+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dannuck

Thread: Awesome lore so far in Nightmare Tide

  1. #1
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    291

    Default Awesome lore so far in Nightmare Tide

    So I think this is probably the most coherent storyline I've encountered in all of Rift. Just finished the main storyline that came out with release, and I enjoyed it immensely. A few things I wish had been explained more, but I get the feeling I'm missing quests, books, etc that will help flesh things out as I keep exploring. Hope to join the discussions you all are having in here, as well. The "regulars" in this section of the forum really seem to know their stuff, and I think it'll be fun to figure stuff out with you guys, or maybe just bask in your superior wisdom, lol.

    If so inclined, can anyone answer these questions for me, or at least give me their opinions on them:

    1. Is Aia associated with anyone else that has been revealed yet? The quest line involving her and Cosmologist Mann made it seem like she had her own agenda for him, but then he goes and resurrects an Akvan. Is she just using the Akvan to further her own goals, or is she actually aligned with them?

    2. The tenebreans are Admal, Pallas, etc. Who are the Risar? I saw the name come up, if I'm remembering correctly, near the beginning of Goboro Reef, then near the end of Tarken Glacier. I kinda assumed they were the same entities, but then the quest text in some places seemed to reinforce the name "tenebrean" for Admal and his ilk, and the "Risar" for someone the Akvan were reporting to, I think. Anyone clarify it for me?

    3. Is there any reason to assume that the 3 antagonists are aligned with each other? The akvan seem to want to destroy everything; the tenebreans seem to want to destroy everything; Aia seems to want to destroy everything. Everyone wants to destroy everything, apparently. But then there's hints that Aia was trying to stop something MORE terrible from coming along, when you see the visions of events she would have preferred to the Ascended beating the dragons. I always got the feeling she was referring to the tenebreans as that "more terrible" thing, but I'm not sure.

    Anyways guys, hope to get to know you all as we figure this stuff out. I'm quite excited for it.

  2. #2
    Ascendant bitnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dannuck View Post
    So I think this is probably the most coherent storyline I've encountered in all of Rift. Just finished the main storyline that came out with release, and I enjoyed it immensely. A few things I wish had been explained more, but I get the feeling I'm missing quests, books, etc that will help flesh things out as I keep exploring. Hope to join the discussions you all are having in here, as well. The "regulars" in this section of the forum really seem to know their stuff, and I think it'll be fun to figure stuff out with you guys, or maybe just bask in your superior wisdom, lol.

    If so inclined, can anyone answer these questions for me, or at least give me their opinions on them:

    1. Is Aia associated with anyone else that has been revealed yet? The quest line involving her and Cosmologist Mann made it seem like she had her own agenda for him, but then he goes and resurrects an Akvan. Is she just using the Akvan to further her own goals, or is she actually aligned with them?
    Apparently Risar was the progenitor of the Akvan, some sort of proto-entity that dominated the cosmos back in the time of 11 dimensions, herbs, and spices. You use fragments associated with or of him to craft it would seem - Risarin Minim. As far as the relation between Aia, the Akvan, and the Tenebreans:

    Quote Originally Posted by bitnine View Post
    Spoiler alerts. Anyways:

    Celestial beings including messengers of the Vigil and the Drekanoth of Fate defeated the Akvan and sealed them away. They then used their power to trap the Akvan using Mount Sharax and created the frost giant Sharax to serve as an anchor. At some point, Aia had a falling out with the gods of the Vigil. The Drekanoth of Fate released the Sharax from their service and encouraged them to harness the power of the Akvan instead of keeping them imprisoned. (Mount Sharax raid is the Ascended stopping this and the first demon Matrodraum from entering this reality.)

    Aia seems to be putting in her lot with the Akvan in the hopes that even if they destroy and remake reality, they will have the strength to fend off the Tenebreans. She had previously tried something similar with Blood Storm in the Bindings of Blood raid tier. So the Akvan seem to be her new chosen "lesser of two evils", and she's now prepared to sacrifice reality to them instead of just Telara to the Blood Storm.

    In the storyline for the temple of Aia you do get another tidbit - you see one of the Tenebreans, Pallas, speak of how the Magician (Orphius) was supposed to being working as their agent but had instead gone rogue and created his own army of Ascended. "His own" since apparently the Tenebreans are also Ascended, possibly the original flavor. Also, between this storyline, the chronicle, and the Gyel dungeon we've now seen the form of 3 Tenebreans.
    Last edited by bitnine; 12-02-2014 at 02:02 PM.

  3. #3
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Thanks bitnine. That's kinda where I was going with it, but wanted to make sure I wasn't just making bad jumps in logic that everyone else was seeing differently.

  4. #4
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bitnine View Post
    In the storyline for the temple of Aia you do get another tidbit - you see one of the Tenebreans, Pallas, speak of how the Magician (Orphius) was supposed to being working as their agent but had instead gone rogue and created his own army of Ascended. "His own" since apparently the Tenebreans are also Ascended, possibly the original flavor. Also, between this storyline, the chronicle, and the Gyel dungeon we've now seen the form of 3 Tenebreans.
    It's nice to see the story of "The Magician" get some attention, too. They've always hinted that there's more to him than just being a scientist. From Poor Tom's ramblings in Sanctum to some of the stories they've released on the website that mention Orphiel in one way or another, there's always been something about the dude that we didn't know. I'm liking where this new info is taking him.

  5. #5
    Ascendant hardy83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    I'm not 100% sure when the lore writers are trying to label as "Risar". It might actually be Draum the seashell up in the sky. lol

    This is a quote from Arethea from probably a quest, I can't remember.
    "The Akvan threaten not just our reef, but all of the dreams of the Risar."

    Whether or not Draum is some sort of race of super beings, or just specifically the one, who knows.
    However since Draum apparently created ALL of the water planes, one is to assume there is one for the other planes as well.

    The Akvan were around before creation, so whether or not Draum made at least some of the Akvan, or that they always existed, I don't know.
    Draum is somehow connected to the dreams of mortals, and their dreams become reality, which is where the Onir come from, but also the nightmares.
    The Akvan however are NOT the nightmares. Arak and his little ragtag are the manifestations of Ascended nightmares through Draums dream powers, they seem to be completely different from the Akvan.
    I don't believe Arak has given any sign that he's actually on the Akvan "team" though he has shown willingness to work with them if it means he gets his goal of destroying all progenitors (mortals).

  6. #6
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    I'm not 100% sure when the lore writers are trying to label as "Risar". It might actually be Draum the seashell up in the sky. lol

    This is a quote from Arethea from probably a quest, I can't remember.
    "The Akvan threaten not just our reef, but all of the dreams of the Risar."

    Whether or not Draum is some sort of race of super beings, or just specifically the one, who knows.
    However since Draum apparently created ALL of the water planes, one is to assume there is one for the other planes as well.

    The Akvan were around before creation, so whether or not Draum made at least some of the Akvan, or that they always existed, I don't know.
    Draum is somehow connected to the dreams of mortals, and their dreams become reality, which is where the Onir come from, but also the nightmares.
    The Akvan however are NOT the nightmares. Arak and his little ragtag are the manifestations of Ascended nightmares through Draums dream powers, they seem to be completely different from the Akvan.
    I don't believe Arak has given any sign that he's actually on the Akvan "team" though he has shown willingness to work with them if it means he gets his goal of destroying all progenitors (mortals).
    Just did a daily in Tarken Glacier from Octus Monastery, called "Observations at the Edge." You go around, find rifts and position telescopes in order to observe the Risar. The exact wording of the quest is "I could use your help in getting some critical observations of the Risar along Frystfall Trench."

    You then place the telescopes and get emotes like "Risar Myrkur obscuring band of sky up to 02h 22m 05s Ascension -47 Declination." Another one is "Risar Rhinenahyrcaros visible at 02h 17m 22s Ascension 62 Declination, as well as 22h 15m 12s Ascension 47 Declination." There's several more, as you place 4 telescopes, and I've seen at least 6 possible rifts you can place them at. The two others named in the quest today were Risar Hellirinn and Risar Orrygcrysmla.

    In other words, there's more than one Risar, and you're able to observe them. And they're probably VERY big.

  7. #7
    Ascendant hardy83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dannuck View Post
    Just did a daily in Tarken Glacier from Octus Monastery, called "Observations at the Edge." You go around, find rifts and position telescopes in order to observe the Risar. The exact wording of the quest is "I could use your help in getting some critical observations of the Risar along Frystfall Trench."

    You then place the telescopes and get emotes like "Risar Myrkur obscuring band of sky up to 02h 22m 05s Ascension -47 Declination." Another one is "Risar Rhinenahyrcaros visible at 02h 17m 22s Ascension 62 Declination, as well as 22h 15m 12s Ascension 47 Declination." There's several more, as you place 4 telescopes, and I've seen at least 6 possible rifts you can place them at. The two others named in the quest today were Risar Hellirinn and Risar Orrygcrysmla.

    In other words, there's more than one Risar, and you're able to observe them. And they're probably VERY big.
    Well I guess that confirms it. lol
    I haven't done any dailies because I've been busy with other games and getting the stupid invisible NPC text.

    So I guess there's one in Myrkurs depths.
    There's also apparently an Akvan there too, along with the main Eth station called "Prime".
    Interesting.

    Also there's Risar called Rhinenahyrcaros.
    That appears to be a pretty obvious nod to the Ogres in Dendrome. Perhaps their Cosmic Rhinoceros is real and a Risar.

    I guess now instead of just guessing what the full natures of the dragons and Gods are, we now have to sit here and guess the full nature of also the Risar and Tenebreans.

    On a side note, during the main story, the Pelagic Order (did I spell that right? lol) need parts for their telescope, and stated that they didn't build it, but parts kept falling from the sky as if someone was aiding them.
    There's only one person we know with a telescope like that, but I don't know if he has the power to send telescope parts to the planes, so I wonder if there's another Tenebrean that is helping them.

  8. #8
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post

    On a side note, during the main story, the Pelagic Order (did I spell that right? lol) need parts for their telescope, and stated that they didn't build it, but parts kept falling from the sky as if someone was aiding them.
    There's only one person we know with a telescope like that, but I don't know if he has the power to send telescope parts to the planes, so I wonder if there's another Tenebrean that is helping them.
    Ha! I didn't even catch that. But yeah, that's like his most famous invention, minus the Defiant Ascended: a telescope that allows him to observe the planes.

  9. #9
    Prophet of Telara Mordrahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    Risar is a Norse word.
    It is the plural form of Risi, which means giant.

    And for the Akvan, one quest says Akvan are the nightmares of the Risar. Matraudraum is Draum's nightmare, so the other Akvan probably are products of the other Risar.

    Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

  10. #10
    Ascendant hardy83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    Risar is a Norse word.
    It is the plural form of Risi, which means giant.

    And for the Akvan, one quest says Akvan are the nightmares of the Risar. Matraudraum is Draum's nightmare, so the other Akvan probably are products of the other Risar.
    Do you know where specifically or roughly that was said? What zone? Was it the main story quests?
    I don't recall that being said, though I'm sure it did. I just want to be sure that the Risar are a creation of something and aren't one of those "already exist" things.

  11. #11
    Prophet of Telara Mordrahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,079

    Default

    I did some search in my screens and found it.
    It is in the Arak quest, in Draumheim, when Arak tries to ally with Martraudraum. He says something about Risar nightmares and mortal nightmares working together.
    Another quest says Martraudraum is Draum's nightmare, but I don't remember where it is.
    Last edited by Mordrahan; 12-06-2014 at 01:26 PM.

    Dimensions on Brisesol : Domaine Imari (Mordrahan) / Centre de recherches (Mordrahan) / Laboratoire glaciaire (Mordrahan) / Last hope (Aislyn) / Le refuge du Corbeau Rouge (Kasora) / Kelari spirit (Asri) / Ghost ship (Syel) / A la vie, la mort (Sadar) / Le chemin de l'harmonie (Sadar) / Temple Solaire (Sadar) / Refuge de montagne (Sadar)

  12. #12
    Ascendant hardy83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    I did some search in my screens and found it.
    It is in the Arak quest, in Draumheim, when Arak tries to ally with Martraudraum. He says something about Risar nightmares and mortal nightmares working together.
    Another quest says Martraudraum is Draum's nightmare, but I don't remember where it is.
    Ooooo okay. I see.
    Looking through my main quest pics, I do see that, earlier it's also stated the Draum gave mortals the ability to dream into the cosmos. Why or how, I dunno.
    But yes, that means mortals have the ability to dream nightmares as well as Draum.
    Onir also being the result of Draums dreams.

  13. #13
    Ascendant hardy83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    Well I did that daily in Tarken where you use the telescope to check out the cosmos and other Risar and wrote down, from what I gather, all the recordings when doing it.

    • Risar Hellirinn aperture visible at 00h 51m 29s Ascebsuib 22 Declination.
    • The Risar Tortskjaldjon's shell rim is visible through reflection at 20h 03m 05s Ascension, 33 Declination.
    • Through a brief lensing of Tortskjaldjon's you catch of glimpse of the Unution cosmos, signified by the black with red light, as if it is bleeding. 04h 42m 17s Ascension -90 Declanation
    • Risar Solraminous corona visible at 05h 18m 47s Ascension -05 Declination.
    • Risar Uppbygging spire visible 21h 11m 41s Ascension -38 Declination
    • Risar Rhinenahyrcaros visible at 02h 17m 22s Ascension 62 Declination, as well as 22h 15m 12s Ascension 47 Declination.
    • Risar Kaldurklaki obscuring the NW observations beyond 03h 15m 07s 33 Declination
    • Risar Varmantiura setting at 18h 03m 22s Ascension -33 Declination
    • Risar Oryggcrysmla rates of transparency of above average, and a seeing quality of good.
    • Risar Myrkur obsuring band of sky up to 02h 22m 05s Ascension -47 Declination
    • Quintessence eddy observed at 03h 18m 38s Ascebsuib 17 Declination.
    • The cosmos Verta is visible at a Sharax apex of 0h 0m 0s Ascension, 90 Declanation. It burns a bright, undifferentiated blue and flares with every new apocalyptic threat.
    • Ikbarru's Brood Constellation visible at 22h 05m 08s Ascension 19 Declination. Stars burn orange tonight.
    • One of Elilpachstodin Pillars at 20h 45m 8s Ascension, 33 Declination.
    • The traveler Cosmos is passing over the Arc of Eternity 23h 17m 09s Ascension 14 Declination and rising.
    • The Bifrons Cosmos spreads out over the sky beginning at 21h 10m 43s Ascension +45. Ancient records indicate this was once a verdant green. Now it reflects only ash grays.
    This denotes at least 10 Risar.
    Hellirinn, Tortskjaldjon, Solraminous, Uppbygging, Rhinenahyrcaros (which I will hence force consider this and the Cosmic Rhinoceros once and the same until told otherwise), Kaldurklaki, Varmantiura, Oryggcrysmla, Myrkur and Draum.

  14. #14
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    Well I did that daily in Tarken where you use the telescope to check out the cosmos and other Risar and wrote down, from what I gather, all the recordings when doing it.



    This denotes at least 10 Risar.
    Hellirinn, Tortskjaldjon, Solraminous, Uppbygging, Rhinenahyrcaros (which I will hence force consider this and the Cosmic Rhinoceros once and the same until told otherwise), Kaldurklaki, Varmantiura, Oryggcrysmla, Myrkur and Draum.
    Thanks for doing this. One that catches my eye there is "The cosmos Verta is visible at a Sharax apex of 0h 0m 0s Ascension, 90 Declanation. It burns a bright, undifferentiated blue and flares with every new apocalyptic threat." The phrasing "the cosmos Verta" seems to imply that it is referring to a group of ... universes and planes completely separate from our own, but somehow still visible. The coordinates of 0,0,0 Ascension and 90 Declination also seem somehow significant. It's been a long time since I looked at how astronomical measurements were done, but I think this means it's relative to the north pole of the plane of water we're in. Which is weird since I don't think it's a planet. Maybe it's just a random measurement put in by the devs, but historically, on Earth, the poles have been important in terms of many celestial entities or measurements.

  15. #15
    Ascendant hardy83's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    I assume cosmos is being used in its definitive term, which is essentially a galaxy.

    So one is to guess that all these cosmos are all different universes, but it's really hard to say since we don't know how the world of Rift works in regards to Creation, the planes and planets.

    I doubt captaincursor has any degree in atrophysicists or anything, but it seems like the Rift world for the most part, functions like ours, plus these "planes" and Risar and other gods.
    With multiverse and string theory thrown in. With a dab of fantasy magic and Eldritch gods.

    So I see Rift like this.
    Telara is a planet, it has a moon, it has a sun, it's part of a system that is within a galaxy/cosmos and universe. If gods created that universe/Creation, than there is most likely an end, who knows how big the Creation universe is.

    Planes I view as an entirely different universe, universes with different rules than ours such as all matter being contained within water like the plane of water, or mostly nothing but storms and little land like the plane of air. Not just planets, sun and space.
    With multidimensional travel being a thing in this world, Rifts are essentially wormholes/portals that connect into another dimension, which appear to be random. As well as other possible methods of travelling between then as shown by Tenebreans and the gods with Risar most likely having some sort of connection too.
    The planes, just like Telaras universe was "created", but not by the vigil, but beings known as Risar (apparently).
    This is where String Theory comes in.
    However there SEEMS to be some indication that there is actually a set amount of planets/universes. Some text suggest 11/12 planes. We know of 7 (ours, water, fire, death, air, earth, life).
    They are not physically near each other per say, but kind of in their own reality where they interconnect, with Telara, or the universe Telara is in being some sort of focal point or nexus to all the planes.
    Like a bunch of papers very tightly stacked on top of each other with a brass fastener (Creation/Telara) in the middle connecting everything....I guess. lol

    Slivers and time travel obviously is the multiverse theory. In that there is an infinite number of incarnations of all universes with every possibility occurring.
    They may be viewed as other galaxies, but they aren't really.
    Aia has power of these in some form, or at least the ability to see them all.
    Like said bunch of papers, but now there's an infinite number of seperate piles where they are all slightly different.
    Travel to and from these seem to be possible though not as common as rifts.

    The Soulstream is where the fantasy/magic stuff comes in. It's some sort of astral river where the souls of dead mortals flow.
    It's not really a universe, but more of a...thing. It apparently edges both the plane of life and death, but is also clearly connected to the Creation universe.
    My guess is this stream transcends dimensions and doesn't obey and laws we would normally think of, it's sort of like gravity I guess. Magic gravity with souls. lol


    At least that's how I see it all and probably put WAY too much thought into it. lol

    So where these other cosmos are, who knows, the plane of water probably? Maybe another place? I doubt it, the quest was just a little telescope looking at it. It seems only the big ones can see into other planes.

    As for the time views of space. Maybe they mean something, but without a month, day and a year, they mean nothing to us.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts