+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pay to Undertand

Default Pay to Undertand

I have to say I am really disappointed that Trion has decided on a Pay 2 Understand system where lore is concerned. If buying the comic is necessary to understand the lore behind Telara I guess I will be one of those who cannot look at Rift as any kind of RPG because you can't Roleplay in a world whose lore is unknown and I won't buy a comic book series just to understand the lore. I don't participate in buy2compete games and this feels the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kula View Post
    I have to say I am really disappointed that Trion has decided on a Pay 2 Understand system where lore is concerned. If buying the comic is necessary to understand the lore behind Telara I guess I will be one of those who cannot look at Rift as any kind of RPG because you can't Roleplay in a world whose lore is unknown and I won't buy a comic book series just to understand the lore. I don't participate in buy2compete games and this feels the same.
    Considering the 'Tales of Telara' section only has one entry I would say they are a long way from having released all the information about the game, lore included.

I figure to learn along the way. If I'm paying, I'm playing
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9949&dateline=1285304  790

I am not sure who gave you that impression, but this is definitely not the case. The comic is just an added bonus for our lore lovers. The same with the story we release on the web. At no point do we assume you have read the comic.
    Lindsay Morgan Lockhart
    Lore Lead - Defiants
    Trion Worlds, Inc
    "I learned at a very young age that the world is full of people who are terrified by knowledge and the power it bestows to the individual. Freedom is to be seized by those with the courage to think for themselves." - Asha Catari

http://www.twitter.com/missdoomcookie

Thank you for responding, missdoomcookie. I was referring to this:

I'm seeing more and more why Trion decided to come out with a comic. You guys really need to read the first 2 issues as they answer some of the questions you are asking. Let me see if I can clear up what I have learned.

[B]The gods hand pick those who they consider the best of the best to bring back. Why would they limit themselves to three of the six playable races of Telara?[/B
    ] They didn't. But I think this is Trion's way of establishing specific races for each faction. According to the comic, the Vigil didn't pick the best of the best, but rather resurrected those who were already loyal to them. It stands to reason that since certain races did not believe in their sovereignty (or worshiped them), they saw them as unworthy of resurrection through their "divine" power.

The Defiant chose to pursue technology/magic (or Magitech more precisely) rather than follow the ethereal/spiritual nature that the Vigil believed in. If I recall correctly, I believe I read somewhere in the lore where the use of Magitech was actually forbidden by the Vigil. So in essence, the Defiant can be seen as betraying the Vigil for their desire to pursue Magitech. This is true, but it is much more than that. I can only surmise that after the Orphiel created a way to resurrect deceased Telarans from the ether, the Vigil took notice and made it even more of a point to not offer ascension to those races who were not loyal to them. Again the comic quickly explains the animosity that Orphiel and others feel towards the Vigil for abandoning them. Now that the Defiant have a way of bridging the ascension gap with technology, I assume the Vigil are none too pleased and are shunning any race associated with them, regardless of their individual beliefs. This sounds like a severe case of "one bad apple that spoils the bunch."

The comic seems to be positioning itself to be a clear picture of Telaran history--I suggest anyone interested in lore to read it.
    It led me to believe that much lore was available only in the comic series.
    Last edited by Kula; 10-03-2010 at 09:45 AM.

1. You do not have to buy the comics in order to understand the lore.
    2. You can read the comics online without paying.
    3. You can read the lore as it is published on the official website of Rift or on any of the fan sites.
    4. Now you can roleplay on the roleplaying server!

Here are some links so you don't have to buy the comics.

Telara Chronicles #0

Telara Chronicles #1

PS: the comic Telara Chronicles and other future for sale items are simply one biz method to have income. There are people who enjoy these type items and take a chance they will be worth something as a collector's item one day.

One is not required to purchase anything one does not want.

Thank you for responding, missdoomcookie. I was referring to this:

It led me to believe that much lore was available only in the comic series.
    Quote Originally Posted by missdoomcookie View Post
    I am not sure who gave you that impression, but this is definitely not the case. The comic is just an added bonus for our lore lovers. The same with the story we release on the web. At no point do we assume you have read the comic.
    I apologize if our discussion led you to believe that you had to pay for getting information on the lore. As missdoomcookie stated, the comic is a bonus for us lorehounds who love reading and interpreting story lines.

In saying that, I think it needs to be said that a point in releasing a comic IS to expand upon the lore in a manner than simply cannot be done through an online lore page. A sequential comic offers insight not just into lore, but character's actions through a series of events and different perspectives. It's one of the benefits of the graphic novel format: Allowing the story to be conveyed through the written word, while being enhanced by a visual medium. Aspects such as body language, facial expressions, and artistic depictions of events allows a person to gain a better understand of what is being said and how it is being communicated. While Trion could just have their writers upload every bit of story they created for this game onto the website, it would come off as nothing but a wall of text, that unfortunately few people would read.

This is what lorehounds like me do. Once we get access to multiple formats of the lore, we try and piece together a coherent string of events that allows us to enjoy the game even more. While the general story will obviously be available to anyone who plays the game, if you are looking for more insight into the backstory of Telara, then you will have to look a little farther and dig a little deeper. But that is part of the excitement and is a primary reason people like me discuss what we do.

So to comment on your original post, buying the comic is in no way necessary to understand the lore, BUT if you what you read in our threads interests you, then I suggest you buy the comics, as they are a good read to a fabulous story that I hope sees more issues.

Part of me feels like if there was a concern about not getting all of the lore, then you may be more of a lorehound than you realize. No shame in wanting to get knee-deep in the Soulstream that is your own imagination!
    Last edited by Geekcheck; 10-17-2010 at 01:30 PM.

Having previewed this comic I do see that there is an abundance of lore that we don't yet have access to, that being said I like using a median of character discovery to convey that information. I suddenly can not wait to meet Asha in game. I think that the idea is that we will be getting a lot of information before the release of the game in many different forms, If my local shop had this I would already have these items. I would also love to see a novel at my local Barnes & Nobles just to further the immersion of this game. Still, I would like some of the known lore to make it to the site as well, quicker the better.
    Family is Forever

Telaran

Just give me a sword and board and point me in the direction of things to kill: the lore will sort its way out in my path of destruction.

Looks like one of your questions is answered in a recent preview Kula.

***SPOILER??***

Guardians come from the Blood Shade War and are brought back by the Vigil. They are very destiny oriented as they truly have been chosen. They blame the Eth for the war in the first place, and causing this whole mess to begin with.

Defiant come from the future, the end of Telara. They are very self-determination oriented as they feel discarded and deemed worthless by the Vigil. They 'know' that the Guardians and the Vigil fail anyway, and want to take destiny in their own hands and reshape the future.

This is my understanding so far. Of course missdoomcookie *really* knows

The whole future thing is fascinating to me.

Oh sorry, to answer your question, I'm sure everything covered in the comics will be a part of our own game world, just not directly visited since.. it seems to be in the past (Port Scion times). That is all. Don't worry, I say.

Heck, I'd wager to say there will be a whole load of lore and creative content with the collectors edition (presuming there is one). But as missdoomcookie said it's "just an added bonus for our lore lovers". It is not a requirement to understand the world of Telara.
    We...are the chosen! We....are the Guardians.

+ Reply to Thread