+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Mordrahan

Thread: Lore: Orphiel and Ahnket?

Soulwalker

Default Lore: Orphiel and Ahnket?

I'm a little curious if there's any more lore (either from artifacts, quest text, books, ect.) that might delve into this.

Upon arriving at the Comet of Ahnket we learn that Orphiel is at least aware of its existance, but otherwise has been pretty tight lipped about it.

Through our journey it's pretty clear Ahnket's purpose, to consume and assimilate the known cosmos, but not its...her exact origin, other than Tenebrean in nature.

Fast forward near the end of our adventures in Ashenfell...
    Spoiler!

Now this got me thinking... not only is she feeling pain, she's feeling it "again".
    And this is something "the Magician" promised her she would never feel, "again".

What we know:
    Ahnket appears to be a Tenebrean construct/vessel similar in purpose to the one the Mind of Madness raid takes place in.

Orphiel admitted to aiding in the construction of, and spending a great deal
    of time in the MoM construct.

It leads me to believe that Ahnket is not just a Tenebrean construct, but might have been a Tenebrean herself. And that Orphiel, self proclaimed Tenebrean (and who is heavily alluded to as being the "Magician") may have had a hand in her construction/transformation...

He may have even been keeping tabs on it/her this whole time

Food for thought.
    Any opinions or lore corrections?

Rift Master

I think you are right. Ankhet is a conscious being and one of the Tenebrean.

In Ananke temple and Calweddi you learn there are 23 of them.
    We know Tenebrean are ascended from a dead cosmos.
    So it seems only 23 survive the destruction and the war against their gods, because tenebrean are not like us, they stole their gods' power and enslaved them. This is what we see in MOM, and the last quest with Carli suggests this is what we would see if we could go into Ankhet's tower.
    The pain she feels is the divine power carli turns back against her. So maybe she remembers the divine war they fought in their cosmos. Or this is the pain of their ascension. Defiant ascension is very painful, and tenebrean are far more powerful than us.

All known tenebrean share a thing: they don't have a physical body in our reality, and must use ways to manifest indirectly. The three we saw in NT were projections in a plane where what you think and want becomes real, Teth used many avatar forms, and Ankhet is like a ghost in the shell of her tower with her simulacrum spiders as tools.
    Ankhet is a spirit without moral limitations, but she shows emotional reactions. She is not an IA, she is a being who once had a body, and still can feel frustration and desire. See what she did with Fibon. Sometimes she is very petty or capricious, sometimes she talks like a pure scientist. This makes her very "human". Paradox, and very good job from the lore designer

This leads to asking why and how Orphiel has got a mortal body of flesh. We know by the guardian noob zone that he could be killed. We know he does not age.
    I have a theory about Orphiel. We know he changed sides and decided to protect Telara. I think he made a deal with the Vigil, and they gave him a body.

Ankhet says all tenebrean are different, maybe because every one was inbued by a different power.
    Ankhet feeds upon failure and lost hope, so she uses the comet (her ship, akin to the MOM ship) as a laboratory to let living beings grow and make plans, and this is the reason why she is not so upset in the begining to see us coming and defeating the Tuath'de and the devils. This gives her good food.

I had the same reaction when I saw these lines about Orphiel. But we know Orphiel is one of them, and when he first came to Telara it was to open a way for his brethen.
    Maybe Orphiel was the one who found how to build their god-engine ships. This would make sense, because many hints ingame suggest Orphiel was the source of the tech used for the telaran god-engines we know, like Solar Orb or Infinity gate.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 04-13-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Soulwalker

To paraphrase Orphiel, the Tenebreans like to assume the best and worst aspects of the worlds they conquer.

If Ahnket is a being capable of feeling and a semblance of free will, and not just a construct programmed with a purpose.... maybe she's just a REALLY antagonistic dimensioneer.

EDIT: Although, if I could get some clarification. Is the land on the comet actual parts of the plane of life/fire? Or when Ahnket collided with the planes did she "study" the wreckage of her destruction and reconstruct the land completely, as she does with the simulacra?
    Last edited by Kickass119; 04-14-2017 at 12:51 AM.

Rift Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kickass119 View Post
    EDIT: Although, if I could get some clarification. Is the land on the comet actual parts of the plane of life/fire? Or when Ahnket collided with the planes did she "study" the wreckage of her destruction and reconstruct the land completely, as she does with the simulacra?
    From what we see in questlines, Ankhet truly took a piece of Life plane, because the Thuat'de and Ula are able to subdue Ankhet through their old blood pact with the land.
    Ankhet becomes one with the land she stole, because she transmute matter from the two sides with the colossal machinery around and in the tower, and produce new structures.
    The purpose of these constructs seems to be consolidation of the comet-ship itself, and also study of the lifeforms on it via simulacra and observation.

So I think your two options are right. The comet is made of a true planar land, but Ankhet transforms it, we see bits of tenebrean matter everywhere.

+ Reply to Thread