+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do Defiant clerics get their power?

Default How do Defiant clerics get their power?

Traditionally, clerics and priests in fantasy gain their power from a diety. For the Guardians this is obvious, but how do the Defiants gain their power, when they have turned away from the gods?

From TTH Q&A #5 – Lore
    Nicholas Taylor McDowell: We don’t have a mechanic for choosing a deity and getting certain powers based upon that choice. We’ve concentrated all our class building within the soul system and that is mirrored on both sides. Role-play wise, we’ve given out examples of if you are playing a cleric, who you might be worshipping. We have the gods of the Vigil on the Guardian’s side and that is very predominantly in your face.

Lindsay Morgan Lockhart: Supported mainly by quests and content. You do have a lot of situations on the Guardian side where you’re seeking influence and insight from the gods.
    What about the Defiant side? The same souls are available on both sides. Wouldn't the gods cease to grant Defiant clerics these powers? Did Defiant clerics have to find some way to mimic their cleric spells by studying arcane magic instead? I'm curious how this works.
    Last edited by Helspyre; 11-02-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    The Black Company
    Of. By. For.

Technology and Lesser Dieties.

Quote Originally Posted by Grovak View Post
    Technology and Lesser Dieties.
    Can you elaborate? What lesser dieties? Sorry if I missed this somewhere.
    Last edited by Helspyre; 11-02-2010 at 11:25 AM.
    The Black Company
    Of. By. For.

Well, in a few Pen and paper RPGS (like D&D for example), Clerics could gain their spell casting abilities from deities, a philosophy / personal convictions, ancestral spirits, elements, or animal spirits.

Could be the same for Rift.

Krush

Quote Originally Posted by Helspyre View Post
    Can you elaborate? What lesser dieties? Sorry if I missed this somewhere.
    http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Kelari

"The Kelari bring to the Defiant a fitting sort of spiritualism. While the Eth explored forbidden technology, and the Bahmi honed their bodies to physical perfection, the Kelari were making pacts with mighty magical beings, trading services for power."

Quote Originally Posted by Krushiev View Post
    Well, in a few Pen and paper RPGS (like D&D for example), Clerics could gain their spell casting abilities from deities, a philosophy / personal convictions, ancestral spirits, elements, or animal spirits.

Could be the same for Rift.

Krush
    That's true and could be plausible.

I guess with the Rift lore, where the factions did not always exist, the Defiant didn't necessarily always defy the gods but made a choice to. Clerics that previously followed the gods but later defied them would lose their given powers (I would think). If they became clerics after this happened then they would progress from the ground up via an alternative method of gaining spells.

I'm also wondering how defiant Paladins would fit into all this.
    The Black Company
    Of. By. For.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Kelari

"The Kelari bring to the Defiant a fitting sort of spiritualism. While the Eth explored forbidden technology, and the Bahmi honed their bodies to physical perfection, the Kelari were making pacts with mighty magical beings, trading services for power."
    Not sure if that is an explanation for clerical powers but I guess it could be for Kelari...
    Last edited by Helspyre; 11-02-2010 at 11:45 AM.
    The Black Company
    Of. By. For.

The important difference with the lesser gods the defiant work with is that they make deals with them, but do not worship them.

Quote Originally Posted by Helspyre View Post
    Not sure if that is an explanation for clerical powers but I guess it could be for Kelari...
    Remember that most of your powers are attained from souls of people from the past. It doesn't matter if you're Bahmi or Eth, you're still attaining power. However, the backstory of the cleric may fit more with the Kelari and their silly doings.

And no one said that the Eth Empire didn't have clerics. We only have 1% of the lore, give it time

Ascendant

There's this passage from the Meridian flyover from the main site too:

The second story is the Mages’ level, where our arcanists develop new spells to employ in the name of progress. Clerics cement their bargains with cooperative spirits on the third story, and above them, Rogues practice the arts of stealth and… neutralization. Finally, my study forms the apex of the tower.

Thanks for pointing that out Kedon. I'm glad to see there actually is an explanation there.
    The Black Company
    Of. By. For.

+ Reply to Thread