+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Can someone explain the events so far of RIFT and Storm Legion?

Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    Oh yeah! Those are excellent ways to get "roughly" caught up with the story.
    There's also a quest in Goboro reef (unfortunately an un-repeatable quest) where you check on Eth devices that give a summary of many major players such as the dragons and what not.

Come on CC. In whatever document or list that Trion has in terms of priority, just scribble in at the top (repeatable story quests). :P No one will notice.
    Actually, you can keep reclicking on that device and it will give you the information. It just doesn't go spazzy and try to kill you.

EDIT: The item in question is in Ghar Station Mem, Goboro Reef - from the porticulum, ride east up the stairs, take a right at the mailbox, take a left at the ramp, and there's a big magitech console thing there with several Ghar standing around it. There's a cycle of about a dozen or so entries on there.
    Last edited by Samuraiko; 04-21-2015 at 10:38 AM.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #17

Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    Come on CC. In whatever document or list that Trion has in terms of priority, just scribble in at the top (repeatable story quests). :P No one will notice.
    Done! Of course now that I've upset the schedule we had to throw out all that work and we can never go back.

HARDY, WHAT HAVE YOU CAUSED?!

q-q

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    Done! Of course now that I've upset the schedule we had to throw out all that work and we can never go back.

That makes me laugh and angry at the same time. My head hurts.

You have my sense of humour. I HATE IT!

*howls with laughter and promptly inhales water up into her sinuses*

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!

Rift Type: Plushie...

I think my head just exploded.
    Zenahk@Laethys

7.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #22

Quote Originally Posted by Zelurk View Post
    Rift Type: Plushie...

I think my head just exploded.
    You shouldn't ever look at the full board then.

You shouldn't ever look at the full board then.
    If I had a life size Alsbeth plushie then I'd snuggle it to sleep every night :P

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by FreddyThump View Post
    If I had a life size Alsbeth plushie then I'd snuggle it to sleep every night :P
    Volan plushie, Volan head slippers on week days Hellbug on Weekends.

Perfect world.

Next thing you know, VOLAN ARCFALL...
    Zenahk@Laethys

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Zelurk View Post
    Next thing you know, VOLAN ARCFALL...
    Oh man...
    we really need a mind blown emoticon....

Close!

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by dannuck View Post
    Not exactly sure what you mean by the story being "well-hidden." The game basically has 3 types of quests: quests that help expand the overall story of the game, quests that lead you from location to location, and quests that help flesh out each "hub." The story quests are even marked as "story" quests in the quest log.

If you're referring to an evolving plot over time, then Vanilla content isn't really where you'll find it. That entire release is meant to set the stage and background for the rest of the game. As each content release was done, they typically also had one-time events and quest lines that were heavy on narration and action, in order to help move the storyline along. Unfortunately, many of those events are no longer in game, because they were done to help people participating in the game right then get involved and feel like the world was moving forward.

I also don't understand how you can say you don't see how Crucia would escape. They released an entire Air Saga that spanned something like 40 levels to show how she manipulated things in order to escape, and what the Storm Legion was used for.
    Do you really consider most quests with the "story" label to actually be storytelling in any significant way? I don't - they're almost all "Hello hero, welcome to $ZONE! We are $LOCAL_FACTION, please help us against $LOCAL_ENEMIES". Very few notable exceptions; the ones I can think of are the multi-zone Overseer plotline in Seratos & Morban (Zelurk's "Infinity" paragraph), and something similar about Salvarola in City Core, Eastern Holdings, Ardent Domain, and Kingsward. I don't remember the latter too well since I did it almost a year ago; "Salvarola is a jerk" seemed to be the main takeaway. This would be Zelurk's "Awaken" paragraph. Note, this should not be taken as a criticism of the game, these quests are just the way MMOs work and that's fine.

What I'm referring to in saying that Rift is light-to-nonexistent when it comes to storytelling is anything resembling a main plot. Compare with LOTRO or GW2 since those are the other MMOs I've played. LOTRO obviously has a huge advantage since so many people are huge Tolkien geeks, myself included. But Turbine did a good job with the plot of the game itself ("epic quest" in LOTRO terminology). Generally solid storytelling, plentiful on-ramps if alts wanted to skip certain parts. There was always something bigger going on than the usual "help local faction with their local problems" quest hubs (and often the epic served as the vector sending you from hub to hub).

GW2 - more comparable to Rift in the sense of little pre-existing lore (there was GW1, but lots of GW2 players didn't play it). It has a very prominent "personal story", race and background specific at the start, converging on the main plot to defeat Regulos, I mean Zhaitan at the end. Gets wonky and broken there thanks to a poorly done revamp last year, and the very end is anti-climactic, but again it's very clear even to the newest players exactly what's going on in the world and what their characters are doing beyond randomly helping people with green names by killing nearby stuff with red names. And since then there's the Living Story to add additional storylines, with varying receptions (I wasn't too impressed by the bits I saw of LS2).

Rift has nothing like that. All I got from this game was the basic, "help local people against local threats" thing, plus "planar dragons are bad" from the starter instance. Where is this Crucia Air Saga thing you mentioned? You'd think IPP, but I fully completed that zone and all I knew of Crucia was that she was imprisoned under the lake, Icewatch wanted help putting down some cultists (an early form of the Storm Legion?), I gave them that help, zone quest and exploration achievements completed, onwards to Moonshade Highlands. Did not see anything about Crucia breaking free.

I've seen that achievements exist for completing all sorts of sagas, but don't know where those quest lines are. I appear to have picked up a couple since they're sitting in my log asking me to go to some incredibly out of the way place to do something (coast of Freemarch - rather tedious to get to for a Guardian... ). I gather that Rift's stories are these "Saga" quests that one must stumble upon (or specifically search for to uncover), and have little synergy with any other activity one might be doing? *That's* what I mean when I say that to the extent that this game has a story, it's very well hidden.

Apparently I have done "Air Saga Part 3" though I would have labeled it "the level 60 solo chronicle" instead.

It's also unclear where this business at the beginning about Zereph and Port Scion comes from. Alsbeth pops up now and then so I've seen her a few times; I'd heard of Port Scion before Draumheim but only as a name, no idea what it meant. I had a vague assumption that it might be some PVP area or something.

If you think of the dragon pinatas as plushies, we've already got a zone event dedicated to collecting them during Carnival in Pelladane.
    • 'does rock candy coun...' - Probably Candy Barbarian as one of the Primalist's souls.
    • 'can we retroactive's re...' - Clearly ends with 'repeat story quests'.
    • 'Port Scion Zone?' - Is that why I found Port Scion minimaps in the 3.2 patch files?
    • 'New Race!' - Clearly the Sylph.
    • 'Brown shader improvement' - Something to do with shader graphic optimization.
    • 'New Starting Zone +' - Yep. Shadowlands.
    • Rift type: Plushie'. Pinata rifts for 5th year of Carnival?
    • 'mounties'. Attracting the Canadian crowd.
    Last edited by Jonus; 04-21-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    • 'Port Scion Zone?' - Is that why I found Port Scion minimaps in the 3.2 patch files?
    Wait, what?

*seizes Jonus and shakes him*

WHAT?!

RIFT Fan Site Operator

My response @Twitter Marko

"We need cat/corgi werewolf RACE! Volan PLUSHIE? Manugo candy counting app?"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast