+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Maeloda
  • 1 Post By Maeloda

Thread: Summary of Dragons so Far

Default Summary of Dragons so Far

I posted this on another thread, and didn't want it to get lost, so I made my own. It's in regards to the progression towards and the current state of the dragons, and a bit of where we're off to next I hope this is helpful to those who are starting off with trying to understand the story, and if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask!

~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyway, I'm going to go that they're 'dead dead'. As in, whatever story involvement each dragon would have (except Crucia and maybe maybe Regulos)... that's all we're gonna get. We may have a more expanded Blood Storm backstory at some point though.

My thoughts on how it went:

Greenscale - Trapped by Blood Storm Heroes and imprisoned in Stillmoor. Mathosians keep guard over the dread beast, likely encouraging both their faith in the Vigil and the curiosity of the hidden death cultists skulking around. Shade of Regulos happens, and strengthens the death bonds of Greenscale. Later on, Alsbeth takes over and grows the Endless Court more, strengthening the bond even more. Hylas comes and almost reaches Greenscale, but Ascended get there first. They kill Greenscale's guards and then Greenscale himself. Invisibly, motes are scattered throughout Mathosia continent of what remains of Greenscale's planar power (his mind and body are dead, but fragments of personality + magical power would remain). We collect these motes and purify them, increasing our factions' understanding of the Planes in the process.
    (The only threat of Greenscale was that Hylas was after him and Hylas' Life cultists were awakening him through their mere presence)
    Some motes made as far as Ember Isle, and we stop the planar being there from beginning to manifest as the new avatar of Life.

Akylios - Almost same deal as Greenscale, except Akylios was loosening his bonds gradually on his own. He was trapped by the Heroes too, and I think we can guess that Hammerknell was built on top of him like Caer Mathos was on Greenscale. Dwarves do some stupid shiz (runebinding, which makes me wonder if Akylios didn't plan this himself, by planting the runebinding idea in their minds..) and when the Shade happens, horrors and total demons break loose from all the collected Ghostbusting (Like this post if you get the story reference) going on having lead to disaster. Everyone dies or gets corrupted, but Scotty's daddy gave his life in making sure the gates of Hammerknell would be fully sealed. It seems it was a close secret that Akylios was imprisoned there, so the Abyssal work to find a being that knows where their master was imprisoned, and how to break down that gate. They seem to work with the Storm Legion and Endless Court to an extent with this, hinting that the respective dragons have larger goals (and may in fact want Akylios killed like Greenscale was).
    Ascended stop all this, raid Hammerknell, and kill the Abyssal leader and Akylios.
    Same deal - motes go everywhere and we collect and purify them.
    This one has the Water Saga, where the Guardian player is manipulated into being a new avatar of Water, or the Defiant player tries to stop the Faceless Man from becoming it. This takes us back to the story of the origins of the Abyssal and stopping their return, just as the Hammerknell raiders triggered their end.
    I think a being on Ember Isle tries some stuff there too.

Laethys - (Sketchy details here!) She was imprisoned in Charmer's Carcera, and the Storm Legion may have almost reached her if it wasn't for the Ascended (hmmm what was their goal?). Instead, her followers make a deal with the Wanton to carry her remains (molten gold/coins) to Ember Isle where they can resurrect her body in relative peace. They manage to more easily do this through the Travel Stones, but are harried by the Ascended along the way. She is half-reformed (but not weakened like Akylios and Greenscale were) but is killed by the Ascended. I think we can just assume that Mount Carcera is an enclosed enough space this time (somehow) that either not many motes made it out, or they weren't enough of a threat, or Trion just didn't want to deal with it this time. It's here where we first get any confirmation that the dragon's SOUL (not body or planar energy) goes to the Plane of Death to be devoured by Regulos at his whim, likely strengthening his power. If this happened to Laethys, this likely happened to Greenscale and Akylios.

1.0-1.11 might have been simply Regulos and Crucia making plays against each other. They both want the other dragons destroyed, but for other reasons and in other ways. Regulos wants them dead so he can devour their souls (River of Souls events and Alsbeth was clearly only a distraction that serves its purpose just by happening) and strengthen enough to fully breach the Ward again. Crucia instead only wants the other dragons dead to kill off the competition, and then she can brainwash the Ascended and muster a large enough force out of the Infinity Gate (Plane of Air?) to defeat Regulos herself.

Maelforge - Mostly same deal as Laethys. He's in a slumber (there are hints that Maelforge works in cycles of destruction then slumber while the world regrows, so he can burn it down again), and his cultists need to raise a clamor to get him going again, and they've been trying for some time (possibly necessitating co-operation with the Golden Maw in the process). Well, he wakes up and you kill him lol. No Dragon Motes to deal with this time too.

Crucia - Imprisoned under the lakes of Iron Pine, she actually just used this as part of her plan, and the Icewatch were unwitting servants of it. She waited for the right time, still sending messages to her followers, and they broke her out shortly after the events at Ember Isle. Her Legion has been working tirelessly on Brevane and Dusken this whole time, and she orders them to take the strong offensive again (in Cape Jule, Kingdom of Pelladane, etc). It appears that she was also the recent cause of Salverola's act against Brevane, if not the cause of his search for power itself, making him her servant and the one to break apart all civilization in that part of the world in short time (but the Awakened seem to be purely Life cultists, perhaps not even aware of Salverola's allegiance).
    At the end of a long road, the Ascended raid Crucia's HQ and face her. Towards the end of the fight, she reveals hints that there's much greater threats and that she, in fact, seems to believe that she's been shielding/veiling Telara from the attention of these greater threats while we've been busy butchering Lv 6 wolves. Now, nothing will protect Telara from Regulos and these greater threats from beyond....
    Or really? She actually does a mind transfer before her time of death (was this but one of her Xanatos Gambits?) and now fully possesses Queen Miela (whereas before she likely only had footholds created in her mind, placed by spies?). She takes off to lawd knows where. She has lost the bulk of her army and fleet, but there should be enough for her to present a threat in the future...

Regulos - Finally on this guy :P
    He used to be a death dragon. Just that. Like the other dragons, except what Crucia is now, and what Akylios became long ago (it's a hint that he used to be more dragon-like, but his madness was so powerful that he couldn't even keep that form - also hinting that the dragons keep a 'form', but they're really just physical shapeshifting of what they really are... collections of powerful corrupted planar energy).
    Anyway, he was just a dragon. Then he was banished to the Plane of Death, the last one after the rest got imprisoned. I forget the circumstances, but I believe his body may have been DEFEATED, but his 'soul' is 'eternal'. In order to keep it from recovering Voldemort style, the Heroes used magicks/tech to somehow banish it from Telara, set up the Ward to prevent him (and other planar armies) from returning, and because the pieces of Regulos are so powerful to extinguish in the meantime, hide them away in specific locations (like the Fang of Regulos in Black Garden, etc) and wait for their power to weaken, if they even do.

The Vigil knows this is a temporary plan, but the Ward buys time for everyone. The Eth rise then fall. The Kelari break off and start the Ember Isles. The Bahmi result from breeding with humans. The Mathosians rise and spread through most of the continent. The Elves lose a lot of land in the process, but maintain good relations with the humans and dwarves as fellow worshipers of the Vigil.

Then the Shade of Regulos events happen in Stillmoor. Regulos is NOT powerful enough to return as a full dragon, but he imparts Aedraxis with part of his power (making him the first known 'Avatar of Regulos'), linking him to him spiritually as well (they are 'both Regulos'). You see the more spectral Regulos dragon in the background because Regulos is half way to reforming - all he needs is Aedraxis to win the day and then gradually wipe out Telara, absorb the souls of the fallen mortals, and do the same to his fellow dragons. I'm not sure, but Aedraxis may have become this way due to having at least one Shard of Regulos in his possession, and it seems Orphiel was NOT aware of this (so far), but simply took this time as the chance to experiment on forbidden tech, in his over-zeal. (What I mean is that the Shards of Regulos are NOT from the Shade event happening, but rather may just play a role.)
    Last edited by Maeloda; 06-24-2013 at 09:40 PM.

Then when Aedraxis' body is shattered, the impact + the Death Rift + the Death Energies everywhere in the region exploded, harming many in the region (but many also survived). While the 'Light' exploded outward, so did the 'Darkness'/Death, leaving Stillmoor a bog of Death energy, and being so powerful a blast that Death energy spread through most of Mathosia and even so slightly to Ember Isle. The most affected were Stillmoor itself, Iron Pine Peak (some undead there and the Death zone event), Gloamwood (the place forever at least slightly tainted by Death), and Moonshade Highlands especially. Hammerknell in Moonshade is triggered, setting off the Death runes and dooming the delve. The result of the Shade of Regulos is a Mathosia that kinda exists but is pretty much reeling from the events, a Port Scion that's intact as the new united capital for a time, and a new Defiant faction that is widely distrusted but thanks to Asha's resurrection, starts gathering enough followers to concern and anger the Guardians, who are too stretched thin to properly safeguard Mathosian lands only by themselves.

Anyyyway, Regulos is then weakened even more. Failing in Stillmoor was NOT his plan. He is back to being an incorporeal spirit on the Plane of Death, and even when he tried to retrieve Asha's own spirit from the Soulstream and corrupt her/infuse her with his power (and turn her into his mistress... yes, Asha is first choice in everything, infuriating Alsbeth every time ), she was able to resist enough for Orphiel to snatch her away (proving the scope of magitech's power).

So Regulos does a few things:
    -Does something to corrupt Alsbeth instead. Either Alsbeth was a spy before (I'm not so sure...), or she wasn't, but he reaches her anyhow and she causes the Fall of Port Scion, breaking the city's Ward-strengthening magitech, and making a giant-*** Death Rift appear and kill everyone.
    -Uses her as an agent of discord in the meantime, to weaken all involved. She's NOT meant to be the next Avatar of Regulos, but instead is simply a tool to weaken all opposing forces, or manipulate others into exposing the dragons (Akylios in one case). She both fails him miserably (events in Freemarch, Stonefield, Gloamwood, Scarlet Gorge, Scarwood Reach, Moonshade Highlands, Stillmoor), yet also does exactly what he wanted (sow chaos, keep the Ascended OPPOSING EACH OTHER). She's the cause of the direct faction conflict, which is enough for Regulos to keep her alive a while, until River of Souls, where she fails him for the last time and is devoured. After this point, the factions very slowly heal the rift (heh) between each other, and now in Dendrome, NPCs are actively and peacefully having philosophical discussions at base camps
    -Capitalizes on the corruption of Kain the... (many names). Kain starts off fine but zealous in Stillmoor-Past, and ok in Scarwood searching for the Shards of Regulos, but by Iron Pine Peak he starts being corrupted by them, and in Stillmoor he begins cutting down his own men! He then fully embraces being Regulos' servant, but we defeat his mortal form on the zone event field of Stillmoor. He survives as undead and when Alsbeth dies, he takes on the full mantle of Avatar of Regulos and leader of the Endless Court (less human-undead than before because we keep cutting them down, but more monster-undead as we head into Storm Legion content).
    We stop Kain as he tries a boastful attack on Merdian and Sanctum, defeating whatever remains of his body, but now he's so much of an Avatar that he cannot be killed normally (at least as a solo-Ascended! He regenerates as an even stronger undead and escapes.
    We see that Kain is making trips to Seratos to secure the Nexus Key (I think that's its name) away from Crucia, because it opens the Infinity Gate (Court is now more 'on the run' from the Ascended, not on the offense). Through the quests, Crucia gets it anyway.
    -Last bit is with Kain and Regulos, both in the Endless Eclipse raid. While the Endless is now rather weakened from everything, with Crucia 'dead', they're the last major immediate known threat to Telara! We kill Kain fully this time, and then... Regulos appears. The other dragons have been filling his belly, so while he's not in his old dragon form, he's now something much... more? He's certainly all mutated and weird and Lovecrafty, kinda like the description of how Akylios became so twisted with madness himself.
    In fact... this Regulos is actually Greenscale(bloated)+Akylios(warped and weird)+Maelforge(many eyes, bulky)+Laethys(some sleekness to parts, same 'battle position'). Anyone else notice?
    Now we face the first god-like test of the Ascended. Because of Death magics (I think), we have entered a pocket into the Plane of Death itself, as Regulos begins to emerge from it finally. It is also more than it was before - and in fact harbors the souls of the deceased dragons in its belly. This isn't just a jailed dragon (Greenscale and Akylios) or a awakening dragon (Laethys and Maelforge) or a fully powered dragon (Crucia), but a mega-zord ultra demon dragon thingy that will wipe Telara out FAST if not cut off here.

So we do it. Regulos is killed on his own plane, the only way to kill him. As it is, we CAN safely assume that he's gone for good, and the souls he devoured are gone for good as well. If we killed him on Telara, that might be a different story. There might be story missing here though, and it's possible that the lore writers could shift things around so that Regulos returns at some point, in some fashion.

But yeah, the dragons are dead.
    T1 (Greenscale, Hylas, Alsbeth, Endless Court) showed that we're not just wandering adventurers on this Telara, but serious about this 'hero thing'.
    T2 (Akylios, Journou, Estrode, Molinar, etc) showed that we're actively working to liberate Telara/Mathosia from the Dragons' threat, not just Stillmoor.
    T3 (Maelforge, Laethys, Golden Maw leaders, Wanton leaders) showed that we're ready to be explorers and fully purge Telara of the Dragons. Ember Isle is the first of the Ascended's 'expeditions', discontent with sticking tight at home.
    *This marks the end of major story in Mathosia, now liberated by the Ascended and open for renewal*
    T4 (Crucia, Regulos, Kain, Storm Legion leaders, Shapers) showed that we're not just explorers, but we've approached the level of at least, at LEAST demi-god with our powers. We can defeat the most powerful known beings without them even being weakened in any way. And now, for the most part, the Dragons are DEAD (I mean in dragon form).
    The only possible way I could see them returning is if we get a mega Death raid with all the Dragons spit up by a somehow-surviving Regulos and we fight them all in monstrous zombie forms.
    T5 (?, Architects?, Crucia?, Life stuff?) will show that we're now done with the 'bonds' of Telara, and are ready to venture into the cosmos, finally. Ascended will have to face even greater beings in the shadows of the Planes (who even possibly used the Dragons as tools themselves? Who knows?), each other (if Conquest is at ALL foreshadowing), and more.
    T6 .... I dunno if this tier will exist or not, actually. For all we know, with the new raid mark system with F2P (existing marks convert the dungeon plaques with each new raid tier, doing a sort of 'reset' each time), we may not need a 'T3' of Storm Legion, but instead 'T6' will be right in the Plane of Water itself.
    *At any rate, around this point marks the end of at least most of the Telaran story. They may, and I hope they do, return with 'Planetouched Wilds', more empty spots/mysteries of the existing maps, and even a continent of Shi-Ming (NO PANDAS... at least as a race), but we're going to ignore that for a bit as we enter the Planes for realz*

NOTE: I realize that this glosses over much of the Storm Legion story, aside from Regulos details. I did this on purpose... Crucia's story isn't finished yet (and most of the leveling involves her in some way), and the Architect stuff isn't resolved. I'll wait at least until 2.4-2.5 before getting into it.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 06-24-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Ascendant

Laethys - (Sketchy details here!) She was imprisoned in Charmer's Carcera, and the Storm Legion may have almost reached her if it wasn't for the Ascended (hmmm what was their goal?). Instead, her followers make a deal with the Wanton to carry her remains (molten gold/coins) to Ember Isle where they can resurrect her body in relative peace. They manage to more easily do this through the Travel Stones, but are harried by the Ascended along the way. She is half-reformed (but not weakened like Akylios and Greenscale were) but is killed by the Ascended. I think we can just assume that Mount Carcera is an enclosed enough space this time (somehow) that either not many motes made it out, or they weren't enough of a threat, or Trion just didn't want to deal with it this time. It's here where we first get any confirmation that the dragon's SOUL (not body or planar energy) goes to the Plane of Death to be devoured by Regulos at his whim, likely strengthening his power. If this happened to Laethys, this likely happened to Greenscale and Akylios.
    Laethys was originally imprisoned within Charmer's Caldera, her body was melted into a molten pool of gold; which is the stuff you see in the final chamber.

Caelia originally went there to discover the location of the Charmer's Coil, an item that would allow them to plunder the minds of the eth and gain the knowledge hidden within.
    It was happenstance they found Laethys' prison, and Caelia spent her time taunting Laethys about her current state.

Then when the golden maw found her, they collected her remains in the forms of coins and jewels to help reform her "core" being.

Quote Originally Posted by Katosu View Post
    Laethys was originally imprisoned within Charmer's Caldera, her body was melted into a molten pool of gold; which is the stuff you see in the final chamber.

Caelia originally went there to discover the location of the Charmer's Coil, an item that would allow them to plunder the minds of the eth and gain the knowledge hidden within.
    It was happenstance they found Laethys' prison, and Caelia spent her time taunting Laethys about her current state.

Then when the golden maw found her, they collected her remains in the forms of coins and jewels to help reform her "core" being.
    Thanks for the clarification on stuff. I think Trion also did some level of light-retconning at some point, but not sure where I heard that.

It's kinda silly and sad how the Ascended discover so many things, but the Guardians/Defiants themselves give the impression of sitting on their butts not doing anything about it -_-. I mean guys, Laethys might be there, so um, send someone before the Golden Maw arrive? Guys?

Ascendant

Well, I think part of the problem is you arrive with not much of an idea whom she was speaking to at the time.
    Given there was a huge door you couldn't go past, I imagine they thought the coil was there and was best to leave things alone.

I do believe they acted on the Abyssal precipice since it is there they learn Akylios is in HK, and that they would be forced to open the doors to the dreaded place.

Quote Originally Posted by Katosu View Post
    Well, I think part of the problem is you arrive with not much of an idea whom she was speaking to at the time.
    Given there was a huge door you couldn't go past, I imagine they thought the coil was there and was best to leave things alone.

I do believe they acted on the Abyssal precipice since it is there they learn Akylios is in HK, and that they would be forced to open the doors to the dreaded place.
    Yeah I considered that, but then was like "WTF, there must be a reason. Go talk to an NPC about this!" lol

Actually good point about AP.

It's possible that Laethys was first conceived as a possible raid in Shimmersand or around there (what was that part about coins raining from the sky in 1.2? Was she in the sky somewhere?), but instead was made to be a bigger part of the Ember Isle chapter and Infernal Dawn raid.

Actually this would make total sense for them to do 0_0.

Life - Stillmoor
    Water - Moonshade (Moon = Water, Shade = Death)
    Fire - Ember Isle
    Earth - Shimmersand? But then this became bundled in with Infernal Dawn, maybe as they got into working on Storm Legion.
    Air - Iron Pine Peak? But then this (plus 'Planetouched Wilds' planning, etc) may have been totally expanded into what became the Storm Legion expansion.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 06-24-2013 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    In fact... this Regulos is actually Greenscale(bloated)+Akylios(warped and weird)+Maelforge(many eyes, bulky)+Laethys(some sleekness to parts, same 'battle position'). Anyone else notice?
    Now that you mention that about Regulos, I totally can see it now. Tentacles (Akylios also), fists (laethys also, think Phase 3), Glimpse mechanic (laethys), the ability to rip souls out of the soulstream (was this inherent or gleaned from Alsbeth? in river of souls) and use them to fight us.

I did have one question though and I wonder if the lore dev has moved away from this but when the Elves refer to the blood storm, they refer to them as lesser dragons.

Undone by greed

Each of the five lesser dragons saw in Telara the image of their own dreams and lusts, but Regulos, the mightiest, would not hear of leaving even a single world intact in his quest to devour all creation. The other dragons of the Blood Storm fell upon him, and as their battle tore the sky, Telara’s people rallied.
    Blood Storm Link on Rift Head

what do you think about that?
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

It's just a wording thing.

Regulos is the greater dragon, likely because he's been consuming entire planets before the Blood Storm even knew of Telara's existence.

Basically what seems to have happened is:
    -The Dragons are together, ensuring that a combined planar assault on a world can never be repelled (until Telara happened)
    -Regulos is 'King' over all, allowing the other planar dragons to do their thing, glean servants and resources from planets for a time and bring them to their respective Planes, etc
    -However, the deal seems to be that the dragons are
    a)kept alive (not killed by Regulos) as long as they do what he says
    b)not supposed to fight back when Regulos inevitably devours the planets they encounter. Regulos is the DESTROYER and he does not leave a world standing. The other dragons are not allowed to own planets on this 'nexus plane' for themselves, and Regulos grows increasingly powerful enough that rebellion would be difficult.

If anything, it was a charity that Regulos didn't turn on the other Dragons himself. Seems he was ok with their status as 'siblings' (we still don't know what force CREATED the dragons, and why they even took the form of dragons, and fought united), and to have the other Planes fight on his behalf, at least to an extent.

But what happened on Telara was that the 'lesser dragons' (Crucia is 'lesser' too) were manipulated by Crucia to turn against Regulos.
    -Maelforge was at the forefront of the rebellion, and was also the most violent
    -Laethys I think was the mate of Maelforge, so went along with him and provided resources
    -Akylios was part of the rebellion, but even still has unknown motives and its clear that he even creeped the other dragons out
    -Greenscale was a doofus soldier for the cause, but was simply just hungryyyyyy and wanted Telara for himself too

Crucia seems to be Regulos' old mate too, so it may have been a particularly brutal betrayal.

With the 5 dragons fighting against the 'greater' Death force on Telara (remember that Death stretched over all of Dusken at this time, and likely part of Brevane, and up to Mathosia), over time and attrition, this allowed the Blood Storm Heroes on Mathosia to lure/hunt the dragons to locations and trap them. With boastful Regulos as the last one, they were incapable of imprisoning him, so they seemed to have defeated his dragon body (if Rift was instead the old Heroes of Telara, the Dragon Regulos form would have been an ultimate raid boss) and banished his planarenergy+soul (aka his spirit) to beyond the newly established Ward.

Two theories come to mind though:

1)Why imprison the dragons? Was it always the plan to keep the dragons weakened and imprisoned, in order to deny Regulos the chance to devour their souls? In which case... cool, but as Ascended, we were kinda dumb in killing the dragons eh? Or maybe, in the case of the Guardians, that's what they Ascended are meant for all along: "It's time. The dragons can no longer be bound, so it is time to finally kill them and eventually face Regulos. Good luck." ?

2)Why..exactly... did Crucia start the rebellion? Was it just pure greed, which makes sense... or something else? I dunno, when it comes to her entire story, leading up to the raid dialogue with her... I get the sense that she's simply smart enough to see that Telara is a special world, above all worlds, that would be perfect to fuel her power and act as a staging ground for a "Storm Legion" (instead of Regulos' "Blood Storm"). So she wants it intact and everyone on it, eventually serving her. So she starts her plans hundreds of years ago, and even planned for things like Tempest Bay remaining standing, and the Ascended killing the other dragons, and even some of the faction conflict. Whatever plans Regulos has, hers are better - he just has more brute force power. (which is why she attempts to overcome that with better tech and larger armies)

Sure, she seems to hate that she was 'trapped' by Rothmann under the Iron Pine lake, but even then, it seems every setback was just a way for her to readjust plans to fit her vision. A vision of a 'united' Telara, but under her shadow, not the light of the Ascended.

Ok guess I explained it all myself

+ Reply to Thread