+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Maeloda

Thread: Is Regulos actually gone?

Default Is Regulos actually gone?

Can he really die? Can we really keep him locked up?

The entire vibe of him, starting from the starting zone through out the game up until the raid encounter itself, I get this feeling that he is gonna show up again.

You might say he will pull a Ragnaros (for those of you that have played wow)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Promising preview! The less Rift conforms with the preferences of someone who still plays VG, the better for the vast majority of potential customers out there.
    Winzhi Defiant Mage

there are many theories out there but imo I feel he is dead from all planes of existence as the messenger of the vigil states at the beginning of the raid dungeon of how they will help us.

funny though, we see Zareph and he sacrifices himself....what exactly did he do??? besides become a hamburger mashed by Regulos.
    Last edited by Luteuel; 08-12-2013 at 07:49 AM.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

All of the dragons, bar crucia, has been confirmed dead by the loredevs in the lore-livestream.
    So yes, he is dead. He wasn't the incarnation of death as such, just the occupant of the plane of death.
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

I asked someone (I believe Simon) about this on a livestream a couple weeks back.

His answer was that basically they were still deciding. They haven't quite nailed down what killing the dragons here (on Telara) means. It could mean they're gone forever, it could be the motes thing, it could be the true form in the planes, or it could be the reborn in another form. EDIT: Or, of course, something else entirely.

They'll probably have to come up with an answer by 3.0 though.
    Last edited by xanduin246; 08-12-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Obviously in 3.0 we will venture through the planes and find Regulos fluffy form in an mlp plane of death to good taste on an april 1st.

Regulos is dead. His death text reinforces he will stay that way. The lore does exists for him to return but Trion wants to move past the dragons onto bigger and badder enemies.
    Last edited by IonCannon; 08-12-2013 at 11:02 AM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Quote Originally Posted by Luteuel View Post
    there are many theories out there but imo I feel he is dead from all planes of existence as the messenger of the vigil states at the beginning of the raid dungeon of how they will help us.

funny though, we see Zareph and he sacrifices himself....what exactly did he do??? besides become a hamburger mashed by Regulos.
    He "weakened" Regulos by bringing out aedraxis good side and shoe-horning a redemption story. Also I believe that is his 4th death.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Quote Originally Posted by IonCannon View Post
    Regulos is dead. His death text reinforces he will stay that way. The lore does exists for him to return but Trion wants to move past the dragons onto bigger and badder enemies.
    Yeah, I think we're leaving the concept of 'physical dragons we fight as raid enemies' at least. Dendrome's story, however, seems to show that no, we're not with dragons themselves.

I really get the impression though that Trion wants to move away from the Blood Storm (and anything related to it) just being RAWR BIG DRAGON though. I think it's more about corruption in planar energy, than just dragons.

He "weakened" Regulos by bringing out aedraxis good side and shoe-horning a redemption story. Also I believe that is his 4th death.
    Yeah Regulos keeps dying, in different forms, of through different proxies (Avatars).

1. Dragon form killed and shattered across Mathosia by Blood Storm Heroes. Spirit/soul/mind is automatically banished beyond, to the Plane of Death. Ward is set up to prevent reappearance, but its just the Vigil preparing Telara for him arriving.

2. Regulos gathers enough power, like some kinda Voldemort, to send at least part of his spirit to possess Aedraxis in Stillmoor. This becomes the Avatar of Regulos but it is stopped by Cyril + Shyla + Borrin + Player + Carwin + Messenger + etc.
    This body is also shattered across Mathosia, becoming known as the Shards of Aedraxis, as well as the bigger dragon Shards of Regulos.

3a. Alsbeth tries to bring enough Shards of Regulos into being, in Stillmoor. You stop this effort, and eventually Alsbeth even dies/gets her soul eaten by Regulos for failing him. By stopping these (more Defiant canon than Guardian, though both work now) events, we stop the Terminus stuff from happening. Now both factions begin their uncertain future.

4. However, Kain has been collecting 'Shards of Aedraxis' all along, and thinks it is just making him more powerful, until learning that it is Regulos' power all along. Because he's so corrupted by this point, he's practically half-Regulos, takes up mantle of the Endless Court, and evacuates to Dusken to protect Regulos' last big valuable on Telara - the Nexus Key. We enter the ancient Shapers' domain and (I'm vague about this part) enter a sort of planar flux where we kinda-sorta enter the Plane of Death to defeat the (againnn) reforming Regulos, who lost much of his power, but absorbed the souls of 4 other Dragons in order to recover faster - way to gooo Ascended ;)

5. (ALTERNATE TIMELINE) Terminus. Regulos has returned. The humanoid Avatar is reformed, as is the bigger Avatar dragon (yes, dragons can be considered Avatars of this planar evil power called 'Regulos'). Together, they work with the Bride of Regulos, Alsbeth, to rampage over all of Mathosia, and seemingly Telara. Only Defiant survivors hiding in Freemarch remain. ('Lastlight' might be a new but now ruined Guardian settlement after they kicked the Defiants out of Meridian)

TO OP: Other conversation happened here http://forums.riftgame.com/game-disc...d-regulos.html

Do I think 'Regulos' is dead? Yeah, he's just the most powerful planar god we've seen yet, but not the most powerful of everything. In fact, he could be just a sapient offspring of a larger Death/Dark Corruption that exists, so we shouldn't think we're out of the woods by far

What IS possible is that his energy is reformed into another scheme, but I don't expect it to be either:
    -another 'dragon' (physically, at all)
    -Regulos itself (though it is technically possible, given any lore twists)
    Last edited by Maeloda; 08-12-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Yeah Regulos keeps dying, in different forms, of through different proxies (Avatars).
    I meant Zareph but they all seem to die quite often.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

I meant Zareph but they all seem to die quite often.
    HA!

True. Sorry, I mixed things up.

However, I'm... pretty sure Zareph didn't die in the first place, in Stillmoor. I thought he was mortal, stayed mortal and survived the arrival of the Shade (it was others that died), survived the big blast of the death of the Shade, and only actually died in Port Scion, in working to seal it off from expanding Death outward.

So this would make this only his 3rd death at most? (Port Scion, then River of Souls maybe, then Plane of Death) I don't think he was Ascended.

I do think that he matches Regulos in number of reappearances by now, which might mean that he'll come back only if Regulos comes back...againnnn.

I'm gonna go on the game and check a bit.

Yep, he survived the initial attack of Aedraxis/Regulos, and seemingly survived the later attack and lead the survivors to Port Scion for safety from the rifts.

And then, the Guardian Ascended arrived, before any player Ascended did! In this period, Orphiel also worked to replicate their 2nd resurrections, by drawing Asha back from the Plane of Death, where she was being tortured and corrupted by Regulos into becoming his bride (actual one - not stupid Alsbeth sloppy seconds).

Then, Sanctum's island appeared and showed the Guardians a place to settle, before even Port Scion fell. The Vigil likely knew it was going to happen, and were preparing.

Then, Port Scion fell, and Zareph actually died. He reappears in River of Souls Chronicle, to an unknown end, but then comes back (so I guess he was ok?) in Endless Eclipse, but I didn't do that raid yet.

Carwin Mathos also exists as a more Telaran-bound (instead of Plane of Death stolen, like Zareph) spirit. He is only known to be a ghost that guides the Guardians, because for some reason I guess he wasn't mighty enough to be made an Ascended. *eyeroll*

Ascendant

[QUOTE=xanduin246;4444710 They haven't quite nailed down what killing the dragons here (on Telara) means. It could mean they're gone forever, it could be the motes thing, it could be the true form in the planes, or it could be the reborn in another form. EDIT: Or, of course, something else entirely.[/QUOTE]

we kill regulos on the plane of death though, not on telara
    the motes thing could mean we get more dragons as all the others were defeated on telara
    we already know laethys can have herself reformed
    we know laethys and maelforge had eggs, we make omelette out of them in ID but there is always a chance an egg survived and is hidden away in mount carcera right now...
    we know that more dragon eggs and dragons exist, we come across them in the dendrome
    so lore exists for the dragons to be reborn though I think currently they are all dead

I hope they don't make a return, well maelforge maybe he was my favourite
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Yeah I think the lore is shifting sharply towards dragon offspring, and new avatars of this planar power, and hopefully:

1)Origins of dragons themselves. MAN I WANT A DRAGON PLANET!

2)Origin of the planar corruption, itself. (for all elements) Life Saga for Guardians has Joseph that slightly hints towards something being behind the Blood Storm, I think. Making them just agents of it, possibly unwittingly?

As for Regulos, maybe his own power has spread not through Telara, but through the Plane of Death, making a future journey there, possibly mean facing a new Avatar of Death at some point, even if it maybe isn't the ultimate Death Big-Bad.

+ Reply to Thread