+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By hardy83
  • 3 Post By hardy83

Thread: Are the bloodstorm dragons asexual?

Telaran

Default Are the bloodstorm dragons asexual?

Started doing Brevane quests cause of lore delving.

In Hailol, we already know that is where Greenscale fell after the bloodstorm dragons first entered Brevane space. Crash landed and made the jungle part of Dendrome spilling his blood everywhere.

This blood created the source of the jungles growth and life. These areas also create motes of life and the reason of the strongholds in the jungles.

I have this quest in Hailol stating that this faction of faes are harnessing motes of life. So that they can concentrate the planar energy enough to create Life Dragon Mote. Basically creating an egg using the left over mote that greenscale bled a thousand years ago.

So you mean to tell me... Greenscale... a male dragon... in this certain scenario... can produce baby dragons if he tells his minions to collect the motes of life he leaves behind, concentrate it and transforms into an egg?

If this is possible for Greenscale that means the other dragons can do the same.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

You'd have to wait for someone that knows the Lore to answer those questions but from what i remember, Maelforge and Laethys were a "couple", you come across some of their off-spring here and there (i think)

Certainly at a low level when you do normal Darkening Deeps dungeon, the secret at the end was one of Maelforge's eggs, and in the expert version i think the final boss, Scarn, was one of Maelforge and Laethys children but like i said, best for someone more into the Lore to explain it all

Meanwhile, here's a video showing some more about the Bloodstorm dragons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fBd1jPAyN8

Telaran

lol continued the quest, reached the part where I got the dragon mote egg. Inside the dragon is Tasuil we meet in Hive Kaazgfuu chronice, I always thought he was a gryphon.

Yeah hopefully someone answers it cause as of now. It seems anyone can just collect planar motes and evolve them to dragon egg motes.
    Last edited by Shmorezilla; 04-06-2015 at 03:35 AM.

The nature of the dragons, in terms of their reproduction is a bit of a toss up as CC hasn't delved too far into it.

Dendrome implies their nature is cyclical in which if a dragon died, another is born. That is, the dragon itself. Personality or soul don't seem to be a factor (since Crucia is still alive, but an air dragon was born in Dendrome after her body died).
    That when a dragon dies, their essence/power flow through the world as motes and form an egg, which implies dragons are born through magical means, at least, a dragon imbued with the power of the big bad dragons.

Then there's dragon spawn. No indication is the dragons need to mate for those, if they and produce them alone, or if they are made through magical means.

THEN in 3.0, there's stories of dragons mating, specifically one with a Akvan to create a weird dragon baby which I believe is a carnage kill in Tarken Glacier (which I never found), but the main story talks about it.
    So this implies that dragons DO have the ability to mate, and with other species as well.

Oh but wait, there's more. Akylios isn't technically a dragon. He is several little nightmare creatures merged into one big nightmare and took over the job forcefully from the water dragon, which I believe you kill in the first major raid in 3.0.

Then you have the "possible" dragon cycle of the Ourboros, who may be a big bad dragon, or a Risar, or something, who created ALL dragons either magical means or other.

Long story short, it's a mess and needs clarification. lol

Either way, Laethys and Crucia are clearly portrayed as female with Regulos, Maelforge and Greenscale being portrayed as male. Whether they function like that or are asexual and procreate by magical means who knows.

My "guess" would be that they are indeed male and female save for Akylios who is the formation of several nightmare creatures.
    Crucia and Laethys being female and the rest male, that they can mate, but not often to produce spawn.
    The cycle and nature of dragons (specifically a prime dragons power) seem to work independently of the actual souls of the dragons and are tied to Ourboros who creates dragons through magical means, or at least the "prime" dragons of each plane.

Telaran

thanks for the clarification.

lol, so in summary, the dragons here are basically elementals in the shape of dragons, interesting.

Correction sorry.
    It's Azdah the Ourboros that may have created the dragon brood.

Nothing is known of that being other than a name drop here and there, but my guess is that Azdah is a Risar.

The short answer is no they are not naturally asexual in their reproduction...

There is in game evidence that in the death quest line for the Defiant, Sylver confirms that there was incest/mating between Regulos and Crucia. Its not clear if they are blood family (save Akylios who is confirmed to not be) or if it is a sibling title they give their peers as the dominate dragon in their plane. Current evidence such as the Azdah's brood connection suggests some blood relation.

CC in the past has given us non-ingame confirmation that dragon reproduction is not asexual. The best example is specifically the massive dragon bones found in the Firesand Desert. When CC was asked about them he said something along the lines of "I think they are the offspring of a Bloodstorm Dragon [He may of specifically said Maelforge but that is irrelevant] and a massive world wyrm. They are impressive in size but wielded only a fraction of a true Bloodstorm Dragons planar energy."

That being said this world uses magic in all sorts of odd ways. As you mentioned the Fae could use the blood of Greenscale to birth a new life dragon. I have to imagine though that the process would essentially emulate or synthesize natural course of events for conception considering they are life/nature creatures.
    Last edited by IonCannon; 04-06-2015 at 06:41 AM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

So here's my theory.

Dragon "gods" : part of a cyclical nature of Azdah. When one dragon god dies, another is born. Their planar power is not bound to their bodies. It magically goes from one dragon god to another.
    The cycle can be interrupted, but always exists.

Dragons : Created by Azdah but, like Araks nightmare creations or Draums dreams, they have their own free will and can do as they want. They are essentially their own species after they are created.

Reproduction : Dragon gods can reproduce, though spawn retain no (or only some) planar power that the gods retain. No indication that dragon spawn can reproduce, but possible.
    There are male and female dragons. Though organs are not shown because this is a T rated game. :P
    Dragons can mate with Akvan, which may indicate some sort of link between them (both creatures of a Risar maybe?)

Since I view Azdah as a Risar, a being of immense power but off in their own world, it makes a bit of sense.
    Draum has created powerful beings, but holds no power over them.
    I view the cosmic Rhinoceros as a Risar as well (Tarken daily hints to this). There is also text that indicates there is some powerful rhino god that physically lives in the Rift universe, and there are smaller rhino spawn presumably from the rhino god.

Azdah being described as being an Ourboros, which is a self-eating snake, indicates a cyclical nature of dragons, hence this dragon god cyclical nature after dying.

Since we know of only one Risar directly, though many are mentioned in a Tarken daily, it's hard to indicate if the dragon brood is an intentional creation or a result of Azdah just existing. Draum creates races from his dreams, but shows no indication that it's intentional, it just happens in his dreams.

If we find out more about the Risar, and this apparent Azdah, we'll probably know more about the nature of dragons.
    In chocolate is was just the Vigil that existed and the dragon Gods.
    Adding the Risar throws a wrench because now we have Lovecraftian beings that just exist, don't seem to have an active conscience and powers that seem to surpass the Vigil.
    Unless the Vigil are Risar as well o.0

Also, it should be noted that the beings or Telara, Ascended included, can create beings from their dreams similar to Draum.
    We are spawn of the Vigil (or science). That may be some sort of intentional link, but I'm not 100% sure of what.
    Maybe the Vigil are Risar (or spawn of), or they somehow stole power from several Risar, but that created a link between them.
    Ascended can die permanently. 2.0 showed that, but so can dragons and Akvan, both beings of Risars, it just takes a lot of effort and our souls and powers still exist regardless of our bodies death.

A stretch would be that maybe Telara is a Risar itself, or a dead one, that the Vigil (possibly the god spawn of the Telara Risar) used to make the planet and Ascended, and being at the merging point of all planes, caused a link between all Risar.
    It would explain why the Vigil are against the use of sourcestone (if sourcestone is a dead Risar) and Aia being pissed at the Vigil or possibly interfering with the natural course of things. THAT would be cool. lol

Fun stuff if it ever gets expanded anyways.

Tangentially related to this... I wonder if any of the Telaran Gods have had children.

(Or their Plane of Water equivalents = Octus, Phydrena, etc...)

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

The gods of the vigil, Aia and the bloodstorm dragons, as well as Tasuil and Sanity are generally considered asexual due to the lack of any offspring. However, they possess various gender identities, with certain dragons/gods (like Crucia and Laethys) stylizing themselves as female with certain others (Maelforge) thinking of themselves as male. The only thus entity that conclusively has a gender at this point is Crucia, by virtue of inhabiting a female body. The aforementioned might change as CC sees fit.
    Zenahk@Laethys

The way CC writes, from what I've seen is that if there isn't a direct answer, don't assume anything.

There is nothing saying that the Vigil are asexual, but there's also nothing they are not.

For the dragons, there IS direct story that states a dragon mated with an Akvan. Whether that was magical means or physical, it leans towards dragons at least having genders, or at least a gender neutral species that can change to what is needed.
    However! That is not 100% since there's nothing in-game stating that either, only they have the ability to mate.

Until there's some person in a town saying out delicious dragon testicles are cooked over a fire pit, or someone selling dragons milk, we'll never know for sure.

CC leaves holes for us to guess and so he doesn't write himself into a corner when he makes something new that makes no sense. :P

Well, there IS a [Poached Dragon Egg] artifact, there's a [Map to Dragon Egg Location] artifact, and I'm now going through the rest of what I've collected to see if there's anything else.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

+ Reply to Thread