+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By IonCannon
  • 1 Post By hardy83
  • 1 Post By hardy83

Thread: Is Akylios still dead with HK becomming lvl 65 raid?

Default Is Akylios still dead with HK becomming lvl 65 raid?

Hi there,
    I have a question about the fact that HK become a lvl 65 raid that replace the level 50 version.

Maybe I make a mistake here but I understood that the level 50 version of it will be removed, right?

What about the lore, is Akylios still dead? How will new players get into the story of HK fortress, Jonaru and Akylios?

Raids in rift always been big part of the lore, and i'm quite confused about the fact that the level 50 version of HK disapears because that will mean that Akylios is not dead just after Greenscale and before laethys/Maelforge but long after Regulos death and the second Crucia overthrow.

Maybe i'm overthinking this and it will not change anything but for me, having a new "intrepid" version of HK is great and not a lore-problem. Removing the old one on the other side can introduce an inconsistency.

(As always, please excuse my bad english!)
    Moystia <L'Ordre Draconique> - Brisesol

I think it was mentioned somewhere that the "new" Hammerknell was created by Lord Arak as a nightmare of Telarans, after we had conquered the place the first time. Don't quote me on that, though.
    Last edited by Twinmoon; 04-02-2015 at 02:48 AM.

The lore is going to be super thin and sketchy but it will work as such.

The level 50 version is canon and happened Akylios dies at level 50, it will just be unplayable. The level 65 version is some nightmare recreation put on by Lord Arak that is going to be identical to the old raid. From the lore perspective its a flimsy and half-assed way insert a content rehash into the game. This is because it in all likelihood will be 100% copy paste (minus mechanical touch ups) of the old raid. It is unlikely to have any story elements what so ever.

Now my suggestion to the devs is please have Lord Arak and maybe his cohorts be the narrator of our trip through the dungeon and taunting the raid as they progress.

For example:

As we approach Murdantix: Lord Arak says something like "Now doesn't this bring back old memories progenitor? Blah... Blah... Nightmare... Blah... Hope you remember how you beat these beasties."

As we approach Sicaron: Lord Arak makes a dumb joke about purging.

Etc... you can just have these voice clips throughout the dungeon and it will essentially be solid from a lore perspective. This works well in my mind because you can explain why the ascended are here, what Lord Arak is doing (Recreating the ascended's nightmare that these creatures have come back), and why all these old creatures are back. All rapped up in one nice neat package.
    Last edited by IonCannon; 04-02-2015 at 05:09 AM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

There's three Akylios as far as lore is concerned.

The original real Akylios died in HK.
    The second was a nightmare manifestation that Arak created to fight the ascended, but decided it wasn't worth his time and helped the ascended out.
    The third is Araks second attempt at making a nightmare Akylios that actually wants to kill ascended.

Yeah it's just a flimsy way to reuse old models, raids and content, but I'm okay with it.

The game deals with multi-verse theory, time travel, multiple dimensions/planes and Lovecraftian-esce stories. I'm glad they are open and embrace the concept of the same being existing more than once.
    Even meeting themselves too. (see that dude from the chronicles)

Where as if you ignore it and deal with parallel universes/multi-verse you get issues where say, in WoW, a new timeline for Draenor is created in an apparent attempt to make the two factions stronger, but in creating a new timeline and linking it with the original, there's now the plot hole that every major boss killed (including major burning legion leaders) now exists again as well as there now being a second Azeroth.
    There's also now two Sargeras given the logic.

This game. Sure, there's more than one. Some are good, some are bad, some like to knit! lol
    Last edited by hardy83; 04-02-2015 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    The level 50 version is canon and happened Akylios dies at level 50, it will just be unplayable. The level 65 version is some nightmare recreation put on by Lord Arak that is going to be identical to the old raid.
    Is this your assumption, or is it official version?
    Please Captain Cursor, give us some answer.

And IonCannon, I love your idea of Arak taunting us in the raid

Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    Is this your assumption, or is it official version?
    Please Captain Cursor, give us some answer.

And IonCannon, I love your idea of Arak taunting us in the raid
    Yes, it was probably a livestream or something where it was stated. The new Akylios is a creation of Arak.
    Though I never read anything about the original raid being inaccessible. That would really suck if it was.

Yep, it was mentioned in the 13th March livestream. A summary:

Lord Arak, the leader of Tribulation has been spawning the nightmares of Telarans. One of those nightmares is Akylios, but the nightmare version of Akylios spawned as “Sanity”, a ‘good’ version of Akylios. Intrepid: HK is Lord Arak’s second attempt at spawning nightmare Akylios and all those that surround him in HK.

So technically - Yes, 'our' Akylios is dead. The 'good' nightmare version of Akylios (called "Sanity") is 'alive' in the Plane of Water and the 'bad' nightmare version of Akylios is soon-to-be-killed in Return to Hammerknell.

That said, there's a whole heap of other versions of Akylios that are likely still alive in other, parallel universes. I mean, the universe we went to for Drowned Halls apparently has been overrun by Akylios and his minions. So...to be technically technical, there's probably a very large amount of Akylios' out there.

As for the lore, the Epic Water Saga probably goes over a bit of HK lore and likely Moonshade stories as well.
    Last edited by Jonus; 04-22-2015 at 12:40 AM.

He's currently dead.

Or turned off at least
    4/4 ROF +HM (Conq.) 5/5 MS 3/3 TF (EU Fastest Crucia Kill - alt style) 11/11 HK A.F.K #4 World iGP NM & HM

No no he's not dead, he's, he's restin'! Remarkable Akvan, the Akylios, idn'it, ay? Beautiful tentaclage!

Old Akylios is dead.

New Akylios is real enough that it'd be able to do a doozy on Telara just as the Old Akylios, if allowed. But it would have the various pros+cons that dream/nightmares have.

+ Reply to Thread