+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Lore seems really bad.

Soulwalker

Default The Lore seems really bad.

Seriously Guardians went to the future and Defiant went in the past and some how both ended up in the exact same alternate universe instead of one ending up in a universe where the defiant didn't go back in time and defiant ending up in one that didn't go forward in time, either way the whole time machine ploy is really stupid regardless of whether this is possible or not.

I don't know why Guardian's went into the Future but the lore seems shot and the game world seems pretty damn empty in terms of creating a 'fantasy world' it seems like they just made random zones and there's no towns, just small faction stations and everyone else some how live in the very small barely a castle, of Meridian and Sanctum.

Telaran

The lore is Not simplistic like wows even tho it is to the point the way the lore is supposed to be intended as the defiants go back in time to change the out come of where you were in the begening of the game.....the guardians are supposedly going in to the future from the past.....to apease the gods and help pretty much Zerg the defiants and the rifts.....

Soulwalker

Yeah, and it's a really terribly thought out and executed idea.

Almost any average person can right up a better idea than that.
    Last edited by Velrin; 01-30-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Yeah seriously, time travel = bad idea Trion. To add to that the player is not well immersed in to the lore at all. Like that dude who died at the end of the Guardian starting area, who the hell cared? Really. I took the time to read the quest text of everything in Silverwood and it was bad, just plain bad. The series of quests there was incoherent, confusing, and at no point does the player feel immersed. The game does a horrible job of bringing you in to the world at first with those impossible to decipher intros. I had to spend some time on the wiki to figure out why I was button mashing. It's not as if many good stories have ever been presented well in mmos though. That said though it's a great game but its story is weak and honestly I don't care at all whether this world is saved or destroyed.

Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Velrin View Post
    Yeah, and it's a really terribly thought out and executed idea.

Almost any average person can right up a better idea than that.
    Yea, too bad you are not the one getting payed good money to write that crappy lore...guess you should have hopped on it boyo! Why you so late to the game hon?

And to all of the above posts(except Dref)...just....wow. Nothing more to really say.

Dref, not sure why even bother with them.
    Last edited by Isadore; 01-30-2011 at 06:08 PM.

You have no idea what you're talking about... I don't even know where to begin.

Seriously Guardians went to the future and Defiant went in the past and some how both ended up in the exact same alternate universe instead of one ending up in a universe where the defiant didn't go back in time and defiant ending up in one that didn't go forward in time, either way the whole time machine ploy is really stupid regardless of whether this is possible or not.
    Both are sent to a discrete point in the same timeline. The Defiants are sent back to the point of the Failsafe's completion, and the Guardians are sent forward to the same period of time by the Vigil, not only to fight the dragons but to counter the new Defiant Ascended. There is no point of error here, the time machine is designed to do the same thing every time, and the Vigil knew exactly where they were putting the Ascended.

I don't know why Guardian's went into the Future but the lore seems shot and the game world seems pretty damn empty in terms of creating a 'fantasy world' it seems like they just made random zones and there's no towns, just small faction stations and everyone else some how live in the very small barely a castle, of Meridian and Sanctum.
    Argent Glade? Gloamwood Pines? Kelari Refuge?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Ahh, but the game isn't the problem. The problem is that someone who can neither write nor think is inexplicably unhappy with something.

RIFT Fan Site Operator EntreNous's Avatar

@Selgrin

You have no idea what you're talking about... I don't even know where to begin.
    Which is exactlly why I trying my hardest to stay away from this thread
    It's one thing to have an opinion on the Lore, but to have such a strong negative opinion and use the phrases he did ... proves to the community that the OP doesn't give a rats-***** about the Lore to begin with!
    If a player didn't read one single quest, but still watched the movies ... they'd walk away with a sense that this game had lore and storyline.

What's funny is to listen to ... LM Lockhart (Defiant Lore Lead) ... try to explain that the lore in this game WAS so complex when they started and since has been watered down so much for the masses to be able to walk away with some knowledge. However, I'm sad to say that I really think it's not been enough.

@Velrin
    either way the whole time machine ploy is really stupid regardless of whether this is possible or not.
    Sounds to me like your real issue isn't really the lore itself, it's merging si-fi time travel with Fantasy. I mean it's stupid even tho it DOES fit into the lore ... right?

@Zanarin
    Like that dude who died at the end of the Guardian starting area, who the hell cared?
    The only people that care are people who are into the RIFT lore.
    BTW ... That DUDE who dies there at the end ... nah, nevermind.
    I will agree some of the Lore is convoluted, due to the fact that is on re-write, but BAD lore ... hmmmm.

in closing ... it's been a great run being in the lore community. You guys have all treated me well. I made some friends along the way and I hope we can all remain subjective in our lore exchanges. I feel however, a wave is about ti hit us unlike we've ever seen. Goodluck all and hang in there.
    Last edited by EntreNous; 01-30-2011 at 07:14 PM.
    RiftRares ... A work in progress.
    Rogue on FaeBlight
    8/8 RR's ... 4/4 DH ... 4/4 GP ... 5/5 GsB ... 5/5 RoS ... 2/4 RotP ... 10/11 HK

As a new forum member and one who doesn't have a very deep knowledge of the lore yet please let me just say: The OP is a nitwit who doesn't represent all of the new people (and hopefully just a small minority of them) and with any luck he will go away and never return.

Troicheil
    I am sore wounded but not slain. I will lay me down and bleed a while and then rise up to fight again.

"As you've skipped over what I said there really isn't any point to adding anything to this, I've made my case and you've made...stupid I guess." TheHangman

The Lore is Really Bad...

I tend to agree. For me, I don't want to get really involved with the lore. I just want a central story that makes sense, and it doesn't make sense to me. 2 warring factions encounter a common, more deadly enemy and they DON'T join up to fight the common enemy and save their world from destruction before going to back to war with each other? WEAK.

Every time I see a Guardian invasion in Freemarch, I think to myself "Why are they bothering to invade us when we are busy fighting Telara's biggest enemy, Regulos!

Add some dang lore that says Regulos uses his power to flame the hatred each side has for the other, to keep them distracted from fighting his forces or something. Easy fix, but apparently no one is even trying to make this believable.

RIFT Fan Site Operator EntreNous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vaporman View Post

I tend to agree. For me, I don't want to get really involved with the lore. I just want a central story that makes sense, and it doesn't make sense to me. 2 warring factions encounter a common, more deadly enemy and they DON'T join up to fight the common enemy and save their world from destruction before going to back to war with each other? WEAK.

Every time I see a Guardian invasion in Freemarch, I think to myself "Why are they bothering to invade us when we are busy fighting Telara's biggest enemy, Regulos!

Add some dang lore that says Regulos uses his power to flame the hatred each side has for the other, to keep them distracted from fighting his forces or something. Easy fix, but apparently no one is even trying to make this believable.

Just a heads up ....
    You might have missed the fact that storyline/lore shows that there are eight factions working against each other in this game ... and not just two.
    I think prolly the dev team figured just having two would be to simplistic ... not so hard for most to grasp tho. So think of it as 8 and maybe it will all fit together for you better (???)
    Last edited by EntreNous; 01-30-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    RiftRares ... A work in progress.
    Rogue on FaeBlight
    8/8 RR's ... 4/4 DH ... 4/4 GP ... 5/5 GsB ... 5/5 RoS ... 2/4 RotP ... 10/11 HK

Plane Touched

It's... not really that hard to see why the Defiants and Guardians won't unite. The Defiants believe that their machines are the key to salvation, and the Guardians are fools for not using them. The Guardians believe that the machines will bring about destruction, and think the Defiants are fools for using them.

I don't know why it's so hard to believe that each side could work towards the same ultimate goal and still completely oppose each other. In America, both Republicans and Democrats say they work toward the betterment of their country, but how often do you see them at each other's throats?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaporman View Post

I respect your right to that opinion, seeing as how you can actually string sentences together into well-made statements..unlike some of the above.

To answer the question of why 2 factions would keep fighting each other faced with the possibility of world destruction, just equate it to the modern society in our own world. We tend to do the same thing, despite all evidence that it's idiotic to do so. We stockpile weapons that could change the very face of the planet, all in the name of keeping ourselves 'safe'. Some people attach bombs to their bodies in the belief they will go to nirvana if they blow up a few people on a bus and make a statement. Does that really make sense to you? I know it does to them, since they take their own lives in the process. Also, I don't see a ton of countries electing nation-wide birth control for population control, even though we are all being told we take up too many resources and are polluting mother earth to our own detriment.

So I can definetaly see why there is conflict, even when it doesn't make 'sense' to others looking from the outside of the situation. Besides, it's a story of fantasy. The lore is a backdrop to flavor the world and drive action. Fantasy and science fiction ask us to suspend our disbelief and ask 'what if'. It may not always make sense, but it is supposed to make fun.
    Last edited by Isadore; 01-30-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Shadowlander

I read the lore described on the official website, and was underwhelmed. Sorry, but the base story concept is derivative and unoriginal. I've literally seen dozens of variants of the same. And again with the elves and dwarves... Why not stop ripping off Tolkien and take some other supernatural / mythic critters, like Indian Rakshasas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakshasa) or Japanese Kitsune (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune), it's not like the human race hasn't invented tons of interesting mythical races that could be adapted and used.

/shrug

Linna

Quote Originally Posted by Broom View Post
    I read the lore described on the official website, and was underwhelmed. Sorry, but the base story concept is derivative and unoriginal. I've literally seen dozens of variants of the same. And again with the elves and dwarves... Why not stop ripping off Tolkien and take some other supernatural / mythic critters, like Indian Rakshasas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakshasa) or Japanese Kitsune (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune), it's not like the human race hasn't invented tons of interesting mythical races that could be adapted and used.

/shrug

Linna
    you know tolkein didnt invent elves and dwarves right?
    elves dwarves and human are generally all around sword/magical fantasy stuff because it makes sense to the vast majority of people that will play the game

Faa
    Soulwalker

Why would you add Japanese Kitsune's in a WESTERN mmo? Western people tent to like things they are familiar with. I can't get enough of elves and dwarves and western high fantasy ^^. Eastern fantasy is fine, but it should also be in an more eastern styled mmo. It would be kinda weird to see a LOTRO setting, with chinese and japanese mythology in it. But that's maybe just me

I like the lore alot. It's not really good and evil, but more faith vs science/machines. Obviously it's not hard to figure out why they dont work together. You could argue that it's better to put your differences aside and work together and it is,but that's not even possibl in RL and the real world atm. So it's not so hard that it wouldn't be that way in the game.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast