+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Runic Athenaeum - The Past & Hybrids <-- SPOILERS -->

Default Runic Athenaeum - The Past & Hybrids <-- SPOILERS -->

--- SPOILERS ---

So on the PTS there's a Runic Athenaeum area in Moonshade Highlands with quests about the past heroes that our souls are based on as well as other stuff.

The Past

Looks like we're doing a lot for a past timeline - Tier 3 Raids "Bindings of Blood" are based on us journeying to the past where we fight alongside the previous heroes to defeat the dragon gods; the Runic Athenaeum quests involves collecting info and watching past visions of the heroes; there's also a zone event in Moonshade Highlands with us helping the past heroes.

Looks like we'll be messing with our past - will they affect our present when we 'get back'? Who knows - although chances are the past timeline we go to is in a different reality to our own (because the Messenger of Fate mentions how Laethys has been defeated in multiple different realities already).

Para-Elementals

There's also the idea of Para-Elementals that the new repeatables at Runic Athenaeum hints at.

We already have the Planar Attunement hybrids: Nature, Cinder and Storm.

Now there's quests about discovering these possible new hybrids "Para-Elemental Hybrids".

Para-Elementals is used by Dungeons & Dragons. Here's what the wiki says:
    The para-elementals are the inhabitants of the para-elemental planes of Ice, Ooze, Magma, and Smoke, which lie between the major elemental planes of Earth, Air, Fire, and Water.

Paraelementals fuse two of the classic elements into a single dangerous creature.
    Now, the Planar Attunement of Storm is a combination of Water and Air.
    This makes me think of the final Arc of the Air Saga questchain where Crucia gets sucked into the Plane of Water by an Akylios-looking monster. Crucia = Air; Akylios = Water.

One of the books you read even has this nice passage:

Runic Athenaeum - The Past & Hybrids <-- SPOILERS -->-rusalkanbestiary.jpg

Very possible that we'll be seeing hybrid planar mobs - and perhaps there's even an actual Plane of Cinder, Plane of Nature and Plane of Storm.

The possibilities for tampering with our past and these Para-Elemental Hybrids to expand the lore is amazing and I look forward to seeing more info about these two topics.
    Last edited by Jonus; 02-28-2014 at 09:46 PM.

Yeah looks like while 3.0 expansion will deal with a Plane, we're already starting hints of other planes. Whether those places would just be limited instances/dungeons/raids, or whole zones (or more), is of course unknown so far.

I assume these planes don't intersect with Telara (or at least not very much), but instead would be new things we'd see in the Planes/expansion lands. Ideally, I'd want to see a new visual reflection of dynamic content (rifts or something like it) show them.

And honestly by now I'm sick of just 6 main rift types, so I'm taking anything I can get here haha. (Good part is that it wouldn't introduce more elements to complicate things, but instead involve 2 existing ones)

I wonder if Storm has more to do with Crucia than the Plane of Air itself.

I'm now imagining a story of Crucia going to Storm, becoming empowered by something, and enslaving the otherwise 'free willed/spirited' beings of Air, turning them into the army she brought to Telara.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    I assume these planes don't intersect with Telara (or at least not very much), but instead would be new things we'd see in the Planes/expansion lands. Ideally, I'd want to see a new visual reflection of dynamic content (rifts or something like it) show them.
    Entirely new models would be fantastic. Getting tired already of the existing models (although Storm Legion did introduce some nice new models; especially those shapers).

Not talking about mobs.

I mean:
    -Rift visuals
    -Footholds (and now Strongholds)
    -Onslaught setups
    -Types of sizes of Invasions
    -Other

But most primarily, I meant the types of rift visuals, which still now we only have 6 (one for each plane). Hunt Rifts add some variety in how they're set up, but we still have the same colors, the same music, the same textures, the same visual special effects.

So it'd be nice, just saying, to have something new there. Even if it's not even 'full' rifts, but some kinda visuals to dynamic content that reflect 3 new other realms.

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

You also get a nice background story on the first people to use "souls" and how they got named after them.

I wonder if we'll get to see some of the locations and battles talked about

Talos the Purifier:

Tyral the Elementalist:

Karine the Bard:

Estrael the Bladedancer:

Kushi the Saboteur:

Vachir the Champion:

Rasmolov the Void Knight:

Calliope the Tempest:

A few of the Souls like Warlock didn't seem to have any stories behind them, or else i slacked and forgot to take the screen shot

Anyhow you'll also come across plenty of Tomes to fill in lots of background stories and chars so looks like Heaven if you're a Lore hound
    Last edited by Slipmat; 03-01-2014 at 01:19 AM.

Yeah, I finished all the soul quests and, while extremely late, it's REALLY nice that they flesh out the backstory of the heroes of telara so well in the game.

The original quests in 1.0 for getting the souls didn't do much, but this explains it a lot more.
    There's no reward, not yet anyways, and it would be nice to be able to re-read/re-watch that lore somehow after completing it, but either way it's nice.

The dailies in that new area in Moonshade don't seem like anything special lore wise, but lots of hints to potential future content.
    The ones I did explained a new "breed" of plants, but seemed like an tsto throw some mobs and collectibles into the pathway for dailies.
    Seems more of a hint at the names of future crafting materials than leading to anything interesting. :P
    Though since it's stuck at level 15, I'm not sure how level 15 players are suppose to be able to get there, unless there will be a port quest in the capitals.

Some of the books you have to catalogue in a daily though do talk about that para and quasi-elemental magic/materials.
    They also state that the planes of Earth, Water and Death all overlap.
    However since it's never fully explained how planes actually work physically, it's hard to understand what this means. Do they physically overlap ontop of each other? Do they take up space in different planes of one reality but their energies seep into each other?
    Are they a "physical" thing or just a section of space where that energy is relegated to with some overlap in some areas? Who knows.

There's also some other interesting things like the mention of a race called "Moranan".
    Other than the name and that they get "marks" upon birth that can be used for good or bad things.
    It doesn't state where they are, or if they still exist.
    Natural ascended? Shi-Ming? lol Who knows.

There's also a book that talks about aerodynamics (GASP flying), but it doesn't seem to work. It deals with air elementals and the Veles Parallels.
    Seems to hint at possible plane teleportation or something. Maybe.

Interesting stuff though! I hope they add more dailies like this where you just run around and read lore.

Can't find loc for
    Runic Athenaeum
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

RIFT Community Ambassador Slipmat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    Can't find loc for
    Runic Athenaeum
    Go to where the arrow points on the map, just NE of Three Springs and cross the rope bridges.

Follow the tunnel underground but beware the level 15 mobs

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Go to where the arrow points on the map, just NE of Three Springs and cross the rope bridges.

Follow the tunnel underground but beware the level 15 mobs

Thanks Slip!
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Cool stuff... Although I hope they don't retcon to much making the lore it super unclear.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    Cool stuff... Although I hope they don't retcon to much making the lore it super unclear.
    Was the lore ever that clear to begin with? lol

There's so many holes it's not funny, and that's on top of the piles of unanswered questions and explanations. :P

The only thing they've retconed is some stuff from the comics, but that's it to m knowledge, everything in the game that HAS been explained seems solid enough.

As for the hybrid planar things, it seems that's what the new souls will be about.
    Where the souls we have now tend to revolve around one type of plane, if they do focus on a plane. The new ones seem to focus on two planes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonus View Post
    Entirely new models would be fantastic. Getting tired already of the existing models (although Storm Legion did introduce some nice new models; especially those shapers).
    If only more of these were implemented.

Those Volan and Storm Legion Soldier concepts...

Quote Originally Posted by hardy83 View Post
    Was the lore ever that clear to begin with? lol

There's so many holes it's not funny, and that's on top of the piles of unanswered questions and explanations. :P

The only thing they've retconed is some stuff from the comics, but that's it to m knowledge, everything in the game that HAS been explained seems solid enough.
    The lore has always been super unclear. This changes a little though since it doesn't take place in the past, the hero's of old are brought back the present. We are likely going to to raid there memories or dreams based on the current story line. I am not going to guess the story line but it seems the messenger of fate is trying to create allies among the dragons. Which could cause some continuity problems.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Earth, Water, and Death eh?

Guess that's the expansion in terms of high Rift/story volume maybe.

Was worried Death wouldn't visit again.

And I'd be surprised if Fire isn't involved in things given the recent emphasis. (Personal prediction: Lv 65+ patched in zone in Plane of Fire or something related)

Bye bye Air, unless you have something too!

And I don't think Life will be involved in much.. I think it's the Water/Fire(2.0) or Earth/Air(1.0) of 3.0.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast