+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie, got a few questions about "enemies"

Soulwalker

Default Newbie, got a few questions about "enemies"

So I've been playing Rift for two weeks and just dinged 50 today. I'm having a blast; Rift seems to be a very solid game with a ton of content, and despite having heard a common complaint of the game being too "generic" and "typical fantasy" since Rift's launch, I find that at least a lot of the encounters/designs are really cool. I particularly like the liberal designs of the dragon gods, with Regulos, Crucia (who seems to have feathers and robot wings!), Laethys and Akylios (tentacles!) not really looking like dragons at all. Even Greenscale, with his sleepy Chameleon eyes looks awesome and unique. I checked a few of these encounters out on youtube to get a feel for the game - really hope I'll get a chance to do them sometime even if the content is outdated by now.

That said, even though I've mostly quested and tried to do every dungeon while leveling rather than doing IAs, I find that most of the lore of the game has passed me by. For instance; while questing I've seen a type of mob called "drakes", though these seem to be just "animals" or bosses in Death rifts, but neither in dungeons or quests or what little I've seen of raids, have I seen actual dragons other than the Bloodstorm gods. Are there "normal dragons" in Rifts?

More importantly, I'm pretty confused regarding what enemies there are that remain for future content, considering that every dragon god other than Crucia is apparently already dead in the lore. Just about every enemy I've seen so far seem to be aligned with the Rifts in some ways; the dogmen and the dragonians seem to be Wanton, the Cyclops are Golden Maw, and even gangs like the Steeljaw and Gutterborn seem to be aligned with the cults. Not sure about Sobeks, ogres and Centaurs though.

The 2.4 world event with these bug-things was confusing as well - these guys don't seem to belong to any dragon cult. Not sure if I need to play the SL content to understand, but pretty much what I'm wondering is: if the "Rift enemies" like House Alfwar/Endless Court/Golden Maw, Prince Hylas, Alsbeth and Prince Shazsomething and their gods are dead/defeated, what other enemies remain to vanquish in the world of Rift?

SPOILERS AHEAD

-Well your understanding of dragons kinda meets up with how most Telarans view dragons at first. All they originally even knew, was that these 6 big dragons roflstomped the world long ago, and now have to be locked up.
    ...But over time, yeah, you get curious. What are these drakes? Why are there 'motes' and 'eggs' sometimes?
    In the Dendrome zone (Lv 60-62), some stuff clears up. It seems that the Blood Storm themselves are just.. well, DRAGONS. It's speculated that there is some other place they hail from, I think.
    Basically.. dragons are dragons. The Blood Storm are particularly planar infused gods that worked as a united force to dominate their respective Planes and devour the Nexus Plane (us). There are 'general' dragons out there, but the story focuses on the main 6 Planar God ones at first.
    And we don't know where they come from. While for now the story seems to want to address the 'Planar War' first, I assume Trion will want to bring things back to dragons again at some point, and likely what realm/planet/plane they come from.

-A few points... many planar beings we see, actually come from planets on our own plane! This includes ogres, who were scooped up by Laethys after she corrupted their civilization. As such, it's better to view all these races as part of some giant magically cosmic system, where the planes (including ours) interact in various ways.
    Heck, we even see early on in Stonefield, that some trolls stayed loyal to the Titans (through the giant slavedrivers), while others wanted to live more freely. Neither worshiped the dragons anymore. Remember that all 'planar god' means is 'super super powerfully infused being who is powerful enough to have lesser beings worship them'.

-So.. where is the story going? Well Trion just released a Planar War article, that shows that now with the Blood Storm Dragons largely gone (barring Crucia and any surprise returns), the Planar forces IN the planes now have no more incentive to stay loyal to them. Thus... giant war. We'll see more sustained efforts to crush Telara now that there's no Dragons left to claim Telara for themselves (first example of this is the Architect stuff, like the soon to be released raid), and we'll see various peaceful or hostile planar factions fight each other.
    Even just for, say, the Earth Plane, we have Architects and Titans known as major factions that don't necessarily hold allegiance to Laethys, but just seemed to keep out of her way due to her massive power.
    For the Death Plane, we have Shapers, Spirits (who we know can be good, bad, or mindlessly wandering).
    For all planes, we know that Telaran (and other?) cultists travel between them (through more dangerous rifts/tears), so it wouldn't be a stretch to consider at least remnants of them in the Planes as well. Like in Shimmersand, we see a Golden Maw leader work to travel from one area of Shimmersand to the Plane of Earth. It's all possible, but Ascended/good guys run the risk of becoming planar corrupted or killed by using this travel method.

-So to clarify... 'Wanton' just means 'worshiper of Maelforge'. And now, any 'Wanton' are that in name only, as 'former worshiper of Maelforge, but still frenzied and up to the same goals as him (setting fire to everything, letting it regrow, then destroying it again).'
    The dragon is gone, the cult is shattered, but the factions and races still exist.

-Architects had a dragon cult. They were servants of Laethys, because she killed their queen/s, and demanded to take the place of them. If Laethys won and reached Brevane/Dusken again (basically if Infernal Dawn was a success by her), she would have contacted the Architects again, tried to defeat Crucia and Regulos, and use the Architects to create a new palace.
    Crucia instead had the power over the Architects by the time we get to Brevane/Dusken, so she had them contained and mind controlled when needed, to reconstruct the Infinity Gate and uncover other Brevanic God Engines.
    Once we beat back Crucia, we find that the Architects are free and have rapidly spread through Dendrome, since they no longer have their previous collars :O.
    Their plan itself is pretty easy to understand - resurrect a new queen (aka Earth Planar God with special aspects to match with their race), head to Plane of Earth via rift where reinforcements exist, rally there and take their incredible tech to Telara to stomp everyone, now that the Dragons nor the Vigil can stop them. Only the Ascended can.

Both Stonefield story and this Architect stuff shows that at least the Plane of Earth is FILLED with beings that are just waiting for the 'go ahead' to take care of the Telaran 'problem' once and for all

-What else exists?
    -All have planar gods waiting for us, in some form, now that the Dragons and their followers aren't hoarding the power anymore.
    -The root cause (what corrupted the Dragons?) might exist.
    -Vigil stuff?
    -Time/Universes/Orphiel stuff?
    -But for now, the focus seems to be a Planar War. 1.0 was about securing a continental foothold against the Planes. 2.0 is about securing Telara against the planes. 3.0 is about running, basically, a crusade against the Planes to either understand its power (Defiant?) or purify the cosmos where ever possible (Guardian?). Starting with the Plane of Death with Regulos fight, now Plane of Earth with Architect raid... and next year Plane of Water with a full expansion...

While 3.0 seems securely about 'the Planes', expect advancements in several areas, like: technology, Vigil understanding, twisted universes, nature of Ascension, what greater powers lie out there, shielded by the Dragons until now

Remember that the Dragon Gods are dominators and major forces of the Planes, but they almost certainly are not all that existed. The Planes are ENTIRE DIMENSIONS/UNIVERSES, and they may as well control at most a 'solar system' worth of them each.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 09-23-2013 at 01:20 PM.

Just wanted to hop in to say about dragons: there are more in game. For example:

- Skraal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4K9zd95y1Q) fire raid rift
    - Ruciath (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XONs_sgkl5Y) air raid rift
    - Scarn (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi23GwtZqy0) Darkening Deeps dungeon
    - Gaurath (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTVnhRPc9f8) River of Souls raid, can be seen in some death rifts as well, though in the rifts he's not attackable and flies away

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Woh, thanks a lot for taking the time to make such a detailed reply! I guess I'll learn more of these Architects and Shapers as I venture into Storm Legion. It sounds like Trion has a lot of freedom with enemies to design if the Rifts have unknown factions outside of the Bloodstorm and their followers.

Quote Originally Posted by Veldan
    Cool videos, didn't know there were extra bosses in expert mode dungeons. I don't think I can queue for them though...

I actually facepalmed when I saw the Gaurath fight, because I remembered that I've actually fought an undead dragon in a Stillwater IA, albeit a weaker, purple one, so I was in fact lying when I said I'd seen nothing of dragons outside the gods.

If I remember correctly,

Spoiler!

Quote Originally Posted by Kriptini View Post
    If I remember correctly,

Spoiler!
    Nope, they're dragons.

But they're dragon AVATARS. What's important is that they're beings possessed by super powerful (corrupted) planar power.

Akylios is written (in this website's old lore pages) to have been in a more recognizable dragon form until the 'Madness' warped it to such a more Old God-y form.

Which, along with more recent lore, suggests that all the Blood Storm dragons were once closer to all the drakes we see, but the planar energy twists and turns them, eventually to the godly forms we must fight.

Like Regulos/Kain, it mixes with them and adopts their identity, so that when Regulos died, his spirit lived on with so much planar evergy attached to it, that I suppose nothing could have been done but banish it beyond the Ward.

Basically:
    1. They start off as dragons
    2. Somehow got hold of this planar power/the planar power (corruption) got a hold of them (we'll find out in the Planes? )
    3. It warps them over time, turns them into the forms we see (though Greenscale was also rather tainted by Death in his prison and Laethys was affected by the whole transition into coin). No longer Dragons, they are but Dragon Avatars for this planar power. Planar Gods that we topple, but there's certainly more out there than this roving gang of Dragons.

-The Dragon Motes are particles of the scattered planar energy, looking for a new host. In Water Saga, when the cult is looking for a new Avatar of Madness, they're not just looking for a NEW person, but instead someone to be the new Akylios 2.0, with a twist. You'd identify with Akylios as much as yourself, like Kain did with Regulos.
    Basically Motes are about the 'energy'.
    And one mote doesn't do much. At most, it'd create a ___-touched being. The Abyssal had to collect possibly hundreds of motes and cast spells in order to even start to create a new Avatar of Madness.

-The Dragon Eggs are more about the 'dragon'. They seem to have been created where the most life-encouraging energy was situated (Greenscale's Crater), then treated by the Planes. Won't get much into Dendrome lore here, but the nature of the Eggs is that they have the potential to hatch a whole new Blood Storm, but with unknown personalities or conditions.. or even where they lie on the good-bad spectrum. They don't have the 'recording' of being the Dragons, so it's a whole new deal.

-It's unknown about the various other minor dragons we fight in dungeons and raid rifts etc. Some seem to be children (through Dragon Eggs!) of the major dragons. Some seem to have the possibility to have existed at the original time of the dragons. Whatever they are, they're 'important but minor to the grand scheme'. They don't reveal where they came from, so it's up to the writers to illuminate that part of the story. They're clearly not powerful enough to take control of the cults.
    The important things about dragons is that they dominate an area. I like to at least headcanon that the Blood Storm Dragons were once noble 'enough', but came across such power that they were basically possessed by it, and then sought out more and more of it, until that hunger consumed them and only really Crucia tempered it at ALL (while beings like Greenscale and Regulos let it consume them entirely). This lead them to where they are today - with followers on Telara and still on the Planes, but gradually losing ground until their choices are either to band together again (lol no), head back to the Planes ASAP (no, because while they've been gone, they likely lost a lot of influence), or get a major foothold on Telara before advancing. Only Regulos likely has a super big influence on his Plane anymore, and now he's.. yeah. Anarchy, baby!

~~~~

Aedraxis was never Regulos himself... he was an Avatar of Regulos like Regulos was an Avatar of Death (it works like a chain/connection more than a possession). And Aedraxis' body and power was shattered by Guardian-Player, forcing Regulos to make the retreat again into the Plane of Death. Without Aedraxis as a 'planar-puppet', the battle is lost for him. He wanted, ideally, to be reformed with the pieces of his undead dragon body, which is what Alsbeth attempts in quests in Stillmoor (or rather rushes toward).

Later on, Alsbeth was well on her way to being an Avatar of Regulos, but for an unknown reason, she wasn't (because she's female? lol. or because Regulos is treading lightly on that concept now? or because she hasn't proven herself worthy yet?). Kain takes that mantle instead, foolishly thinking he was hunting only Shards of Aedraxis instead of Regulos himself (underestimating his task).
    This doesn't mean he IS Regulos, even if he words things that way sometimes. I means he is Death Corruption + Regulos' Presence + Evil-Kain (and over time, the Good-Kain is overwritten). Avatars are mixtures of identities, creating a new Puppet for the planar corruption. As always, it's an unknown as to what this corruption actually IS and where it comes FROM - we only know how it manifested itself upon Telara.

Eventually, Regulos just reforms himself using material from the Plane of Death and the souls of the 4 other dead Dragon Gods to augment his form/power. Still limited in ability to affect Telara, his form is arguably stronger than it was before as only a dragon.

Er... Regulos still has Aedraxis's body when you fight him in EE, doesn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Kriptini View Post
    Er... Regulos still has Aedraxis's body when you fight him in EE, doesn't he?
    Yeah I know, but you shatter Aedraxis' body in Mathosia starting zone..

I'm not super familiar with this part of the lore, but there's two ideas I have:

1)Shards of Aedraxis are united with Regulos. Eh I dunno, haven't played EE.

2)Whatever was left of Aedraxis died and went to the Plane of Death. Regulos still identifies with his bigger conquests, so he incorporated 'Aedraxis' with him along with those 4 other dragon souls.
    So really just a way to insult Zareph and the Telarans some more. Aedraxis' body is long dead.

I'd say #2

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Yeah I know, but you shatter Aedraxis' body in Mathosia starting zone..

I'm not super familiar with this part of the lore, but there's two ideas I have:

1)Shards of Aedraxis are united with Regulos. Eh I dunno, haven't played EE.

2)Whatever was left of Aedraxis died and went to the Plane of Death. Regulos still identifies with his bigger conquests, so he incorporated 'Aedraxis' with him along with those 4 other dragon souls.
    So really just a way to insult Zareph and the Telarans some more. Aedraxis' body is long dead.

I'd say #2

I thought everything that happened in the starting zones is irrelevant now that we are forging a new path as ascended in the current timeline, so now we can re-shatter (but shatter for the 1st time again) that body in EE.
    Last edited by Luteuel; 10-02-2013 at 03:52 PM.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

Quote Originally Posted by Luteuel View Post
    I thought everything that happened in the starting zones is irrelevant now that we are forging a new path as ascended in the current timeline, so now we can re-shatter (but shatter for the 1st time again) that body in EE.
    Only Terminus is (largely) irrelevant, save for Defiant Ascended existing and going through the portal.
    It 'was' 20 years in the future. I believe developer words all but confirm that Terminus still 'exists', but it would only be a special example of a sliver at this point (alternate timeline universe, connected to us only through failsafe).

Mathosia still happened. It was 20 years in the past and is not irrelevant. Most mortals died there, the rest became Ascended or survived, Alsbeth began her road down to darkness, Asha died (only to be retrieved by Orphiel years later), Carwin died, Aedraxis became a brief Avatar (or rather, Shade) of Regulos, only to be shattered (and sent back to the Plane of Death a bit?) before he could take over the continent and fully reform Regulos himself.
    That all happened.

If we're seeing Aedraxis in Regulos' body in Endless Eclipse, it's only because (like a weakened Voldemort!) the last remnants of himself got to the Plane of Death, for Regulos' spirit to reform around (add some Greenscale soul, Akylios soul, Laethys soul, Maelforge soul, and we got ourselves an ugly raid boss!!).
    Last edited by Maeloda; 10-03-2013 at 12:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread