+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jonus

Thread: CQ Lore

Plane Touched

Default CQ Lore

Before we even start getting into "CQ sucks blah blah"
    I have a question. I noticed in reading the Liberator's lore, the little short excerpt about the Bhami... they mention the Oathsworn army.

This leads to an important question. I have seen the three armies mentioned in a few quests mostly in the sandcastle game, in Dendrome (or was it Ashora...). Or somewhere. Being that it is mentioned here, the CQ organizers INSIDE the CQ realm talk about "this realm" and it appears as if CQ is in a sliver.

So that being said, where do the oathsworn, nightfall, and dominion fall into play, lorewise? Who are they, where are they from? (I know what their armies stand for). Who leads them? Where do they come from? (and I am not refering to what game were the names taken from.)

As I have not found any information IN game regarding this, I was hoping some other players could shed some light, quote sources/link them. As a Defiant, are there some quests Guardian side that explain this? How do they link to OUR Telara?

And correct me if I am wrong but, CQ "exists" in a Sliver, if I understand right?

There's not much explanation on the CQ factions other than the descriptions in the PVP menu.

The Liberator lore may be a hint that they are expanding this concept of various factions of ascended fighting one another, but given it's light hearted mood, it's most likely just the writer having fun with conquest while also dropping hints at a future CQ map and locations in the expansion.

It's quite possible the factions will show up in PvE, but they haven't yet.

Though there haven't been any lore regarding leaders, these factions are ascended from multiple dimensions that gather and form groups to fight for resources...It's pretty flimsy. lol

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    There's not much explanation on the CQ factions other than the descriptions in the PVP menu.

The Liberator lore may be a hint that they are expanding this concept of various factions of ascended fighting one another, but given it's light hearted mood, it's most likely just the writer having fun with conquest while also dropping hints at a future CQ map and locations in the expansion.

It's quite possible the factions will show up in PvE, but they haven't yet.

Though there haven't been any lore regarding leaders, these factions are ascended from multiple dimensions that gather and form groups to fight for resources...It's pretty flimsy. lol
    Ok so I haven't missed any info yet. But that makes sense. I do love that Trion integrates game play with their lore. It makes the game more believable as opposed to just straight story telling.

Even if CQ is just considered a "blood sport" it would be interesting to see it integrated into the story more.
    Last edited by darkzerofury; 03-09-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkzerofury View Post
    Before we even start getting into "CQ sucks blah blah"
    I have a question. I noticed in reading the Liberator's lore, the little short excerpt about the Bhami... they mention the Oathsworn army.

This leads to an important question. I have seen the three armies mentioned in a few quests mostly in the sandcastle game, in Dendrome (or was it Ashora...). Or somewhere. Being that it is mentioned here, the CQ organizers INSIDE the CQ realm talk about "this realm" and it appears as if CQ is in a sliver.

So that being said, where do the oathsworn, nightfall, and dominion fall into play, lorewise? Who are they, where are they from? (I know what their armies stand for). Who leads them? Where do they come from? (and I am not refering to what game were the names taken from.)

As I have not found any information IN game regarding this, I was hoping some other players could shed some light, quote sources/link them. As a Defiant, are there some quests Guardian side that explain this? How do they link to OUR Telara?

And correct me if I am wrong but, CQ "exists" in a Sliver, if I understand right?
    quoted for emphasis

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by micshaz View Post
    quoted for emphasis
    Emphasis on...?
    Please, if you're going to try to look like a smart *** actually do something noteworthy. *shakes head*. Troll.

The Representatives in Sanctum (and probably Meridian as well) have a bit of lore behind them.

Attachment 17506

There's also the brief lore from CQ tooltip as you mentioned:

Attachment 17507

The basic idea is that these there factions are groups of Ascended from a variety of different alternate realities.

Nightfall - They want to 'transcend further' before all Slivers of Telara are destroyed (i.e. all alternate realities). They seek to abandon 'Telara' and instead go forth to other worlds/Planes.

Oathsworn - Oathsworn look to protect Telara.

Dominion - They seek to rule over Telara and create an empire spanning multiple alternate realities in order to co-ordinate and once-and-for-all defeat the enemies of Telara.

---

Each brief lore points to the idea that the Conquest factions are made up of Ascended from various realities - i.e. Dominion isn't just Ascended from one alternate reality - but Ascended from multiple realities that have banded together in the belief that they should create an empire to rule over Telara.

The Dominion lore also mentions that "Each Sliver is connected, each outcome uncertain". So it is just confirming what the Sliver raids are - alternate realities that we go to, to fight Planar mobs that have overtaken other realities and prevent them from coming to our own reality to take it over.

From the Nightfall lore, it seems as though the Ascended from all alternate realities (that haven't yet been overrun by the Planes) are currently fighting both the Planar mobs as well as themselves over ideological differences.

The Nightfall lore also mentions "which reality will be ravaged by conquest next?". So this seems to indicate that each 'Conquest match' is held in a different, separate reality from the previous one. If Dominion wins in Reality A, they 'win' that reality and the Ascended in that reality follow the ideology of the Dominion. The next Conquest is then held in a different reality and the winner of that match ends up with the Ascended of that reality following the ideology of the winning faction.

----

Just think of it like Guardians vs Defiants. Except now it's not a matter of difference over Gods vs Machines/Technology - now it's a difference over whether to abandon Telara, protect Telara or rule Telara - and it spans multiple realities rather than simply our own.

It sounds as though each Conquest match is held in a different reality so that one by one the realities are being "ravaged by conquest".

So, just like when the Guardians and Defiants were fighting and killing each other whilst a more powerful threat (the Blood Storm) were devouring them; now it's on a cosmic scale with Ascended from multiple realities fighting each other over 3 primary ideologies and differences of opinion as to how to deal with the threat of the Planes (run away, defend Telara, rule Telara).
    Last edited by Jonus; 03-10-2014 at 01:11 AM.

Everyone has said most of the stuff but I'll say some stuff too.

"So that being said, where do the oathsworn, nightfall, and dominion fall into play, lorewise?"
    Currently, not much.

Classic Rift - Hey, slivers exist! Other timelines exist!
    Patch Classic Rift - Whoh, these Conquest faction reps have suddenly arrived and want our help!
    Storm Legion Rift - Hmmm, it looks like the Guardian/Defiant barriers are being dissolved, but what will take its place as we head into the planes and possibly other timelines?

So right now we don't have much, but with the direction of things, it's very possible that the upcoming story will integrate Conquest factions much more into the lore.

"Who are they, where are they from? (I know what their armies stand for). Who leads them?"
    They come from alternate versions of the universe, other timelines, which interact with our own (and vice versa) via 'slivers'. Slivers are kind of like contained dimensional/time-travel where we affect other timelines through more limited ways.

Now, slivers themselves are not a new thing in Rift. The launch of Rift had:
    -Terminus, an alternate future that can now be considered a sliver (just with a failsafe device that connects it more directly to our own world). It's at least possible that 'other players' (outside first person POV for questing) also come from other Terminus futures of their own, but I'm not sure.
    -The Fall of Lantern Hook dungeon has us interacting with a mystical well that will take us to a 'vision' (aka sliver) of the Droughtlands

We don't know who leads them - just that at some point, the Ascended start breaking into these factions and take their warfare not just across their own Telaras, or across the various Planes, but even into the whole other universes that exist. At this point, something formed them into the Dominion, Oathsworn, Nightfall factions that orient more about the Ascended's philosophical positions than them allying with more mortal-related factions (Guardian and Defiant).

All 3 factions work with Guardian/Defiant positions in some way. I'd say that Oathsworn would work a little better with Guardians and Nightfall would work a little better with Defiants, but given the racial histories, Dominion would work equally well with both.

"Where do they come from? (and I am not refering to what game were the names taken from.)"
    A cosmic interaction between:
    -the past
    -the future
    -the present
    -all possible versions of each

The slivers are 'connected' with each other. We don't know exactly how, but we already see that one sliver can affect another, so in 'reality', all slivers are really just part of one larger 'world'. It's in this realm of reality that the Ascended come to wage battle on, but I think it's safe to assume that THIS realm (the one we play mostly in) is the most important and that our Ascended will kick the most ***

Oathsworn are the most down the earth. They simply want to save Telara from anything that threatens it. They harken more to the whole 'we will safe Telara' concept that most of the current game still consists of (especially Mathosia classic Rift). The Guardians came for a reason, given by the Vigil. The Defiants came for a reason, given by their 'future' resurrectors. they intend to stick to that plan - one that has brought success thus far - as they explore the Planes, cosmos, and other realms of reality.

Dominion are connected to the earth but wish to ascend above it. They want to help Telara through ruling it. They harken more to the ideas of empire (Eth, Mathosian, Brevanic, even Crucia?) that stood a long time even without Ascended, so *with* Ascended, how could we lose? Mortals need guidance, and they can give it that. They already saved Telara, so now's their chance to make it theirs. Guardians may find this appealing as it fits the older Mathosian ideas of empire. Defiants may find this appealing as it fits their original faction plans of starting an empire that will greatly surpass the Ethian one. They see the various slivers of reality and think that 'saving Telara' is a greater task than it first seemed, and it'll require a strong rule over the 'saved' areas to ensure that they continue to be safe.

Nightfall are the least concerned with the Telara they came from, and the most curious about exploring all that exists beyond it. They wish to research and understand the complexities of the universe - whether with the focus on purifying it, or just utilizing it for the sake of other goals - because there's no way of knowing exactly what to do unless you know about it. They see both Oathsworn and even Dominion as unnecessarily tethered to their Telaras, unable to understand that all realities are at stake and that even if one Telara is lost or saved, there are many more that have other fates, and that only as an army of Ascended can we transcend mortal confines and find solutions to what threatens Telara in the first place.

I admit I did some headcanon here

If you're the most attached to sticking on our Telara and ensuring its safety and the wellbeing of its denizens, even if it means having to enter other realities sometimes to make sure of it, then Oathsworn is most for you. Acquiring knowledge and power is second.

If you're the most attached to acquiring power for Ascended and helping Telara through that power, and entering other realities in order to acquire that power, then Dominion is most for you. Saving mortals and acquiring knowledge is second.

If you're the most attached to acquiring knowledge for Ascended which may provide the keys to understanding what really threatens all Telaras, and how to stop it, then Nightfall is most for you. Saving mortals and acquiring power is second.

Like the Guardian/Defiant divide, it is likely that without these factions in the first place, nothing would get done. The multiverse needs Oathsworn to ensure that other beings and lands are safe and alive, while the Dominion ensures that the Ascended enforce their position against external threats, and the Nightfall ensures that we're able to deal with enemies for good.

+ Reply to Thread