+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Lore Behind the Rifts

Default The Lore Behind the Rifts

Hey all,

I posted this over at MMORPG.com and thought some people here might enjoy the read as well.

The Lore Behind the Rifts

Enjoy

Interesting read. So my understanding would be that the king dood (mathesomething) was loseing a war of dominance, so he used defiant tech to open the ward and bring in the dragons. The Defiant has since returned to the past to regain control over the failed act and the Guardians have been moved forward a bit to help remove Regulos completely and destroy the defiant tech that threatens the wards.

Or am I missing something?
    Volanna, Mage of The Defiant guild Born In Chaos, of Freeholme......and yes, I do like Tacos.

THE LORE OF TELARA

1500 years ago the six evil Dragons of the Void turned their eyes upon Telara for it was the only place in the Void that had the Ultimate Element of Power, the Sourcestone. Used by the Gods to forge the worlds, it was coveted by this great Evil. These ravaging Dragons thinly bound together in an alliance known as the Blood Storm descended on the land with their minions at their first opportunity. Each desired the Sourcestone, but each also had their own ultimate goals and desires, e.g. Magic, Control, Domination, Riches, Destruction and Annihilation. The Six Dragon Leaders are as follows:

AKYLIOS - Magic - The Dragon Leader of the Abyssa and of the Water Plane. His mind houses great and terrible magic. This leader was said to have gone mad countless eons ago from learning every evil magic, and sipping on the nightmares of countless worlds. There truly is no word to describe his mind today...

CRUCIA - Control - The Dragon Goddess of the Storm Legion and of the Air Plane. She is a master manipulator with a powerful will said to be able to sway all but the strongest minds to her bidding and to kill in her name...

GREENSCALE - Domination - The Dragon Leader of the House of Aelfwar and of the Life Plane. He will stop at nothing to become the strongest life form by rending, destroying and dominating all that are weaker than himself. He and his followers share this bloodthirsty desire to dominate all life.

LAETHYS - Riches - The Dragon Goddess of the Golden Maw and of the Earth Plane. Her form is of molten steel with eyes made of diamonds. She has an unending lust for riches and power. As one of the two Dragon Goddesses, she has a wretched hatred for Crucia and her mindless slaves. Lust drives her heart and lust for Laethys is all that should live in the hearts of her followers.

MAELFORGE - Destruction - The Dragon Leader of the Wanton and of the Fire Plane. His vision of the world of Telara is one wreathed in flame, eternally burning, re-growing and burning again. He despises Greenscale's desire to see life take over everything .

REGULOSE - Annihilation - The Dragon Leader of the Endless Court and of the Plane of Death. Leader of the Blood Storm alliance. He is called the Promiser of Ultimate Release. He is ruthless in his quickness to bring death to any that drop their guard. His power grows thru destruction and therefore all things must be destroyed!

When the carnage came, the native of Telara were helpless. The great Dragons decimated their lands. Greenscale severed the Elven ancient connection with the beasts of Telara so they could no longer call for aid from the creatures of the wilds. Shortly after the severing the brutal and controlling Crucia lead an assault on the Elven lands and drove them from their sanctuary "Heart Grove" in Silverwood. Elsewhere, and not to be outdone by Crucia, Laethys lead her can to Eboni the home of the Eth. She used her powers to subvert their leadership from within, enslaving the very people they were sworn to protect.

However, fortune smiled on Telara for the Blood Storm is a volatile alliance. Evil harbors mistrust and each Great Dragon had its own plan for Telara. Soon the Great Dragons were in open conflict, a civil war within the factions of the Void. Each Dragon fought for its' own goals and the control of Telara. This internal conflict gave respite and hope for the peoples of Telara.

The Mkhai, tribe of the Eth, had learned how to control the energies of the Sourcestone. This control was used to harness its' power and to eventually trap all six Dragons in their separate planes. The Great Gods, forgers of the Telara and protectors of it's peoples known as the Vigil erected a Powerful Ward to prevent Regulose and his Blood Storm alliance from ever harming Telara again. The world was at peace...

Now it has been 1500 years. The Mages in their diligence have warned the people of Telara that Ward has begun to weaken. The Vigil has been silent over these many years. Evil comes! Regulose and the other Great Dragons driven by their own private goals once again send their followers thru the Rifts to ravage and possess Telara.

The Vigil help us if one of them succeeds...

Transcribed form the Telarapedia by Zxae the Necromancer... In the Original text from The Archives of the Mages...
    Last edited by Zxae; 02-02-2011 at 01:18 PM. Reason: translation error

Where are you getting the phrase "Blood Pact"? They're called the Blood Storm, and I know of no specific pact they made, unless you have different info.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebiale View Post
    Where are you getting the phrase "Blood Pact"? They're called the Blood Storm, and I know of no specific pact they made, unless you have different info.
    Thank you Seibiale. I have personally rectified the translation error. My apprentice will be severely punished.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebiale View Post
    Thanks for the correction, It's been fixed at the source as well, aside from the poll which I cannot edit.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiff View Post
    Interesting read. So my understanding would be that the king dood (mathesomething) was loseing a war of dominance, so he used defiant tech to open the ward and bring in the dragons. The Defiant has since returned to the past to regain control over the failed act and the Guardians have been moved forward a bit to help remove Regulos completely and destroy the defiant tech that threatens the wards.

Or am I missing something?
    I believe that king Aedraxis Mathos was the one to start conspiring with the endless court (Regulose's dragon cult) in order to gain access to ancient powers... In doing so he caused his twin brother Zareph Mathos to rebel, and attempt to over throw him. When Zareph fought with Aedraxis, Aedraxis was forced to use demonic magic that was given to him by Regulose... This caused the Veil to weaken and the beginning of The Shade.

The lore to Rift is very complicated and intricate... I'm hoping to have more articles on the subject soon, and my next one is going to be about the shade and how the defiant and guardians separated after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Totec View Post
    I believe that king Aedraxis Mathos was the one to start conspiring with the endless court (Regulose's dragon cult) in order to gain access to ancient powers... In doing so he caused his twin brother Zareph Mathos to rebel, and attempt to over throw him. When Zareph fought with Aedraxis, Aedraxis was forced to use demonic magic that was given to him by Regulose... This caused the Veil to weaken and the beginning of The Shade.

The lore to Rift is very complicated and intricate... I'm hoping to have more articles on the subject soon, and my next one is going to be about the shade and how the defiant and guardians separated after it.
    A slight correction, the birth of the Shade was not directly the work of Aedraxis, he had his old tutor Orphiel use Ethian machines in order to weaken the ward and allowing Regulos' power to manifest across the Mathosian homeland. ATM it seems Orphiel didn't believe Aedraxis was an agent of Regulos and was doing it to simply draw on the power of the planes, Aedraxis' journal makes it hard to tell for certain.

Telaran

I seriously don’t think he did. Asha Catari was dispatched by the Dragonslayer Covenant (Eth and Bahmi “dragonwatchers” type organisation) to warn Zareph of Aedraxis’ collusion with the Endless Court. Orphiel was part of the Covenant. It’s not hard proof, but it would imply he didn’t.
    Sindran Sathos, Marshal of the Order of Ardenburgh

Rift Roleyplayers - unofficial home of Rift roleplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Totec View Post
    Thanks for the correction, It's been fixed at the source as well, aside from the poll which I cannot edit.
    Lore is always great fun... I enjoyed the re-write...
    Couldn't have pulled it together without the tough source work provided by Totec,
    the timely translation error noted by Sebiale and
    of course the research done by my miserable apprentice.... smiles...
    Last edited by Zxae; 02-03-2011 at 03:55 PM. Reason: <bows deeply to all contributors>

RIFT Fan Site Operator EntreNous's Avatar

Default Highly suggest ....

I'd like to toss some words of advice/wisdom into this thread.
    Please, please ... if you are writing about the lore, remember that it went through a huge change when the starter areas went from "Shadowlands" to what we know now.

Some of the material I'm reading of late is very old information. If you are posting on Wiki or some other site, as a curtesy to your readers, try and remain as accurate as possible. I'm not here to say I know it all. I'm not looking to get flamed here either. I'm merely suggesting that a LOT of material is dated.

Example: Orphiel ... he was a member of the DSC at one time.
    Is he now? ... NO.
    His script/bio has been changed since Shadowlands.

I know it's like treading through a minefield, just try and do it as slow and careful as possible, until release.

my .02
    RiftRares ... A work in progress.
    Rogue on FaeBlight
    8/8 RR's ... 4/4 DH ... 4/4 GP ... 5/5 GsB ... 5/5 RoS ... 2/4 RotP ... 10/11 HK

+ Reply to Thread