+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Luteuel
  • 1 Post By ilex011
  • 1 Post By Maeloda

Thread: Do characters remember their past life?

Default Do characters remember their past life?

So seems to me from what I am reading so far... The defiants have kind of been brought back to life via technology..

Are they all aware of their previous life/adventures?

I would say yes. Take Asha Catari, the first defiant brought back by Orphiel, still has her identity and I would assume remembers being the last heir to the Catari Eth tribe.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

Yes, they remember, though the lore is just vague enough for some wiggle room on how individual players want to handle it. Some people choose to roleplay their characters without their old memories, or with different memories from their other souls, or with the memories from ALL of their souls fighting for dominance.

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

Memory loss (and a lot of other mind-plagues, such as paranoia, split personality, depression, anger issues...) are not uncommon to the ascended. Some may remember fragments, such as their name and mayhaps where they used to live, some might not have a clue and some might not be affected on the memory. All sorts of stuff in terms of the mind having it's way with the ascended seems to be perfectly viable if not pretty common.
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

Yes, they do remember, but to what extent is your choice for your char.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

Quote Originally Posted by Luteuel View Post
    I would say yes. Take Asha Catari, the first defiant brought back by Orphiel, still has her identity and I would assume remembers being the last heir to the Catari Eth tribe.
    Just to clarify, but Asha is a special case. Asha has:
    -mortality (she doesn't have 'soul walk' etc... she can die again)
    -she's more a REALLY well done resurrection of the living/retrieval of souls from the Plane of Death and the Soulstream, than Ascended itself. It's Sylver years later that takes Orphiel's work and develops proper Ascension from souls in the Soulstream.
    -no souls stuck inside her... it's just her
    -superpowered warlocky powers (she was a warlock but being touched by Regulos' power, yet rejecting it's influence, means she is more powerful over Death than most mortals)
    -superpowered planar powers in general, it seems. Her being eternally attuned to the Plane of Death may mean she has greater power over the Planes in general, than most other mortals.

Ascended have:
    -near total immortality (unless utterly crushed in mind, body, AND especially soul). We can only 'die' from specific tech, or if our minds were crushed and we're mindless servants, or we're super evil-planar corrupted to the point that we're less 'Sourcestone Ascended' and more 'Planar Demi-god' (Alsbeth, but even she was ended because her soul was sent to Plane of Death instead of Telara, and thus was devoured by Regulos), or we die so many times without tech/holy healing that we become wandering spirits without a vessel to manifest as.
    -up to 3 souls stuck inside us at any point, but a roster of 9+ souls to choose to 'attune' to
    -attuning to these souls give us superpowered versions of all the powers that those souls had (our power doesn't have a 'cap' like the actual Blood Storm Heroes likely had, as mortals)
    -very clearly superpowered planar powers

Just saying Asha is like the beta testing of what would lead to Ascended, not an Ascended herself . It's only her force of will, training, and embrace of her powers that puts her toe-to-toe with other Ascended and any of their enemies. She's symbolic of the whole theme of Defiants not needing to be 'fully blessed' - they reach success with 'their own two hands!', even if it means a harder battle uphill. The Guardians have all Ascended leaders to show instead that they're the chosen ones and most proven (remember all of this is in eye of beholder!) to not just 'save Telara', but be more worthy of being its protectors, rulers, and nurturers.

Ok back on topic - Asha isn't a great case example because she's more like an undead that isn't undead, and Ascended that isn't Ascended. We can't transpose her experience onto 'actual' Ascended we play as.

However, the Ember Isle 1.6 trailer clearly shows Trion's intentions. It shows a Kelari that dies on Ember Isle a short while in the 'past' from Wanton invasion, but then she/her host soul awakens in Terminus 20 years in the 'future', then she heads through the time machine to the 'present' and does all the Lv 1-50 heroic things, and then she meets Anthosia Mona and they seem to make plans to go to Ember Isle (due to the events in the patches and Travel Stone world event?), and then she returns to Ember Isle as an Ascended and works to liberate her remaining homeland (the other Fire Islands being sunken by Akylios' waves) from the Wanton.

That's not proof she remembers everything, sure, but you can easily take it as meaning that she is intentionally returning to Ember Isle because she remembers the circumstances of her death. There is also the old... I think Boar Spear or other short story... where a criminal is brought back as Guardian, doesn't really feel affinity for the Vigil, but remembers his old life and I think how he can do better in this one... or something :P

Quote Originally Posted by Viscol View Post
    Yes, they remember, though the lore is just vague enough for some wiggle room on how individual players want to handle it. Some people choose to roleplay their characters without their old memories, or with different memories from their other souls, or with the memories from ALL of their souls fighting for dominance.
    I wouldn't say that memoryloss/etc should be the 'default' in roleplay, but the roleplay instead opens up to those possibilities. Other things that one is more able to do more easily in Rift than in say, I dunno, WoW, are:
    -faction switching
    -race/gender change (hehe - we're sourcestone constructs after all!) or mixups
    -ability to technically be ANY class.. again in roleplay. The Warrior/Mage/Cleric/Rogue callings are more for gameplay purposes, but you can technically be whatever you want in the lore as long as there is a 'soul' for it... just pretend it.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 06-24-2013 at 11:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread