+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question about Lore

RIFT Guide Writer Sinfullysweet's Avatar

Default Question about Lore

Reading as much as I can to understand it all. *that and really want to try roleplaying but scared I will screw up*.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong about my understanding. The Dragon gods are evil, and the Vigil is good. Dragons are hellbent on destroying the other planes, to which the Vigil is trying to prevent. Guardians try to secure the blessing of the vigil and use the Vigil to aide them and feel that the Defiants should be exterminated for blasphemy. Defiant's are more "screw the gods, they didn't help in our hour of need, so doing it on our own."

So you have the Evil: Dragon Gods
    The good: Vigil
    The righteous religion followers: Guardians
    And the defiant independents: Defiants

So in reality, Guardians and Defiants are not evil nor good, but misunderstand each others cause?

(still can't get over the extracting of Guardian souls in the beginning of the Defiant area, but I know Guardians viewed Defiants as KOS.)

Sinfullysweet of Grievance on Wolfsbane
    PLAY ~*~Twitter ~*~ Raptr ~*~ Sinfullysweet's Steam ~*~ Sin's Xbox Profile
    WorldofWardrobes.net is no longer available due to hosting issues *RIP*.

Exactly. And as for the extracting...

The Defiants and Guardians both have a dark side to them. For the Guardians, it's myopic zealotry. For the Defiants, it's an "ends justify the means" concept that pervades their ideology.

Thus you have the Guardian ascended being harvested in the second room of the Defiant starting area. (Watch the guys in the prison for a while.) The Defiants believe that lesser evils are needed to save the world from Regulos.
    Last edited by Selgin; 01-30-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Ahh, but the game isn't the problem. The problem is that someone who can neither write nor think is inexplicably unhappy with something.

RIFT Guide Writer Sinfullysweet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Selgin View Post
    Exactly. And as for the extracting...

The Defiants and Guardians both have a dark side to them. For the Guardians, it's myopic zealotry. For the Defiants, it's an "ends justify the means" concept that pervades their ideology.

Thus you have the Guardian ascended being harvested in the second room of the Defiant starting area. (Watch the guys in the prison for a while.) The Defiants believe that lesser evils are needed to save the world from Regulos.
    Thank you! I am reading as much as I can because this story just fascinates me. I can't say, that I wasn't horrified at the opening in the defiant area. I had a friend tell me to watch it all the way through, and I did. But can understand, the way they are thinking, small sacrifices to ensure success. Same with the guardians, they feel that Defiants are the cause of everything and must wipe them out.

Mind is blown though, what made the defiants want to eliminate guardians? Just because their machines were destroyed, or the fact guardians made the first move to destoy them?

Sinfullysweet of Grievance on Wolfsbane
    PLAY ~*~Twitter ~*~ Raptr ~*~ Sinfullysweet's Steam ~*~ Sin's Xbox Profile
    WorldofWardrobes.net is no longer available due to hosting issues *RIP*.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfullysweet View Post
    Thank you! I am reading as much as I can because this story just fascinates me. I can't say, that I wasn't horrified at the opening in the defiant area. I had a friend tell me to watch it all the way through, and I did. But can understand, the way they are thinking, small sacrifices to ensure success. Same with the guardians, they feel that Defiants are the cause of everything and must wipe them out.

Mind is blown though, what made the defiants want to eliminate guardians? Just because their machines were destroyed, or the fact guardians made the first move to destoy them?

Both, and also because they view the Guardians as too weak to save Telara.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Ahh, but the game isn't the problem. The problem is that someone who can neither write nor think is inexplicably unhappy with something.

RIFT Fan Site Operator EntreNous's Avatar

As you read more keep this in mind ...

Dragons are hellbent on destroying the other planes
    Your line should read as ... Dragons are from the planes and are hellbent on destroying Telara

The dragons are from the planes ... one from each. Example: Regulos from the Plane of Death.
    There's more to read about on the PLANES pages, so I won't spoil it ... goodluck!
    Last edited by EntreNous; 01-30-2011 at 04:36 PM.
    RiftRares ... A work in progress.
    Rogue on FaeBlight
    8/8 RR's ... 4/4 DH ... 4/4 GP ... 5/5 GsB ... 5/5 RoS ... 2/4 RotP ... 10/11 HK

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfullysweet View Post

It's not about Defiants wanting to "eliminate" Guardians but at the core it is a fight about "resources", first and foremost sourcestone which the Guardians consider "holy matter" and essential to reinforce the ward, whereas the Defiants use it to power their magitech.

The Guardians will actively try to hunt down any abuse (or whatever you want to call it in their view) of sourcestone, committed by Defiants, Dragoncults or whomever, and try to secure it for their ends. From the Defiant view point, who just want to do their thing, this makes the Guardians the aggressors. Of course the Defiants will take action any time they can to get their hands on more sourcestone, which also means preventing guardians from getting there first (think of preemptive strikes).

+ Reply to Thread