+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Asha Catari's origins non-canonical?

Default Asha Catari's origins non-canonical?

I was fooling about with my signed hardback copy of the Telara Chronicles comics, reading them for nostalgia (The one with Comic #0 to...#6 I believe?), and found mention of Asha being resurrected via an Eth resurrection forge shortly after being infused with Regulos' powers.

....The problem is that it's in the Shadowlands. Now, first of all, weren't the Shadowlands outside of Telara entirely, as referenced by early gameplay vids? How would Eth resurrection forges get there, let alone Orphiel and Co. ? Were the Shadowlands originally on Telara before Regulos pierced the Ward after Aedraxis' releasing of the Shade?

Does this mean that Asha's origin story is non-canonical because of the Shadowlands not being in-game anymore? Or are the Telara Chronicles comics no longer canon? I haven't found mention of any other origins, and even the Asha Catari book doesn't help much.

Clarification, anyone? o.O
    ____

Image for clarification of what I mean when I said the Shadowlands are outside of Telara:
    Name:  ChampionShadowlands.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  32.6 KB
    Last edited by Twinmoon; 01-29-2015 at 06:04 PM.

The comic is considered non-canonical, or at least most of it.

Asha's revival was changed from Shadowlands (clearly a moon of Telara) to the cave near where the future Defiant Ascended show up.
    Or something like that.

http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...omic-book.html
    There's actually a sticky right at the top of this forum explaining the changes.

It does suck we don't get Shadowlands. I always loved the idea of zones/areas where the sky is more than just a stupid dome wallpaper with some cloud images hovering just in front of it. lol

3.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #3

As Hardy said, we had to do a bit of a retcon. The comic was published while the lore for Rift was still being developed, and when it came down to a choice of improving the game's starting experience or being faithful to the promotional comic story we chose the game. Hardy is incorrect in that it sucks that we don't get Shadowlands however. The starting zone of an MMO should be the one you do last after you have learned all your design lessons of what your game is. Shadowlands was our first attempt, and by the time we were ready to ship, the game had finally gelled and the zone was not what we would have wanted people to see.

That said I am interested in exploring the unique aspects of Asha's ascension. The trick is finding an appropriate venue in the content update, and competing with all the other stories that we want to explore further.

Ah, that makes sense now. I was somewhat confused and didn't even think to look at the Clearing the Air thread (as I thought it was literally for a comic named Clearing the Air, lol!). Thanks! :S

Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    That said I am interested in exploring the unique aspects of Asha's ascension. The trick is finding an appropriate venue in the content update, and competing with all the other stories that we want to explore further.
    From a story perspective it would be cool to see why orphiel chose to ascend her and why she was so important other then just being cool defiant leader gurl. That is assuming he is more then just an eth magician...

Side question: Who do you think would win in a fisticuffs an Akvan vs a Blood Storm Dragon?
    Last edited by IonCannon; 01-30-2015 at 01:49 PM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Hardy is incorrect in that it sucks that we don't get Shadowlands however. The starting zone of an MMO should be the one you do last after you have learned all your design lessons of what your game is. Shadowlands was our first attempt, and by the time we were ready to ship, the game had finally gelled and the zone was not what we would have wanted people to see.
    NO! It still sucks! I want to go to the moon and space!
    Bang! Zoom! Straight to the Shadowlands!
    I don't care if we go back to Shadowlands of old(I don't realistically expect us to ever go back to the actual map that was made) or Shadowlands of new (new zone with many of the existing art assets is was I would expect), I want to go there! T-T

I want ascended in SpAcE! Including glass bubble helm space suit and space rocket mount!
    Last edited by hardy83; 01-30-2015 at 03:21 PM.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator bctrainers's Avatar

As Hardy said, we had to do a bit of a retcon. The comic was published while the lore for Rift was still being developed, and when it came down to a choice of improving the game's starting experience or being faithful to the promotional comic story we chose the game. Hardy is incorrect in that it sucks that we don't get Shadowlands however. The starting zone of an MMO should be the one you do last after you have learned all your design lessons of what your game is. Shadowlands was our first attempt, and by the time we were ready to ship, the game had finally gelled and the zone was not what we would have wanted people to see.

The shadowlands zone is just a faint memory to me now. I just remember two sections of it where we run thru a bunch of death-touched trees/plants with those death husks and it was very dark / gloomy (much more dark then any zone today), and the other place was an open area with what reminded me of the pools/puddles of water as seen from Forest of Flesh in morban.

Was a neat zone, but never really had that "oh noes, telara is in trouble!!" feeling.
    Last edited by bctrainers; 01-30-2015 at 05:49 PM.
    --BC

Quote Originally Posted by bctrainers View Post

Was a neat zone, but never really had that "oh noes, telara is in trouble!!" feeling.
    ...So Telara being ripped apart by Regulos' tentacles wasn't enough?

OT: I'd really, really love to see more Asha backstory in-game too. I feel like that there isn't really much about Asha or Cyril, even. At least, I haven't found much for Cyril either.

Quote Originally Posted by bctrainers View Post
    The shadowlands zone is just a faint memory to me now. I just remember two sections of it where we run thru a bunch of death-touched trees/plants with those death husks and it was very dark / gloomy (much more dark then any zone today), and the other place was an open area with what reminded me of the pools/puddles of water as seen from Forest of Flesh in morban.

Oh I'm sure the zone was super boring given how early it was made, but I LOVE the look of it and the fact it's the moon of the planet we're on.
    Given this game is all about planes, space, inter-dimensions, why CAN'T we go the moon, or moons, or any other astral body?

Given the Vigil made Telara, I'm sure in the lore the moon(s) can serve an actual purpose.
    I mean the moon in the plane of water servers a purpose, why can't Telaras? lol

I would kill for a full-on lore bible for this game.

TALES OF THE RIFTWALKER is on YouTube!!
    Part IV - Marked by Fate is now live!

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!
    ** The Forum Drinking Game (to be played during server downtimes) **

11.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #11

Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    I want ascended in SpAcE!
    Now THAT is a sentiment I can get behind.

Hey, CC, please tell Hegner that since we never got our Moonbase in CITY OF HEROES, it's now his moral obligation to give us one in RIFT.

Subscribe to my YouTube channel and stay tuned for chances to win stuff via the Trion Worlds Creators Program!

Flying through space riding on the back of Risar Rhinenahyrcaros!...Oh sorry, I meant Cosmic Rhinoceros ;D fighting stuff, or just enjoying the ride.

I'd say "swimming" through space, but that might look weird, or even "swimming" in space with a mount. Hilarious, but probably dumb looking.

What am I talking about, this game has intergalactic space boats! lol
    I forgot the "bone arks" in the Rogue Physician lore post.

That would be so awesome.
    "Rift 4.0: Soulstream introduces boat mechanics... In SpAcE! Travel from Shadowlands through the soulstream searching for the lost Goddess, fighting space rifts and space tentacles monsters along the way!"

Okay I'm ranting sorry. :P

And yes, I would kill too for a big lore book on the game. Or at least easy access to all text and audio files.

Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    What am I talking about, this game has intergalactic space boats! lol
    I forgot the "bone arks" in the Rogue Physician lore post.

That would be so awesome.
    "Rift 4.0: Soulstream introduces boat mechanics... In SpAcE! Travel from Shadowlands through the soulstream searching for the lost Goddess, fighting space rifts and space tentacles monsters along the way!"

Okay I'm ranting sorry. :P

And yes, I would kill too for a big lore book on the game. Or at least easy access to all text and audio files.
    I will make brownies and send them to Trion in exchange for the lore bible. Two 9x13 pans. I can't send milk, it'd go bad before then.

This is a completely serious offer.

Ghirardelli chocolate, Godiva liqueur, creme de cacao, and the Trion team's choice of the following liqueurs: Amaretto (almond), Kahlua (coffee), Chambord (raspberry), creme de menthe (mint), Frangelico (hazelnut), Desiree chocolate port (more chocolate), cherry brandy (duh), Bailey's (what DOES Irish cream taste like?), or Grand Marnier (orange).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast