+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Orphiel?

  1. #1
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    229

    Default Orphiel?

    I've read somewhere that Orphiel is a tenebrean, and also that he appears in the plane of water, just disguised as someone else.
    Is that true? Could someone explain the details?
    Athanil@Gelidra <Harshmallows>
    -- 11/11 HK | 8/9 MoM | 4/4 CoA NM --

  2. #2
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athanil View Post
    I've read somewhere that Orphiel is a tenebrean, and also that he appears in the plane of water, just disguised as someone else.
    Is that true? Could someone explain the details?
    Fair warning: spoilers below...

    As far as I know, Captain Cursor did say Orphiel was somewhere in the PoW storyline (I think in a livestream at some point), but I don't know that anyone has officially found him.

    The idea that Orphiel is a tenebrean isn't confirmed either. If you pay attention to the storyline, though, you see references to "The Magician." Orphiel has been referred to in similar ways in previous storylines in the game. There's also the fact that his most famous invention, outside of the failsafe device, is his big telescope that allows him to look into the planes. Telescopes feature quite a bit in the storyline in parts of the PoW, and in such a way that it seems like they have a magical link (ie, no one knows where the parts for the telescopes are coming from; they just show up). The fact that these occurrences all also happen when dealing with other tenebreans or their minions has led many people to the conclusion Orphiel also might be one, who defected. No confirmation yet, though.

    If you haven't yet, play the main storyline and pay close attention to these types of details, then come back here and read through all the posts made in this forum past, say... November of last year. Most of them are about this and other related subjects. But there's heavy spoilers involved, so I'd play through on your own at least once.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched Zelurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    284

    Default

    A mage named Orphiel was the right hand mage of the Eth Empire's last Sorcerer King. This other Orphiel was described as a genius whose inventions tended to malfunction. It is highly probable that this Orphiel influenced the Plane of Water settling efforts. It is also possible that both Orphiels are the same person.
    Zenahk@Laethys

  4. #4
    Ascendant hardy83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    In the non-canon comic. Asha was gone for 20-40 years after she died (I forget how long) and when she came back she noted that it seemed Orphiel hasn't aged a day. He kind of ignores that statement.

    Though the comic is non-cannon it does point out that there has been more to Orphiel than meets the eye, and while yes, not 100% confirmed, all signs point to him being a Tenebrean and the one helping the Pelagic Order to get their telescope parts.
    Also yes, it seems he was around during the Eth empire, though I don't know if their destruction was his doing. The story implies it was minions of Maelforge.

    CC did state he had a cameo in 3.0 but no one has found or scene it. My only guess is that instance where you fight laethys in that mini Meridian quest in Draumheim, but it's not repeatable so I don't know.

    CC did also state after that he'll come into play again at some point. When? Who knows.

  5. #5
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Jonus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    4,696

    Default

    I think Orphiel will end up being a servant to an extremely ancient Akvan, or some being even before Akvans and Tenebreans. He doesn't outright say it because nobody would believe he is so old and they'd probably lock him up in a psych ward. So he just influences/experiments on them. Probably tried doing that with the Eth Empire but then Maelforge screwed those plans. So he tries it with the Defiants this time around.

    ********Possible spoilers for a different game***********

    To me, Orphiel and the Tenebreans sounds kind of like Starcraft's Duran/Narud and Hybrids. Duran is temporarily employed by both Terran and Zerg, but he's actually a shapeshifter that is working to resurrecting his master, Amon (a Xel'Naga) and creating Hybrids in the interim.

    Both Duran and Orphiel seem to appear/live longer than is normal for a human (with Duran being a shapeshifter). Both seem to work for multiple people - Orphiel with the Eth, the Defiants and (possibly) the Tenebreans before that; Duran with the Confederate Resistance Forces, United Earth Directorate, Terran Dominion, Moebius Foundation and even temporarily with the Zerg/Kerrigan as a pretend Infested Terran.

    I'm very interested in how this progresses from here on out. I feel like we haven't seen Orphiel for a while because he is doing research on Hybrids of his own. He seems to have betrayed the Tenebreans (if he is in fact The Magician), so who above the Tenebreans does he serve?

  6. #6
    Ascendant hardy83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    I'm not sure if Orphiel is sided with any "god". He has shown massive disdain against god-like figures, specifically the Vigil.
    He has fought against the dragon "gods" and berates the Guardians all the time for their beliefs.

    He talks several times about mortals making their own decisions, which knowing Aia know, might have been a slight against her.

    He's tried to protect Telara many times, only putting them at risk because he was tricked into it.

    It's almost as if he WAS sided with one or many of gods, but felt their direction or control was BS (or he got screwed over) and went off to screw them over and find ways to replicate their power so they don't need them.

    It wouldn't surprise me at all if Tenebreans are Ascended, but Aia's. Though the re-used models for them is confusing.
    Maybe Aia isn't making ascended, but instead pulling them from alternate universes, since she has some form of power over that.
    I dunno. lol I just don't think Orphiel has a hidden agenda, but is a reformed enemy.

    I guess it is a bit Duran Starcraft-y though.

    All I know is that he clearly has more knowledge about gods then he lets on, specifically the Vigil.

  7. #7
    Ascendant Samuraiko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Filming on the Internet
    Posts
    2,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    In the non-canon comic. Asha was gone for 20-40 years after she died (I forget how long) and when she came back she noted that it seemed Orphiel hasn't aged a day. He kind of ignores that statement.

    Though the comic is non-cannon it does point out that there has been more to Orphiel than meets the eye, and while yes, not 100% confirmed, all signs point to him being a Tenebrean and the one helping the Pelagic Order to get their telescope parts.
    Also yes, it seems he was around during the Eth empire, though I don't know if their destruction was his doing. The story implies it was minions of Maelforge.

    CC did state he had a cameo in 3.0 but no one has found or scene it. My only guess is that instance where you fight laethys in that mini Meridian quest in Draumheim, but it's not repeatable so I don't know.

    CC did also state after that he'll come into play again at some point. When? Who knows.
    I'm constantly repeating that questline up on the PTS so I can film it - I think the only way Orphiel appears in that one is when you sic all the Defiant NPCs against each other... if memory serves, he's the one slugging it out with Sylver in the College of Planar Studies.

    TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

    Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

  8. #8
    Rift Master IonCannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    688

    Default

    I've been *****ing about Orphiel's relevance since 2.0... I've just come to the conclusion it will never happen.

    IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

  9.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #9
    Rift Team captaincursor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    I've been *****ing about Orphiel's relevance since 2.0... I've just come to the conclusion it will never happen.
    I've been wondering about the censored word in that sentence.

  10. #10
    Rift Master IonCannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Feel free to take some guesses Ill let you know if you are correct....

    IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

  11. #11
    Ascendant Crithappens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dannuck View Post
    The idea that Orphiel is a tenebrean isn't confirmed either. If you pay attention to the storyline, though, you see references to "The Magician." Orphiel has been referred to in similar ways in previous storylines in the game.
    Similar? If you go to Sanctum and hang around next to Alaric and the dwarven assassin, the dwarf calls Orphiel "The Magician" verbatim. It's also worth noting that this line also capitalizes "Magician", meaning the dwarf is using it as a specific title instead of a generalized statement about mages.
    Rahka@Wolfsbane

  12. #12
    Prophet of Telara Mordrahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    Yes, and poor Tom the madman in Sanctum also talks about The Magician who changed things for bad.
    The Magician is Orphiel. Made me think of tarot cards, but I couldn't find any logic in game lore to support this idea.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 04-24-2015 at 12:11 AM.

    Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

  13. #13
    Thread of Fate Twinmoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    368

    Default

    We know for a fact the Magician is Orphiel - having Omen / Quantum sight on near Poor Tom allows you to see Orphiel using Paralyzing Whispers on him to keep his mind muddled. Poor Tom is likely one of the only Telarans that knows the extents of Orphiel's power, and yet, he can't help us.

    Alaric and Burne (yes, that's the dwarf's name) know that one of Orphiel's titles is the Magician, but I don't think they have an idea as to how far back Orphiel's power reaches. For perspective, he muddled about with the Eth Empire and planar colonies before the Convocation. The tower at Redoubt is supposed to be - guess who? - Orphiel's!

    There's still a lot we don't know about him, and we are going to be intentionally left in the dark until the time is right.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Twinmoon View Post
    We know for a fact the Magician is Orphiel - having Omen / Quantum sight on near Poor Tom allows you to see Orphiel using Paralyzing Whispers on him to keep his mind muddled. Poor Tom is likely one of the only Telarans that knows the extents of Orphiel's power, and yet, he can't help us.

    Alaric and Burne (yes, that's the dwarf's name) know that one of Orphiel's titles is the Magician, but I don't think they have an idea as to how far back Orphiel's power reaches. For perspective, he muddled about with the Eth Empire and planar colonies before the Convocation. The tower at Redoubt is supposed to be - guess who? - Orphiel's!

    There's still a lot we don't know about him, and we are going to be intentionally left in the dark until the time is right.
    Everything you're saying is right, but I don't remember anything in game saying the tower at Redoubt was Orphiel's. Can you give me the quest or a screen shot that says this? Seriously, I've done that zone like 4 times, and I don't remember anyone naming the tower as his.

  15. #15
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    I've been wondering about the censored word in that sentence.
    Methinks it begins with a "b" and ends with an "h."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts