+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Are Regulos and the Defiants on essentially the same page? Lore questions too.

Default Are Regulos and the Defiants on essentially the same page? Lore questions too.

Regulos wants to eat Sourcestone and the Defiants burn it in order to use magiteck (if I understand the lore correctly). Does the Vigil see both as equally evil for the same reasons (destroying Sourcestone).

Can the dragons of the Blood storm eat anything other than Sourcestone? Will they parish if none becomes available?

Is Sourcestone renewable? Is it something that is never re-produced once it is gone? Where does it come from?

Do the Defiants defy the gods because they want to use Magiteck or do they use Magitech because they defy the gods (it seems to be the latter, but perhaps both reasons are true)?

They most certainly not.

Regulos isn't bent on eating sourcestone. He's bent on ending, anihilating, destroying, devouring everything, leaving nothing in he's wake. On the same note, the other dragons of the Blood Storm aren't on the same goal at all; they each want to shape the world in the form of their own. (Can't remmember names, but the fire one, for example, wants to burn everything down, let it grow again and burn it down again; Life one wants the whole world to be a jungle, where only the fittest and toughest survive... etc. etc.)

Nothing is known about sourcestone, apart from the fact it was used in the creation of Telara and it's also used to power the Defiant's machines, and for the Guardians to commune with the gods. (Unless I missed something?)

Now the Vigil sees the Regulos evil for an obvious reason... he wants to destroy them and everything they've created. They see the Defiants evil for a different reason though; for defying them. They take their sourcestone, a sacred material allowing them to comune with the Guardians to power machines they've banned long ago.
    The Defiants however, don't really care. They just use the sourcestones as a mean to fuel their machines, not in order to anger the gods but just because they need it to fuel them and they don't care what the gods think about it. They can handle it not only on their own, but even against the gods.

And that's the sum up of what I've understood. Please note some of this may be incorrect
    It is an ironic habit of human beings to run faster when we have lost our way.
    -Me? I am Someone, Somebody. Anybody. Anyone.

wasnt it available on the planes?

To answer this question:
    "Is Sourcestone renewable? Is it something that is never re-produced once it is gone? Where does it come from?"

The lore states that there was an abundance of sourcestone at the nexus of the planes and that the Vigil used it to shape and form Telara while drawing on the energies of the planes to give it life, water, fire, air , earth, and death. It is essentially the primal element from which everything in and on Telara is created. It is found in the Deep Strike Mines, so apparantly it can be mined, though I doubt that it is renewable.
    Last edited by Sylvrin; 10-02-2010 at 03:04 AM.
    Those who guard nature, guard life itself. Those who defile nature bring death and destruction upon us all.

If you read Telara Chronicles #1, you will see that Regulos and the Defiant are nowhere near the same page. Regulos is known as the Dragon God of Extinction, in that, his only goal seems to be the destruction of everything. The Defiant are opposed to that since without Telara, they would be dead.

The Defiant are opposed to the Vigil and those that follow them because, they felt abandoned by them. I'd hate to spoil the comic for you, but The Defiant have a deep animosity towards the Vigil and the Guardians who follow them. Their hatred stems from the Vigil resurrecting only those souls loyal to them, while leaving the others to rot and fester in the ether for decades. It was only when Orphiel (Asha's mentor) discovered how to use the sourcestones and Eth technology, that others were able to be resurrected through artificial means. When they realized how long they had been suffering and the fact that the Vigil had intentionally not helped them, they decided to take control over their own destiny and shun The Vigil entirely. It is those individuals that make up the Defiant today.

I hope that at some point the lore being released in the comic is put up on the main website as I don't buy comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Vell View Post
    Regulos wants to eat Sourcestone and the Defiants burn it in order to use magiteck (if I understand the lore correctly). Does the Vigil see both as equally evil for the same reasons (destroying Sourcestone).

Can the dragons of the Blood storm eat anything other than Sourcestone? Will they parish if none becomes available?

Is Sourcestone renewable? Is it something that is never re-produced once it is gone? Where does it come from?

Do the Defiants defy the gods because they want to use Magitech or do they use Magitech because they defy the gods (it seems to be the latter, but perhaps both reasons are true)?
    I look at it this way, though I could be wrong: The Sourcestone is energy. Energy can take many forms. Water has energy. Plants have energy. Even rocks have energy. Humans have energy.

Energy can never be destroyed. Energy can only be transformed. From what I've read of the lore, beneath the ground in Deepstrike Mines, harvesting for sourcestone continues. Since sourcestone is a rock - mineral, etc., it is alive with energy. Can it be renewed? Within the confines of Rift, I don't know.

However, if one compares sourcestone to diamonds, yes, it is a renewable source, though it does take certain properties including materials, pressure, heat and time to produce more. It is possible the usage of sourcestone is more than the ability to renew the sourcestone. Hence it becomes rare over time.

Even if the rock called sourcestone is finite, the energy of sourcestone can be changed through magitech (according to defiant) and used in different ways. Hence it's changed, but not destroyed. The Vigil used the energy to form Telara. The Bloodstorm used the same energy to destroy or cause death.

As a comparasion; take water. There is a cycle that changes the energies of water as it forms in the atmosphere, transforming into clouds and moisture, that transforms into rain that drops onto earth, that transforms into rivers and food for nature (trees, soil, grass, flowers, humans, etc) then transforms through evaporation rising into the atmosphere through heat, etc. etc. Simplified, I know, but hopefully you get the idea.

Magiteh is something the defiants have interest in order to save Telara. Combination of magic and technology of traditions and heritage of teachings and knowledge. Defiants and past peoples discovered sourcestone as a means for energy to use for their machinery to save Telara.

The Vigil also used sourcestone as energy when they made Telara. The Regulos and the Bloodstorm represent death. Death is the beginning of life. Life is the beginning of death. They are actually in balance with each other - one could not exist without the other.

Sourcestone, as I like to think of it, is an energy source to fuel life as well as death. Lore doesn't tell us how it appeared, where it came from and how its energy eventually became sourcestone. All it tells us is that the Vigil used it to form Telara and I suspect Regulous & Bloodstorm uses it to destroy to cause death of all that comes in contact with. I also suspect the planes were also formed using an energy that is part of the sourcestone. However, I'm conjecturing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kula View Post
    I hope that at some point the lore being released in the comic is put up on the main website as I don't buy comics.
    https://comics.comixology.com/#/issu...hronicles%20#0

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime....php?aid=38349

Once it is released, you can prolly google it. In the works are Telara Chronicles #0, 1-4. Only 0, 1 and 2 are definitely physical. #2 is expected to be released in about a month. Most comics are released on a monthly basis.

From what I understand, there will also be a comic novel, but don't know if it's on the drawing boards or just some board room thinking at this point in time.
    Last edited by Jorun; 10-02-2010 at 11:37 AM.

+ Reply to Thread