+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xanduin246

Thread: Giants and 3.0

Default Giants and 3.0

I was thinking, if they wanted to get off the whole dragon wipe, shouldn't they pick up on giants? I loved stonefield and I loved killing the giant in the end.

Do we really know anything about them other than the stuff we get to learn in Stonefield? Will they make an epic return?
    Last edited by cYan; 08-18-2013 at 02:48 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Promising preview! The less Rift conforms with the preferences of someone who still plays VG, the better for the vast majority of potential customers out there.
    Winzhi Defiant Mage

Giants or titans? Centius was a titan, I'm not sure if the giant skeleton in Stonefield is a titan or not (EDIT: I guess it is, the area being Titan's Rest and all), but the giants are those big lumbering guys near the beginning that carry whips.

Anyway, if it's titans I think their story is pretty much done. They used to be servants of the Eth, used to guard their sourcestone mines, which the Eth called Ever Mines. The Ever Mines were pretty much used to power the entire Ethian empire. Eventually the titans rebelled and drove the Eth out of Stonefield by turning the creatures of the land against them. Then some decades later the Eth came and took Stonefield back.

In present times the titans are featured in Deepstrike Mines, where we break through a wall in the back and find a resting place of several titans (if you look closely at the models of titans in expert DSM they're breathing). Plutonus the Architect, a titan, is alive and I believe looking to bring the titans back, but we destroy him. Later on Alsbeth brings him back to serve Regulos and devise a better way of selecting souls out of the Soulstream, he manages to do it, and brings several important figures back, including Gaurath and Zareph, before we kill him a second time.

That's pretty much where the story of the titans ends I think. We killed the supposed last of the titans (after Centius) twice, and I don't know what else they can really do with them.

The lore around the titans is some of my favorites, and I've tried to ask on livestreams several times if they have more planned. I don't think they were ever supposed to be such a big deal though. And I don't think they are planar beings, so with the xpacs starting to go into the planes we're really just moving further away from them.
    Last edited by xanduin246; 08-18-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Planebreakers Bastion - Top of it is a huge titan/giant/statue and the bottom right is a large titan/giant/statue... We may get a chance to fight them. Although since this is a map they are likely parts of the environment, meaning they may not be actual bosses. I hope they are...

Last edited by IonCannon; 08-18-2013 at 04:04 PM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    Planebreakers Bastion - Top of it is a huge titan/giant/statue and the bottom right is a large titan/giant/statue... We may get a chance to fight them. Although since this is a map they are likely parts of the environment, meaning they may not be actual bosses. I hope they are...

I think at least the top one looks like one of those bosses that is huge and stationary, kind of like the last boss of Mass Effect 2 (EDIT: Extreme Mass Effect 2 spoilers, click at own risk. Seriously. Example.). It looks more like just a giant construct than a titan though, but I'd love to be wrong on that.
    Last edited by xanduin246; 08-18-2013 at 04:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    I think at least the top one looks like one of those bosses that is huge and stationary, kind of like the last boss of Mass Effect 2. It looks more like just a giant construct than a titan though, but I'd love to be wrong on that.
    The last one is an obvious boss fight you can see the 4 boss platforms conveniently in front of it. It is just a matter of like you said is it going to be stationary and slow (statuesque) or mobile and dynamic (titan).

Edit: Would be a lot easier to tell if it was textured...
    Last edited by IonCannon; 08-18-2013 at 04:10 PM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

You mean Titans. Giants are dumb and result in, at most, slavemasters to even weaker beings.

The Titan you meet in Stonefield is a diminished form. It's unknown what did this, but the Titans are smaller and weaker than they used to be. The reason might be some plot point that Trion addresses later.

We don't meet any more Titans, I think, other than the one in Stonefield questing and the Expert Deepstrike Mines, River of Souls (and maybe some rifts and stuff), until Dendrome recently.

There's one Titan there that lived there for a longggggg time. He spent his time collecting dragon eggs of planar energy (likely spread by the dragons as they lived/died, and appearing in Dendrome because it seems to be the spot where the Ward is super super thin).
    He had traded almost all of them to the Architects, and we have to kill the corrupted whelps. It's his last one that I THINK hatches into Tasuil, the pure (Life?) dragon, named after the talking dog friend of Atrophinius.

I think the Titan is just there because they want to remind us that Titans exist and Plane of Earth blah blah.

I do NOT agree with Xan that their story is done. I don't think it is. I think that when we eventually go to the ENTIRE (not just raid zone area) Plane of Earth, it'll have a whole area of it entirely about Titans, and possibly the colossi sized ones (ahem Volan boss style), all with a vendetta against the Eth and Telara.
    Even just opening the limited portal to the Plane of Earth in Stonefield, had a titan JUST WAITING to attack us.
    If we think the Architects are a danger, I don't think we've seen anything yet. It could even be that the Titans were the original MASTERS of the Architects, including their queens. We'll see.

Considering that there's a Titan in Dendrome, I don't think we're supposed to forget their role.

Ok, I'm reading more posts, and yeah the next Plane of Earth raid might have Titan info

And I'm not surprised that we're reminded of Mass Effect. There's a lot of hidden similarities between Rift and it, that I don't think I want to get into right now
    Let's just say that both really like the concept and method of Indoctrination, just to start.

We may be going to the Plane of Water in 3.0, but Trion is already laying ground work for the Planes of Earth, Life, and Fire.
    (Fire in that it wasn't at all strongly featured in Storm Legion, which might imply that 4.0 or earlier is a sudden SURPRISE HERES THE PLANE YOU THOUGHT WE FORGOT!)

(Air will have stuff but it's still an unknown. Death is really giving the feeling of being on haitus for now, even if we get a presence of it in PoW to continue its story.)

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    I think that when we eventually go to the ENTIRE (not just raid zone area) Plane of Earth, it'll have a whole area of it entirely about Titans, and possibly the colossi sized ones (ahem Volan boss style), all with a vendetta against the Eth and Telara.
    Is there anything that says titans are planar? I ask that honestly. I tried to look but everything I found just said that they have been on Telara for a very long time.

EDIT: Also what portal in Stonefield had a titan behind it? You mean Centius? I thought that was just a prison, he was locked inside that big monolith.
    Last edited by xanduin246; 08-18-2013 at 06:27 PM.

Wrong on both counts.

Titans are planar. The ancient Eth experimented with planar gates (at this point consider them mini Infinity Gates, likely with less size and amount of planar power it can send through), and in Stonefield, drew Titans out from the Plane of Earth and enslaved them.

The Titans rebelled and killed/pushed off the Eth, but then the Eth returned to stop them (possibly in the process, shrinking them and maybe killing any others) and kept Stonefield until the Convocation disaster happened. The area then remained in disrepair until sourcestone was found, bringing miners, who then accidentally found Ethian ruins.

So as far as we know, Titans are kings of the Plane of Earth, and if they were as big as the skeleton in Stonefield, they may rival Laethys in terms of raw physical power (though maybe not corrupted planar energy, which is the dragons' greatest weapon).

AFAIK Basically Centius was a big Titan, was shrunk in the Eth retaking of the region, then either banished or fled through the gate, and was just waiting...waiting.. for when he could return to unleash revenge. Considering the other Titan in Dendrome now, the Titans seem to be big on 'waiting' for long periods. They may be nearly immortal.

Most creatures are planar btw, except like... animals/beasts of generic sorts. Many, while being 'stranded' on Telara, have become nearly native to it by this point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Titans are planar. The ancient Eth experimented with planar gates (at this point consider them mini Infinity Gates, likely with less size and amount of planar power it can send through), and in Stonefield, drew Titans out from the Plane of Earth and enslaved them.
    Not trying to sound rude, but do you have a source for this? Even if I have to quest through Stonefield again.
    Last edited by xanduin246; 08-18-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Not trying to sound rude, but do you have a source for this? Even if I have to quest through Stonefield again.
    Found it. So I gladly concede the point that they're planar. Gives me hope that they will expand on them in the future. Thanks Maeloda.

Found it. So I gladly concede the point that they're planar. Gives me hope that they will expand on them in the future. Thanks Maeloda.

It's ok, I'm wrong with lore stuff sometimes. I just know this for sure because I JUST finished all of Stonefield on my Defiant story alt, reading every quest (not remembering every minor detail, but the big ones, sure).

The Planebreakers seem to be more mechanical than living and seem to be Architect constructions. I don't think they relate to the Titans mentioned here.

The recent Rift Newsletter kind of showed off what looks to be a broken Planebreaker (likely the bottom-right one).
    http://riftgrate.com/2013/08/17/news...head-revealed/

+ Reply to Thread