+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Defiant from the future?

Soulwalker

Thumbs down Defiant from the future?

However, the Defiant begin in the future, at a point on the Telaran timeline where the Guardian's plans have already failed. They realise that the Guardian's faith in the gods was terribly misplaced, but have one chance to take a trip back in time (via an advanced time-machine device) to Telara's past and set things straight. Whether this future-point is a fatalist inevitability, or just one possible version of events, is unclear.
    http://www.incgamers.com/Previews/22...s-on-preview/1

Is this actually going to be part of the lore? Not that the game still can't be good but why would anyone play Guardian if you're destined to fail?

Join the Guardians we've already lost!

I thought that as well. I guess a get out could be that, that is only one conclusion/ outcome and you could possibly change it by just being there or doing something to change the Guardians destiny but then you have to go down the road of explaining time which you could place any theory you like on it.

Haha, I like this. It doesn't really matter anyway, I know that the Defiant will be the winning faction anyway.

Nah they left a way out in stating that that could be just one possible timeline. Wonder what made the lore team decide to go this direction, though. It contradicts quite a bit of pre-existing lore.

Started with EQ, and currently helping out on the Telarapedia while waiting for Rift!

Kind of a wierd choice if that really is the lore.

Hilarious though how it would basically lay out which side is "right".

I mean...who do we seriously think the team of online game developers is cheering for? The crazy religious zealots who want to kill anyone who disagrees with them? Or the guys who want to solve their own problems with science and technology?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanreall View Post
    Whether this future-point is a fatalist inevitability, or just one possible version of events, is unclear
    time travel is so random...

This really does need to be clarified. Coming from a role player's standpoint and a lore junkie standpoint I am left scratching my head at what is developing here on the Defiant side. They are from the future but they are resurrecting fallen warriors but their leader was friends with Asha.... 80 years ago but doesn't look a day over 30? Okay my head is starting to hurt now.

I would love to get my hands on some clarification or some correction.

Yeah the time travel element lands you in all kinds of wierd logical paths. Now that I think about it...if they have the ability to travel in time...why now?

Surely it would be more beneficial to go back in time ever further to somehow prevent the whole planar invasion mess from getting started in the first place?

If they were advanced enough technology to invent a time machine, why didn't they bring back a few nukes? Or a book filled with schematics for jets, electronics and automatic weapons? Time travel never makes sense, but this does make me scratch my head more than other stuff has.

I liked the previous things I've read, that they don't believe the gods will definitely save them and need another line of defence, which is technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesu View Post
    If they were advanced enough technology to invent a time machine, why didn't they bring back a few nukes? Or a book filled with schematics for jets, electronics and automatic weapons? Time travel never makes sense, but this does make me scratch my head more than other stuff has.

I liked the previous things I've read, that they don't believe the gods will definitely save them and need another line of defence, which is technology.
    I suppose sourcestone power negates their need to invent nuclear power...but yeah...people who can build a machine that travels through time shouldnt need to shoot wooden arrows and stab their enemies with beaten pieces of metal.

Where are the 'sourcestone powered' laser guns? Why are the guardians even an issue?

Surely if their gods could protect them from being utterly annihilated by technologically advanced soldiers from the future then the vigil could just instantly kill everything coming out of the rifts by themselves and save us the trouble.

maybe it is like terminators and you have to come back completely naked.
    that would explain the total lack of everything technical that wasnt carried in their heads...

possibly.

Wasn't that a M. Fox/C. Lloyd movie called "Back to the Future"?

The Defiant go back to change the future (destruction of Telara), but the Guardian ended up changing the Defiant's future.

Yeah... go fer it!

Rift Master

Where are the 'sourcestone powered' laser guns?
    The ancient Eth had those. Nowadays people are just digging old machines and hope that they work, with no clue what they are how to use them.

Maybe its just me...but it seems like the ability to manipulate light or energy into a focused beam comes somewhere along the line before the ability to develop a machine that tears a hole in time and space to rewrite history.

In fact pretty much everything imaginable comes before that...lets just hope the guardians arent totally wiped out by the defiant death star before the game even gets released. This is like their second try at this whole "save the world" gig, if they dont even have a fighter jet by now something seems logically wrong.

Oh but dont worry, if the defiant are defeated we'll just build the time machine again...and third times a charm right?
    - Lord Taldier

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.
    - Nietzsche

Whereas this 'time travel/parallel universes/alt. timelines' thing would give legitimacy to the fact that each server will 'develop' or look differently (due to where ever footholds have been established as a result of players' actions), the overall theme of a twisty, turny, confusing timeline thing is a bit.... frustrating.

As others have said:

- if Orphiel could grab Asha from - Soulstream 80 or whatever years after the culmination of the Shade war- why couldn't he nab anyone else until 'the end'? That just doesn't make sense.

- if Orphiel could create this uber-awesome machine to nab souls and ship them to the gametime point in history- why not just drop 'em BEFORE Aedrexis opens the door to Regulos? A very crafty assassination of that fellow would solve a lot, wouldn't it? Especially using some highly tech'd out, bad butt Nightblade from the future!

- What the heck could the Guardians be thinking?! Seriously... this view of the Guardians being these 'my way, my gods, my rules regardless of logic or we'll let the entire flipping WORLD be consumed by Regulos' is stupid. And stifling of any RP. And boring, pointless and annoying. We need Guardian lore that is not colored by Defiant interpretations. I'd really like to know what's driving the Guardians and why they were fighting the Defiant so hard in the future- instead of against the Rifts (which is obviously what they SHOULD have been doing)....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast