+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: No great, famous Rogues in Telara?

Default No great, famous Rogues in Telara?

Fair warning: I've only recently gotten my interest up for the lore aspect of Rift, after getting somewhat tired of grinding all my weeklies religiously for the last few months, so this could just be me being ignorant. By the way, the Nightmare Saga, is, I think the first line of quests I've done where I actually read the dialogues and so far I really like it.

So... every time I visit the soul tree calculator, which I do rather often, I ask myself why there is no "famous" rogue to represent our soul selection screen. Here's the one I'm talking about: http://imgur.com/uEX41A0

So as you can see, there's the Warrior, Cyril Kalmar, the Cleric, Shayla Starhearth(?) and Orphiel Farwind the Mage. But the rogue? Pardon my language, but who the hell is that? Some random chick with two blunt swords and some ugly armor found behind the local restaurant? And to top it off, she's got the green lips bug!

Anyway, are there really no famous Rogue in Telara?

2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #2
    Rift Team

Quote Originally Posted by DeLivia View Post
    And to top it off, she's got the green lips bug!
    Now you know who's been spreading it. Maybe that's why no one wants to talk about her...

Um. Rogues are, by their very nature, stealthed. Oh, I'm sure there are those great, famous ones out there.... but of course, they're in stealth.... so no one knows who they are. And no one knows when she's targeted for elimination....

Works for me.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Kira Thanos

'nuff said.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    Um. Rogues are, by their very nature, stealthed. Oh, I'm sure there are those great, famous ones out there.... but of course, they're in stealth.... so no one knows who they are. And no one knows when she's targeted for elimination....

Works for me.
    Oooh... that would explain it. I like this.

So let me get this straight; While all the warriors, clerics and mages can open a history book or point towards any giant monument to show who their heroes are, the greatest of the rogues are all in stealth? I could get behind that, like, while your role models sit on their thrones looking honorable but really doing nothing, all the great rogues are busy killing some evil foe in the shadows of that tree over there, and behind those wine barrels in that inn, and under that bed, and over there, hiding in that bush... yeah I guess we're everywhere!

RIFT Guide Writer

Aren't Asha Katari and Kira Thanos rogues?
    Meciel - Mage - Defer Death - Greybriar
    12/12 T1, 14/15 T2, 1/9 T3

Quote Originally Posted by DeLivia View Post
    Oooh... that would explain it. I like this.

So let me get this straight; While all the warriors, clerics and mages can open a history book or point towards any giant monument to show who their heroes are, the greatest of the rogues are all in stealth? I could get behind that, like, while your role models sit on their thrones looking honorable but really doing nothing, all the great rogues are busy killing some evil foe in the shadows of that tree over there, and behind those wine barrels in that inn, and under that bed, and over there, hiding in that bush... yeah I guess we're everywhere!
    Exactly. After all, what's the point of being a rogue, great or not so great, if everyone knows who just offed Cyril?

Heh.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Estrael

/10char
    I'm ya boss baby, crank it like a chainsaw
    Rogue Moses of <Coriolis>
    "Everyone do their crafting dailies today?"
    Feed our Turtles, upload your combat logs!

Says the man with the Texas Chain Saw Massacre.... Regardless, yeah, there are some fairly prominent rogues in lore - but they are (perhaps by design) less "in your face" than the other classes.

Well, Kira's not exactly subtle - but then, she seems to get overwritten by Uriel. I was happy with the Kira parts of that whole questline, but - ugh. Spare me Uriel.

Quote Originally Posted by evantide View Post
    Aren't Asha Katari and Kira Thanos rogues?
    Asha is marked as a Rogue when she pops up in events or as a spoiler-ish thing for NMT stuff.

I swore I have caught her with her glowy weapons throwing lightning bolts though. Point me @ a rogue that can actually do this.

Kira is definitely a rogue though. Surprised she's NOT the model for Rogue calling. Then again, all 3 of the other representatives for the callings are Guardians (In our timeline, Orphiel didn't go all Techy on the Guardians and flop over for THE SAKE OF HUMANITEH -- he didn't really have to).

Guardians have no rogue, though. Abbess Katia and Brother Jebiah are both clerics, Ram Daggerborne (Not to be confused with Tam) is a warrior with a unique wield style (1 handed sword, no offhand), and Kaspar Masey is a non-combatant. At least Sylver has ancient Kelari magus powers. Adding this, Marshal Kain is a 2H Warrior, so that axes him as well -- plus he's no longer with us. Kinda ded.
    Last edited by Aysander; 08-07-2015 at 06:00 PM.
    Eithel - 65 Rogue - Faeblight
    Hinokage - Eventual 65 Mage - Faeblight

Aysander, I tend to think that by the whole "Guardian glow" thing, they're just not going to pop rogues much....

I don't see Kira as a "quintessential rogue" - she's a pure assassin. A quintessential rogue is so much more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    Aysander, I tend to think that by the whole "Guardian glow" thing, they're just not going to pop rogues much....

I don't see Kira as a "quintessential rogue" - she's a pure assassin. A quintessential rogue is so much more than that.
    True. Does seem off that the Green Lip Bandit (I was wondering my main keeps getting green lips randomly btw -- this solves that) is the Rogue rep while standing next to 3 of the top Guardians.

Eh, probably just one of those things done deliberately to make people ask questions. Or they're trying to make the other Callings look cooler to stymie the flow of Rogues.

Wardrobe changes may actually be helping this somewhat though.

Asha is NOT a rogue. She is and always will be a mage - she studied in Quicksilver College and was kicked out because of Alsbeth. Hell, she possesses the power of Regulos and can control the undead.

Besides, Asha's Mortality is not a spell you want to be on the wrong end of.
    Last edited by Twinmoon; 08-07-2015 at 06:11 PM.

Y'know, it's a bit - odd - that there's no "Robin Hood" type character in this game. I hadn't realized it before, but maybe that's why my own rogues tend toward that angle. Of course, it's all RP in my own mind, but still....

Quote Originally Posted by Twinmoon View Post
    Asha is NOT a rogue. She is and always will be a mage - she studied in Quicksilver College and was kicked out because of Alsbeth. Hell, she possesses the power of Regulos and can control the undead.

Besides, Asha's Mortality is not a spell you want to be on the wrong end of.
    Exactly, I was pretty sure her rivalry with Alsbeth started over love, and ended with Magic Expulsion. Didn't Anthousa Mona or someone finish her magic education? Can't remember if that was ever explained, but she's Meridian's resident Death Death Junkie.

And yeah, she's marked as Rogue like EVERYTIME she shows up. Yet she's always casting the most ridiculous variety of spells. Almost certain along with the air and death spells, I saw fire and earth too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast