+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Some lore questions

Default Some lore questions

I've got a couple lore questions, and I apologize in advance if the answers are easily available. If they are, they eluded me, the sneaky devils.

1. So I know the Guardians go forward in time about 20 years once completing the starting zone. How far back in time do the Defiant go? We see Asha Catari, Sylver Valis, The Faceless Man and one or two others in both the past and future so it can't be that far. Maybe 20 years like the Guardians?

2. I'm confused about Orphiel's role. He's portrayed as an absolute villain on the Guardian side and a hero on the Defiant. I'm sure both are more propaganda than the truth, which probably lies somewhere in the middle. Do we know that truth?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonDad View Post
    1. So I know the Guardians go forward in time about 20 years once completing the starting zone. How far back in time do the Defiant go? We see Asha Catari, Sylver Valis, The Faceless Man and one or two others in both the past and future so it can't be that far. Maybe 20 years like the Guardians?
    There has been no clear definition to it, from what I understand, although in some respects we have to think that it's not too far since Orphiel and the other NPCs who aren't Ascended or Undead are still rather young looking. We also have no point of reference for when Shyla betrayed the Guardians and fell to Regulos, which is what triggers the sudden surge in getting the Ascendance machines working.

2. I'm confused about Orphiel's role. He's portrayed as an absolute villain on the Guardian side and a hero on the Defiant. I'm sure both are more propaganda than the truth, which probably lies somewhere in the middle. Do we know that truth?
    I've never gotten the impression that the Defiant's see Orphiel as an out right hero, although there is a lot of respect for him due to the creation of Asha the Ascendant. He seemed to be about on par or a bit below the talent of the other Covenant members, and seems to be primarily known for being a researcher and a scholar rather than a hero. Just my impression, I could be wrong.

The Guardian's centralize him in their propaganda not only because they see him as the leader of the Defiant, but also because of how scholarly he is in regards to bringing Eth technologies back to life. They may also know he found a way to make Ascended beings, and find that as an affront to the Vigil. There's a lot of reasons they need to make him out to be a complete villain.

RIFT Fan Site Operator EntreNous's Avatar

good post Darkfae!

They may also know he found a way to make Ascended beings, and find that as an affront to the Vigil.
    We learn that the Guardians do in fact know this ... When we land at the shores we meet "Siena Faralon" she tells us ...
    "We were crossing to destroy their Ark of the Ascended, a foul device they created to replicate the Ascension of the Vigil.

Also, I just wanted to add a lil' something ... I think a lot of the reasoning behind the Defiants seeing Orphiel as a so called "Hero" is the fact that ... He played a leadership role in guiding his followers away from Port Scion and then to set up Meridian as the Defiant headquarters. That is quite a task. If not a hero, then for sure someone viewed in a higher elevated class.

There is no doubt that after Port Scion falls, Orphiel is seen amongst the Guardians as a villain. How deep that runs within the populace is subject of futher investigation.
    RiftRares ... A work in progress.
    Rogue on FaeBlight
    8/8 RR's ... 4/4 DH ... 4/4 GP ... 5/5 GsB ... 5/5 RoS ... 2/4 RotP ... 10/11 HK

Thanks you both for your thoughts. I find the lore of this game just fascinating.

I don't remember hearing how far in the future the Defiant's start was, but it could be as little as 20 years I suppose. Orphiel interests me. i wonder if he was a traitor, or had a change of heart, or is someone impersonating him to play both sides against each other. Agent of Regulos maybe?

I do like the allowance for depth this lore does give.
    System: Asus G73Sw Laptop, Processor: Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (4 CPUs) Memory: 8192MB RAM. Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 4063 MB Memory. Direct X 11. OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Administrator for Riftrp.Net, the official affiliated Roleplay forum

Telaran

Some of those people, can't really be used for a timeframe.

Asha Catari: Was killed, and pulled from the soulstream by Regulos. Given great powers, and then tortured. And eventually revived by Orphiel. There is no data on how long she was dead, or what kind of powers was given to her by Regulos. Though death powers are not unlikely as they were given by Regulos.

The Faceless Man: Was a former follower of Akylios. Again no telling what kind of powers he would have gained here.

Though I would guess somewhere in the 20-50 year range, anything less that 20 years for Regulos to take over the world is unlikely, if the Ascended are to actually have a change against him. And anything more than 50 years, and the Guardians should have been able keep kick his *** on their own.

As for Orphiel, his place in the world is a multifaceted at best. He's one of the good old classic scientist types going "I wonder what happens if I press this button". He plays a part in the fall at port scion. Not for political reasons, but because it gives him a shot at copying the Vigils powers. The Guardians obviously hates him, if not for his part in the fall of port scion. Then for having the audacity to belive himself equal to the Gods (Vigil). As for The Defiants, they were created by Orphiel. And he was the one to figure out the whole Ascension process. The Defiants see Orphiel, not as a hero, but more as an efficient commander. He's the one thats gonna tip the scales to The Defiants, so they can kick Regulos' ***....

Telaran

Just a little thing, because itís not been mentioned, but if you speak to Asha she hints that Orphiel isnít to be trusted.

We also know from the Defiantís timeline in the future he ďvanishedĒ at some point leaving Asha in command. I get the feeling itís certainly a storyline to keep a close eye on.
    Sindran Sathos, Marshal of the Order of Ardenburgh

Rift Roleyplayers - unofficial home of Rift roleplay!

Soulwalker

According to the Mathosian Civil War reveal at Massively, Orphiel was simply hired by Aedraxis, his old student and to his knowledge the legit king of Mathosia, to build stuff. He may have shown poor judgement in doing this, but he didn't know that Aedraxis would invite in Regulos. Still, it was his machine that broke the Ward, so you can see why the Guardians wouldn't like or trust him.

Entry III
    Having taken most of the funds, Zareph has robbed his king of much-needed resources. With peasants and merchants alike withholding our due and reasonable taxes, coffers remain low. Still, this is a much-needed boost. We have hired southern mercenaries to harry Zareph's outlaws and commissioned our old tutor Orphiel to build Ethian war machines. These shall lay him low, and then Orphiel will open the planes themselves to be conquered by a united Mathosia. Zareph could have marched into these other worlds behind me. Now he will go before me, his skull atop my banner.

Entry V

How can this be? Zareph and Cyril defeated my undead and marched to Silverwood, where they met a contingent of High Elves led by the harlot Shyla. Borrin of the Dwarves has also joined them, offering the smithcraft his people have denied my forces. Even my dotard father's black-clad by-blow Corwin has managed to stop weeping over the granitewoods I harvested for my war effort to join the rebels. As I write, they march on my position at Ardenburgh.

Oh, but they will find more than they bargained for. For centuries the eldest son of the Mathosian king has ruled Telara, and for eternity I shall rule all creation. Beyond my legions upon legions of walking dead, beyond my own sorcerous prowess, I have had that narcissistic fool Orphiel build a machine to open the planes. One in particular, where the rest of me resides.
    For I am not yet whole, have never been whole all my life. I shall tear apart the sky, and my other half shall join with me. Think of it! I am the promised half of Him who is the most vast and ultimate of beings. Already, I am His equal.

I think I shall finally return to the proper, royal We...

From what I understand Asha Catari wasnt "tortured" by Regulos..she had died in a battle and as she drifted in the Soul Stream Regulos saw a power within her which would enable her to be his Avatar on Talara so he took her from the Stream and granted her powers,when he asked if she would be his Avatar she refused.As he was tearing her apart with his magic for her affront Orphiel's Ascension Machine pulled her soul away to inhabit a new Body but the degree of power she was exposed to by Regulos left permanent markings even on her new Body.

The Guardians are a little misunderstood..in the Guardian Intro they do indeed hate the Defiant,or more specifically the Defiants reliance on Technomagic because Aedraxis used Orphiel's Technomagic to tear the Veil thus allowing the Planes to seep in again.In ancient times before the Ward was erected by the Vigil Talara was a Nexus between many planes of existance and there was a Balance.It is when the Blood Storm..Godlike Dragons who fed on the Magic of Worlds became aware of Talara that the real trouble started.

Each was an Entity,there forms before the Blood Storm are unknown but when they came to Talara they took the form of Great Collosal Dragons.At that time they were only interested in feeding on the worlds Power but as time went on they developed other Aspects of themselves because of exposure to the Sourcestone and the Planar Rifts.Crucia was drawn to the Plane of Air,Maelforge to the Plane of Fire,Akylios to the Plane of Water,Greenscale to the Plane of Life and finally Regulos to the Plane of Death. As they inhabited these Planes the personalities of then Planes..the energy..infused them and changed all but Regulos he remained steadfast in his determination to suck the world dry and leave it dead and lifeless.

At that time there was no Defiant/Guardian Factions they were all just inhabitants of the World of Talara..from what I gathered there was not even High Elf/Kelari they were just 2 different "theologies" whereas the High Elves took the Duty given to them by Tavril too heart the Passionate Kelari wished to explore the world and not be stuck responsible for babysitting the new Races.This split led to the Kelari leaving Silverwood and finding theyre own Land.

When the Blood Storm came they nearly destroyed the Elves..both High Elf and Kelari..until the loose confederacy of Demigods,Gods and Goddess's of all the Races came together and formed The Vigil in order to help enprison the Blood Storms physical Bodies thus limiting theyre Powers.

Crucia was inprisoned beneath thousands of feet of Ice in the Abyssal Maw mountains and Akylios was locked deep deep under the Ocean.I cannot remember exactly where the other Dragons were inprisoned by one by one they locked them all away..all except Regulos.For Regulos they destroyed his Physical Body(Dragon)and sent and Banished his Soul to the Plane of Death which is why He tried to get an Avatar first in Aedraxis and when that failed he tried for Asha Catari.

Regulos no longer even cares for his Brothers and Sisters of the Blood Storm..they have fallen pray to weakness in his mind and he would just as soon destroy them as free them.

I may have messed some of that up but its late =)

:Vysceral-High Elf Rogue:
    :Ammwyn(Amwynn)-Mathosian Warrior:

Aengar just forgot to mention that the dragons themselves turned on each other because each of them had different interests regarding Telara

"Undone by greed
    Each of the five lesser dragons saw in Telara the image of their own dreams and lusts, but Regulos, the mightiest, would not hear of leaving even a single world intact in his quest to devour all creation. The other dragons of the Blood Storm fell upon him, and as their battle tore the sky, Telaraís people rallied."

I read somewhere what each of them wanted.... but I forgot where ...

Qro
    Soulwalker

I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but there is an established timeline. At least based on the Telara Chronicles, in which we see Asha taking part in the attack against Aedraxis. She then gets killed and when Orphiel brings her back, he says she has been dead about 80 years, give or take. And since Guardians starting zone is right after Aedraxis' defeat and they travel 20 years to the future it would mean Defiants travel 60 years back in time.

At least my logic dictates thusly. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

EDIT: At least 60 years that is. There's no telling how long after Asha's resurrection the Defiant starting zone events take place.
    Last edited by Qro; 02-04-2011 at 07:16 AM.

We don't know anything or the story wouldn't work

But as far as I recall, Ophiel doesn't make an appearance in the Defiant future. He can be the definition of a good guy in the present, people change, maybe he will go crazy. The blood storm does that to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Qro View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but there is an established timeline. At least based on the Telara Chronicles, in which we see Asha taking part in the attack against Aedraxis. She then gets killed and when Orphiel brings her back, he says she has been dead about 80 years, give or take. And since Guardians starting zone is right after Aedraxis' defeat and they travel 20 years to the future it would mean Defiants travel 60 years back in time.

At least my logic dictates thusly. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

EDIT: At least 60 years that is. There's no telling how long after Asha's resurrection the Defiant starting zone events take place.
    About timeline on Guardian side:

As long as I'm at it, I know there is some confusion over the timeline. Those who have played the newbie experience on the Guardian side know that it has been 20 years since the Mathosian Civil War and the Ward was broken, and I want to confirm that as the time. Not 80 or 60, or the other numbers that have been floating around. It's also been one year since Port Scion fell and the Defiants and Guardians officially split off from each other.

Lindsay Morgan Lockhart
    Lore Lead - Defiants
    Trion Worlds, Inc

They changed some things here... 80 years is now irrelevant.

Qro
    Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrahan View Post
    About timeline on Guardian side:

As long as I'm at it, I know there is some confusion over the timeline. Those who have played the newbie experience on the Guardian side know that it has been 20 years since the Mathosian Civil War and the Ward was broken, and I want to confirm that as the time. Not 80 or 60, or the other numbers that have been floating around. It's also been one year since Port Scion fell and the Defiants and Guardians officially split off from each other.

Lindsay Morgan Lockhart
    Lore Lead - Defiants
    Trion Worlds, Inc

They changed some things here... 80 years is now irrelevant.

Hmm, but that refers only to the Guardians and yes, they mention that 20 years have passed after you finish the last quest in the Guardians' starting area. But according to the Telara Chronicles (comic books), in the issue #1, they depict a scene where Asha is resurrected by Orphiel, she asks how long has it been since she died and Orphiel responds: "80 years, give or take.". That leads me to believe that the "future" from which the Defiant Ascended originate is 60+ years from current day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Some lore questions-asha_and_orphiel.jpg  

already answered - no need for same...
    Last edited by Jorun; 02-04-2011 at 09:13 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast