Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By IonCannon
  • 2 Post By Maeloda
  • 1 Post By IonCannon
  • 1 Post By Maeloda

Thread: Rift monsters and other beings.

Soulwalker

Default Rift monsters and other beings.

How do rift invasions work exactly? Who are their enemies? This has been on my mind for quite some time now, if a death rift opens then who are the enemies for the invaders? I would imagine it would be all the other elements including natural beasts, guardians and defiants right? But what about Telara bound death aligned beings?

I saw a few death invaders about up in Scarwood reach, among the invaders were various Endless mobs. These are part of the death planes correct? Then why do they attack Shatterbone cultists that are also part of the death planes, or death aligned?

Secondly, the Aelfwar elves and the high elves all belonged to the High Elf faction not too long ago right? If so, then why do the Aelfwar look so different? Ghost like. Is this a result of exposure too the life plane?

Again about elves, how are there elves amongst the Defiants?

If anyone got teh answers for these, I would appreciate them. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazaran View Post
    How do rift invasions work exactly? Who are their enemies? This has been on my mind for quite some time now, if a death rift opens then who are the enemies for the invaders? I would imagine it would be all the other elements including natural beasts, guardians and defiants right? But what about Telara bound death aligned beings?
    So rifts are cracks in the ward around Telara that let the planes leak in. The planar beings then try create footholds in Telara so they can captures zones for their plane. Rifts that are open long enough let out invasions that seek to corrupt other areas around the zone for the plane. Eventually the goal would be to capture entire zones for a plane. The enemies are going to be the native population, any other type being aligned with a different plane, and any ascended that try to stop them.

You brought up the point of why invasions fight creatures that are aligned similarly. This in my mind is a necessary design choice by Trion. In an area with one overwhelming planar faction an invasion of a similar nature would have no natural enemies on its invasion route and they would quickly overwhelm the zones. So Trion had to make them fight each other. If you really want to rationalize it you could come up with any number of reasons why similarly aligned beings would fight each other. (including inter-faction rivalry, rogue invasions, authority disputes)

Secondly, the Aelfwar elves and the high elves all belonged to the High Elf faction not too long ago right? If so, then why do the Aelfwar look so different? Ghost like. Is this a result of exposure too the life plane?
    Planar corruption or attunement happens very quickly. We see many people and creatures who after accepting vast amounts of planar energy are twisted into often grotesque monsters. Aelfwar just loosing some skin pigment is a relatively minor side effect.

Defiant Elves are named Kelari, they were at one point High Elves. A sizable portion of High society did not like the Vigil worship so in secret they formed cabals to create symbiotic relationship with minor spirits and gods for a mutual benefit. When the existence of these cabals were discovered a bloody clash broke out and High Elf society was split. Eventually under a truce the Kelari left for a set of Tropical Isles, one of which being Ember Isle, to forge themselves a new home. Over the next 1000 years they developed the darker skin and unique society they have today. Some time after 'The Shade' and the cracking of the ward planar spirits moved in along side the once docile spirits the Kelari have made pacts with. Soon the corruption became to much. An abyssal cult emerged among the Kelari and fire spirits/elementals bound with Kelari to for the Pyrkari. High Priestess Anthousa knew they could not stay on the Isles any longer and they made exodus back to Mathosia. After landing on a beach in Freemarch they were approached by Asha Catari and Orphiel Farwind, after hearing the goals of the Defiant and the resentment the Kelari still hold for High Elves they joined with the Defiant.

Edit: Feel free to keep asking questions.
    Last edited by IonCannon; 08-25-2013 at 12:36 PM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

How do rift invasions work exactly?
    -Either
    a)On Telara, someone uses sourcestone magitech to pierce the magic of the Ward (possibly by some manufactured Light beam). This is most notably done in Stillmoor and Port Scion, but it's also done in various questlines throughout the game. After you deal with Mathosia content in the story, the Ward is realllly damn weakened (Mathosia's part of the ward is more held up through, especially be various wardstones), and it opens up more influence onto Brevane and Dusken, forcing their peoples' to flee to a last refuge of Tempest Bay.
    b)Planar Invasions use their own magic to pierce through holes, or rather 'Tears' in the Ward themselves. Obviously for the most part, these Rifts are weaker than plot related ones (the Planar Cults would be ready to pour through their strongest beings) and things like Raid, Expert, and Great Hunt Rifts, which can be explained as just (in our 'character perspective') as somehow figuring out where the big baddies are on each Plane, and launching surprise attacks to draw them into Telara.
    It's basically a lot of back and forth. Sometimes Cults attack us by surprise, and sometimes we open up a tear ourselves to force Cults to appear on Telara so we can slay them. We would enter the Planes ourselves but it would be far too dangerous (we have limited forces, again lore-wise), and the Cults would likely be sitting right on 'top' of us and slay anyone coming through, like we Ascended kill the more aggressive Cults ;)

Who are their enemies?
    -Anyone that their God opposes. For Regulos, it would be anyone else on Telara, even if the Mathosian Endless Court group tries to make deals with the Abyssal and others on Alsbeth's orders. But the Invaders? Kill em all!

This has been on my mind for quite some time now, if a death rift opens then who are the enemies for the invaders?
    -Anyone except other Death Rift Invaders.

I would imagine it would be all the other elements including natural beasts, guardians and defiants right?
    -Yes.

But what about Telara bound death aligned beings?
    I saw a few death invaders about up in Scarwood reach, among the invaders were various Endless mobs. These are part of the death planes correct?

-Most Rift Invasions are actually exclusively PLANAR Cults (as opposed to 'Telaran' Cults like chapters of Stillmoor Endless Court, Shimmersand Golden Maw, and Droughtlands or Ember Isle Wanton). While some may share the name of a Telaran Cult, that doesn't seem to be enough distinguishable differences for them to work together in Rift Events.

Another explanation is just that Trion didn't have the tech set up for having a specifically Wanton related Rift Event not attack Wanton NPCs in the open world. It's a bit of a shame.
    One COULD headcanon that Planar Invaders consider themselves superior to those oh-so-lowly Telaran-camped beings, so they don't really care who they kill. No plotting, just destruction and revenge on Telara.

Remember though that all that unites the Cults are that they have all felt the corrupt (and we don't yet know where this corruption comes from) power of their Dragon Avatar Gods, and just want more and more of it. Sometimes they may worship the God like the Golden Maw with Laethys, grovelling for a scrap from her even as she's already 'indisposed' until Infernal Dawn . Sometimes though, they just want to siphon off power from the God like the Aelfwar's plans with Greenscale. In all cases, they just want more power, like the Dark Side (Star Wars) is filling them up with ambition, instead of purity. As such, parts of the cults don't even need to work together. One Abyssal 'cabal' doesn't even need to co-operate with the others (though it would be an issue for them), so why expect Abyssal from the Plane of Water to co-operate with Abyssal on Freemarch?

BTW I headcanon that we face human Abyssal enemies in Water Rifts because unlike us, the cults DO travel in small numbers to-and-from the Planes (a real advantage over us until soon...) and any 'Rift Attack' is just them trying to strike back with a giant blast of corruption onto the world. I'm COMPLETELY predicting that we still face Abyssal from Telara in the Plane of Water expansion, and in fact, the remaining Abyssal may have even moved shop to there. Ultimately, they all want Dragon Power to feed on and Telara to occupy and exploit (sourcestone).

Then why do they attack Shatterbone cultists that are also part of the death planes, or death aligned?
    -I wish I knew, but just imagine them as crazed with planar power and wanting to solidify the corruption at any cost, instead of involve themselves in Telaran intrigue.
    I hope Trion writes up a lore explanation for this, as it'd be nice to tell new players with questions.

Secondly, the Aelfwar elves and the high elves all belonged to the High Elf faction not too long ago right?
    -Yes. And the Aelfwar always existed, but it was only around Lv 15-20 in the story that they break off and become an outright Telaran Cult.
    -20 years ago, they were a rather safe and pure remaining House of the Elves (the rest seemingly either scattered from Mathosian expansion, or joining other places like the Guardians, Neutral Factions, and stuff like gangs and merchants)
    -Over time, Hylas becomes corrupted and shares this with his House, while the Guardians (and their own High Elves) are preoccupied with other matters.
    -In Silverwood questing, he finally shows his hand and intentions to forsake the Vigil and Guardians, and pursue Life Magic to secure his people (dummy)
    -They pass through Gloamwood and Scarlet Gorge quickly, but also send emissaries to the Moonshade Fae to convince them to join (I think this is a failure though, as they're already Death Corrupted)
    -They set up camp in Scarwood in order to attempt to breach the... King's Breach of the Endless. It is partially successful, because while the Ascended clear the way in the dungeon, we also kill some of their leadership along the way
    -Stillmoor ends their main story, as we Ascended fight them off, and their more dangerous attempts to manipulate Death Magic on top of Life, and finally corner Hylas in Greenscale's Blight, and decide to kill the dragon becausewhynot (well I guess there's a reason - to make sure no Cult reaches Greenie again)
    -Rest of Aelfwar are either killed, turn back towards the Vigil, or harry the Ascended during the Dragon Mote World Event. So far, it looks like we won't see them again, and the fate of the Aelfwar(House)/High Elves rests with the Guardians.

If so, then why do the Aelfwar look so different?
    -Honestly? Old models. RIFT started as Heroes of Telara, which then became Rift: Planes of Telara, and finally RIFT. These models were likely made long before things like our final character models, so they're really just 'stock elf enemy' NPC models. If you want to make up a headcanon reason, imagine all mortals on Telara are limited in their looks, but Ascended are a new age of appearances :P

Ghost like. Is this a result of exposure too the life plane?
    -You can think it is, but nah it's just the issue with old models. However, the models do seem to fit a 'evil/magic elf' theme, so it's easy to imagine that mortals that get too much Life Plane, become ghostly pale and obsessed with survival.

-Oh this one is easy! Because we Ascended are not what MAKES UP the faction. It's VERY possible for one High Elf to get, for example, caught on a trip to Smith's Haven in Freemarch, barely get out, and see the Defiants as their only hope. Just as it's possible that an Eth may leave the Defiants and join the Guardians (in fact, there was a NPC since 1.0 with that story, I believe he's in Sanctum). This is all POSSIBLE in the older story (by this point in Storm Legion, it's not even a big deal, but that's current stuff), but obviously more rare for races like High Elves, Kelari, Dwarves, Bahmi. Things are more open for cross-over with human races, of course.

Just treat each faction, player or neutral ones, as political entities, and it makes more sense. I mean, why does the Arcane Hand, Eth who don't use tech but still want to return the Eth Empire aside from that, work with the Guardians? Obviously for gameplay reasons, but the story reason is that they, like any faction, have their own motivations and members that interact in their own ways. For Arcane Hand, it's "We'll take any help we can get.", and for the few High Elven Defiants, it's "Ok, you guys seem to have it right, instead of the Guardians." That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    Defiant Elves are named Kelari, they were at one point High Elves. A sizable portion of High society did not like the Vigil worship so in secret they formed cabals to create symbiotic relationship with minor spirits and gods for a mutual benefit. When the existence of these cabals were discovered a bloody clash broke out and High Elf society was split. Eventually under a truce the Kelari left for a set of Tropical Isles, one of which being Ember Isle, to forge themselves a new home. Over the next 1000 years they developed the darker skin and unique society they have today. Some time after 'The Shade' and the cracking of the ward planar spirits moved in along side the once docile spirits the Kelari have made pacts with. Soon the corruption became to much. An abyssal cult emerged among the Kelari and fire spirits/elementals bound with Kelari to for the Pyrkari. High Priestess Anthousa knew they could not stay on the Isles any longer and they made exodus back to Mathosia. After landing on a beach in Freemarch they were approached by Asha Catari and Orphiel Farwind, after hearing the goals of the Defiant and the resentment the Kelari still hold for High Elves they joined with the Defiant.
    I think OP might be talking about the few elven NPCs in Defiant hubs/Meridian that... don't look like Kelari at all!

I think this is just a development issue, but it's not hard to imagine some elves joining those 'defiant few' (hehe Defiance). Not Kelari from the Isles who have been mutated by Nexus exposure, but actual High Elves from Mathosia. I mean, sure, once upon a time the Elves were THE major force, with several Houses in secure positions, but by now, there's only Guardians and House Aelfwar, and if you don't fit into either and might not even hate magitech? .... There's the faction for you, Defiant. Thing is, most High Elves by default will follow the Vigil or previously, Hylas, so it's a small minority that would ever join the Defiant, but it's very possible and that's what explains the High Elf NPCs to me. I mean they even got to show off their tech to the Elves in Port Scion!
    (and again on the other hand, I can see a few Eth Guardians (again not the Ascended!), but Kelari were too busy on their own deal, and Bahmi are probably the most connected race on Telara so yeah... no one is joining the Guardians from them ;) (except Ascended that choose to, at some point, hi faction change!)

Otherwise I think you're entirely on point and said stuff and I totally missed to say.

F*ck Maeloda, I thought I wrote a long post but damn.... Also I thought about the faction switching in retrospect. The issue is it really screws up the lore so I didn't want to even touch it because it would be too dumb. Thanks for expanding upon it.
    Last edited by IonCannon; 08-25-2013 at 11:57 PM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Soulwalker

Thank you both for your replies! Yes I did mean high elves amongst the Defiants. Such as Sylvar isn't he? I may be wrong, has been a while since I last saw him.

Surely, Telara bound death beings should help the death invaders? It would make things so much harder but interesting and well within the lore.

Also what happened for the Faceless man to leave the Water cult? And what happened to Uriel? Got myself a Defiant Character but levelled through PvP, couldn't stand their questing areas though love their lore. Still, wasn't enough to tolerate Freemarch or Stonefield.

Soulwalker

Hmmm, The Blight Event happened in Stillmoor today. And there were a lot of death invaders except this time, they ignore anything to do with death. Ignored ghosts, cultists, skeletons, etc etc.

So, I'm pretty confused here now.

Thank you both for your replies! Yes I did mean high elves amongst the Defiants. Such as Sylvar isn't he? I may be wrong, has been a while since I last saw him.

Surely, Telara bound death beings should help the death invaders? It would make things so much harder but interesting and well within the lore.

Also what happened for the Faceless man to leave the Water cult? And what happened to Uriel? Got myself a Defiant Character but levelled through PvP, couldn't stand their questing areas though love their lore. Still, wasn't enough to tolerate Freemarch or Stonefield.

1) Sylver Valis (VALIS= book by P.K. D i c k! Go read it!) is not a high elf; he is a Kelari that lacks the ability to make pacts with elementals/spirits. Forgot what that term is, begins with an "n". However, there is no physical difference between Kelari who can, and Kelari who Kannot.

2) Nope, my feeling is that the Invasions are so bloodlusty that they'll attack anything and anyone Telaran- even members of the Cults that worship them. Very feral, being they are from a different Plane. (headcon)

3) Ask not of his past!!

Be sure to do the Water Saga when you are high enough level...
    Last edited by ilex011; 08-26-2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: omg the filter filtered out PKD's NAME...
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    F*ck Maeloda, I thought I wrote a long post but damn.... Also I thought about the faction switching in retrospect. The issue is it really screws up the lore so I didn't want to even touch it because it would be too dumb. Thanks for expanding upon it.
    :P

-It screws up Lv 1-50 lore but it's really not hard to understand some 'changes' happening behind the scenes (RP) from Lv 50-60.

-Sylver may use a modified High Elf NPC model (we see similar models in the Golden Maw in Scarlet Gorge, for example, but they are clearly High Elves), but he is totally a Kelari, with the darker skin.
    -He is nalthema, a Kelari who doesn't have the disposition (likely having to do with how he's not as attuned to the Nexus, or something), to easily negotiate with the spirits, so he turned to forms of tech even before all of this. Before he was an outsider, but now he's his race's last hope.

I wish but heh.

-Faceless Man is all Water Saga stuff. As a Lv 50, go to entrance of Expert Abyssal Precipice to start it.
    -Uriel is Endless Saga and/or just the Unseen questline. I actually don't want to directly spoil these bits.. sorry.

Hmmm, The Blight Event happened in Stillmoor today. And there were a lot of death invaders except this time, they ignore anything to do with death. Ignored ghosts, cultists, skeletons, etc etc.
    So, I'm pretty confused here now.
    Could just be better scripting? :S

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    1) Sylver Valis (VALIS= book by P.K. D i c k! Go read it!) is not a high elf; he is a Kelari that lacks the ability to make pacts with elementals/spirits. Forgot what that term is, begins with an "n". However, there is no physical difference between Kelari who can, and Kelari who Kannot.
    2) Nope, my feeling is that the Invasions are so bloodlusty that they'll attack anything and anyone Telaran- even members of the Cults that worship them. Very feral, being they are from a different Plane. (headcon)
    3) Ask not of his past!!
    Be sure to do the Water Saga when you are high enough level...
    ^^^^ All this!
    Last edited by Maeloda; 08-26-2013 at 02:06 PM.

Spoiler!

Edit: this reply was completely off topic so I added spoiler tags.
    Last edited by IonCannon; 08-26-2013 at 02:27 PM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

+ Reply to Thread