+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Eth History - Simply brilliant!

Default Eth History - Simply brilliant!

If you have yet to read the latest lore entry, you need to do so.

The Eth Empire

At Redoubt we held the Convocation, for—

At this point, the narration on the rings changes subtly. Where her pronunciation is normally consistent with Arkeenian speech patterns, it here seems to fit the Catari dialect. – Zevia Rafique

—for a great evil had infected Eth society. The dragon cults had infiltrated every level of our wonderworks, and drastic measures were needed to keep them from corrupting the science of plenty and peace, bringing all Telara to its knees. The sorcerer-kings voted, and with tears streaking their pleated beards, they cast the Convocation.

Here the speaker returns to her original Arkeenian cadence. Certain inflections are drastically different, as if the piece in Catari dialect was somehow recited by a different speaker. – ZR

A wave of vengeful magic washed over our beloved cities, silencing machines, snuffing every eldritch light. Glass roads cracked and shattered, magical wells went dry, and the cities of the Eth—centers of an empire that stretched across the deserts and beyond—sank below the slithering sands.
    It seems as if the Eth weren't destroyed by their technology, but rather destroyed it themselves to protect it and others from its misuse. It makes me wonder if the persecution they endured over the decades was misplaced, especially by the Mathosians who revile them so much. It makes me wonder with all the blame and anger associated with their technology placed upon them, did anyone ask them why they destroyed their Magitech?

This is outright stated in the eth race article. They abandoned their technology by their will not to let it get into cultists' hands.

Shadowlander

At this point, the narration on the rings changes subtly. Where her pronunciation is normally consistent with Arkeenian speech patterns, it here seems to fit the Catari dialect. – Zevia Rafique

—for a great evil had infected Eth society. The dragon cults had infiltrated every level of our wonderworks, and drastic measures were needed to keep them from corrupting the science of plenty and peace, bringing all Telara to its knees. The sorcerer-kings voted, and with tears streaking their pleated beards, they cast the Convocation.

Here the speaker returns to her original Arkeenian cadence. Certain inflections are drastically different, as if the piece in Catari dialect was somehow recited by a different speaker. – ZR

Does anyone else think we're not getting the true version of what happened? With the accent change, it appears someone went back and "taped over" so to speak, part of the story. It seems like this version is made to cast a better light on what really happened....

Quote Originally Posted by Glymmer View Post

Does anyone else think we're not getting the true version of what happened? With the accent change, it appears someone went back and "taped over" so to speak, part of the story. It seems like this version is made to cast a better light on what really happened....
    As previously stated, this is not new information. This is what is more generally stated on the Eth page of the races. Could this be wrong as you stated? Sure, but then it would mean that absolutely everything on the pages regarding the races could be wrong. Until more information comes out, I'll reserve my belief that they already screwed up the lore by overriding their own webpage already

Well I look at it as the retelling of a history so with that like any retelling of history things will change or be left out depending on who's version. Look in our own history. Victors usually write the history and leave out the pillaging and such. Where as a conquered people would write how evil the victors where. So that is what I take from this.

But in the end I loved the telling of it. I think it gave a great view of Eth and why they are the way they are. As well as the Bahmi and Mathosian and how the Eth would interact with them. Bahmi as trusted friends and Mathosian as barbarians compared to.

Anyway I loved it and hope to see more.

Soulwalker

Considering that the magitech is buried underneath the sand, do you think that at one point someone will try to uncover it? Also, it seems that the whole "Guardians and Defiant" thing will be an interesting, and very heated battle... as for the first, I believe that it would make for a great quest. However, does anyone perhaps feel that the favor is swinging for the Defiant, because of their outlook?
    Last edited by Beherit-; 11-24-2010 at 07:10 AM.

The favor is swinging for the defiant because they are right, not because they look better (while they do). That is not to say that guardians are wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by Glymmer View Post

Potentially, yes, your hypothesis could be correct. However, taking into account linguistic shift and language evolution, this could just be a merge of two dialects. I suppose I'd need to know more information about the language to safely say if the language use denotes editing.

+ Reply to Thread