+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Setting the Stage for Role-Players

Captaincursor, I just want to thank you for remaining active in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    Every single meeting we have about making new zones begins with almost that exact phrase. We completely agree.
    Not really RP-related, but having observed both zone invasions and regular questing, I currently hypothesize that the limiting factor on server population is the playability of zones with a given number of players in them; on servers with a lot of free trials, I get killed by respawns because things respawn nearly instantly. So far as I can tell, the servers are nowhere near a capacity at which they stop serving smoothly, but the game doesn't work as well when zones are full. So adding zones would help a lot with building servers with more players.

Speaking of which, another RP-related thing:

A "mentoring" system or something similar allowing people to play at a lower level would be insanely helpful to RP. There is a lot of fun to adventuring with someone who's "more powerful", or being a sidekick or whatever, but the power gap between, say, 50 and 20, is a little much to swallow... I'd love to be able to join up with people for adventures that are appropriate to their level without breaking everything.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Plane Walker

Every single meeting we have about making new zones begins with almost that exact phrase. We completely agree.
    I just want to point out that the person to whom this dev was responding said the "World is too small", not "zones are too small". The LAST thing I want to see are larger zones...it already takes quite a while to get from one side to the other (i.e., shimmersand). This is especially an issue in Rift where you need to travel quickly to get to boss fights (before the boss dies!)

Of course, you could make it so that mounts go faster. That would make up for it.

I agree wholeheartedly that the mob density is too high.

Telaran

Visual is really important for RPers. As such one way to explore would be improving the character's look customization and so building on the actual tools.

May I suggest:
    • Allow players to hide/show any slot of equipment, even pants! (Could make some funny events/encounters)
    • (More tricky) Differentiate left and right slots for hands, shoulders, feet. (ex: leather glove in one hand, behind the shield arm, and plate one in the other)
    • Allow any item that a character can equip to be used in the wardrobe (ex: Warriors in clothes)
    • Statless social clothing. (Ex: plate for wizards, why not?)
    • Allow to zoom in and out in the character doll window and allow to resize it
    • Add an edit/view mode in the wardrobe slot displaying all the available dyes
      • Allow players to preview they character look with multiple and different dyes at once.
    • Add a third dyes area in all new items introduced in the game.
    • Add more dyes colors, especially textures like metal and leather
    • Add more shiny effects that can be toggled/applied to items like auras
    • Add magic tattoos as armours/enhancements (AoC players would drool)
    • Add Key binding options to all the wardrobe slots
    • Guild (or not) tabards
    • Allow female characters to wear male gear (not a joke)
    • Add a cloak slot
    • Flag poles in the back like Japanese medieval warriors
    • Add shields and weapons slots in the wardrobe

For the record, the last entry is still one of the most requested feature in LotRo.

P.S: I enjoy Rift daily ;)
    Last edited by deewe; 05-24-2011 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    I'd say that's a start.

I just hope you guys will enlarge the playground that is Telara relatively soon. (not saying tomorrow, i'm mean in the next 12 months or so)
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

TLDR: You can reuse and repurpose old content and still serve the RP community.

Full disclosure: I don't RP or play on an RP server. That being said, I have a soft spot in my heart for people who can immerse themselves and add a sense of depth and character to the world I play in.

There are a few things, RP wise, I'd love to see added to the game; their potential value is obviously up for debate.

"Invest in land, it's the only thing they're not making any more."

It’s a wise saying in the real world, but utterly meaningless within a videogame. While many hours are spent sculpting mountains and incorporating hundreds of line-of-sight objects, its disappointing that everything in the game needs to serve a ‘grand-scheme-of-things’ purpose in terms of character or storyline progression.

There’s any number of beautiful buildings, interiors and set pieces that already exist. Couldn’t many of these be duplicated and repurposed somewhere else, free of their established NPCs and mobs? Replace a quest NPC with a barkeep. Replace mobs with laborers and keep their pathing.

Whether you implement a small farming village off in the middle of nowhere with vast fields of produce, or a small town of shops and storefronts, there has to be a way to fit “non-progressive” content into some new zones without requiring major manpower by the developers. After all, you’re still making new land. These out of the way locations would be fantastic spots to add the occasional Tradeskill device like an anvil or loom, or more, fun recipe trainers. Which brings me to:

Two Birds with One Stone

Another suggestion I have helps more than one aspect of the game: Flavor items. Whether you’re dealing with costumes, laborers tools or consumable items like food and drink, I think you’re missing out on a major opportunity to incorporate additions to the professions.

Add a “costumes” field to Outfitting and Armorsmithing. Add “Tools” (or something) to Weaponsmiths (in lieu of a Blacksmithing profession), a secondary “Jewelry” or “Ornaments” to Articifers, etc. Use tradeskills as a means of spreading flavor through the game. While NPC distributers help remove currency from the game (aka moneysinks), players are always looking for new ways to make a buck or get more use out of their tradeskills.

Heck, if you really wanted to take a risk, develop a secondary tool that allows players to create their own textures and skins for pre-established models. Their would obviously be the need for some safeguards in place, but players texturing their own suits or gowns could provide quite a bit of variety for players trying to develop a unique look.

I don’t expect monumental changes in the game. The one thing I desire, personally, is the chance to see how the world actually works. Economy drives the world and influences the layout of civilization. If you put down a 50 yard by 50 yard fence and throw a bunch of cows inside it, I’ll accept that it helps explain how residents of a zone feed themselves. If there’s a military training barracks off in the mountains, I’ll believe that’s where the defense of the zone originates from. Just add the worldbuilding elements and the players themselves can be the ones to flesh it all out. Hopefully, such things can be done without the need to invest in too many new structures or designs.

By showing the story of the people and their daily lives, we learn more about Telara than a hundred NPCs and their quests.

Great post, Denna.

You are right: as it stands now, the inhabitants and places of Telara are only there to serve quest progression.

What are Telarans eating? I doubt they all live off squirrel meat and the three or so farms (2 in freemarch, one in moonshade) - the farms that have been overrun by quest mobs, btw.

This world could use some farms.. some ways to actually plausibly feed the survivors of the last wars. Even those damn dragon cultists that apparently constitute 80% of telaran population would have to eat ( i guess).
    As it stands now, our characters are more replaceable than our gear...
    My character is not a coat hanger!

I'm constantly searching for places to RP. If there were areas that had nothing to do with progression, no enemies and buildings with nice interiors I would be there all the time. Add in the ability to sit in chairs and I'm set. I know you can stand on a chair and sit down (which I do all the time,) but it looks a bit silly. Please just add in sitting in chairs.
    ------------------------------------
    Somerset - Defiant Cleric Healer

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a night.
    Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Cool Coming in late.

A late opinion here, but I'll give it a crack. Also, let me just say, it is fantastic seeing Trion paying attention to their roleplayer community.

[1] Shoreward Island. This place has a lot, I mean a lot of potential. Despite the stigma of it being a hotspot for not-so-G-rated roleplay, if there was a bit more work done to it -- it could be brilliant. Remove that useless House, for example, and stick a large NPC-devoid hall there. Guilds could band together and use it as a shared headquarters. Hell, the Sage Spire is the perfect model -- that place would be brilliant without the NPCs. Shoreward is easy to access for all levels, it's simple and it would be a major boon to active communities and guilds that wished to ally themselves together there, which I'm sure most RP guilds would.

[2] Hostile Guards in towns like Argent Glade that flag players who they attack. Some may disagree with me here, but I honestly believe that the lack of hostile guards in villages like this detracts from immersion. If we see a defiant come there, we want blood to be shed. I cannot begin explaining how many times my character has sat there arguing with a Defiant to ask them to leave, only to be 'bluewalled' as the term goes. I have no issue attacking a level 50, or a level 15, it's irrelevant to me -- we're at war, the Defiant are anathema, we should be able to defend that declaration.

[3] Interactive Chairs. Please!

[4] Cloaks. This may just be a personal thing, but a long and regal cloak can add so much to a character. Really. Especially for Guild Leaders or Officers as a uniform, a cloak can identify you from the masses. It is something that should definitely be considered, even perhaps for aesthetic reasons alone!

[5] Guild Tabards / Crests. This is a must, in my eyes, for better immersion. Displaying your guild colours proudly can be a sign of declaration for true roleplayers. I don't know someone's guild by the <GuildName> above their heads, I want to learn it by seeing a mark or insignia on their body! I want to be able to identify myself as a proud member of my guild. This is essential, I feel, to improved roleplay.

That's all for now.

I have a big problem with ANY forced-flagging.

Here's the thing: Gameplay has to trump realism sometimes. I have weirdly defective social processing; it upsets me very seriously to get attacked by another player. Ever. For any reason. Even "/duel me so I can show you how this attack works". I can't handle that.

So I play on a PvE server, and I expect to never, ever, get flagged or attacked by another player. And I'm happy.

I don't mind if guards kill me, but I would be very, very, unhappy if they could flag me.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

biggest thing for me is being able to add to my emotes like in LoTRo, so it still does the action but adds more text for better explanation

/dance "a merrily jig to the music"

*[Unloved] dances a merrily jig to the music*

/bow "slightly while keeping her eyes locked on Danny"

*[Unloved] bows slightly while keeping her eyes locked on Danny"

WE NEED THESE EMOTES!
    /faint <sometimes i just need to faint>
    /stand <you have to move or jump to break sit this will break sit>
    /smoke <over 18 game should include things like this>
    /eat <no food? i guess ascended only need liquids to survive>
    /drink <can be activated in sit mode or stand mod>
    /dance1 <more more more dances>
    /dance2 <more more more dances>
    /dance3 <more more more dances>

as previously mentioned add chairs we can sit on..

have more options like the hide helmet and hide shoulders - hide gloves, hide boots also make it accesible with chat commands /hidehelmet turns on or off helmet. one for every piece of gear

Unlock Wardrobe so you can use any piece of gear you like no restrictions. then make WF's Wardrobe free or Have the option to Hide enemies wardrobe if you like to pvp...

more towns is asking a lot but more safehavens with inns, churches, machinist shops that follow along the lore

Enable Floating Text (above the head of the speaker)
    /ft Hello My name is Jayden Moon Welcome to my Humble inn
    global chat makes rping more jumbled and confusing, hard to concentrate on one person when there are multiple people rping at the same time Floating test like damage text makes it easier

all i got now gotta head to work
    Baaaaah

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I have a big problem with ANY forced-flagging.

Here's the thing: Gameplay has to trump realism sometimes. I have weirdly defective social processing; it upsets me very seriously to get attacked by another player. Ever. For any reason. Even "/duel me so I can show you how this attack works". I can't handle that.

So I play on a PvE server, and I expect to never, ever, get flagged or attacked by another player. And I'm happy.

I don't mind if guards kill me, but I would be very, very, unhappy if they could flag me.
    Why would you even go somewhere where they would?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucaeyn Stormsword View Post
    Why would you even go somewhere where they would?
    Well, I probably wouldn't intentionally.

In WoW, though, I got flagged dozens of times by "new and improved" flagging mechanics -- for doing things like going too close to a particular town, or entering a region far from any capital but which was declared to be a flagging area, or whatever. This was pretty unfun, and I hated it.

Thing is, I like to explore. I wander around Scarlet Gorge looking for artifacts and exploring. Heck, I intentionally get killed by the lift guards sometimes because it's still faster than going the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Well, I probably wouldn't intentionally.

In WoW, though, I got flagged dozens of times by "new and improved" flagging mechanics -- for doing things like going too close to a particular town, or entering a region far from any capital but which was declared to be a flagging area, or whatever. This was pretty unfun, and I hated it.

Thing is, I like to explore. I wander around Scarlet Gorge looking for artifacts and exploring. Heck, I intentionally get killed by the lift guards sometimes because it's still faster than going the other way around.
    I can understand your reservation, but I still think Hostile guards in Guardian and Defiant strongholds / townships that HAVE a Guardian or Defiant military presence only makes sense. It is a tough deal, but it cuts down on the whole 'I'm bluewalling and thus can do whatever the eff I want'. It's extremely frustrating, especially if you roleplay a Guardian as wanting to exterminate the 'heretics' as I and a lot of my friends do. It can make a vein throb.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucaeyn Stormsword View Post
    I can understand your reservation, but I still think Hostile guards in Guardian and Defiant strongholds / townships that HAVE a Guardian or Defiant military presence only makes sense.
    I am totally fine with hostile guards. As long as there is no flagging involved unless I attack them.

It is a tough deal, but it cuts down on the whole 'I'm bluewalling and thus can do whatever the eff I want'.
    If you want to be able to attack other players who do not want to PvP, consider a PvP server.

It's extremely frustrating, especially if you roleplay a Guardian as wanting to exterminate the 'heretics' as I and a lot of my friends do. It can make a vein throb.
    Then don't play on a PvE server?

Seriously, some of us really need a guarantee of not-flagging to enjoy the game. If you find it upsetting that other people are able to not PvP, then you should not be on a PvE server, because you are not comfortable with that rule set.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast