pues should be sittable.

Quote Originally Posted by Phyncs View Post

Stillmoor I think it would be badass if there was a large glooming Cathedral with high towers. Something that would have statues of Vigil but broken because we all know the truth. Church pues should be sittable.

I love this idea for Stillmoor! You could put it up in the hills away from the chaos, maybe in one of the villages you encounter when first entering the zone. Mathosians boasted about their building prowess that supposedly rivaled dwarfs so let's see some of it that's not infested with angry creatures looking for your blood.

I think it's a great idea to give each zone a place to gather. Not only does that give players somewhere to hangout after they turn in a quest without porting back to Sanctum or Meridian, but it also helps keep the population in level appropriate zones up for invasions.

Some feedback from missdoomcookie and captaincursor (or anyone else at Trion for that matter) would be nice. What about the implementation of the naming rules, improvements to facilitate RP, the damn /say range?

Also, i remember in an interview from 5 weeks ago, Simon Ffinch mentioned: "It's just that, as you can appreciate, the list of potential features that we could add to the game is pretty much infinite and it's just a question of prioritizing our time and resources and effort to which ones we think make the most sense to launch first. So player housing has been on that list for longer than we ever went life or before people even knew about Rift. It's just a question of when do we think it will bubble to the top of that list and be the most important thing that we can be working on next."
    Now i'm not asking about player housing. But i'd love to point out that a looooot of people (i'd assume the % is higher on RP shards) would like more sandbox elements in Rift. It is interesting to see how few people are happy with just raid progressions when you ask them about it. But that's another topic for another thread.
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

Default For the Defiant

I'd love to see more going on at Fortune's Shore with interactive furniture or an inn with more than one guest room. This is where a bulk of the 'high level' RPers go - but I notice the lowbies stick in or around Miridian in the Planar College labs. It might be nice to add in more for that area. Classrooms for example?

Chairs! Yes chairs! And leaning against the wall. Coin flipping emotes. Handstands. Something! Give us more and we will use them.

In spirit of the Rhaza'de in Miridian the bantering between the bahmi and the elf is really annoying. PLEASE do not add chatter from the bartender and others in addition. There is enough repeat-ambiance there.

PLAYER HOUSING! House parties do not lessen the rp - nor do guild halls. The ability to lock others out is a good idea but in most games I have seen with housing areas you can hear the emotes from the road just like usual.

I do like the idea of bartenders selling packages for weddings, funerals, any major events that come through etc. Seems like a nice idea.

NEVER FORGET that role-play should go on as you quest, not just while you sit in one spot and do nothing. What is the point of a hero standing around talking about doing good when in truth they should be out fighting and enacting those words? I feel stationary rp is fun, but ultimately should not be the goal of any MMO.

Perhaps there could be more locations added into the wild around random quest areas? Empty homes you can take refuge in at the end of a long night. Caves with a fire? More of those 'secret' rp hideaway places scattered around would be fantastic and then you don't have to change mob density at all you just make safe-nodes nearby. I would not like mob density reduced because I greatly enjoy gathering up massive AOE packs with my partner and going through them. Less dense means less need for AOE.

Soulwalker

Default Passive Information

Useful for both role players and otherwise, a passive/inspectable biography would be a good way to add non-visual detail to a character.

I concur with chairs. This could easilly be expanded, Altars to kneel at come to mind, although defiants might have a diffrent emote in mind...

HATS.
    It would be wonderful to have at least -one- hat which you don't need to get out-of game perks for. (Ascend a Friend, I'm looking at you.)
    Edit: The ability to take a copy of the letter as a parchment, like in WoW.
    Last edited by Skythe; 06-22-2011 at 12:26 PM.
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

Soulwalker

I'll tell my suggestions shortly...

Player housing
    Guild housing
    Partner Animations (e.g. Kiss, Dance, hugging...)
    Real sitting on chars
    Really much more animations

Soulwalker

My ideas are not new, but I will add my tally marks to ideas previously mentioned.

Player/Guild housing
    The ability to sit in chairs
    The distance on /say lowered

That's about all I could ask for when it comes to setting the stage for RP.

Rift Chaser

How about enforcing RP naming policies and stopping RP grieving?

Quote Originally Posted by Maziken View Post
    How about enforcing RP naming policies and stopping RP grieving?
    Seconded!

What is happening now isn't "Setting the Stage for Role-Players", it's "Burning the Stage for Role-Players"

The RP shards are being flooded by non-RPers. Now, if they were to respect some form of RP rules, it would be ok, but many of them simply don't care about RPers and even take pleasure in disturbing the RP community.
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

Soulwalker

I hardly read through every single post in this thread since, to be fair, it's about 4:45 AM and I'm not an active reader even when it's not that late. Ironic really, considering how much I love to roleplay! No matter though.

I do have, however, a suggestion to make. I read somewhere at the beginning that it's important not to forget that it is up to us, the players, and our creativity to make roleplay interesting. I wholeheartedly agree, however this is (and again, pardon me if it has already been mentioned/shot-down) something that the game developers, or rather those that have administrative powers on shards, could sincerely help with.

My biggest frustration with WoW was, for example, that there was simply no support for roleplay - Especially no direct support. For RIFT, I can see that being turned around. I'm not saying we should have gamemasters running around catering to everyone's needs - It simply can't be done. But let us say that a guild creates a storyline for themselves, one that involves intrigue and plot twists and such, then they should get support for that. For example they might go to a place that they claim is haunted to discover a secret of some sort - Instead of simply emoting it all (or raid-warning even), a gamemaster could seriously add to the ambiance by for example adding a fog and doing some localized world emotes. He could have special access to special effects and actually create a roleplaying experience, in co-ordination with the people who have created the story, that is both visually and textually immersive to a far greater extent than what any player or guild on their own could ever hope to achieve.

In addition to that, small things like chairs you can sit on and drinking and animations would all be awesome additions - But in the end it is the storytelling element of RP, and the fact that we can create our own stories as well, is what really brings roleplaying to life for most players. As a game developer team that shows such genuine interest in their roleplaying community, I think a real precedent could be set if certain shard are assigned special people with the task of communicating with that shards' guilds and major RP groups to create a more immersive, living and breathing environment even beyond what the games' regular lore and quests offer you.

Soulwalker

My desires for a better RP atmosphere:
    FIX THE WALKING ANIMATIONS
    Reduce the distance of /say to a maybe 1/4 of the current
    Give us a /whisper that lets us speak in a very (say within melee range) close range
    Silent emotes! Please! What I mean is the ability to /giggle without the display of *RPer giggles.* This would allow us to work in custom emotes and have an appropriate animation with them without spamming.
    While I'm on the subject, currently /giggle is NOT a giggle. Just fyi lol It's more of rotfl Just saying.

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'll echo two of the sentiments expressed here already -- (1) thank you very much for posting this thread and showing interest in supporting the RP community, and (2) for the love of every deity in the Vigil, a thousand times yes on adding clickable chairs to sit in.

Concerning ambience, I made a post in the suggestions forum that I think is relevant. I'd love to see the lute and flute items from lucky coins have a looping animation that lasts until cancelled, same as the functionality of /dance and other emotes, rather than the current eight second duration. Not only is it annoying for players to keep clicking, it would look more natural in a tavern setting to see the bard strumming away for a few minutes by the fire, rather than spasmodically drawing her weapons every few seconds as the item resets.

Also in the category of props, I'd like to see more non-weapon items for weapon slots. The shovel is a good start, but more of the RP "basics" would be awesome -- torches, lanterns, baskets, tankards, goblets, bottles, legs of mutton, frying pans, bouquets of flowers, pitchforks, brooms, anything along those lines. A variety of things to hold and carry would add a lot to the atmosphere.

-Taming pets. While I believe that the current pets for the Necromancer, Elementalist, Ranger, Druid, and Beastmaster should stay as such (and also be more 'canon' class pets as shown in a Realm of the Fae Beastmaster epic quest), I'd absolutely love a way to 'reskin' (in a way) my pets into something else.

Druids can 'tame' Fae, allowing them access to different types of fairies, brownies, etc. For the satyr, that could be replaced by a bogling, etc.

Necromancer could tame many of the undead mobs around (Note: we shouldn't be able to tame Rift or dungeon mobs, but open-world mobs should be quite accessible).

Elementalist could reskin their elementals into other types rumbling around. I'd love to change my Lesser Earth Elemental into one of the rumbly ones in Stonefield. I hate the lack of variety they have.

Rangers should be able to tame the more striking animals, like the wolves of Freemarch, the scarabs, etc. Beastmasters should be able to tame the more swift animals, like the tigers/cats, crocodiles, sicklehorns.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14