+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bokuunji
  • 1 Post By Maeloda
  • 2 Post By Bokuunji

Thread: A chronicle of the lore in Rift.

Plane Touched

Default A chronicle of the lore in Rift.

http://riftlore.tumblr.com/

So, I've had this idea for a while. I created a new account, and I'm playing a character on that account, solely so I can chronicle the lore of the game while I go through all of the quests in the game. A lot of people have questions about lore, and I'm interested in learning more about it myself.

Note: I'm not the best writer but I'm trying to be as thorough as possible.

Criticism is great! Thanks for reading.
    Choof@Faeblight <Synergy> - Level 60 Warrior
    contains idm, rhythm gaming, and like one rift vid l0l

I'll post my notes while reading

-Not sure if Tumblr is the best structure for this..

-Interesting... while many who played Guardian/Mathosia would think that the Prophecy of the Ascended is in regards to the Shade, this isn't really true. "There will come a time when the Ward is fully sundered." It was NEVER fully sundered, and even now, it's still operational, AFAIK.
    I wonder if, in fact, the Vigil is predicting that in this timeline (maybe with Defiants included - the Vigil just wanting loyal followers in this process), the Ascended (lore-timeline wise) experience the Ward failing, and expand to destroy all dragon cults. We may, in Lv 60, be on the cusp of this stuff happening, instead of the whole older Mathosia bits.
    Even 'fallen kingdom' at this point could mean Brevane....
    It's often a thing that prophecies are misinterpreted, after all

-I believe Aedraxis was virtuous at first, but once the Endless Court weaved into him, he then became a tyrant. He was a tool by that point, really. It's why Zareph mourns his bother - not just because they're family, but because Aedraxis really did have promise like any other of the royal line.

-It wasn't just the factions you stated, but even Icewatch and Dragonslayers that joined in the fight. By the time we enter as Ascended, most of those factions have been wiped out, but their leaders fight on against the undead. This was a united front, except for the corrupted Mathosians, and single-minded Eth, Bahmi, and Orphiel (though again, some Eth joined the fight, like the Dragonslayers). Many of the mortals that survived, barely were able to hang on before the Ascended were able to arrive and turn the tide. It's this whole experience that opens up factions like the Dragonslayers and Arcane Hand to the Guardians (Lv 40-50), when they otherwise might not.

-This book really describes well the aspect of MIRACLE that follows the Guardian Ascended, and why people worship the Vigil. It's not so much that they have power (which is the Defiant priority), but that they try to temper a balance between leaving the world for mortal autonomy and divine guidance and intervention (which was necessary in Stillmoor). It's that 'free will but with consequences' stuff that Defiants, or even real world atheists (like myself) can sometimes miss, regarding the faithful of a religion.

-It really seems that, imo, the Vigil is only able to really make themselves clear on Telara through either their power that rushes through 'holes' in the Ward (like the Shade caused), or Messengers they send through it. I'd LOVE to know how the Messengers are even created.

Plane Touched

I'd just love those nasty looking sword-arm-weapon... things.

Strangely enough, this is also a good way for myself to learn about the lore behind Rift. I started out kinda brushing the quest information to the side, and just ground out quests to get to level cap. I've tried multiple times to take my time, but I eventually get frustrated at how slowly things are moving, so I say, "screw it."

In terms of the Prophecy of the Ascended, I simply started the first post off with that because I think it's rather obscure, and I haven't seen it anywhere outside of the starting zone.

So when it comes to Aedraxis being virtuous, other factions fighting along side the Guardians, and other assorted information regarding the shade, I'm in the dark as well. That's what this blog will hopefully fix, and I'm also hoping that, at some point, I can take the information I get from following quests and put it into a more formal format.

I really would like to see work on Telarapedia to continue.

At any rate, thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll be updating with (hopefully) half of the starter zone tonight.
    Last edited by Bokuunji; 08-24-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Shield of Telara

It would be interesting if there was an actual chronicle that did a summary of the lore, complete with showing the bosses in order of which they died.

Quote Originally Posted by Bokuunji View Post
    At any rate, thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll be updating with (hopefully) half of the starter zone tonight.
    Oh yeah, I'm basically just blabbing. You're doing nothing wrong.

Do you aim to create a timeline? I really wished they would update their current timeline with all the new information.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Luteuel View Post
    Do you aim to create a timeline? I really wished they would update their current timeline with all the new information.
    Yeah, I was wondering how long it takes to get from Divine Landing to Hailol. Maybe a year or two?

Anyway, I forgot to update yesterday because... impromptu barhopping with classmates...

(*not talking about pre-Rift historical timeline, just since the game launched)

Considering the whole 'Carnival of the Ascended' stuff, I like to think that yes, most Classic Rift stuff happened in the span of a year (Leveling, Epic Quests, Greenscale's Blight, River of Souls, Hammerknell, Water Saga, Ember Isle/CR, Infernal Dawn, Wanton Maw Saga), and then in another year we moved on to Storm Legion (Tempest Rising, Brevane, Dusken, Frozen Tempest, Endless Eclipse). I guess it'll take another year to deal with Dendrome and the Architects, and moving into 3.0 lands.
    Basically, it generallyoverall fits real-world time. By the time we get into Plane of Water, three years would pass both in real world and Telara.

Before that, both factions spent 2 years setting up their respective bases. We could imagine the Defiants spending up to a year figuring out where to settle and trying to take over Meridian, and another year having taken it over and setting up shop (and 1 year later, it looking like it is now, with more flashy NPCs and training grounds). Sanctum was already under construction before Port Scion fell, so it's more of an established town.

Yeah, I was wondering how long it takes to get from Divine Landing to Hailol. Maybe a year or two?
    Anyway, I forgot to update yesterday because... impromptu barhopping with classmates...
    So yeah, I'd say 2 years. Half a year of pitched fighting between the factions (Silverwood/Freemarch til Scarwood), then another half a year of competing interests (Neutral Zones after Scarwood, leading to Ember Isle), then a year of things gradually softening since the meetup between faction leaders in War of the Wanton Maw, getting into Storm Legion, Ascended working together... then Hailol/Empyrean Alliance, where we're more just about saving Telara, 2 years after the fall of Port Scion.

Sound good enough to headcanon?
    Last edited by Maeloda; 08-27-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Plane Touched

Awesome. I'll take that general time frame, and twist it to fit with the general patch dates (example: a month from the time we landed on Divine Landing to battling Greenscale seems like an okay amount of time).

At any rate, I finally got un-lazy and updated the blog. Right when you step foot out of The Sanctuary Rebirth, to Brother Jebiah on the edge of Ardenburgh Gate.

Now, I want to focus on this little tidbit:
    After finally pulling away from combat, we can find two interesting items near the Ardenburgh City Hall: An Ardenburgh city record, dated Fifth Moon of the Year of the Tyrant, and a poster headed with “All Hail King Aedraxis!” This brings the impression that all of the recent events happened very rapidly, more rapidly than previously imagined. The poster also reveals that Aedraxis potentially had his current idea well before he took up the crown. It’s implied that, during the ceremony where he became the king, he told the people of Mathosia that he wanted to “bring forth a new, prosperous era.” That his desire was “for our kingdom to unbind itself from the constraints of the past, so that we may embrace the future.” This sounds very… scandalous.
    This could simply be me looking too much into Aedraxis being crowned as the new King, as opposed to Carwin or Zareph, but could it be, that Aedraxis actually set up Jostir to be killed? At this point, we don't know how Jostir died, whether it be in combat, old age, or disease. However, Carwin mentions that he felt like Aedraxis had a "dark future," and the very first thing Aedraxis does after being crowned, is declare that he wants to unbind from the past and embrace the future.

I'll update again this weekend at some point, I have nothing going on besides DnD lol.
    Last edited by Bokuunji; 09-06-2013 at 09:07 PM.

It's very possible that it was an assassination.

Trion may have moved away from the Mathosian story by now, but I think we can assume that the secretive Endless Court (the 'hidden' Court of the Empire, otherwise banned) waited for their chance to strike since the Blood Storm War, and did so by convincing Aedraxis to kill his father (the Endless require you to kill a loved one in order to join).

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    (*not talking about pre-Rift historical timeline, just since the game launched)

Considering the whole 'Carnival of the Ascended' stuff, I like to think that yes, most Classic Rift stuff happened in the span of a year (Leveling, Epic Quests, Greenscale's Blight, River of Souls, Hammerknell, Water Saga, Ember Isle/CR, Infernal Dawn, Wanton Maw Saga), and then in another year we moved on to Storm Legion (Tempest Rising, Brevane, Dusken, Frozen Tempest, Endless Eclipse). I guess it'll take another year to deal with Dendrome and the Architects, and moving into 3.0 lands.
    Basically, it generallyoverall fits real-world time. By the time we get into Plane of Water, three years would pass both in real world and Telara.

Before that, both factions spent 2 years setting up their respective bases. We could imagine the Defiants spending up to a year figuring out where to settle and trying to take over Meridian, and another year having taken it over and setting up shop (and 1 year later, it looking like it is now, with more flashy NPCs and training grounds). Sanctum was already under construction before Port Scion fell, so it's more of an established town.

So yeah, I'd say 2 years. Half a year of pitched fighting between the factions (Silverwood/Freemarch til Scarwood), then another half a year of competing interests (Neutral Zones after Scarwood, leading to Ember Isle), then a year of things gradually softening since the meetup between faction leaders in War of the Wanton Maw, getting into Storm Legion, Ascended working together... then Hailol/Empyrean Alliance, where we're more just about saving Telara, 2 years after the fall of Port Scion.

Sound good enough to headcanon?

sorry i missed this, but Game time =/= real world time. which is evident when looking at /time in game. I think every minute in RL is like 5 mins in game time maybe more maybe less...i couldn't ever really figure it out.

so a year would be 2 months if 5 mins
    Last edited by Luteuel; 09-11-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"

whoops, math is hard. it would be 5 years if 5 minutes for every RL year.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"

sorry i missed this, but Game time =/= real world time. which is evident when looking at /time in game. I think every minute in RL is like 5 mins in game time maybe more maybe less...i couldn't ever really figure it out.

so a year would be 2 months if 5 mins
    I'm not ACTUALLY using real world time. Not at all to a science, at least.

But when we see an annual celebration of killing the dragons, it makes me think.

And then it seems to have taken two years from the Fall of Port Scion, to our Lv 6 existence in Silverwood/Freemarch, so time moves kinda slow in Telara.

So I wouldn't be surprised if a general 'couple of years' have passed since our Lv 6 questing began.

I used the word 'headcanon' for a reason - because Trion isn't going to provide exact numbers until they decide to.

'/time' means nothing. I'm going off of storyline events and how the world events have worked along with the annual world events like Carnival.

+ Reply to Thread