+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: New 3.3 Demension Locations.

Default New 3.3 Demension Locations.

I put this in lore because why not. I've been trying real hard to figure out the locations of the 3 new dimensions on the PTS right now.

Octus Monestary
    Tempest Island
    Mathosian Cascades.

The closest hints we have is the key desciption and loading screens.
    Octus Monestary - "An ancient order of Monks reside within the Octus Monestary", "Home of the Palegic Order, the monestary of Octus has sat at the edge of the cosmos for eons."

Tempest Island - "With the seas of Tempest Deep calm again, isles long forgotten have reappeared."

Mathosian Cascades - "Hidden deep within the continent of Telara exists the ancient mountain range of the Mathosian Cascades."

Octus Monestary is stimple enough, but the area doesn't have the building, and there is some extra "flair" in the sky.

Tempest Island I have zero idea.
    There's three distand islands. The closest SW of the island, and two distant ones NW and NE.
    Considering if you search the forums the term "Tempest Deep" can be found as far back as 2011, I assume this is Telara as well, but there's ZERO areas where those island layouts make sense.
    This is an official map on the Trion website.
    There's nothing that fits that. MAYBE the Tempest Bay area, but if people talked about Tempest Deep as far back as 2011, then that can't be right can it?

As for Mathosian Cascades, my best guess given the size is SW of Stillmoor. There's no other area that could fit the dimension of that size, and even then that's pushing it.

Also it's disappointing that there are at least 2 new areas in the game but they are not part of the world map. Even if you just thre them in there and put some rift spawning locations in them or something. A bigger world is always nice, even if it's empty. :P

At least an official location on where those two places are would be nice. I know someone like CC wouldn't have made the dimensions, but would know their locations.
    Last edited by hardy83; 05-25-2015 at 02:59 PM.

When I asked about the island in the dim forum, someone said they thought it was the Tyrant's Throne area. But I don't know....
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Always dig your Lore curiosity Hardy and knowledge thanks for sharing and for the Power of Word: Knowledge on PTS! (Screenshot on PTS forums)

I am puzzled about Tempest Island also because the UI for it is the same as Fort Zarnost Beach based in Ember Isles. Perhaps between Ember Isles and Mathosia closer to Plane Touched Wilds? I inquired about it on PTS forums.
    Last edited by Kiwi; 05-25-2015 at 05:11 PM.

I mean it could be south of both EI and PTW, but then that leaves a large island to the sound of unknown origin.

Someone must know where this Tempest Deeps is because it apparently was a location in an older build.

There's 3 pak files that stood out from the 21st May update:

assets/map/pd_playground/pd_playgroundgamedata_0.pak
    assets/map/pd_island_playground/pd_island_playgroundgamedata_0.pak
    assets/map/pd_snow_playground/pd_snow_playgroundgamedata_0.pak

Never seen them before. I'm almost certain they are the 3 dimension mentioned here. I don't think they are actually part of the main maps, but probably created somewhere else just for the dimension keys.

Octus Monastery doesn't seem like it's actually at Octus Monastery (for instance) because it seems to combine multiple areas and then a bit from various locations in Tarken Glacier.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

If you stand at /setwaypoint 3236,3323 in Tarken Glacier and look west you can make out this island:

There's also the unmarked, large island off to the north of the Kingdom of Pelladane, but that's been there for well over 2 years now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1asLpmRUVB0

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    Octus Monastery doesn't seem like it's actually at Octus Monastery (for instance) because it seems to combine multiple areas and then a bit from various locations in Tarken Glacier.
    It is location wise, just it has extra stuff, mainly that big floating lightning rock from Steppes.

It's the other two that have zero information other than they both seem to be on Telara.

And yes, I'm surprised they didn't use landmasses that already exist in the game instead of making up new places that don't logically fit within the world.

I get the feeling that Mathosian Cascades is the instanced map of Mathosia without any buildings. I don't know for sure though - all I've seen of it are screenshots. Octus looks like a bit of a mishmash of upper Tarken, and Tempest Island just seems out of place.

Reposting from the PTS thread:

__

The old CE map has Tempest Deeps east of Freemarch and Silverwood, south of Sanctum, and north of PTW. There is nothing there aside from a shipwreck within the bounds of Freemarch.

Found it... oddly enough, from a pic of an old Rift ad.

10.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #10

The Mathosian Cascades are across the impassable mountains from Stillmoor, and are only accessible via dimensional transport.

The Tempest Island was formerly a shallow reef, but with the settling of the seas it is now above the water off the coast of Brevane. The water around it is still pretty fatiguing, so don't try to swim there.

Why didn't we just put all these places in the world? Cutting a pass through Stillmoor comes with lots of other tasks and costs, QA time, population redesign, art time making sure the happy bright green textures fit in the scene chunk budget with the dour sickly green of Stillmoor, among other tasks. If we had to do all that, it would have been cut. And we think that the dimensioneers would appreciate having a pastoral mountain setting, even if it only exists "over that ridge line".

The island was actually originally supposed to be part of Cape Jule at the launch of Storm Legion. But when the schedule got tight, it was one of the things that were cut. Why wasn't it placed in the world? Again, all the other tasks, even if they are relatively minor, add up so that a nice little island self contained in a dimension is something that fits the schedule, but putting it in the world is not.

What the heck are we doing with our time that we can't afford to do all the work needed to put these awesome little dimensions in the world? Sky whales.

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    What the heck are we doing with our time that we can't afford to do all the work needed to put these awesome little dimensions in the world? Sky whales.
    Wait, what?

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Quote Originally Posted by Samuraiko View Post
    Wait, what?
    Makes me glad I learned to never believe anything CC writes.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

RIFT Fan Site Operator

The Mathosian Cascades are across the impassable mountains from Stillmoor, and are only accessible via dimensional transport.

The Tempest Island was formerly a shallow reef, but with the settling of the seas it is now above the water off the coast of Brevane. The water around it is still pretty fatiguing, so don't try to swim there.

Why didn't we just put all these places in the world? Cutting a pass through Stillmoor comes with lots of other tasks and costs, QA time, population redesign, art time making sure the happy bright green textures fit in the scene chunk budget with the dour sickly green of Stillmoor, among other tasks. If we had to do all that, it would have been cut. And we think that the dimensioneers would appreciate having a pastoral mountain setting, even if it only exists "over that ridge line".

The island was actually originally supposed to be part of Cape Jule at the launch of Storm Legion. But when the schedule got tight, it was one of the things that were cut. Why wasn't it placed in the world? Again, all the other tasks, even if they are relatively minor, add up so that a nice little island self contained in a dimension is something that fits the schedule, but putting it in the world is not.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Crithappens View Post
    Makes me glad I learned to never believe anything CC writes.
    Hmmm I don't know THIS TIME...

@Twitter
    Last edited by Kiwi; 05-27-2015 at 09:50 AM.

Leaked from Rift's Dev task list: Sky Whales are cut due to time constraints and difficulty animating. Model is to re-purposed for puppet shows instead to excuse janky animations.
    Last edited by IonCannon; 05-27-2015 at 02:31 PM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Thank you CC. Obviously I wasn't expecting them to be placed in the world, nor would I really demand it in fear of another line through Port Scion.

I have a rough idea of where both locations are on the world map now so I'm happy... Even though the distant islands for Tempest Island don't really make any sense, but my guess is they are more "These look cool eh" more than "Let's make a consistent world map!" or "Let's tease Shi-Ming."
    I'll just assume these are all different slivers.

Either way, thank you for the insight.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast