+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The IceWatch

Ascendant

Default The IceWatch

Hi,
    I have a question! (surprise surprise!)

I was reading the ice watch information given by the Lord Protector, and I get the feeling he is not at all happy to see Guardians. I feel that it is just he didn't want guardians pulling away his dedicated soldiers, but has anyone come across a different reason? Would he be happy to have Guardians come and work for the Ice Watch, as long as that is where their focus was?

My more important question is how far back did this feeling of distrust go? I know guardians weren't really "guardians" until around the time of Port Scion, so very recent in terms of when you begin as a level 1 in Silverwood. Did the lord protector feel the same way about the people who were following Cyril, before they really fell out from Orphiel and each went their separate ways? Did he feel the same way about the people going off to fight in the shade war? Both of these would also have pulled soldiers away from the guarding of Crucia so I believe he may have... but I don't know if he just distrusts them now, as a recent development, or was it all along.

The way I read it is that IPP was a very isolated place before the fall of port scion, and the Lord Protector more or less ignored the comings and goings of the rest of Telara. As long as he got supplies from the other zones, he was happy.

After the fall of Port Scion, people of certain races within the Icewatch rallied to the call of their side's banner. The fall of Port Scion was disruptive to the peace of IPP. Trading ceased, and he had to send people south to attempt to find out what had happened and how he could get his own guards back. To add to this, rifts are opening in IPP, and he is now worried that the planes have come to free crucia from her prison.

In a way, the arrival of the ascended is a blessed relief, whether they be Guardian or Defiant. He honestly doesnt care as long they dont fight on his lands, and are there to help him. He has enough on his hands with out the Guardians and Defiants fighting amongst each other. For this reason, he has managed to get some to go neutral, and thats where the neutral camps come in. A safe haven for both sides.

Effectively, IPP is a neutral zone. The 2 Guardian and Defiant camps are only there by negotiation and treaty, and the Lord Protector will kick them out at the slightest sign of trouble.

His view is that once you are in IPP, whether you are Defiant or Guardian is immaterial. This is his land and, and as long as you are in it, you will be fighting the planes for him. Not the faction you happen to belong to.
    Last edited by Bonzodog; 06-16-2014 at 02:25 AM.
    Zaviel - Tylia - Planar Legion

Good stuff here.

Yeah, the Icewatch may associate more with Guardian races overall, they just don't feel an automatic attachment to the Guardians themselves. They live in a relatively isolated area, with their own goal, and the Guardians never focused on protecting them in the first place anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Good stuff here.

Yeah, the Icewatch may associate more with Guardian races overall, they just don't feel an automatic attachment to the Guardians themselves. They live in a relatively isolated area, with their own goal, and the Guardians never focused on protecting them in the first place anyway.
    \

Interesting. I did not know this at all

Quote Originally Posted by Enshu View Post
    \

Interesting. I did not know this at all
    Basically this: http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Night%27s_Watch

Made more primarily of Mathosians demographically (like the Night's Watch is of people of the North), but is its own organization with a specific oath.

Ascendant

ah ok. so my character then could very likely have gone from being a member of the Ice Watch to going to fight on the side of Prince Zaphir (correct spelling, I don't remember), become ascended and then rejoined the Ice Watch when she returned from the battle. I am not RP'ing her as on who went away for 20 years. I wonder if the lord protector would have ushered her away in peace and good graces to fight the shade war, and welcomed her back the same, or if there was a little bad blood there. I need to get my hand on the Ice Watch Oath to see if desertion to fight another's war would be a bad thing.

In terms of more recently, by the way the Lore Protector was speaking it didn't want anything to do with Guardians... but that must have been a "hey look, we've got our own problems here... if you want to stay and help that's great but we can't spare anyone to fight in your guardian/defiant war... and oh by the way, there are defiant among the ice watch... if you have a problem with that, check it at the door or leave.". (hehe.. updated for ease of my understanding, but I like the way he speaks)
    Last edited by Milyssa; 06-20-2014 at 05:23 AM.

I myself have my Kelari character as a former committed member of the Icewatch, killed in IPP by Abyssal invaders after the fall of Port Scion. Resurrected by Sylver and his machines, and still committed as ever to the Icewatch and all that it stands for. I have read as much of the IPP lore as I could get my hands on, including the books.
    Zaviel - Tylia - Planar Legion

+ Reply to Thread