+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
Like Tree19Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Shi-Ming

  1. #1
    Rift Chaser JackSteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    388

    Default Shi-Ming

    As far as I'm aware, the area, or faction/race is only mentioned once, in the book, "the port of scion". Here's the text.

    "Where would we be if we could not trade the lumber of Granitewood for the limestone of Ember Isle? Or the ores of the Scarlet Gorge for the spices of the Shi-Ming"

    Maybe it's mentioned more through guardian quest lines, but from the defiant side, I've found next to nothing on it. I usually make a point to get just about every book from artifact sets and throughout my characters, I'd say I have the majority of the books in game. I've finished all the quests in the old world and yet, I still saw no other mention of them (maybe I wasn't paying enough attention).

    Can someone shed any light on who or what Shi-Ming is...other than that they have good spices?
    Lockshock - 60 Mage R90
    Zeraxis - 60 Rogue R85
    If you need me, I'm on archeage now. Blight, on Inoch.
    Scratch that, it would be Blight on Thunderwing now, but I quit AA so I'm back as Lockshock on Vigil

  2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #2
    Rift Team captaincursor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JackSteel View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the area, or faction/race is only mentioned once, in the book, "the port of scion". Here's the text.

    "Where would we be if we could not trade the lumber of Granitewood for the limestone of Ember Isle? Or the ores of the Scarlet Gorge for the spices of the Shi-Ming"

    Maybe it's mentioned more through guardian quest lines, but from the defiant side, I've found next to nothing on it. I usually make a point to get just about every book from artifact sets and throughout my characters, I'd say I have the majority of the books in game. I've finished all the quests in the old world and yet, I still saw no other mention of them (maybe I wasn't paying enough attention).

    Can someone shed any light on who or what Shi-Ming is...other than that they have good spices?
    While the trade routes to the Shi-Ming seem to have been lost to the ages, I have heard tell from some of the soldiers that have returned from the battle of Port Scion that many of the relics you all have been recovering have in fact been trade goods from that lost land. It appears that the Shi-Ming were amazing sword makers, crafting blades of the finest quality.

    And while the Ascended seem fated to never step foot upon their land, a society of assassins has traveled to Mathosia and Tempest Bay, infiltrating within the ranks of the Ascended. Are they seeking to recover their swords of legend? Or is there some darker purpose behind all this.

    Or is this just all some tale weaved by a merchant prince to inflate the price of some crates of costumes found floating in the waters of the Tempest Deeps?

  3. #3
    Rift Master IonCannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    688

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    While the trade routes to the Shi-Ming seem to have been lost to the ages, I have heard tell from some of the soldiers that have returned from the battle of Port Scion that many of the relics you all have been recovering have in fact been trade goods from that lost land. It appears that the Shi-Ming were amazing sword makers, crafting blades of the finest quality.

    And while the Ascended seem fated to never step foot upon their land, a society of assassins has traveled to Mathosia and Tempest Bay, infiltrating within the ranks of the Ascended. Are they seeking to recover their swords of legend? Or is there some darker purpose behind all this.

    Or is this just all some tale weaved by a merchant prince to inflate the price of some crates of costumes found floating in the waters of the Tempest Deeps?
    Just keep on making it up as you go CC. I expect that eventually someone will find a way to string the lore into something resembling continuity.

    On Topic: Shi-ming is just a made up place to give the world a larger feel. We wont ever go there and its probably full of pandas. So for all our sakes please pretend it doesn't exist.
    Last edited by IonCannon; 09-11-2013 at 03:44 PM.

    IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

  4. #4
    Rift Master Luteuel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    While the trade routes to the Shi-Ming seem to have been lost to the ages, I have heard tell from some of the soldiers that have returned from the battle of Port Scion that many of the relics you all have been recovering have in fact been trade goods from that lost land. It appears that the Shi-Ming were amazing sword makers, crafting blades of the finest quality.

    And while the Ascended seem fated to never step foot upon their land, a society of assassins has traveled to Mathosia and Tempest Bay, infiltrating within the ranks of the Ascended. Are they seeking to recover their swords of legend? Or is there some darker purpose behind all this.

    Or is this just all some tale weaved by a merchant prince to inflate the price of some crates of costumes found floating in the waters of the Tempest Deeps?
    holy smokes he lives! have they released your chained bonds and allowed you internet access? nice to see you on the forums CC!!!

    annnnd update that timeline please and post it for us lore lovers.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

  5. #5
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Kitasia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,088

    Default

    Yes please I love lore.

  6. #6
    Rift Chaser JackSteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    While the trade routes to the Shi-Ming seem to have been lost to the ages, I have heard tell from some of the soldiers that have returned from the battle of Port Scion that many of the relics you all have been recovering have in fact been trade goods from that lost land. It appears that the Shi-Ming were amazing sword makers, crafting blades of the finest quality.

    And while the Ascended seem fated to never step foot upon their land, a society of assassins has traveled to Mathosia and Tempest Bay, infiltrating within the ranks of the Ascended. Are they seeking to recover their swords of legend? Or is there some darker purpose behind all this.

    Or is this just all some tale weaved by a merchant prince to inflate the price of some crates of costumes found floating in the waters of the Tempest Deeps?
    Such a good response that I'm actually at a loss for words. You've certainly given me hope that some of them will appear, even if we don't get to travel to their homeland. Or, if it is indeed a tale by a merchant prince, I hope to find a way to fish up or purchase those costumes.
    Lockshock - 60 Mage R90
    Zeraxis - 60 Rogue R85
    If you need me, I'm on archeage now. Blight, on Inoch.
    Scratch that, it would be Blight on Thunderwing now, but I quit AA so I'm back as Lockshock on Vigil

  7. #7
    Ascendant Xenoheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,532

    Default

    So what you are saying is you guys are planning to create a 10 man sliver in port scion to prevent another universe's port scion from suffering the same fate as ours. With that lore we discover some traveler's trapped there from shi-ming and having saved them we introduce a new playable race(s) with mayhaps a new starter zone alternate time line thing?

    Thanks TRION!!!

    disclaimer: I totally made this up. But I'd love it if it happened.
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

  8. #8
    Ascendant ilex011's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post

    (snip)

    On Topic: Shi-ming is just a made up place to give the world a larger feel. We wont ever go there and its probably full of pandas. So for all our sakes please pretend it doesn't exist.

    So where do you think the Ki-Rin come from, Smarty?



    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

  9. #9
    Ascendant July13th's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    Just keep on making it up as you go CC. I expect that eventually someone will find a way to string the lore into something resembling continuity.

    On Topic: Shi-ming is just a made up place to give the world a larger feel. We wont ever go there and its probably full of pandas. So for all our sakes please pretend it doesn't exist.
    I actually thought it was a good response. I would love to see some "asian" inspired content. Trion will probable want "mists of pandaria" to not be such a recent memory though.

  10.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #10
    Rift Team captaincursor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by July13th View Post
    I actually thought it was a good response. I would love to see some "asian" inspired content. Trion will probable want "mists of pandaria" to not be such a recent memory though.
    Actually we have too many fish stories to tell to even consider it.

  11. #11
    Ascendant bitnine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    Actually we have too many fish stories to tell to even consider it.
    All I'm saying is that if fighting a planar baddie was phase 1 as a fight, and then phase 2 was taking on a group of rival Shi-ming Ascended who had snuck around back to grab the loot while you were fighting it might just blow people's minds.

  12. #12
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    West Palm Beach
    Posts
    4,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    Actually we have too many fish stories to tell to even consider it.
    So The Deep Terror will be making his triumphant return?
    Planar Breach Support Open World PVP and PVE!
    Sourcewell and PVP Rift Objective Based PVP A more resource efficient way of adding Open World Objective based PVP!
    Ember Isle Open World Style PVP Repurposing Lets do something with this amazing zone!

  13. #13
    RIFT Community Ambassador Golden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,562

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by captaincursor View Post
    Actually we have too many fish stories to tell to even consider it.
    Ooooh, how about koi? Oriental fish?
    Children's Miracle Network 24 hour gaming marathon - Extra Life - join Trion Worlds team and have fun with us
    Please use my Ascend-A-Friend link: https://rift.trionworlds.com/account...=ascend_invite

  14. #14
    RIFT Fan Site Operator Kitasia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    2,088

    Default

    Ohh Shi-Ming.
    Found! A newly wreaked ship. That looks like it was a merchants vessel on its way to a festival of some kind. Its fate was sealed buy a storm. No survivors were found. Rare Armor pieces, swords, children's story books filled with pictures of a far away land and people wearing strange clothing, vases, art work, seeds of unknown origin, a pregnant never before seen breed of a tame beast, and many fireworks. Its fate was sealed buy a storm.

    Discovered around the beginning of spring. The local town has decided to have a wake honoring these strangers lives. Since no one knew them there was not a feeling of loss from the town members. So instead of mourning the loss of life they choose to celebrate it. By turning the wake into a festival. After having a long winter. Telarans heard about the festival. Wanting to get out and enjoy the new spring. They come from far and wide to join in the festivity's.

    Who would have known in this time of turmoil. The Gods of the Vigil would have twisted fate to bring a long lost festival back to this part of Telara. For the sadness death will be replaced with the joys of rebirth. And so the circle of life goes on.

    Translated for us. New weapon transmog, Costumes, dimension items, mounts, pets. Revolving around the Chinese New Year. Just saying it would be cool wink wink. Think on it.
    Last edited by Kitasia; 09-12-2013 at 02:49 PM.

  15. #15
    General of Telara Kriptini's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bitnine View Post
    All I'm saying is that if fighting a planar baddie was phase 1 as a fight, and then phase 2 was taking on a group of rival Shi-ming Ascended who had snuck around back to grab the loot while you were fighting it might just blow people's minds.
    I don't think the Shi-Ming have Ascended...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts