+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Empyrean Technology VS Sourcestone Technology

  1. #1
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default Empyrean Technology VS Sourcestone Technology

    I had been pondering the question of whether Empyrean tech or Sourcestone tech was stronger.

    I have heard in game debates where people who argue for Sourcestone being stronger would point to it having a "stronger yield" and the fact that if it was not the stronger of the two, then the Dragons would not be bothering with Telara in the first place as Empyrean energy is readily available as latent planar energy. (Comparisons between nuclear power (sourcestone) and solar power (empyrean))

    Proponents for Empyrean technology being the stronger of the two point to in game references in quest text and NPC chatter. The most notable claim was that during the "Eureka!" questline in Tuldio Retreat, when you replace a Faestone Core with an Empyrean Core on a Defiant life machine, the wounded soldier claims he felt stronger than he did when it healed him with a Faestone core. When I went to see this questline for myself, there was no mention of it being "stronger; the NPC only said it was safer due to a lack of instability from the empyrean core. Advocates for this position also point to the Eth only using Sourcestone tech because the Ward prevented them from using Empyrean devices.

    Does anyone have any input on this? I have a dimension project that would be directly affected by the verdict of which form provides higher yields, and I'm also generally curious from a lore standpoint.

  2. #2
    Rift Master IonCannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    688

    Default

    In terms of sheer destructive power. Sourcestone broke the impenetrable ward of the gods and destroyed half the Eth empire(or more)... Empyrean Tech can create the Frozen Tempest and Sun Orb. Based on what we've seen I got to give it up to sourcestone.
    Last edited by IonCannon; 04-17-2014 at 10:53 AM.

    IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

  3. #3
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    From what I've gathered, Sourcestrone Technology is more outright powerful.

    But it's not more *useful*. Augmenting magitech with Empyrean materials will make it more effective overall, but it will not breach certain boundaries.

    One could, for example, use Empyrean tech to transform themselves into quite the demigod, but not *quite* an Ascended.

    Sourcestone is more powerful and versitile.

    Empyrean is more stable and convienient.

    Empyrean civilization has had many 1000s of years to develop their tech, whereas Sourcestone civilization (mostly Eth and Defiant) is more into the 100s. Sourcestone still has the most promise, but gaining Empyrean augmentation means that the Defiant can develop along tech lines that doesn't necessarily infuriate the Guardians.

  4. #4
    Ascendant Maeloda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    7,617

    Default

    A Faestone Core would be something found with Life energy inside it. It's not really sourcestone.

    Replacing it with a likely more refined Empyrean (meaning 'Heavenly Fire/Light') Core is quite an upgrade. Replacing it with a Sourcestone Core would probably do more miraculous feats, but be much more unstable about what would actually happen.

    Look at it this way:
    -Sourcestone --> All aspects of creation
    -Empyrean --> The lighter reflections of creation

    So of course Empyrean would be more helpful to a civilization. It just lacks the outright power that sourcestone may still provide. Chances are that we'll be using mostly Empyrean tech from now on, with occasional cases where Sourcestone is called upon.
    At the very least, Defiants won't be mining the hell out of Telara for sourcestone, at least as much. That immediately decreases faction animosity.

  5. #5
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    A Faestone Core would be something found with Life energy inside it. It's not really sourcestone.
    During the quest, I was told specifically to replace the "sourcestone cores" of various devices and machines around Tuldio Retreat. Each of the cores had different surnames instead of "source", such as "Fae". They were all types of sourcestone cores with the base component being sourcestone perhaps infused with other planar energies.

  6. #6
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    In terms of sheer destructive power. Sourcestone broke the impenetrable ward of the gods and destroyed half the Eth empire(or more)... Empyrean Tech can create the Frozen Tempest and Sun Orb. Based on what we've seen I got to give it up to sourcestone.
    When did sourcestone break the ward and what would that have to do with Convocation? I don't recall the Convocation having anything to do with piercing the ward.

    I'm not familiar with Frozen Tempest, but the Sun Orb seems remarkably powerful in its own right. What makes you say Sourcestone is stronger?

  7. #7
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Though I would love to get into the geeky physics of this, we must work with only what we have being it's a fictional world (though some people seem to forget that now and again ).

    So, Sourcestone wins.

    The Sourcestone Cores ie: Faestone etc probably refer to the concentration of planar energies indigenous to their respective elements.
    Last edited by ilex011; 04-17-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: a wizard did it
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

  8. #8
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    From what I've gathered, Sourcestrone Technology is more outright powerful.

    But it's not more *useful*. Augmenting magitech with Empyrean materials will make it more effective overall, but it will not breach certain boundaries.

    Could you give me the evidence you've based these theories on? I want to make sure the backing for what I'd ascribe to is firm.

    What has shown you that Sourcestone is outright more powerful?

    What properties does Empyrean technology have that makes it more effective at augmenting magitech, and what allows it to not breach certain boundaries?

  9. #9
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Replacing it with a likely more refined Empyrean (meaning 'Heavenly Fire/Light') Core is quite an upgrade. Replacing it with a Sourcestone Core would probably do more miraculous feats, but be much more unstable about what would actually happen.

    Look at it this way:
    -Sourcestone --> All aspects of creation
    -Empyrean --> The lighter reflections of creation
    *points up*

    That's why it would be more powerful. Not just because it's inherently more chaotic and volatile, but that adds to it.
    Last edited by ilex011; 04-17-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

  10. #10
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post

    So, Sourcestone wins.

    My question is what makes you think that? I want to see what the in game evidence is, if there is any.

  11. #11
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    *points up*

    That's why it would be more powerful. Not just because it's inherently more chaotic and volatile, but that adds to it.
    How is it adding to it?

    When the life machine had a faestone core, during the quest, it mutated a soldier into some life irradiated mutant that I had to kill. Yet, I was replacing it with an empyrean core.

  12. #12
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silvox View Post
    My question is what makes you think that? I want to see what the in game evidence is, if there is any.
    Well, Defiants bodies are made from the stuff, it breached the Ward, eradicated the Eth empires, the Dragons can't wait to tear up Telara to get to it; it's a concentration of energy. Sure, Empyrean power is strong in its own right, but comparing strengths to me anyway would be akin to comparing a starhopper telescope to the Very Large Array.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

  13. #13
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silvox View Post
    How is it adding to it?

    When the life machine had a faestone core, during the quest, it mutated a soldier into some life irradiated mutant that I had to kill. Yet, I was replacing it with an empyrean core.
    I meant in the fact that in this case the volatile, chaotic nature of sourcestone energy can be quite dangerous (Defiant tech does unexpectedly go kaboom now and again) due to the variable of unpredictability. Which is not to say that that *means* it's necessarily more powerful by that alone, in of itself.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

  14. #14
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    I meant in the fact that in this case the volatile, chaotic nature of sourcestone energy can be quite dangerous (Defiant tech does unexpectedly go kaboom now and again) due to the variable of unpredictability. Which is not to say that that *means* it's necessarily more powerful by that alone, in of itself.
    Well, that is the question I'm trying to answer. Solely from a raw yield perspective, not considering volatility of the material or versatility of it's use, which one is more powerful?

  15. #15
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    Well, Defiants bodies are made from the stuff, it breached the Ward, eradicated the Eth empires, the Dragons can't wait to tear up Telara to get to it; it's a concentration of energy. Sure, Empyrean power is strong in its own right, but comparing strengths to me anyway would be akin to comparing a starhopper telescope to the Very Large Array.
    I've had people note that the Empyrean Core, when in danger of overheating, was at risk to level all of Brevane. One had also said that when Crucia was warring against the Eth (I think it was them), she had armies running on Empyrean technology. How would this be explained?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts