+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kravshera
  • 2 Post By dannuck

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Aia, Goddess of Fate

Shadowlander

Default Aia, Goddess of Fate

So.. what exactly do we know about her?

From what I can tell;
    She has always existed, and was at one point probably affiliated with the other Gods of the Vigil.

They went their separate ways for what is assumed to be the reason that Aia felt that all mortal life had to die, in order to save the universe/world from.. a worse fate - can't find it specified anywhere.

I see people saying that she is the one who brought the Bloodstorm to Telara, as an instrument to destroy the mortals - though I can not find confirmation of this and it seems to be speculation. Lore suggests it was the masses of Sourcestone that drew them there, and the Infinity Gate gave them a shortcut.

It was either Aia or the Vigil who stopped any further use of the Infinity Gate, lore suggests it was Aia. Why would she do this, if she wanted Telarans to die? Obviously the Infinity Gate was at this point much more of a danger than a benefit to the world.

She is responsible for releasing the Akvan in the plane of water. But why exactly, I can't quite figure out. Was it to have another go at destroying Telara, or was it to use them as a tool to fend off the Tenebreans?

She helps the Ascended in destroying Lord Arak in the saga, so obviously she is not entirely and vehemetly opposed to their existance. Has she changed her views? Does she now accept the existance of Telara as an ally in the fight against the Tenebreans?

Here is what I think;
    Aia is now more concerned with the Tenebreans and the threat they pose, as they wish to consume our cosmos and quite probably Aia's too. She helped the Ascended because obviously they are a lesser "evil" to her than the Tenebreans.

I am asking because I do a lot of RP with my char, and storylines spin here and there;
    Would it be unreasonable for an Ascended to convert into Aia worship, given that it is -she- who is instrumental in saving us from the Tenebreans and Lord Arak, where as the Vigil barely lifted a finger?

2.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #2

I think that being a disciple of the Lost Goddess leads to some fantastic RP opportunities. There are clues about her in artifacts and other out of the way places that I've stuffed. So your first task as her disciple is to find them.

Also I would note what happened to her last disciple.

Oh CaptainCursor you teaser you...
    Serale@Faeblight

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    I think that being a disciple of the Lost Goddess leads to some fantastic RP opportunities. There are clues about her in artifacts and other out of the way places that I've stuffed. So your first task as her disciple is to find them.

Interesting.. And just who are you talking about.. hmmm? ;) The Drekanoth of Fate?
    Last time I saw him, he was helping me defeat Arak.. Though sadly, I gave up raiding a decade ago so I do miss out on bits of lore.

Plane Touched

WARNING: SERIOUS SPOILERS AHEAD, FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T DONE THE SAGA YET

The way I have interpreted the story so far (and I'm running my cleric through it again to pick up on things I might have missed) is that Aia broke away from the Vigil because of differences in how they saw the future of the cosmos that Telara exists in. I always got the impression that she was allied with the Vigil during the creation of Telara, and the races, but then broke away at some point. My guess is that this break occurred when she realized that the Tenebreans were on the way, and that the individual who was to start the invasion and destruction of this cosmos (Orphiel) was already present.

The Tenebreans enslaved their own gods. Aia, being the Goddess of Fate, would no doubt see the eventual enslavement of herself and the other gods of the Vigil as a potential future. Because of this, she'd want to do everything to prevent it, while the other gods were concerned with their own ideals. The break from the Vigil likely happened when Aia decided she'd rather defend herself than defend her creations. Defending herself would entail defending the entire cosmos, populating it with a force she felt better able to withstand the onslaught of the Tenebreans. Who better than the Akvan, the most twisted and destructive force in the history of our cosmos? (This, of course, assumes that the Blood Storm was a failed attempt at the same thing. Not sure that's ever been completely confirmed or verified, though.)

I got the feeling, during the saga, that Aia was basically forced to use us, the Teleran Ascended, to further her goals, because we had defeated everything else she had already been involved in, directly or indirectly. Aia never really hated us, she just didn't think we could withstand the Tenebreans. Part of that was revealing who Orphiel was and where he was from. She realized that she had no other choice at this point (if she wanted to survive, anyways) than to make use of the force she had given up on a long time ago: mortals-turned-Ascended beings.

I'm very curious to see where this story goes. It was a wonderfully-composed story arc, and one that I felt gave enough answers to satisfy the lore-nerds like me, but left enough unanswered for there to be conversations like this. It also opens up a lot of potential for possible future interaction with the gods of the Vigil. Aia has reached the point of almost working openly to oppose the Tenebreans. Are the other gods ever going to be so brave? Or did they lose something in the creation of the Ward around Telara? All direct communication with them stopped at the same time the Ward was erected. It's often led me to wonder if they somehow became part of the Ward themselves, rather than just being cut off by it.

Having done the Moonshade 'soul' quests again not that long ago, Fate sent the two travelers back in time - Kiera and Murmond. Part of their story before we meet them is here http://rift.zam.com/story.html?story=34001

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Tirwen View Post
    Having done the Moonshade 'soul' quests again not that long ago, Fate sent the two travelers back in time - Kiera and Murmond. Part of their story before we meet them is here http://rift.zam.com/story.html?story=34001
    Thanks for posting that. I had totally forgotten these stories. Reading that one now, there was a lot more foreshadowing than I was aware of when they were first released (which is the last time I read them).

Guess it's time to do those quests again!

Quote Originally Posted by Kravshera View Post
    Interesting.. And just who are you talking about.. hmmm? ;) The Drekanoth of Fate?
    Last time I saw him, he was helping me defeat Arak.. Though sadly, I gave up raiding a decade ago so I do miss out on bits of lore.
    I'm wondering if he's referring to Inyra. She certainly spent a lot of time talking to the portrait of Fate in Dendrome...

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    Cosmologist Mann?
    Athanil@Gelidra <Harshmallows>
    -- 11/11 HK | 8/9 MoM | 4/4 CoA NM --

+ Reply to Thread