+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Lore on Zareph Mathos?

Default Lore on Zareph Mathos?

Can I have someone in the know please give me some details or backstory or lore or something about Zareph Mathos? It's like impossible to find information on him! Thank you!

My Telaran Lore and History Blog, with a side of RP storytelling!=http://ascendedtales.blogspot.ca/201...beginning.html

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

You'd have to wait for someone that really knows the Lore but from what i can remember or found out Zareph was the younger son of Jostir the Ancient who was King of the Mathosians.

Zareph also had a twin brother, Aedraxis, who became the King when Jostir died in mysterious circumstances, at this time the Mathosians were a well civilized culture but rival Factions made war and this became known as the Shade War.

It was at this time as King, Aedraxis, resorted to using Dread magic as the war was getting worse, this weakened the protective ward around Telara which allowed the Plane of Death to get a foothold and Regulos gradually made Aedraxis an undead King.

If you made a Guardian char, you can see this at the end of the starter zone when you have to pass through the death Rift and into Telara. Following this Zareph and a lot of the Mathosians fled the Shade war and founded the city Port Scion, it was here a young Alsbeth got corrupted by Regulos and opened the gates of Port Scion allowing Regulos and the forces of death to take over Port Scion.

The Guardians fled to a Temple known as Sanctum and made it their new base, the Defiants, blaming the Guardians took over a Cult fortress called Meridian and made this their 'city.

You can get pieces of the Lore and story from doing the quest lines at Stillmoor and by also doing the River of Souls Chronicle where Alsbeth drags Zareph back into Telara from the Soulstream.

Slipmat got a good chunk of it there (though I'm not sure about Aedraxis and Zareph being twins, just them being brothers), here are a few more things.

Aedraxis, Zareph, and their bastard brother Carwin were all educated by Orphiel Farwind (now leader of the Defiants). At the same time, Asha Catari (fostered to the Court of Mathos) and Alsbeth Rothmann (an orphan taken in by Queen Lenia Mathos, King Jostir's wife) were also educated by Orphiel at court.

Even from a young age, Asha and Zareph were friends (and later romantically interested in one another, despite her family's profound disapproval.

When Jostir died under mysterious circumstances, Aedraxis took the throne, and over the course of five years, began dissolving laws against magitech research, studies into death magic, et cetera. Which finally culminated into civil war, led by Zareph from his seat at Port Scion (the traditional court for the king's younger brother).

Cyril Kalmar joined Zareph's side, which did much to bolster the people's views of Zareph and his side of the war.

Then came the Shade, unleashing death magic at Thedeor Field where several on both sides were killed, including Cyril, Shyla Starhearth of the High Elves, Borrin Gammult of the Dwarves of Hammerknell, and the Guardian PCs. The Vigil Ascended them and returned them to Telara to continue the fight. (Zareph himself did not die, however.)

(Side note: Asha Catari was also killed, but later restored to life by Orphiel as the first Defiant Ascended; however, this method is NOT the same one used to create the Defiant PCs.)

Zareph retreated to Port Scion with Alsbeth, Cyril, Shyla, Borrin, and the other Guardians, rescuing as many citizens as he could along the way. While the city was well-fortified, Alsbeth had secretly turned traitor, and while Port Scion was under attack, she lowered the magical and mundane defenses around the city, leading to Zareph's eventual death and the destruction of Port Scion.

(Side note: the Guardians blame the Defiant for this, but the Defiant know that it was Alsbeth who actually did it.)

Cyril, Borrin, and Shyla, at this point, parted ways with Orphiel, Asha, and the other Defiants. Borrin was given a vision by the Vigil and led them east to the edge of Silverwood, where the Vigil raised an island upon which he built Sanctum. Orphiel, Asha, and the rest took over an abandoned Eth city in Freemarch which they named Meridian.

Twenty years later, the Guardian PCs return to the world (as do the Defiants PCs from twenty years in the future, or forty years after the events described above), and eventually deal with the events known as the River of Souls, where Alsbeth, now fully open in her role as the leader of the Endless Court of Regulos, is attempting to manipulate the Soulstream to draw out souls for Regulos' army. In the process, she brings back Zareph, intending to enslave him as her consort.

(Side note: I always wondered if Alsbeth had been jealous of Asha and Zareph's relationship, which turned into hatred when he didn't reciprocate her feelings. Given the way she always speaks of him and constantly belittles Asha, I wonder.)

Too bad for Alsbeth that the Ascended put a stop to her plans, but this leaves Zareph in limbo, or as he puts it, "neither alive nor Ascended, just a specter." However, just before he sends the Ascended back to Telara (at least in the Chronicle), he gives them a message that cements Cyril's role as leader of the Guardians (as there is no king of Mathosia anymore), and speaks of his love of Asha.
    Last edited by Samuraiko; 06-05-2015 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Lore corrections

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Telaran

Zareph also appears right before the beginning of the Regulos fight in the Endless Eclipse raid. I don't remember the exact dialogue or details, but I believe he sacrifices himself so Regulos does not kill Asha.

What has been posted pretty much sums up who Zareph was and what he did up to Endless Eclipse. He's probably gone, at this point. Of course, there are still sliver and / or nightmare Zarephs that could change this history entirely or add to it.

Zarpeh is probably the most dead person in the entirety of Rift. His body dies at Port Scion, his spirit dies at the river of souls, his soul dies being crushed by Regulos at the endless eclipse, and his nightmare self is killed in Draumheim. I am sure CC will find a way to kill him some more and Asha Crybaby will continue to weep in Meridian.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    Zarpeh is probably the most dead person in the entirety of Rift. His body dies at Port Scion, his spirit dies at the river of souls, his soul dies being crushed by Regulos at the endless eclipse, and his nightmare self is killed in Draumheim. I am sure CC will find a way to kill him some more and Asha Crybaby will continue to weep in Meridian.
    I'd like to make a point here that Zareph was only subdued and placed back into the Soulstream by Alsbeth at the River of Souls. If he were actually destroyed / absorbed as power by Alsbeth, he would not have reappeared in EE to sacrifice himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraiko
    Then came the Shade, unleashing death magic at Thedeor Field where several on both sides were killed, including Zareph, Asha, Cyril, Shyla Starhearth of the High Elves, Borrin Gammult of the Dwarves of Hammerknell, and the Guardian PCs. The Vigil Ascended them and returned them to Telara to continue the fight.
    Actually, Zareph does not die here. The Vigil protected him from the Shade (as is stated in The Journal of Zareph Mathos). He saw the Ascended returned, but was not one himself.
    Last edited by Twinmoon; 06-05-2015 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinmoon View Post
    Actually, Zareph does not die here. The Vigil protected him from the Shade (as is stated in The Journal of Zareph Mathos). He saw the Ascended returned, but was not one himself.
    Oops, I stand corrected!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!

Wow - thank you all! I didn't have any idea that Zareph was related to Aedraxis and Carwin.... I knew he and Asha had a thing (due to some of the defiant-side quests), but this really gives me a better background.

I do love info about game world lore, no matter the game. Sometimes I get so involved with just playing a game that it takes me years to get the background together!

In fact, the first time I tried putting any of the lore together at all, was after I saw Asha's body in Thedeor Fields on an alt I made just a couple months back.... Not sure how I missed her before....
    Last edited by Narcise; 06-05-2015 at 02:12 PM.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Zareph's story is one that I would love to shoot as a video if/when Trion gives me something like demorecording for this game. There are so many great lore moments that I want to film/recreate as 'cutscenes' or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraiko View Post
    Zareph's story is one that I would love to shoot as a video if/when Trion gives me something like demorecording for this game. There are so many great lore moments that I want to film/recreate as 'cutscenes' or whatever.
    That WOULD be cool!
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #12

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    Not sure how I missed her before....
    We like to hide things.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    We like to hide things.
    Make them earn that story.
    Last edited by IonCannon; 06-05-2015 at 03:23 PM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    We like to hide things.
    Yep. I've known other devs (beginning with some of the Bioware crew for BG1) - and that's something I've been aware of for quite a while.

But really, her body is lying in plain sight. I consider it more blindness on my part than hiding on yours! <3

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    LOL! You Lore legends always bring a smile.
    Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast