+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Mordrahan
  • 1 Post By Meowy
  • 1 Post By Narcise
  • 1 Post By fibes

Thread: Ascended

Default Ascended

I wanted to reply to e1team rp thread about how it feels to be an Ascended. Very well written, and very accurate point of view. But the thread is closed, so I reply with a new thread, and old official information new players may find useful.
    These two texts were posted by the two lore devs long ago on ZAM, and I don't know if they are still available somewhere.

Guardian Lore Lead Nick McDowell explains how Ascended Guardians have reached a state of enlightenment.
    In Rift, players take on the role of a slain Telaran who has been brought back to life to combat the forces of Regulos. Each faction has a different point of view on what it means to be one of the Ascended, and the experts at Trion Worlds have been kind enough to give us an exclusive look at the finer points of Ascension from the perspectives of the Guardians and Defiant.

Ascended of the Vigil

The Ascended of the Vigil have achieved a state of spiritual ecstasy. As an Ascended Guardian moves through the world they are aware of so much more than they were in their mortal life. Celestial messengers have always been talked about, but now the Ascended see them everywhere, watching over communities, bestowing their blessing. But this state of enlightenment isn't just relegated to passive observation.

With a touch of their hand the wardstone that protects a community is blessed and the residents can feel the presence of the Vigil. Guardian soldiers on patrol have reported an overwhelming feeling of being needed back at town only to return and find an Ascended there, seemingly waiting for them who then leads the charge against a fiery idol of Maelforge or the other dragons. These same soldiers have described the Ascended becoming a larger than life figure, wielding a holy weapon of fire, and leading the charge.
    They feel the guiding presence of the souls, subtly directing their weapons in battle, giving them just the right prayer to heal their allies, or find the arcane equation to channel the forces of darkness without becoming corrupted by the dragon. Some Guardians report hearing the souls strongly, like an invisible friend; others describe it as the feeling of discovering memories that they never experienced.

Some have taken this second chance at life as a opportunity for change of redemption. The vicious have become kind, the meek are now bold, the impulsive now thoughtful. Others have resumed their life where they left off, continuing their work crafting, pursuing scholarly endeavors, and being part of the community. But all feel their live have become more vivid and purposeful. They feel the guidance of the Vigil in most everything that they do.

The process is quite different for the opposing faction, as Defiant Lore Lead Morgan Lockhart explains

The Machineborn

Account of Acyala Nicolo, Ascended Defiant:

I have no memory of my time in the Soulstream, nor sense of how long I drifted through it. But I do recall with clarity the moment my time there ended. The moment of my Ascension; no miracle of the gods, but a flash of ingenuity in the world’s dying moments. My soul was wrapped in a strange sort of energy, and then tugged at, invited to steal away from complacent dead. This energy drew me back down toward Telara and into the belly of a great machine.
    For just a moment, my essence hovered, free floating, and then tendrils of pure Source seeped from the walls of the machine, mapping themselves into the grid of a figure bearing a likeness that was all too familiar. This woman had once borne great power, with the bearing of a High Priestess among the Kelari. I recognized her as the woman I had once been.

Then the pain began. The gridlines began to harden to a physical form; first bones, and then coarse ropes of sinew, and then organs took root and exploded into shape until finally a sheaf of flesh spread to cover the whole of it. Every step hurt beyond description, but I did not cut myself loose from it. I embraced the agony of what I would later know to be my rebirth.
    Finally, life returned with a final electric current. Cold breath struck my lungs, my eyes flew open, and a voice said, “Welcome back, friend."

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, à la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

That's really interesting, Mord - I haven't read any of that before. I'm like fibes - I'd REALLY love a few hardbacks about the lore....

Well.... no, I really wouldn't. I just gave 2k books to husband's granddaughter - because I have kindles.... So I'd love to have the lore, but e-reader format plox!
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

This is awesome! Thank you for sharing
    Serale@Faeblight

Holy crap, these are old. Glad to see they've made a reappearance.

You're old.

*goes and hides in her Seren-proof bunker*
    Serale@Faeblight

Quote Originally Posted by Meowy View Post
    You're old.

*goes and hides in her Seren-proof bunker*
    PTHBBBT.....!!
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Stuff like this makes me smile
    Needs more BRAAAGH!!

+ Reply to Thread