+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions concerning... ascendation?

Shadowlander

Default Questions concerning... ascendation?

Me and a gang of people (about 7-8 of us or so) are planning to play together as Guardians on the EU RP-PvP servers, and thus we're intending to make a RP-PvP guild.

So far, we're working on a few ideas, and the most basic idea for now would be that of a house, one with actual blood to be traced in between it's Mathosian members. Be it a house of trade or a house of nobility (I don't know how nobility works in Telara and wouldn't mind some help here on to what title's would be fine to play, and what would be "a little too much". In respect to our world, I'd consider it find to play a baroness, who's barony has been lost during the wars but who still holds her title, rather than playing a duke or a prince or something, as that's a bit too high up in the food chain.)

That aside, seeing how some of the "core" members would share blood, the Gods would have to summon several members of the same family, and choose them to fight for them.
    I realize this would probably be much easier to handle in the defiant side, but so far we're much more interested in playing guardians, and as such I am trying to work around this.
    Here are some of my ideas:

A - One or maybe two members are picked by the will of Vigil, and they pray and prove themselves worthy to beg the Gods to send more of their family members over.
    B - At an earlier point, before the war, the spiritual leader of the house had a vision of the forthcoming future (a very, very, -very- vague one) but understood it as that they would do more use dead than alive, and like a sect or a mad cult they all commited suicide in a grand ritual in order to prepare their souls to be choosen by the Vigil to be sent forth in time and fight.
    C - They aren't ascendent at all, simply warriors, mages, rogues and clerics who live in the world of Telara and fight like mad to protect themselves and the world from destruction.

Lore-knowers, is either of these options possible?

Thanks for your time

Well, here are some problems with your post:
    A: could be possible but...The Vigil has a certain plan and what you are begging for might interfere with what they are trying to do. They dont just pick random people for ascendancy. They are picked for their abilities and the bad things they've done.

B: The Guardian Ascendants are chosen because of the way they lived their past life. Murderers, thieves, miscreants, so on a so forth. They are chosen to atone for the wrongs they committed. the "chosen" guardians are chosen because they fought in the Mathosian Civil War not because they committed suicide just before so B is not possible.

C: Its very possible but hard to follow through with. As you aren't Ascendant from either side you don't have the souls of other fallen comrades to give you power to access new abilities you never new before. You will be stuck with one tree the entire game. Now this may be a bad thing or it might not. All i know is, is that you cant be brought back from the dead if you die in a Dungeon or something because you aren't ascendant....sorry folks! and remember it has taken you a very long time to learn the soul tree you've chosen because you are just a regular person and aren't able to learn as fast as an ascendant.

Shadowlander

I understand your reasoning for A and B, but not at all for C.
    Why would I roleplay that I get killed inside an instance? No other MMO I ever played so far have ever given me an IC reason to explain why I can return from the dead, so why would I roleplay that I get killed?

As for a second thought, why would I roleplay swapping around souls? I realize that some may do it, but even if I do intend to play an actual ascendant guardian, I won't be roleplaying that I swap around souls and go from a healer to a inquisitor pew pew, and suddenly becoming super strong and smashing face as a druid.

I honest to God don't think I ever will say IC:ly "Oh no, this is a bad situation. I had better change my soulsetting to become a druid, warden and shaman!"

A shame none of the idea really appealed to you though, interested to hear what the rest of the people have to say.

Because Soul "swapping" or Soul Attunement is what Ascendants do....and as for dying in dungeon..sometimes you just cant help dying...healers sometimes suck....i didnt quite realize this was for an RP'er sorry.

I think B is the most logical, especially the idea that they had a cult-like outlook or were known for an especial cruelty. They would have been so intimately bound in this, perhaps, that the gods' vision was that their Ascendency was to work itself out as a unit. Alternatively, if the idea is that the Vigil simply chose them "for their might", then perhaps their family business was assassination and they were known to work well together.

There's a couple of things I'm not clear on, though --

I don't think they would have committed suicide in anticipation of being called upon as Ascendants later down the road. I don't believe that could have been anticipated.

Also, BizzyD mentions that the Vigil only drew from those who fought in the Mathosian Civil War, which is true in the sense that all who were catapulted twenty years into the future got a taste of that war. But they were drawn as the Ascended from some nebulous past* prior to that leap (which is represented by a character's first log-on).

* Whoops, it appears that I'm wrong here. I guess the idea (or new idea) is that they were drawn from amongst the dead on the existing battlefield (which is also suggested for oneself in the Guardian opening cinematic). http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Talk:Timeline. I hope that my rocking-boat of lore impressions manages to settle sometime.

... Soooo, I guess the family members (were they then existing) could have taken a swing at group suicide just to see where it would get them.
    Last edited by Arkanos; 02-01-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by BizzyD View Post
    Because Soul "swapping" or Soul Attunement is what Ascendants do....and as for dying in dungeon..sometimes you just cant help dying...healers sometimes suck....i didnt quite realize this was for an RP'er sorry.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear enough on that point.
    Death isn't really a situation I've ever seen RP:ed due to instancing or PvP, most would, if they RP it at all, make it out as if they were knocked out or beat up badly.

As for the saying about them only being taken from participants of the civil war, that isn't really true is it? I am quite sure that the story about that boar guy, makes him a character who was killed while performing highway robbery, and nothing more.

The idea that caught my own attention the most so far, and which I have developed some, is the idea of the several family members commiting suicide, when at their "prime" of course, "knowing" that their soul and bodies could one day come to use in the future.

Soulwalker

I think the best one is a mash up of some ideas already presented. My scenario would be a group/family of mercenaries/assassins/something like that were hired as brutal killers during the war. They were merciless and skilled, but one day they took on a job too big for them and were all killed by their target(s) (you can mess around with who the "target(s)" was/were - maybe have some revenge driving you? ex: make one of the other guilds/player(s)/NPC(s) (maybe Defiant) in the game the one(s) who killed all of you, so even though you want redemption you also want pay back.). This way you can all be ascendants who were chosen by the gods to redemm themselves for their past actions and you were brought back together because you work best as a team or something like that.

Cool idea, has lots of potential. See you around!

~ Ritardando

You just need to have all of the family members be some kind of class in life and fighting against King Aedraxis, and dying because of the Shade, then the gods would naturally resurrect them, simple.

General of Telara

This is bothering me too much to overlook...

It's ASCENSION, not ASCENDATION...

+ Reply to Thread