+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Can someone explain the events so far of RIFT and Storm Legion?

Question Can someone explain the events so far of RIFT and Storm Legion?

I started at the end of Storm Legion and have been interested in wanting to know what has gone done so far in the game lore wise.
    Last edited by SoulofaDragon; 04-12-2015 at 08:51 AM.

20 years before main game: Shade civil war in full swing. Alexandris Mathos takes kingship, uses magitech built by Orphiel and mind-enslaved defiants to breech ward. Full blown apocalypse barely avoided due to the intervention of Zereph Mathos' army, the guardians.

20 years after main game: The Guardians' victory is, in a sense absolute. Shortly after the fall of Scion, they destroyed Meridian and tore the defiants off the face of Telara. Now, the world is about to end. A surviving cell finally perfects ascencion, and sends the newly ascended back in time using Orphiel's Failsafe (left untouched as per godly intervention, ironically), bringing the defiants of main game's time era the secrets of magitech Ascension.

Several months before main game: Follwing the shade civil war, Zereph has been opposing the forces of Regulos. This eventually led to a all out siedge of Port Scion, Zereph's greatest bastion against the Endless. Zereph keeps the defiants and guardians from warring, and gives the defiants credibility. Zereph is also romantically involved with Asha Catari, General of the Defiants. Zereph's consort, Alsabeth, betreys Scion and Zereph. Zereph is lost, and without a mediator the Guardians and Defiants begin to civil war.

main game: Saga of Life
    The Guardians oppose the planes, their efforts focusing on opposing the servents of Greenscale. Price Hylas of the Aelfwar (elven royalty) betrays the Guardians to Greenscale, and becomes Greenscale's champion. In retaliation, the guardians construct a anti-life weapon, the Blade of Life's Death, using the relics of ancient heroes.

main game: Saga of Death
    The Defiants oppose the planes, their efforts focusing on the servents of Regulos. Alsabeth is hoarding artifacts and planning massive invasions, which are foiled continuously through the efforts of the defiant's efforts. This culminates in the defiants gatherings relics of ancient heroes, gathering knowledge on how Regulos was originally defeated in order to learn how to destroy dragons.

endgame: Life's Death
    With the endless occupation of Caer Mathos weakened, two strike teams, sent by the defiant and guardians, attempt to assassinate Greenscale. By working together, they slay Prince Hylas, and use the Defiant's knowlage and Blade of Life's Death to slay Greenscale.

endgame: Drowned under Stone
    During the Saga of Death and Life, the abbyssal were slowly preparing to unleash their Dragon, Akylios, from under Hammerknell. This culminates in a single, sudden assault, which is swiftly repealed by defiant/guardian efforts, culminating in Akylios' demise.

main game: Saga of water
    In the wake of Akylios' demise, the abbyssal attempt to create a replacement madgod. They are repelled through the use of a helm created using artifacts of ancient heros.

main game: Saga of Air part 1
    Both factions attempt to gain the aid of the neutral icewatch, an order dedicated to the continued imprisonment of Crucia. The factions gain unofficial aid, but Crucia breaks free from her prison. It turns out Crucia allowed herself to be imprisoned, least she be slain like Regulos or later Greenscale. Now that her armies have been reconstituted and her 'hosts' distracted, she breaks free and takes her leave. A queen from lands beyond the ward arrives, bringing news of other lands plagued by life, death and air.

main game: Wanton Maw
    Expeditions of both factions attempt to establish a foothold on the Kelari's homelands, but find it held by the alliance of Earth and Fire. Both cults launch a all out campeign against the factions, but are barely defeted. Cyril and Asha are captured, but freed by timely intervention of the protagonist. The ascended then invade the hidden stronghold of the wanton maw, bellow ember isle, and assassinate Maelforge and Laethys.

main game: Awaken
    The continent of Bravine is largely a mystery. Supposedly there was once a Utopian city, but it is gone now. The protagonists repel a storm legion initiative to salvage technology, while recombining a AI which becomes a backround ally. The protagonist then enters the city proper, and meets a figure called Salvarola. Salvarola tricks the protagonist into a trap, but the protgaonist escapes and find refugees of the shattered city. The progaonist unites the scattered survivors of the city's sundering, and then wages war against Salvarola and his cult, the Awakened. Salvarola dies, and the eternal city royal line names the factions the city's friends and allies

main game: Infinity
    The contentment of Bravine is largely a victim of death. the Kingdom of Pelladane uses it's Sun Orb to oppose Regulos and Crucia, with the player's help. The protagonist then explores Dusken, and find a city, Necropolice, that opposes Regulos. The protagonist then infiltrates and wreaks hovac in air and death strongholds, delaying attempts to create an infinity key. Crucia ends up with the infinity key. The key is meant to open the infinity gate, which would allow the opener to call fourth armies from the planes to conquer telara, or allow the opener to explore the planes.

Of special note
    The technology of Bravine and Dusken draws power from the planes itself, rather then sourcestone. The defiants see this as an alternative to the unstable sourcestone, and adopt it as the chief source of power for their magitech. The gods of the vigil make a point of saying that empyrean technology isn't blasphemous, leading the civil war between the guardians and defiants to come to a halt, leading to a tense peace.

This is all i have patience to write down at the moment. What needs to be explained still: Dendrome, Air Saga part2, Planebreaker, Bindings of Blood, song of dreams and prelude to nightmere tide.
    Zenahk@Laethys

Forward: Air Saga part 2
    The Empyreal allience participates in a cold war against air/death, with the focus being a superweapon capable of destroying ascended permanently. The ascended steal the components of the weapon and are manipulated into recombining it. Crucia steals it, and it is revealed that Regulos had it deconstructed because the weapon is the bane of those who rely on souls for power: Ascended and Endless alike.

Endgame: Frozen Eclipse
    With the assistance of Asha Catari and the Messanger of the Vigil, the ascended assassinate Regulos and his greatest champion, Marshall Fredrick Kain. With his dying breaths, Regulos gives a short monologue about how he was hiding Telara from the gaze of possibly worse entities. (Keep this in mind when you are doing the Mann section of Tarken Glacier's main quest) With the assistance of the Empyreal Alliance, the Ascended infiltrate Stormhold and assassinate Crucia.

Intermission: Air Saga part 3
    The protagonist, who is not canonically participating in the siedge of Frozen Tempest/Crucia's assassination, is strolling through Tempest Bay. Crucia unleashes the superweapon on tempest bay, destroying all ascended except the PC. The PC rout's Crucia's minions, then watches as the deceased Storm Queen's spirit acts vary pissed about being killed, and takes Queen Miela's body. She then flees.

main game: dendrome
    The architects, disorganized since the Storm Queen's defeat at frozen tempest, are suddenly vary organized again. The Empyreal Allience investigate, and suddenly the wall that once protected the Eternal City, since isolating the Dendrome region of Bravine, collapses. The Ascended and Empyreal venture fourth, discovering a city of the fae led by Atrophinius. Our favorite battlemaster built a whimsical city of the fae devoted to peace out of some sort of unhealthy Cleopatra fixation aimed at Shyla Starhearth. Atrophinius gets the Empyreal Allinace general (and himself) drunk and everyone bonds over booze addeled stories. Hailol and the fae within become part of the Empyreal Alliance. The Ascended assist Atrophinius' bravest knight, Tasuil (who happens to be a talking Corgi) in investigating rumors of dragon eggs in the Dendrome, recovering a Life egg that hatches. The Empyreal Allinace decide to raise the life dragon whelp on the chance that it will become a protector of Telara. The Awakened, having since been deduced as manipulating the architects, suddenly become the main focus again (all distractions aside). Hailol and the Ascended lead a crusade against the Awakened/architect forces, which ends up with the Awakened high preist, Imrya, slaying Tasuil. Atrophinius takes Tasuil's loss badly, the dragon whelp appears and consoles Atrophinius, and takes the name Tasuil the Brave in the fallen corgi's honor. The ascended infiltrate the hive, and locate Imrya as she performs a ritual that would supposidly grant her godhood. It turns out the architects were the true puppeteers, and used Imrya's body to reincarnate their queen. Im'rya attacks, but Tasil assists the Ascended in defeating her.

Still to come: Air saga final, planebreaker bastion, song of dreams, bindings of blood, prelude to nightmere tide.

Can someone else take care of it? :3

Also, i appologize for my spelling. i'm feeling too lazy at time of writing to spellcheck.
    Last edited by Zelurk; 04-17-2015 at 09:39 AM.
    Zenahk@Laethys

Plane Touched

Zelurk is doing a great job of giving you a summary of the main quest lines and such throughout the game. I'm seeing pieces of it I didn't even remember, which is awesome. Also seeing pieces I don't think I experienced, which is also awesome.

While run-downs like these are good little catch-ups, though, I'd really recommend you either mentor down and play some of these quests, or better yet, start a new character from the beginning and play through. I know that might sound boring or tedious, but trust me, if you want to know the story of this game, you really need to play it and experience it.

There is so much lore lying in the background of this game. The story has almost always been strong, and it has gotten even better over the past few major content releases. You miss out on a lot of the nuances and intricacies by only reading summaries, though.

Yeah. So much good lore that's very easily miss-able.

Wish the story quests turned into dailies or something just so they can be easily repeated without having to constantly re-roll and level toons.

Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post

Wish the story quests turned into dailies or something just so they can be easily repeated without having to constantly re-roll and level toons.
    Great idea, even for someone like me with 40+ toons and counting.... (I always have to have a bunch of toons in each "decade" so I can play whatever seems like fun at the time....)
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

By decade I assume you mean the beginner instances? I have toons in there too, which again, I wish those two things were chronicles so you could easily go back to it even after you just finish it.

Repeatable story quests, and all "instanced" solo content be chronicles. (so the beginner zones, those 3 instances in 3.0 where you fight nightmare versions of the dragons (Laethys, Regulos and Maelforge)

I never understood why MMO developers don't make their main stories easily replayable.

Telaran

Thank you very much Zelurk!

Playing through on my first character, my conclusion was that if this game even had a storyline, it was well-hidden. Basically all I saw was the starter-instance backstories, a vague "planar dragons = bad" outline in the original continent, and absolutely no clue in the SL zones. Last I'd seen Crucia, she was imprisoned in IPP and the quests there did nothing to lead me to believe she was capable of escaping. Or explain who the heck these Storm Legion people are and where they came from. I still don't understand that last part.

By decade I assume you mean the beginner instances? I have toons in there too, which again, I wish those two things were chronicles so you could easily go back to it even after you just finish it.

Repeatable story quests, and all "instanced" solo content be chronicles. (so the beginner zones, those 3 instances in 3.0 where you fight nightmare versions of the dragons (Laethys, Regulos and Maelforge)

I never understood why MMO developers don't make their main stories easily replayable.
    Oh, by "decade" I mean I have some toons under 20, some in the 20s, some in the 30s, all the way up to 60s etc. I too always wonder why devs don't provide base content as replayable, so that we can keep ourselves involved in the lore.
    People who circumscribe their lives to conform to the narrow expectations of others get exactly what they deserve.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Walrin View Post
    Thank you very much Zelurk!

Playing through on my first character, my conclusion was that if this game even had a storyline, it was well-hidden. Basically all I saw was the starter-instance backstories, a vague "planar dragons = bad" outline in the original continent, and absolutely no clue in the SL zones. Last I'd seen Crucia, she was imprisoned in IPP and the quests there did nothing to lead me to believe she was capable of escaping. Or explain who the heck these Storm Legion people are and where they came from. I still don't understand that last part.
    Not exactly sure what you mean by the story being "well-hidden." The game basically has 3 types of quests: quests that help expand the overall story of the game, quests that lead you from location to location, and quests that help flesh out each "hub." The story quests are even marked as "story" quests in the quest log.

If you're referring to an evolving plot over time, then Vanilla content isn't really where you'll find it. That entire release is meant to set the stage and background for the rest of the game. As each content release was done, they typically also had one-time events and quest lines that were heavy on narration and action, in order to help move the storyline along. Unfortunately, many of those events are no longer in game, because they were done to help people participating in the game right then get involved and feel like the world was moving forward.

I also don't understand how you can say you don't see how Crucia would escape. They released an entire Air Saga that spanned something like 40 levels to show how she manipulated things in order to escape, and what the Storm Legion was used for.

I'm sorry, but are you reading the quests as you're doing them? Or just looking for the targets on your map?

The only lore that's really hidden are those invisible NPCs in 3.0 and in the water area of EI.

I suppose the artifact books are a bit hidden if people don't know they exist.

The quest text for story quests are right there for you, along with any dialogue in those quest.
    The only problem is, if you didn't take pics, going back and seeing the quest text again if you forgot something or missed something, which is a different issue.

12.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #12

I believe that Morticus has just released most of those as dimension items. Or at least they are in the queue for release.

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    Great idea, even for someone like me with 40+ toons and counting.... (I always have to have a bunch of toons in each "decade" so I can play whatever seems like fun at the time....)

Quote Originally Posted by Narcise View Post
    Oh, by "decade" I mean I have some toons under 20, some in the 20s, some in the 30s, all the way up to 60s etc. I too always wonder why devs don't provide base content as replayable, so that we can keep ourselves involved in the lore.
    City of Heroes had the Ouroborus/Flashback system, where as soon as you hit a particular level bracket, you could play/replay storyline content arcs. You were automatically mentored to the appropriate level for the content to get the maximum XP for it. And there were achievements for how many times you did flashbacks.

I asked Darkmoon about adding this as a feature to Rift, given that we also have awesome content I'd love to replay, and she loves the idea. I gather she's been trying to work on this as a possibility, since repeatable missions already exist. I think it's more a matter of:

a) separating Guardian/Defiant questlines
    b) determining how it affects rewards (because getting gear you won't need even though it's tied to the arc is kind of stupid)
    c) pairing it with automatic mentoring (because it's a series of quests, you have to have a way of 'dropping' the replay option)
    d) determining if a player has gone through said arc in the first place
    e) how to handle teams, especially if one player has done it and another hasn't
    f) how to handle teams when there are mentored/sidekicked players

Still, I have hope!
    Last edited by Samuraiko; 04-21-2015 at 08:48 AM.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by SoulofaDragon View Post
    I started at the end of Storm Legion and have been interested in wanting to know what has gone done so far in the game lore wise.
    The true and unbiased history of Telara according to Atrophinius;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk_yKKvO4hA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fBd1jPAyN8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zno2MRXzITw
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c1pkI-xDHc
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

Oh yeah! Those are excellent ways to get "roughly" caught up with the story.
    There's also a quest in Goboro reef (unfortunately an un-repeatable quest) where you check on Eth devices that give a summary of many major players such as the dragons and what not.

Come on CC. In whatever document or list that Trion has in terms of priority, just scribble in at the top (repeatable story quests). :P No one will notice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast