+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Mythue
  • 1 Post By Maeloda
  • 1 Post By Mythue

Thread: Planar Race Tidbits

Default Planar Race Tidbits

Well I was on the IMDB page for True Blood (don't ask) and found the following info about the Fae:

"So Fairy lore and mythology is pretty big and there are a bunch of differences depending on what you read from various countries/cultures. There are three main things which seem to remain constant through out the various differences -

The first and most prominent is that in the fairy realm time moves slower than it does in the real world. An hour in the fairy realm could very well be a month or a year on Earth. They normally get you into the fairy realm by having you drink something or eat food, at which point your trapped there.

The second is that fairies and humans once occupied the same land. The fairy world is there original world, but they would regularly come over to our realm and live. They still do in some stories, but for the most part they have all returned home.

The third is that they appear beautiful in our world to trick us, but once they are back in their world they are ugly grotesque creatures."

This is pretty cool. It easily explains the Realm of the Fae, maybe the nature of the (best, Light based) Life magic, and Hailol in Dendrome, even how the Fae arrived there across the ocean.

The difference is that friendly Fae have no wish to trap us, we're free to leave Hailol, and their ugly forms are actually pretty clear (have you seen a pixie lately?). If anything, the only truly 'good looking' fae would be maybe the fae that Druids summon, but everyone else we've seen have been corrupted by Greenscale to some degree or another.

I'm interested in the Realm of Twisted Dreams upcoming dungeon!

Is there anything else people know about other races? Like Shalastari (Djinn) or Deep Ones, etc?
    Last edited by Maeloda; 08-11-2013 at 05:59 PM.

Plane Walker

I find I am a little curious about the Achyati, this tribe of orges that are cousins to the Qaijri and who have abandoned their love of gold for a philosophical richness.

I wonder if they came to Telara with Laethys or came directly from the little place by the sea that Laethys conquered and if they see Laethys as this Laser Unicorn that disintegrates the horns of the Cosmic Rhinoceros (their primal/animal spirit?) that they hear the ramblings of.

The priests of this tribe that were caught in the Temple of the Abandoned say they were tortured by the Awakened who were trying to find what secrets they held of the cosmos, is "Life, is suffering" a secret they hold of the Plane of Life and do their artifacts really hold more prophecies concerning Telara's creation and destruction.

They say the Cosmic Rhinoceros has travelled the length of time and space and sees many worlds in his journey, each doomed in its own unique way. To travel in the footsteps of this one is to learn what the weight of time has stamped flat,

and this, "The ties that bind the elements together dissolve as surely as do the bodies of the slain dragons" which makes me wonder what are these ties!

In Tempest Bay The Cosmic Rhinoceros has a title of Universal Secrets Holder, so my Kelari Chloromancer is still glad she heard of the first Chloromancer's quote saying that the Cosmic Secrets are open to all
    Last edited by Mythue; 08-13-2013 at 07:22 AM.

My thoughts on the Achyati and Qaijri:

-Not sure about Qaijri, but they don't seem to worship the Cosmic Rhinoceros?

-However, the ogres overall, come from another planet. It seems that on this 'nexus plane', areas of it attune to certain planes over other planes, and only Telara hits the spot with all 6 planes (assuming there are only 6 other ones).

-The ogres were originally thinner, and I speculate on whether their planet was both Life and Earth oriented (making Dendrome/Ashora a really proper new home for many of them), but..

"Once, in another world, there was a little kingdom by the sea. It was a poor little kingdom, but happy—the rivers rushing to the sea made the fields fertile, and the bay was thick with fish. Its people, who called themselves Ogres, were strong from hard work and hale from good food. But the Ogres looked with envy upon their neighbors, who did not work quite so hard because their mountains hid glittering riches.
    Time passed, and the Ogres wanted more."

-We don't know whether the ogres were the same as their neighbors, but regardless, they became greedy, cutthroat, and fat by their own choices and changing culture.
    But it wasn't really their choice. The Laethys short story hints that Laethys had been influencing the ogres for a while, so that they would do all the dirty work for them. She collects all the wealth and takes it to the Plane of Earth, the ogres get greedy enough to call upon the Blood Storm (dummies), they ravage the land and Laethys grabs the goods, and Regulos eventually eats the world and/or all its souls (we assume). The remaining ogres follow Laethys into the Plane of Earth to be her slaves, by now too biologically changed to be as they once were.

-But like it seems with several planar species, some ogres became attached to Telara.
    The ogres of Shimmersand banded together with others to constitute the Golden Maw, but on Brevane, after the war, others discovered the 'Cosmic Rhinoceros'.
    It's more likely to me so far that the Qaijri of Nurjak Vostra, even if they know about the Cosmic Rhino (their NPCs now speak of it through audio in 2.3, but that could be a dev oversight), are more focused on getting life in general to survive in Ashora.
    The Achyati, however, have spent much more time around blossoming Life, and seem far more attuned to it and the Cosmic Rhino. Both forsake riches of Laethys by now, but I'd wager the Qaijri to be brought back under her sway long before the Achyati.

-Given the now Summerfest connection, it could be that the Cosmic Rhino (rhinos usually being taken as a Earth oriented creature in the game though) is a Life being that propels importance onto that Plane that wasn't there until now. Maybe going to the Plane of Life, will bring great plot revelations, and not just fae silliness?

-How do they commune with the Cosmic Rhino? Well, it seems simply by altering the senses. I get the image of a prophet wandering the Dendrome (which was mostly Life until the Architects had their bonds loosened recently - they move fast!) after Laethys went to Mathosia and got trapped, finding it hard to survive with this brothers (it's kinda creepy to not see any discernible female ogres Trion, or maybe they're all looking the same, ha), and finally getting drugged up by some plant or berry that shows this giant rhino speaking to him,

-Why do the Fae not speak about the Rhino? Could it be just because they do their own thing on the Plane of Life, and the Rhino does its own as well? They don't exactly seem compatible beings, the Fae being the opposite of introspective, so I could get behind that idea.

-speculation.. is the Cosmic Rhino just a planar god? Maybe we'll find that it doesn't look so humble as its Summerfest projection

-regardless, you're right, the Rhino stuff is very easy to attach to Chloromancer magic. Healing through damage... sounds like symbolic of the cycle of death and rebirth.

"Bow to no one, mortal or divine, for the cosmic secrets are open to all. After all, you need no god to show you that the antelope must die for the lion to live."
    -Kamuzu Sagta, Eth Chloromancer Blood Storm Hero, who stopped Laethys

The Cosmic Rhino, even if a possible planar god, shouldn't be regarded as such. He's more a guide that possibly peers into the events of every Plane and planet, somehow. Where the Vigil are closer to Christian/Roman (yet poly and not mono) symbolism, the Cosmic Rhino is more animism/Buddha symbolism.

SIDENOTE: Based on the Chloromancer story, we can see that Mathosia and Eth existed as clear political concepts even during the Blood Storm War, but it was after the Dragons were stopped and the Vigil left, that the Eth were able to go full steam on their blasphemous magitech and establish a larger empire.

"Kamuzu Sagta was venerated, not as a priest, but as one of the first great Eth Mages. He taught his art and philosophy of mortal empowerment to the students who flocked to the charmed city. And when the great golden dragon was brought low, it was his equations and thaumaturgy that bound her in place."

TLDR; Chloromancers rock, and have the secrets of the universe at their fingertips.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 08-13-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    I find I am a little curious about the Achyati, this tribe of orges that are cousins to the Qaijri and who have abandoned their love of gold for a philosophical richness.

I wonder if they came to Telara with Laethys or came directly from the little place by the sea that Laethys conquered and if they see Laethys as this Laser Unicorn that disintegrates the horns of the Cosmic Rhinoceros (their primal/animal spirit?) that they hear the ramblings of.

The priests of this tribe that were caught in the Temple of the Abandoned say they were tortured by the Awakened who were trying to find what secrets they held of the cosmos, is "Life, is suffering" a secret they hold of the Plane of Life and do their artifacts really hold more prophecies concerning Telara's creation and destruction.

They say the Cosmic Rhinoceros has travelled the length of time and space and sees many worlds in his journey, each doomed in its own unique way. To travel in the footsteps of this one is to learn what the weight of time has stamped flat,

and this, "The ties that bind the elements together dissolve as surely as do the bodies of the slain dragons" which makes me wonder what are these ties!

In Tempest Bay The Cosmic Rhinoceros has a title of Universal Secrets Holder, so my Kelari Chloromancer is still glad she heard of the first Chloromancer's quote saying that the Cosmic Secrets are open to all
    The Achyati and Qaijri were my favorite faction in 2.0. I hope that 3.0 and beyond continues on with their story. The beyond 3.0 might be more fitting though.

The Ashora part of them... huge meh.

Dendrome though? I loved it! Their village is atmospheric when you hang around it, they have very good quest dialogue, and I actually cared about their story from the minute I read that they rejected Laethys in order to willingly live in poverty (as opposed to grovel to her for riches).

*tear*

Plane Walker

their lore touches on Astrology I think, the branches of Primal, which is fairly new I believe and Karmic.

In Primal astrology the Rhinoceros is compared to the sign of Aries.

I took a screenshot today that seemed to show a little of Karmic beliefs too :)

Last edited by Mythue; 08-14-2013 at 02:07 PM.

Plane Walker

and I wonder how do you get images to show without having to follow a link?

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    The Ashora part of them... huge meh.

Dendrome though? I loved it! Their village is atmospheric when you hang around it, they have very good quest dialogue, and I actually cared about their story from the minute I read that they rejected Laethys in order to willingly live in poverty (as opposed to grovel to her for riches).

*tear*
    Yeah Nurjak Vostra looks like a camp site (even for druidic ogres). That is pretty common for Rift though. Achyati Village is a major improvement.

Plane Walker

others I would love to see more lore on are the Dawnkeepers, when I see them around I wonder to them, did you come from a Plane of Light?

what lore surrounds them now?

the ones I have seen seem human-like in appearance and mainly use bows.
    Last edited by Mythue; 08-16-2013 at 04:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread