+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: (( Give RP shards to the RPers, please. Rules and enforcement are lacking. ))

Purely out of curiosity, admittedly i dont have a hugely extensive mmo background, gaming in general yay.
    but how many past MMORPGS dedicated servers for just RP? and of those, have any actually enforced RP rules, or left it up to the gamers on that server?

im not an RP'er myself, simply curious if any games have enforced RP rules before...
    i'd imagine that'd take dedicated staff or greatly increase the existing staff workload.

Byriel - Guardians - The Brethren - DH 4/4 - GP 4/4 - GSB 5/5 - RoS 5/5 - RotP 4/4 - HK 11/11 - iD 1/8
    Weekend HK PuG! http://brethrenrift.enjin.com/forum/...eekend-hk-runs

Batousi, 50 Warrior ~ Bomah, 50 Cleric ~ Kusanagi, 50 Rogue ~ Fuu, LvLing Mage

Quote Originally Posted by batou079 View Post
    Purely out of curiosity, admittedly i dont have a hugely extensive mmo background, gaming in general yay.
    but how many past MMORPGS dedicated servers for just RP? and of those, have any actually enforced RP rules, or left it up to the gamers on that server?

im not an RP'er myself, simply curious if any games have enforced RP rules before...
    i'd imagine that'd take dedicated staff or greatly increase the existing staff workload.

There have been several with official RP servers with an official RP ruleset, but the problem with most of them has been the same as we see here even though this game has no official RP ruleset. LOTRO EU RP server probably had the best enforcement of RP policies I've seen to date, and WoW had the worst enforcement I've seen to date.

If you're not going to enforce your rules there's no reason to have them because it just offers points of confusion and frustration for part of your playerbase that happens to think if rules are there then they should be enforced.

Rift Disciple

I don't expect Trion to enforce RP - as others have already stated what constitutes roleplay is pretty much up to the individual. I do, however, EXPECT them to more strictly enforce the naming rules that they claim apply to all servers. I also expect them to be more stringent about dealing with those using the "I am roleplaying a jerk" excuse to harass those who wish to engage in roleplay. If we cannot get those two things enforced then what is the point of having servers flagged as RP?

If they enforced the naming policy already in place, it would take care of some of the other issues since it seems that those who fall into the latter category always violate naming conventions as a way to rub it in. While there may be some instances of naming policy enforcement, it seems to be the exception and not the rule. There are a number of names I have reported multiple times over the last few weeks. These characters are now 35+ and still running around with names that blatantly violate the policy - and I do mean blatantly.

If I were playing on a regular server I really, truly, wouldn't care so long as the name wasn't vulgar, but I am not. I am on a roleplay server. I play on a rolepaly server for a certain type of immersive environment as much as for the roleplay itself and for the general maturity of those who are attracted to that environment.

It would make me happier than I can express to finally find a game company that doesn't let its RPers languish on the back burner and that actually listens to and takes the RP community's concerns seriosuly then does something about it.

Realistically, I would at least be satisfied to find a company that would strictly enforce a naming policy on their RP flagged servers.

Agree with OP, but would ask him not to post in that weird text he is using that is blured. I don't know if its the same for others here but reading blured flakey text is a chore. I notice if the text is highlighted it looks normal, odd.

Laurelin is still the best RP server I know of, but not as good as the early days.
    Last edited by Pretext; 04-12-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Default hi

Quote Originally Posted by Haliaeetus View Post
    Hello. I'm not huge into RP, but I usually enjoy playing on RP shards because of the immersion that is made possible by the RP communities.

Atleast, that's usually my reason for rolling on RP servers... in Rift, RP shards seem pretty much indistinguishable from the non-RP versions... people use the /say and /yell channels for out-of-character conversations all the time; I see names like "haxor" and "uberleet" all the time; and the few times I've seen people actually RPing; they have been accompanied by several griefers.

I'd like to see some strict rules established specifically for RP servers, about naming and behavior; and harsh punishments for breaking those rules.

When naming a character on an RP shard, players should get a little 'pop up' explaining to them the nature and expectations of that server.

Players who violate the RP naming policy should be given a warning and allowed to change their name for the first offense; given a temporary ban (1-3 days) and again given the opportunity to rename their character for the second offense; and given a longer ban (1 week+), force-transfered to a random (non RP) PvE or PvP shard depending on whether their original server was PvERP or PvPRP, and perma-banned from creating a toon on any RP shard; or transferring a toon to any RP shard (if paid server transfers ever become available). As a side note, this should include pet names.

Behavior violations should do pretty much the same thing minus giving the opportunities to rename... and perhaps allowed 3 warnings before the bans start depending on the nature of the offense... incorrectly using in-character channels like /say and /yell should be given a relative amount of leniency; while things like griefing should be taken more seriously.

Also, I'd like to see "Report Behavior Violation" and "Report Naming Violation" added to the right-click menus on characters' portraits and their names in chat for efficiency's sake.
    i want to RP being your dad.
    Wanna cam?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Miscai View Post
    I don't expect Trion to enforce RP - as others have already stated what constitutes roleplay is pretty much up to the individual. I do, however, EXPECT them to more strictly enforce the naming rules that they claim apply to all servers. I also expect them to be more stringent about dealing with those using the "I am roleplaying a jerk" excuse to harass those who wish to engage in roleplay. If we cannot get those two things enforced then what is the point of having servers flagged as RP?

If they enforced the naming policy already in place, it would take care of some of the other issues since it seems that those who fall into the latter category always violate naming conventions as a way to rub it in. While there may be some instances of naming policy enforcement, it seems to be the exception and not the rule. There are a number of names I have reported multiple times over the last few weeks. These characters are now 35+ and still running around with names that blatantly violate the policy - and I do mean blatantly.

If I were playing on a regular server I really, truly, wouldn't care so long as the name wasn't vulgar, but I am not. I am on a roleplay server. I play on a rolepaly server for a certain type of immersive environment as much as for the roleplay itself and for the general maturity of those who are attracted to that environment.

It would make me happier than I can express to finally find a game company that doesn't let its RPers languish on the back burner and that actually listens to and takes the RP community's concerns seriosuly then does something about it.

Realistically, I would at least be satisfied to find a company that would strictly enforce a naming policy on their RP flagged servers.
    Part of the problem here has been that the GM's were overwhelmed dealing with the restoration of accounts from all of the hacker issues. Now that the issue has settled down a bit it seems reasonable to expect that GM's will be able to address tickets reporting name violations now. So keep reporting name violations.

I don't think we are going to find a game which enforces RP much more than having name rules; so we work with the tools we're given. Trion has names rules. It's up to use to advise them of violations as we see them.

Yea im expecting trolls to jump all over this.

Oh and yea that person that said RP servers or normally bad raiding or ERP servers...I beg to differ, as a Moon Guard player we have plenty of top notch raiding and pve guilds thank you very much. As for ERP, meh, just avoid it and ignore it.

Welcome to Roleplay servers, the attractor of trolls, pvpers going easy mode etc. etc. Besides if they got rid of the trolls there wouldnt be any fun...imo.
    Faeblight
    Ushenkov Guardian/Nasrim Defiant
    The Platinum Order

I just cannot understand why roleplayers are brushed aside so readily by developers and gamemasters. At the end of the day, we're usually the ones appreciating what Rift has to offer in terms of content and design. We take the time to explore and make use of what is available to us...and yet the whiny, unappreciative brats who moan and scream about not being able to rush through content are constantly catered to in today's MMORPG's.

Furthermore, the self entitlement of players is disgusting. So many players roll on an RP shard with no intention of roleplaying and then expect to be allowed to do whatever they want - even if it impacts negatively upon roleplayers. That is what Trion needs to stamp out, and soon - or I'm afraid my patience with Rift will erode away completely, regardless of how fun the other aspects of the game may be.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Langkard View Post
    Part of the problem here has been that the GM's were overwhelmed dealing with the restoration of accounts from all of the hacker issues. Now that the issue has settled down a bit it seems reasonable to expect that GM's will be able to address tickets reporting name violations now. So keep reporting name violations.

I don't think we are going to find a game which enforces RP much more than having name rules; so we work with the tools we're given. Trion has names rules. It's up to use to advise them of violations as we see them.
    Yes, they did get overwhelmed with the account hacking issue, and yes, I definitely would agree that was the urgent issue and needed resolving now, but that problem has been taken care of. I have only seen one name that I have reported changed since the game went live or at least I think it was changed as it disappeared off my friends list (which I use to monitor the names I submit) - it could be the character was deleted, I don't know. Either way it was gone.

I am not asking and I do not expect them to enforce RP. I do, however, expect them to enforce the naming rules already in place and I expect them to be strict about it on the RP servers in particular. If I were on a regular server I really wouldn't care. On an RP server, I do care and I consider people who go to RP servers and make characters that blatantly violate the EULA and ToS to be griefers since most are doing it specifically to annoy those on the server.

There isn't an excuse for not strictly enforcing the rules already in place especially when multiple people are reporting the same names multiple times. Right now it feels completely useless to even bother reporting anything since it appears nothing is being done about it. In addition, it takes multiple days to get the form letter response back during which you cannot report any other problems that aren't related to your current petition.

It's just very frustrating and it would just be really nice to actually see something being done about it or at least a post from a dev verifying that they even care, cause right now it doesn't look like they do. Time and again RPers get pushed to the side. We really aren't asking for a lot here - just enforce the rule PLEASE!

Role-playing for a MMO these days is just a tick in the box. You put RP in front of some server names and that’s it. Rift is going to devote the next several months of dev time to balancing pvp and end game content. That happens in every MMO.

We are lucky that they don't have a pre end game content gap or that would need sorting too.

You are right that role-players are the long term players of a MMO. But it is a viscous cycle; less gets done for us so we don't stay as long. We don't stay as long and designers think we are not as important to MMO’s.

Look at what is being asked for currently, player housing. That just leads to clique roleplaying unless it is part of the open world. It tends to get instanced these days. It would be a huge time investment for Trion and we would better of with more open areas to roleplay in, race languages, books we could write in and a character bio.

Player housing would be brilliant, and I fully support 'clique' roleplaying. I'll no doubt ruffle a few feathers here, but I've found the majority of roleplayers are just not worth my time. They've no desire to improve, stick to the lore or engage in anything other than cliché romance drama. To me, roleplaying is most satisfactory when done with a few friends over a long time period.

As it stands, I'm currently on an IC journey throughout Telara searching through Ethian ruins with a friend, whilst evading a ruthless Kelari who wants a particular discovery to be his own. Even when roleplaying outside of instances, no one is bothering to get involved - even when approached. It also doesn't help that the population of roleplayers on EU shards has declined due to many quitting or rerolling on US shards.

So I just read through the policy statements…. BOO. I am mad as hell. I sent a nasty note to Trion and am going to cancel.

They make no distinction in naming or gameplay policy for RP servers. So essentially there was no RP-centric structure to help foster that community anywhere. They deliberately left it out of the terms of service, yet bill as a ‘dynamic MMORPG’. Going so far as to offer RP server sets, and immersive environment statements, but make zero effort in hard service policy or management to deliver on the RP portion of the game.

I can’t assume best intent with any interactions from Trion going forward and am not seeing how this can be win/win for anyone who wants to be on a RP server. Friggin Shady.

It’s a phrase I loathe, and have heard way too many times in corp America - ‘if the client seems to want it, you should seem to offer it.” All fluff, no substance.
    Observe Wheaton's Law.

My response to this can be found in another thread:

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...at-gives/page4

Keypoint being, we can enforce ourselves for the most part. Harassment violations from griefing can be reported as normal. Its not allowed on any server.

The policy does not cover the harassment of roleplayers to a satisfactory degree. If I report someone for spamming 'LOL OMG Y R U RPING GEEK' I get told by a GM to ignore the player in question. Naturally the first thing I do is ignore them - but there's no punishment and plenty of loopholes for players to evade getting into trouble.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3