+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Track of Lore

Default Keeping Track of Lore

I play 2 games, EQ2 and WoW, neither of which I started at launch, but a couple years later. I enjoy lore but found myself very confused with details and even all the characters of the lore. In WoW, Deathwing has emerged, but I have little idea of his importance, how he became imprisoned and in short, all the lore dealing with him. So I'm am so lost. Things constantly change in stories as time goes on which makes it even more confusing to me.

This will be the first game I will play from launch, and hopefully I'm going to try to keep up with all the stories, interactions and lore of the world.

What I would like to know is how you keep up with the stories, characters and changes in the game? Can anyone give me a hint or two how to keep it all straight? Do you make a reference book and divide it up into chapters by characters introduces and perhaps even by faction or zones? TIA.

Well, it was a little harder to keep track of the lore and stories in EQ2 and WoW, since their lore is based on already existing sources.

Rift is a new game, nothing (besides the couple of comics they released) from before to draw upon. So we will be learning everything fresh.

How to keep track? In EQ2 there was a History and Lore forum board. Was insanely helpful for trying to figure out things, because some of us gamers do make timelines and track events and make compendiums of important NPC's.

You may want to keep an eye on Telarapedia and Zam Rift as well. They've got staff dedicated to publishing these kinds of things for us to use.

Because Evil is Sexy

Angry

Don't forget that WoW has a lot of Lore that steps on its own shoes so to speak... because of the many expansions it holds it would be and should be hard for them to tip toe around their own words and story line to keep it going.

Rift is starting from scratch (well, okay, its more like Step 3 - #1 is Heroes of Telara, #2 is the development process as they redo whole areas, and #3 is the launch version), so expect things to be spelled out to you. Like. You're. A. Child. At first, lol :P

Then the foundation is there to do whatever the hell the lore team wants to do with it, albeit with some input from fans.

I generally frequent sites like Telarapedia for reference, or make my own notes on forums or in word documents. But, I also find that when Roleplaying in a community sometimes I can just ask "Hey wasn't So and So whatshisface's Dad?" and get an answer and explanation from someone who DOES remember.

\\\

Honestly to keep track of lore, just remember whatever keeps your attention. The rest you can pick up from other players or online. Obviously if someone says that there is an immortal dragon that's going to catch your eye while things such as The Princes 3rd Mom's Cousin in Law fought in the battle of such and such, that you can leave to the internet or other people who happen to remember.

Thanks for the tips.... I really do appreciate them. BTW, I did pick up the 3rd comic which tells of how Port Scion fell and how both the guardian and defiant failed in their collective efforts to save Port Scion.

Soulwalker

Cool

In my first post, I believe i made a bad mistake on my interpretation of the game.

Edit. Am I in the wrong area again?!
    Last edited by Lucky_13_X; 12-03-2010 at 12:22 PM.

I suggest read and contributing to the wiki. http://telarapedia.com/
    It currently needs a lot of help from people like you. So if you are interested in a character look them up on the wiki. If you see something is not in there about the character add it. Have time to add a quest to the wiki please do. With the NDA lifted there is so much work to be done.

Would be nice if they had something like what I think was called the Tome of Knowledge in Warhammer Online. Keeps track of basically everything you've encountered (in-game, no need for these silly wiki sites).

I love "those silly wiki sites." It allows the players to contribute to the MMO community. It's another reason I really dislike those "golden circles" on the map that tell you exactly where to go for your quest. Little things like that put wikis and fan sites out of business.

Because Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by Wogrim View Post
    Would be nice if they had something like what I think was called the Tome of Knowledge in Warhammer Online. Keeps track of basically everything you've encountered (in-game, no need for these silly wiki sites).
    I support this endeavor. In-game is nice when you are sitting around reading chats scrolling off the screen. Telerapedia has a good headstart and with diligence and resposible additions (maybe some beautiful addon ability) we can develop a fulfillingly rich compendium of knowledge!

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    I love "those silly wiki sites." It allows the players to contribute to the MMO community. It's another reason I really dislike those "golden circles" on the map that tell you exactly where to go for your quest. Little things like that put wikis and fan sites out of business.
    I agree with this post 100%... Matter of fact that was one of my big things in EQ2 was to be that guy who had the wiki up on the other computer so I can read off the coords as needed.

If I do end up contributing to the Telarpedia, I want to be adding waypoints in to points of interest as I find them.

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

If you have any suggestions on how I can make life easier for you in this regard, please let me know. It would be cool if the game added an in-game browser someday so we could pull up info from some sites from inside the game. Currently I'll always end up having my laptop going for looking stuff up...

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

Quote Originally Posted by Ciovala View Post
    If you have any suggestions on how I can make life easier for you in this regard, please let me know. It would be cool if the game added an in-game browser someday so we could pull up info from some sites from inside the game. Currently I'll always end up having my laptop going for looking stuff up...
    I've been looking over pages and cross referencing, so far it is an awesome job there.

Only thing that has so far struck me as odd, is a picture of a gold dragon in the listing for Regulos, when he has now been revealed by the new in game movie to be black and purple. I am thinking that gold dragon should really be Laethys... ?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast