+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Face Markings - What do they represent?

Shadowlander

Default Face Markings - What do they represent?

So, been playing through 2 beta events now, and enjoyed the second one on the RP-PvP server which is where I'll be heading once the real game is released.

Now, tell me.

What exactly do the markings that all races have avaliable to choose from? Do they represent different things? They seem sort of of odd to "just" be tatoos.

Anyone got an idea and dare to share it, I'd be thankfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompemon View Post
    So, been playing through 2 beta events now, and enjoyed the second one on the RP-PvP server which is where I'll be heading once the real game is released.

Now, tell me.

What exactly do the markings that all races have avaliable to choose from? Do they represent different things? They seem sort of of odd to "just" be tatoos.

Anyone got an idea and dare to share it, I'd be thankfull.
    They are simply cosmetics, I very much doubt that Trion even has implemented nor even designed any backstory or lore for them. If bychance they do represent something, clearly we won't have any information as of this very moment. Unless Trion decided to write a story "WITH" the tattoos being described as.

-Orb

RIFT Fan Site Operator EntreNous's Avatar

Great questions Pomp ... lets see if there's any info out there ...

Quote Originally Posted by Orbulis View Post
    They are simply cosmetics, I very much doubt that Trion even has implemented nor even
    designed any backstory or lore for them. If bychance they do represent something, clearly we won't have any
    information as of this very moment. Unless Trion decided to write a story "WITH" the tattoos being described
    as.-Orb
    These tatoos are definately NOT simple cosmetics, atleast for the Bahmi. They mean much more then just having
    ink on your skin for looks. Never doubt what the lore team does as they are gods when it comes to this game.
    Don't you just love lore driven games? I know I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompemon View Post
    So, been playing through 2 beta events now, and enjoyed the second one on the RP-PvP
    server which is where I'll be heading once the real game is released.
    Now, tell me.
    What exactly do the markings that all races have avaliable to choose from? Do they represent different things?
    They seem sort of of odd to "just" be tatoos. Anyone got an idea and dare to share it, I'd be thankfull.

Here's some info about the Bahmi Tatoos .. Hope this helps you out.

Here's what we learn from the main website ...
    "The Bahmi cover themselves in very intricate and magical tattoos called "sefir". The application of sefir is
    all that remains of the Bahmi's elemental heritage, and they recognize great accomplishments in a Bahmi's life.
    The tattoos recount the personal histories of each Bahmi, while also providing a sizable source of imbued
    elemental power."

Here's what we learn from Rahn Chuluun (npc in Last Light)...
    "The serfir tattoos on our skin remind us of our connection to our ancestors, and the great power of fighting
    beside them bestows to us."

Here's what we know about Asha Catari's tatoo's ..

From Asha ...
    "I died, but I was brought back by the original Resurrection machines. Beyond death, I confronted Regulos. He asked me to be his avatar. I refused. These markings are the result of the terrible power he burned into me; a power I am at least able to use now to fight back against the bastard.

From RIFT ...
    "Physically, Asha had changed, covered in glyphs of power that flared up on her skin."

Check back often, as the other Lore Geeks will have added more from what they found!
    Last edited by EntreNous; 01-30-2011 at 10:27 AM.
    RiftRares ... A work in progress.
    Rogue on FaeBlight
    8/8 RR's ... 4/4 DH ... 4/4 GP ... 5/5 GsB ... 5/5 RoS ... 2/4 RotP ... 10/11 HK

Shadowlander

I was hoping they were going to represent something kewl.

Thank you very much for the reply!

Hoping someone will get more details of this, especailly on what the "facial tatoos" of the Guardian side races could possibly mean.

From the guardians side I haven't seen anything about the marking but taking a que from History and Real Life the Wodes on the faces usually symbolize an aspect of the persons life or the tribe they came from....Feel free to correct me if I am wrong..

Now for me each tattoo I have represents a specific point in my life and a Milestone for me

I get the impression that the meaning of any particular marking is the product of personal (or perhaps familial) symbolism. That's how it tends to work in other settings that use them, anyway, and the sheer variety of patterns and placements among races make me think there's no perceived function to them necessarily.

When I rolled a male Mathosian, I gave him some fairly weak facial features (small chin and nose) and paired that with the markings that run along the cheekbones. In my mind it's an attempt (mostly cosmetic but maybe symbolic) to make him more macho. I thought it was funny.

Great find there from EntreNous, community and excellence are two of the cornerstones of Bahmi society. So its natural that the tattoos represent ancestry and achievements.

"Originally Posted by Myrdynn
    if you cant afford $10 a month for access to everything in the game , then you truly have many more things you need to do with your time, like collect cans, or even get a job. Hell mowing 2 lawns a month can pay for RIFT"

Yeah get out there and mow those lawns you layabouts. Then you can play Rift

Telaran

I plan for my character's tattoos to be runic to a degree. Whether functional or not, when she was very young, her mother decided to have a ward placed upon her face to shield her from evil.

My character is Mathosian
    Last edited by Sariella; 01-31-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Sariella View Post
    I plan for my character's tattoos to be runic to a degree. Whether functional or not, when she was very young, her mother decided to have a ward placed upon her face to shield her from evil.

My character is Mathosian
    That's a pretty cool idea, really.

Question

Very interesting!

I wonder what the Kelari markings mean? They look more like a form of face paint than a tattoo. I hope we get some background on their meaning eventually.

I was interested in the Eth markings, many of them seem to be on the back of the neck. It makes me wonder if they think this part of the body is especially important due to some historical belief.
    System: Asus G73Sw Laptop, Processor: Intel Core i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz (4 CPUs) Memory: 8192MB RAM. Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460M 4063 MB Memory. Direct X 11. OS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Administrator for Riftrp.Net, the official affiliated Roleplay forum

I talked to an npc on the defiant side in the newbie area and chose the option to ask him about his markings on his face. He said that they were carved into him by Regulos's power or something to that effect.

You see! I knew those Defiant types were up to something! They already have Regulos cheer leaders!

I have another thread asking how do those NPC's all know we're Ascendant, as in "I see you are Ascendant" and "Thank the Vigil, an Ascendant" etc.

I'm now wondering if our small glyphs are the same as Catari's where her's are a larger scale covering more of her body. Perhaps that's how the NPC's can identify us, the glyphs, and are symbols that we draw from that power.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by defafnyr View Post
    I have another thread asking how do those NPC's all know we're Ascendant, as in "I see you are Ascendant" and "Thank the Vigil, an Ascendant" etc..
    I found that they usually look into your eyes before making such a claim. I guess Ascended have a sort of... aura.
    Sindran Sathos, Marshal of the Order of Ardenburgh

Rift Roleyplayers - unofficial home of Rift roleplay!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast