+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: (( Give RP shards to the RPers, please. Rules and enforcement are lacking. ))

Default (( Give RP shards to the RPers, please. Rules and enforcement are lacking. ))

Hello. I'm not huge into RP, but I usually enjoy playing on RP shards because of the immersion that is made possible by the RP communities.

Atleast, that's usually my reason for rolling on RP servers... in Rift, RP shards seem pretty much indistinguishable from the non-RP versions... people use the /say and /yell channels for out-of-character conversations all the time; I see names like "haxor" and "uberleet" all the time; and the few times I've seen people actually RPing; they have been accompanied by several griefers.

I'd like to see some strict rules established specifically for RP servers, about naming and behavior; and harsh punishments for breaking those rules.

When naming a character on an RP shard, players should get a little 'pop up' explaining to them the nature and expectations of that server.

Players who violate the RP naming policy should be given a warning and allowed to change their name for the first offense; given a temporary ban (1-3 days) and again given the opportunity to rename their character for the second offense; and given a longer ban (1 week+), force-transfered to a random (non RP) PvE or PvP shard depending on whether their original server was PvERP or PvPRP, and perma-banned from creating a toon on any RP shard; or transferring a toon to any RP shard (if paid server transfers ever become available). As a side note, this should include pet names.

Behavior violations should do pretty much the same thing minus giving the opportunities to rename... and perhaps allowed 3 warnings before the bans start depending on the nature of the offense... incorrectly using in-character channels like /say and /yell should be given a relative amount of leniency; while things like griefing should be taken more seriously.

Also, I'd like to see "Report Behavior Violation" and "Report Naming Violation" added to the right-click menus on characters' portraits and their names in chat for efficiency's sake.
    Last edited by Haliaeetus; 04-10-2011 at 11:03 PM.

Yeah about that. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think DnD is still releasing new rules. MMO RP has NEVER been anything worth the time of rolling in one, unless you like LIGHT RP. MMO RP servers tend to lean to either Bad raiding servers, or ERP servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Quote Originally Posted by Naronas View Post
    Yeah about that. Don't take this the wrong way, but I think DnD is still releasing new rules. MMO RP has NEVER been anything worth the time of rolling in one, unless you like LIGHT RP. MMO RP servers tend to lean to either Bad raiding servers, or ERP servers.
    MMO RP is worth it to those who RP, and those who RP expect to be able to on RP servers. I'm glad you mentioned ERP though - that should not be tolerated if let out of control either. If players can keep it private, that's their own thing; but if it gets in the way of other players, time to swing the ban hammer... it got a bit out of control in WoW on a few servers; I'd prefer not to see that here.

Also, forgot to mention in the OP:

The violation count should reset after a certain period of time, like 1 or 2 months, to prevent banning people who only occasionally slip up - the intent is to weed out those who make a habit of it.

Ascendant

and exactly who should enforce these rules? in a shard where 3+k people are writing 100+ message each minute, who in this word is fast enough to read everything, decide if an action is needed, contact the "offender", hear his side of the thing and apply a penalty? Santa?
    you would need nearly as much gms as there are customers for each server just for chat offenses...
    just not affordable.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Haliaeetus View Post
    MMO RP is worth it to those who RP, and those who RP expect to be able to on RP servers. I'm glad you mentioned ERP though - that should not be tolerated if let out of control either. If players can keep it private, that's their own thing; but if it gets in the way of other players, time to swing the ban hammer... it got a bit out of control in WoW on a few servers; I'd prefer not to see that here.

Also, forgot to mention in the OP:

The violation count should reset after a certain period of time, like 1 or 2 months, to prevent banning people who only occasionally slip up - the intent is to weed out those who make a habit of it.

What it SHOULD be is irrelevant though, the fact of the matter is this is what it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walsingham View Post
    Yes, if you need to know, Vespera hit me with a big pointy spiky thing. It was immensely painful.

Ascendant

Op, do you know that the game give you tools to create private chat channels? its missing only the option to ad a PW to it.
    just create a new channel, invite everyone of your "accepted rpgers" group on it ad ignore the unwashed masses wo wont rp.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

I had a chat with a GM about this and was told that all shards are treated the same as far as rules go, so I don't think this will change. BTW my text says your text is ugly, just saying
    http://sigcdn.siglaunch.com/sigs/rift/29903/rift-forum-signature.png

I like to think of WoW as the Hindenburg, On these forums it always ends up in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizo View Post
    and exactly who should enforce these rules? in a shard where 3+k people are writing 100+ message each minute, who in this word is fast enough to read everything, decide if an action is needed, contact the "offender", hear his side of the thing and apply a penalty? Santa?
    you would need nearly as much gms as there are customers for each server just for chat offenses...
    just not affordable.
    I'd like to see "Report Behavior Violation" and "Report Naming Violation" added to the right-click menus on characters' portraits and their names in chat for efficiency's sake.
    Read the entire OP before complaining about potential problems please. It would take a mod about 2 seconds to identify a violation if that system were implemented; there's no need to get the offender's side of the story... he either made the offense or he didn't. His rational is irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinpoons View Post
    I had a chat with a GM about this and was told that all shards are treated the same as far as rules go, so I don't think this will change.
    I suggest that the devs rethink that policy.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinpoons View Post
    BTW my text says your text is ugly, just saying
    Your opinion has been noted. Thank you for your input.
    Last edited by Haliaeetus; 04-10-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Rift Disciple

Hello. I'm not huge into RP, but I usually enjoy playing on RP shards because of the immersion that is made possible by the RP communities.

Atleast, that's usually my reason for rolling on RP servers... in Rift, RP shards seem pretty much indistinguishable from the non-RP versions... people use the /say and /yell channels for out-of-character conversations all the time; I see names like "haxor" and "uberleet" all the time; and the few times I've seen people actually RPing; they have been accompanied by several griefers.

I'd like to see some strict rules established specifically for RP servers, about naming and behavior; and harsh punishments for breaking those rules.

When naming a character on an RP shard, players should get a little 'pop up' explaining to them the nature and expectations of that server.

Players who violate the RP naming policy should be given a warning and allowed to change their name for the first offense; given a temporary ban (1-3 days) and again given the opportunity to rename their character for the second offense; and given a longer ban (1 week+), force-transfered to a random (non RP) PvE or PvP shard depending on whether their original server was PvERP or PvPRP, and perma-banned from creating a toon on any RP shard; or transferring a toon to any RP shard (if paid server transfers ever become available). As a side note, this should include pet names.

Behavior violations should do pretty much the same thing minus giving the opportunities to rename... and perhaps allowed 3 warnings before the bans start depending on the nature of the offense... incorrectly using in-character channels like /say and /yell should be given a relative amount of leniency; while things like griefing should be taken more seriously.

Also, I'd like to see "Report Behavior Violation" and "Report Naming Violation" added to the right-click menus on characters' portraits and their names in chat for efficiency's sake.
    lol sorry i have to say your full of Bulsht naming violation and the worst behaviour violation? you say griefing as if the is no clan guild faction that could not be the dominant by force or a back ally grp like the mafia type that extort money and will grief you. sht your on a RP server but you have the insight and imagination of a corpse and all you are really after is to be wrapped in foam and breast fed.

Then there is the naming what rule set do you require? the any word i understand IRL cant be used? ffs eat some cheese b4 you goto bed or ask the doctor for something that will give you a imagination. what you seem to forget is a name such a haxor could be looked upon as a family name and for his/her youth it is what they have been called... now its a perfectly good RP name and dont say but this that x.y.z as Rift has a very young lore and as such all the areas you seem to be complaining about are open to interpretation by ALL not just a few.

maybe you should rethink why you go on RP servers?
    Last edited by omac; 04-11-2011 at 12:06 AM.

Sword of Telara

I play on RP servers since they tend to have a more mature player base

Your idea wouldn't work. How many people would it take to police a server and please define what RP is. Some folk like to have really special RP character you know the half elf, vampire half werewolf kid that was raised by goblins but rebelled and now is chosen of the gods. Peoples idea of RP is different which would effect chat as well. Naming also falls under this.....example take a rogue often in real life they have nicknames like Lefty, Lucky, smiley, scar and so on. So If I named my rogue One eyed Willy cuz my name is Willy and I lost and eye in combat. Is it an RP name?

Note Dudespeak and leetspeak names are already against the TOS of all servers

Belonging to another person with the intent to impersonate that person, including without limitation a "Game Master" or any other employee or agent of Trion;
    That incorporates vulgar language or which are otherwise offensive, defamatory, obscene, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable;
    Subject to the rights of any other person or entity without written authorization from that person or entity;
    That belongs to a popular culture figure, celebrity, or media personality;
    That is, contains, or is substantially similar to a trademark or service mark, whether registered or not;
    Belonging to any religious figure or deity;
    Taken from Trion's Game(s);
    Related to drugs, sex, alcohol, or criminal activity;
    Comprised of partial or complete sentence (e.g., "Getpwned", "Luvtodance", etc);
    Comprised of gibberish (e.g., "Qwerty", "Asdfasdf", "Xyzpdq");
    Referring to pop culture icons or personas (e.g. "McLovin", "Kyle Broflovski", "Catwoman");
    That utilizes "Leet" or "Dudespeak" (e.g., "Roflmao", "Roxxurboxx", "Lolzumad"); or
    That incorporates titles. For purposes of this subsection, "titles" shall include without limitation 'rank' titles (e.g., "General Chow," or “Captain Kangaroo”), monarchist or fantasy titles (e.g., "KingLoko", "LordPauleyC"), and religious titles (e.g., "ThePope," or "Reverend Run").

From

http://www.trionworlds.com/en/legal/terms-of-use.php

I agree to an extent, at least have the naming policy be stricter. Nothing irrtates me more than loggin into an RP server and seeing Chuck Norris spelled 20 different ways, or names like ipwnu, killuall, imawsm, and other stupid ****. I have to say, damn the barrens of wow for the chuck norris plight spreading so badly
    All your whining and elitism makes me laugh

Ascendant

Read the entire OP before complaining about potential problems please. It would take a mod about 2 seconds to identify a violation if that system were implemented; there's no need to get the offender's side of the story... he either made the offense or he didn't. His rational is irrelevant.

yeah, rigt, bad people are alwais painted red, good peoples are always painted blue, there's just black and white and no gray at all in any decision...
    you really dont have any idea of what people whine to gm about, how many of those appeal will be just pettines or people bored, how many of them on the other side will be really complex issues with no clear resolution...
    I've been an administrator on a little private shard with just a few dozen players and gm appeal was always overfilling.
    think about ten of towsands of them...
    "2" seconds for a decision - that's not justice, that's gravity...
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Quote Originally Posted by omac View Post
    lol sorry i have to say your full of Bulsht naming violation and the worst behaviour violation? you say griefing as if the is no clan guild faction that could not be the dominant by force or a back ally grp like the mafia type that extort money and will grief you. sht your on a RP server but you have the insight and imagination of a corpse and all you are really after is to be wrapped in foam and breast fed.

Then there is the naming what rule set do you require? the any word i understand IRL cant be used? ffs eat some cheese b4 you goto bed or ask the doctor for something that will give you a imagination. what you seem to forget is a name such a haxor could be looked upon as a family name and for his/her youth it is what they have been called... now its a perfectly good RP name and dont say but this that x.y.z as Rift has a very young lore and as such all the areas you seem to be complaining about are open to interpretation by ALL not just a few.

maybe you should rethink why you go on RP servers?
    Your meds, refill them.

I like to think of WoW as the Hindenburg, On these forums it always ends up in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizo View Post
    yeah, rigt, bad people are alwais painted red, good peoples are always painted blue, there's just black and white and no gray at all in any decision...
    you really dont have any idea of what people whine to gm about, how many of those appeal will be just pettines or people bored, how many of them on the other side will be really complex issues with no clear resolution...
    I've been an administrator on a little private shard with just a few dozen players and gm appeal was always overfilling.
    think about ten of towsands of them...
    "2" seconds for a decision - that's not justice, that's gravity...
    Am I the only one having issues reading this?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast