+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Setting the Stage for Role-Players

Soulwalker

I agree with pretty much everything said with emphasis on sitting, player housing / open houses, and slowing down player walking. The NPC's walk at a normal pace and it'd be nice if we didn't look like wind up toys. Another thing, for elves specifically, if they didn't always check their nails. It does not fit many rp personas as it lacks in subtlety. And thank you Trion for working so hard at this.

Smile Sanctuary - yes!

I am very new to this game... but one thing I most certainly noticed... tired and battled worn I would stop to pause for a moment and then BAM! I'm hit from behind ... respawning is great for leveling but, not for just taking a few moments to take it all in and digest what happened previously..

Now if there was a marker on the map that suggested I could go there to "regroup" and have a little R&R.. and "enemy free" that would be reeeealy nice! It would be nice to enjoy the wonderful world around me .. and really appreciate the spetacular graphics you've worked so hard on.

I play PSU and it was nice to have my own home and different ways to decorate... even "theme" packages.. also the way players could enter each other's home was nice.. it could be locked to so only your friends could enter.. or it could be opened to "drop ins" and chat was limited to players occupying the "space" also PSU had a party system that filtered the chat to only those in your party or group..

I enjoyed sitting in chairs, or on the floor, throwing imaginary pepples, hugging waving .. being able to interact with other players in a meaningful way.. shaking hands, slaps on the back, laughing (animated actions) being able to hold a cup and drinking from it on command.

for those inclined romance would be nice.. this was - IS - a big draw for me on DA:O and DA2... it doesn't have to be raunchy - I still think one of the sexiest scenes in a movie was in Dirty Dancing and and that was PG13.. because of the dancing.. LOL! but, that was the way we danced

this may have all been said.. but just some observations.. and suggestions..

again I just want to say this is a great game, but I would like a little "breathing room"

Cool can't edit soo

PSU is PhantasyStar Universe.. for those that didn't know.. sorry, DA:O and DA2 are DragonAge: Origins and Dragaon Age 2.

Shadowlander

Cool

If it hasn't already been said, I would like to see pet emotes. Phobos the Shady is more likely to be in a dark corner tossing his cat a piece of jerky than cracking jokes around the table.

I'm hoping to move to an RPPVP shard from PVP when I have the chance. this thread has me even more excited!

While i also wish to bump this thread, i'd like to also make an off topic observation and point you people to an interesting article:
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06...f-the-endgame/
    (Very off topic, i know. But i think the article has valid aspects for a lot of people)

And because the Captain and Missdoomcookie (who are some my favorite members of the dev team) are hopefully still following this thread, maybe the link will catch the team's attention.
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

Please place a second Bahmi tent somewhere outside Meridian, but don't fill every inch of it with NPCs. Keep it NPC-free so players can use it for guild meetings or just general RP.
    ~*~Dureena Nafeel~*~
    ~*~Defiant Cleric of Faeblight~*~

Soulwalker

A small thing that is RP positive is having the characters animate to /say and /yell.

/say
    -Regular sentances should have their hands moving around and mouths moving
    -Questions should have them shaking their head or whatever is culturally acceptable to the race.
    -Exclamations should have them cupping their mouths or stomping the ground

/yell
    -Could be like exclamations

Maybe some more animations that are static like sitting where the character is doing something like shy, dissapoint, sad, proud, angry, hurt, cry, and maybe an emote where they are inspecting or playing with their weapon.

And one specific emote that I know people would love...the taunt! Keep it serious no nahneynahney boo boo faces. Like the bahmi should beat on their chest and roar.

One other thing about emotes. PLEASE TRION DO NOT BE CHEAP AND HAVE ONE SET OF EMOTES FOR EACH RACE...MAKE THEM UNIQUE AND MAKE IT ACCORDING TO THEIR RACE AND CLASS.

P.S. I know half of the developers challange with these ideas for RP is if it fits with the rest of the community. PVP'rs. They can if the animations won't be trolly

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    As a first step for doing this we'd like to get a sense from you all where in the world do you like to do your role-playing, and what types of moods and ambiences do you wish you could set?
    Personally, as a Defiant healer, I'd love to have a lab or hospital setting to work with. The Planar College is nice for general book research, but one cannot perform lab experiments in a library!

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Rakanishu View Post
    While i also wish to bump this thread, i'd like to also make an off topic observation and point you people to an interesting article:
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06...f-the-endgame/
    (Very off topic, i know. But i think the article has valid aspects for a lot of people)

And because the Captain and Missdoomcookie (who are some my favorite members of the dev team) are hopefully still following this thread, maybe the link will catch the team's attention.
    That link is great. Part of what makes the game continue is to roleplay. But it is really up to the player to do that. Still the developers can make rp more interesting. After all it is a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game

Default ideas for implementing and socializing rp

1. Treasure Map quests, specifically scaled for Groups on RP servers, could be vended at shady characters in gathering spots.
    2. Developers could more closely control and interactively role play challenging and unusual Rift invasions, varying and improving reward drops, perhaps awarding XP to well-played low levels or, where xp is nonsense (L50), other boons/quests/opportunities.
    3. Instead of player housing (we know the headaches there) let players be made able to pitch a camp anywhere outside a certain radius of a town. It would add interest were we able to decide what elements of the campsite should go where.
    4. If said campsite idea were implemented let there be a toggle option for the campsite owner to enable/disable a gradually increasing chance of the camp itself triggering area-context appropriate hostiles, like bandits and similar.
    5. Definitely need various refreshments and imbibing emotes.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by OriginalTibs View Post
    Treasure Map quests, specifically scaled for Groups on RP servers, could be vended at shady characters in gathering spots.
    This would be something neat to put on those traveling merchants. Or even other types of random quests. The merchant tells you "I found this book in my travels, and it speaks of a lost city, I wonder if it could be found" and then you could follow clues in the book to find the city which might have buried treasure, a lost civilization or rampaging monsters. You might also find an innocent looking ring for sale, but note (in the flavor text of the item) that it has an inscription in a language you don't recognize. If you buy the ring, you could go visit various scholars and try to get the inscription translated. Who knows where that might lead!

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    As a first step for doing this we'd like to get a sense from you all where in the world do you like to do your role-playing, and what types of moods and ambiences do you wish you could set? A dark somber room to hold your next cabal, or a romantic talk with a friend at the most beautiful overlook in the game. We have a bunch of ideas of things that we can do, but want to hear about what types of settings would help you character/group/guild have more fun putting the RP into the G.
    Someone earlier mentioned a lab. I have a character that could really make use of a lab/library setup, though less medical and more chemistry and demolitions.

My guild actually does most of its RP at Three Springs in Moonshade. We've "taken over" the lodge there and officially pretend it's our HQ (though other people are welcome to use it for whatever they want, of course! We don't kick people out!). I would love to see an opportunity to have more real guild HQ support. On the other hand, it would probably have to be instanced and that would not really be good for RP.

Other than that, my guild tends to do a lot of RP out in the field. We don't do a lot in Argent Glade or Sanctum (Sometimes but not usually) and have made a habit of branching out into wherever we are. I'd like to see a few more accessible spots across the world that are RP-suitable for a bunch of different occasions (I could've really used a dark cabal location pretty recently for a particular RP).

For example, if we could go in most of those houses in Gloamwood Pines, that'd be awesome. Or, if there were open houses in Gloamwood Pines with little hidden areas for RP (a basement with an evil ritual circle in one, for example), that'd be really sweet. Scarlet Gorge and Scarwood Reach don't have many RP spots outside the tiny outposts. I know a lot of these are off the beaten path, but at least from my guild's perspective, if you build it, we will come ;) Fortune's Shore is an amazing city (seriously my favorite in the game, it actually feels more like a trading hub than most MMO towns I've seen) but I wish it had more buildings to visit and more RP locales. (also a bank but that's a different thread)

I'd also like to see some of the other towns more accessible to lower-level players. I know this isn't entirely feasible, but for example: I LOVE Lantern Hook and Fortune's Shore and they make AWESOME RP spots (my guild has had a few RP moments down there). However, as a Guardian player, it's really hard and tedious to get to either location unless I've gotten the quest to go to Lantern Hook and that's in the mid-30s. Also, the Chancel of Labors is another GREAT RP spot that's just plain tough for lowbies to get to. I've run level 20s to those spots, but only under the watchful gaze of a 50 or two and it took hours to hit all three locations at once.

Perhaps a description tab where we can write a short (maybe the length of two mail messages, max) description of our character.

Also, I support the clickable chairs ;)
    Player on Shadefallen
    Guardians: Ric | Korius | Andreker
    Defiant: Arsalan | Khalmun | Aricos

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyKzink View Post

I'd also like to see some of the other towns more accessible to lower-level players. I know this isn't entirely feasible, but for example: I LOVE Lantern Hook and Fortune's Shore and they make AWESOME RP spots (my guild has had a few RP moments down there). However, as a Guardian player, it's really hard and tedious to get to either location unless I've gotten the quest to go to Lantern Hook and that's in the mid-30s. Also, the Chancel of Labors is another GREAT RP spot that's just plain tough for lowbies to get to. I've run level 20s to those spots, but only under the watchful gaze of a 50 or two and it took hours to hit all three locations at once.
    *cough* guild summon *cough*

No seriously. You can use the guild rally banner to summon lower level guildies to the place you want them to be. It's how i got a bunch of people to Fortune's Shore fast.

Edit: Yeah, i know it's not a very... elegant.. solution. But it is a solution.
    Last edited by Rakanishu; 06-15-2011 at 06:22 AM.
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

Can we get some feedback on where Trion is with this thread and the suggestions so far? Also, can we get some feedback on the changes to the naming policy that was discussed a while ago.

Thanks!

Plane Touched

I'm co-leader of my guild with FrostyKzink. As he said, we RP a lot, and in a lot of different places. More places would be awesome. It doesn't have to be a tavern or something--just a place that characters can gather that people aren't running through all the time. In fact, I would love stranger buildings, like places characters can use for hideouts, or a clinic, and so on.

A lot of people have mentioned interactive chairs, which we most definitely do need.

There are several items in the game which can turn your character into another creature. You can get many of these from Rifts. There is also the sheeping wand, and a few Apothecary potions. The Rift items and sheeping wand last for about half an hour. The potions usually last for a minute at most. This is really inconvenient, because we've had a lot of fun turning into stuff and RPing it, and as an Apothecary I can make these potions for people, but if the duration is so short, there isn't much point. It seems odd that they don't last nearly as long as the other ones. And who is really going to use those things, except us?

I'd like to add that I want more wardrobe options. I love the wardrobe slots, but I would like it if you could make a slot "blank." For example, if you want a casual outfit without gloves, right now you would have to unequip the gloves from your character, or they would still show up in your outfit. Speaking of casual outfits, I would love more of those. Many characters don't hang around in armor all the time. Finally, I'd like the wardrobe to allow you to wear whatever armor you can equip, instead of just one type. A cleric should be able to equip leather and cloth in their wardrobe slots if they can equip them normally.
    The Blades of Silver | Heavy RP | Guardian | Shadefallen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast