+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Etymology of Names in Rift

Default Etymology of Names in Rift

Hey guys, I was thinking about how the devs choose names for NPCs in Rift, and though I'd come up with this list. The info here is from some Wikipedia research (poor source, I know, but hey this isn't a scientific paper!) I'll be adding more over time if there's interest.

And... I think this shows that the devs don't really have a system of naming along the lines of Dragon Age (where the names - and accents - of NPCs of each game region correspond with real-world regions).

Etymology of names in the game

Catari family
    Catari (surname) | Origin: Celtic | Meaning: unknown
    Asha (Defiant leader)| Origin: Avestan | Meaning: Uncertain (trust, existence or rightness)
    Aurum (Asha's sister) | Origin: Latin | Meaning: Gold
    Theo (Asha's father)| Origin: Gree | Meaning: God

Mathos family
    Mathos | Origin: Greek | Meaning: prob. derived from Mathema = "learning, study, science"
    Zareph (founder of Port Scion) | Origin: Hebrew | Meaning: prob. derived from Seraphim
    Jostir (father of Zareph)| Origin: Latin | Meaning: to joust
    Aedraxis (twin of Zareph, undead)| Origin: Gaelic | Meaning: prob. derived from Aed - "fire"

House Aelfwar (a dragon cult)
    Aelfwar | Origin: Old English | Meaning: elf + callousness
    Hylas (leader) | Origin: Greek | Meaning: Forest

That's all for now. Wanted to add more but my internet connection is atrocious today.
    Last edited by Samil; 10-27-2010 at 06:32 AM.

Started with EQ, and currently helping out on the Telarapedia while waiting for Rift!

That is awesome!

As an aside (and as a chemistry teacher), I thought that I would point out that "Aurum" is how Gold got its symbol (Au) on the periodic table. (I know I'm a geek, that's why I teach chemistry >.>)

Thanks for the research and pointing out the etymologies! I love knowing where things come from.

Thanks for the research. Now I can come up with a character name for myself that actually has a meaning.

Asha is an hindu name which means something like "Hope" and her opposite is Nirvasha which means something like "Despair".

Awesome research
    "It seems like we accept a hole in the mountain, or ground,or anywhere for that matter, as a dungeon now"... Curt Schilling

Default Arthurian Names

Some Legends give King Arthur his home in Wales. I spend alot of time in Wales and there are some cracking old school names that would be apt. Some sound perfect for the name of dead worriors who walk the misty valleys of Wales and would be equally at home in Telara.

Nice idea for a thread by the way

Thats really cool, Never realized that they give such thought and meaning behind names. Maybe I will put some thought into my character names, of course all deriving from Greek. Bible College student.....lol

Great research man, very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Icehand View Post
    Thats really cool, Never realized that they give such thought and meaning behind names. Maybe I will put some thought into my character names, of course all deriving from Greek. Bible College student.....lol

Great research man, very interesting.
    It's actually more easy to do this, than to make 'completely' original names. Just like with any fiction, gaining proper inspiration from the past (etymology), just makes your work more compelling.

Doing this with names can also be a forum of foreshadowing.

See:Asha

Very Interesting, these are the kind of details that give a game more character.

Nice thanks for the Eto

http://www.enjin.com/rift-signature-generator
    ***It is not easy being so forgiving***

I asked MissDoomCookie about the language origins for the Defiant races. This is what she sent me via PM:

"For the Kelari, I use ancient Greek as a foundation. For the Bahmi, I use Mongolian. For the Eth, the first names tend to have an Egyptian or Middle Eastern influence and the last names tend to be more illustrative and evoke images from their culture (sun, desert, knowledge, nomads, etc). But sometimes I also use a more Middle Eastern/African influenced names as well. "

"Anyway, the Kelari don't specifically use nature names. But as they are from a very flowing, vine filled jungle, that is among the images they would choose. Culturally, they are very influenced by their jungle home setting, the spirit power that they wield, and their desire for dominance and power."

Because Evil is Sexy

Hmmmm.... (stares at his own character name depicted in his signature)....

Veeeery interesting.

This is a thread I can sink my teeth into! I've been a dungeon master in tabletop RPG's for over 20 years now, and one of the most important things for me is not only the lore and the 3-dimensional feeling of my campaigns, but naming my npc's. I strive to ensure that names in a certain region-or with people from said regions-share commonalities. For example, in a coastal village on a new continent that the players discover, about 80% of the male villagers' first names might begin with the prefix Al' (Al'vwen, Al'girick, Al'tomvar)and may or may not contain a letter v next to a consonant. Many of the villagers will have a variation the word 'black' in their surname-Blackfoot, Broadblack, Blanderback...

Later i might reveal to the players that the person they were chasing, that led them to this village may or may not have fled into the Trackless wastes, at the center of which stands the Black Castle. In days past, Black castle was the keep that watched over a bustling trade town...wars and shifting political ties caused the...yadda yadda yadda...catch my drift?

I try to keep naming as realistic as possible-as it pertains to the world i'm playing in or creating.

dunno if this will help folks in nameing or not, but it's what drives me to name my characters.
    Last edited by Theskal; 12-25-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    I asked MissDoomCookie about the language origins for the Defiant races. This is what she sent me via PM:

"For the Kelari, I use ancient Greek as a foundation. For the Bahmi, I use Mongolian. For the Eth, the first names tend to have an Egyptian or Middle Eastern influence and the last names tend to be more illustrative and evoke images from their culture (sun, desert, knowledge, nomads, etc). But sometimes I also use a more Middle Eastern/African influenced names as well. "

"Anyway, the Kelari don't specifically use nature names. But as they are from a very flowing, vine filled jungle, that is among the images they would choose. Culturally, they are very influenced by their jungle home setting, the spirit power that they wield, and their desire for dominance and power."
    You sir, are awesome......Ty for this!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightfall View Post
    You sir, are awesome......Ty for this!
    Ma'am... I'm a ma'am.

Because Evil is Sexy

Thank you so much for starting a thread on names. I know when I am creating a character I can take hours looking up the right name. Its so nice to see that other people are inlove with etymology!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast