+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Maeloda
  • 1 Post By Jeremius

Thread: What happened to Zealotry?

Shadowlander

Default What happened to Zealotry?

So, F2P. A great opportunity to come back and take another look at Rift. The trouble is I'm a little concerned that some of my characters are somewhat stuck in Telara's past and no longer fit the world. They're Guardians you see, "Guardian" Guardians. Devout Vigil loving heretic hating ascended utterly convinced of their divine purpose in service to their gods and no tolerance what so ever for those wicked blasphemous Defiants and their sick twisted and dangerous practices.

But things seem to have changed and I'm not quite sure what or how it makes sense in the lore, or even what the lore now is regarding the old grudges between the factions. Now that Guardians and Defiants can join each others guilds and group up with one another, how is this reflected in game?

Are the two factions at some sort of peace? Is there some sort of cease-fire in effect? Was there perhaps a divine dictate from the Vigil decreeing that henceforth Guardians would have to get over themselves and work with the Defiant? Or does the co-operation between factions only extend to Ascended champions far from the eyes of their factions leaders?

What exactly is going on lore wise?

So the vigil was displeased with magitech that the Eth used due to it manipulating sourcestone directly.

The empyrean tech was okay with the Vigil because it did not manipulate sourcestone directly and the Defiants deemed this better tech than the Eth's version.

Defiants and Guardians also thought, if we are going to conquer Crucia and Reggie, we need to hold hands in doing so.

There is a little RP at the beginning of Endless Eclipse that speak to it and some quest lines throughout SL try and explain the truce.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

Zealots (not just talking about Ascended people) still exist. It's just that they're being pushed out of the way while the others co-operate and even adventure together in Storm Legion.

1.0 - Factions largely at odds with each other. First with pitched battles around Port Scion and Scarlet Gorge (reduced since the PvP stuff was removed). Then the tense atmosphere in Scarwood Reach, Moonshade Highlands, and Droughtlands. The factions have areas in Iron Pine, Shimmersand, and Stillmoor to both fight the invaders, but also preach their ways to the local northerner/southerner populations. They're very opposed, but have more neutral areas where they may put down arms (justifying 'PvE' shards, lorewise). This is the Rift you're talking about here, with 'What happened to the Zealotry?'. Times change.

1.1 - River of Souls event. The factions still fight, but the top leaders temporarily semi-cooperated in order to reach Caer Mathos and the River of Souls magical portal. Asha and Cyril would still be at each others' throats if they had the chance, but between Greenscale and Alsbeth, they're starting to realize that there's greater threats.

1.2 - No change, just a new Sliver to show how Telara could hypothetically fall.

1.3 - Individuals of each faction begin to work together in order to end the Abyssal Cult (Faceless Man) and reclaim Hammerknell (Scotty and Borrin). This may be the first major time since Port Scion that people of each faction put down arms in order to focus on a larger goal. Hammerknell thus represents the beginning of *actively* purging the 'deathly' sabotage of faction relations that happened with Alsbeth's sabotage of Port Scion. The factions are still fighting though, but we now know that the leadership may work together, once again, when needed.

1.4 - No change, just Water Saga and Dragon Mote event, which doesn't really involve cross-faction story from what I remember. And a sliver again.

1.5 - Travel Stone event, showing that the cults themselves may unify (not just make deals like seen in the leveling content) in order to stop the Ascended. And a Chronicle in Meridian and Sanctum to show that the cults could quickly destroy the capital cities if given the chance. And another Chronicle to show an alternate/additional story of Greenscale's Blight raid story, with Shyla (Guardian), Dacia (Defiant), Atrophinius (Planar), and 1-2 players (Ascended) working together to kill Greenscale, even as Shyla and Dacia trade barbs with one another.

1.6 - Ember Isle zone. The factions are still separated during this, and have their own questlines (I know my Defiant storyline had to do with Anthosia and Sylver). However, the quests unify into a single Keeper hub. The Keepers are made of both Dwarves and Kelari that wish a protected Ember Isle together, showing cooperation between two races of opposing 'sides'.

1.7 - No change, just River of Souls Chronicle and Weddings (not cross faction).

1.8 - This was the big trigger. Another story-progression world event occurs, the War of the Wanton Maw, happens. Its questline (which still exists in-game, like the Life/Death and Water Sagas) ends with Asha and Cyril in a dangerous situation and having a talk on how it may be useful or needed to work together against the planar threat for now. I suppose this then leads, storyline wise, to the Infernal Dawn raid where the Ascended kill Laethys and Maelforge.

1.9 - The faction stuff here is the Conquest addition. It muddies the waters by introducing 3 more dimensional factions that contain both player factions.

1.10 - This patch is the other big one. It brings the cross faction gameplay for PvE. It takes the developments from River of Souls to Hammerknell to a Chronicle to Infernal Dawn/War of the Wanton Maw in order to justify the factions at least individually agreeing to sometimes put down arms in order to unite against common foes. I suppose it would have fit better as simultaneously with an Infernal Dawn release though.

1.11 - This brings the Tempest Rising world event with Queen Miela arriving from Brevane to beg for help, from both factions, to stop the planar forces now totally destroying their lands (Earth with Architects and Ashoran waste, Death with Dusken and Ashoran undead, Air with Storm Legion and its enslavement of Fire and more, and kinda Life with Greenscale's Crater were threats, but the Life explosion by Salverola in the Brevane continent took all control away from them).
    Onward to the Storm Legion expansion, together.

~~~~~~~

2.0 - In the Dusken continent there isn't much cross-faction story. The factions are camped out in Pelladane but kinda do their own thing (a bit Sylver and Borrin) and don't step on each others' toes. The story then heads into the wastes of Seratos and Morban, focusing more on the Caretakers there, with no one from the factions present. Even in Steppes of Infinity, it's more the full force of the Caretakers having joined you, not Guardians/Defiants themselves.

In the Brevane continent it's a different story. The factions set up camp in Cape Jule and join the other Brevanic survivors there. They send out expedition parties, and you follow their journey first through City Core. There, you see Guardian and Defiant characters debating on their respective philosophies, while trying to survive in this wrecked land. Eastern Holdings, Ardent Domain, and Kingsward then takes the story fully to the Brevanic people though, like on the other continent. And in Ashora, it's all about those ogre people just trying to make a life. The faction story fully takes a back seat, content to just communicate that 'hey they dislike each other but enough of them are now willing to work together in this dangerous land'.
    The Frozen Tempest raid isn't about the factions, but more hints at the planes and the Ascended themselves, at most.

2.1 - Endless Eclipse raid, where there is some elements of faction co-operation. Sorry though, I haven't done it yet.
    And a Chronicle which focuses again more on Ascended working with Brevanic forces, not Guardians/Defiants.

2.2 - This just has the new Carnival of the Ascended (which both factions now celebrate together in Tempest Bay) and hard modes of current raids.

2.3 - The new Dendrome Zone has some store here. In the Empyrean Alliance storyline and quest/rep hub, we see a now fully formed and solidly organized Guardian+Defiant+Brevanic expedition, led by the now leader of Tempest Bay (while the Caretakers begin to heal Dusken and newly established Queen and King of Brevane begin to heal Brevane).

There we see everyone now gladly working together, and I THINK I saw the two NPCs from City Core, who were more adversarial before, now discussing more friendly how they use their various methods (Vigil power, Magitech) to achieve their common goals. Dendrome seems to very much be about the forces of Telara now actively taking back the land and making it their own (with the Strongholds feature), not just defending it against invasions (Onslaughts, Rifts, and Footholds).

That's where we are now I have hopes that the future of Rift returns Guardians and Defiants to the story in a bigger way, but for now we're just people helping a more neutral faction in making sure that Telara is secure enough to survive us venturing the planes ;)

To more exactly answer your questions though:

They're Guardians you see, "Guardian" Guardians. Devout Vigil loving heretic hating ascended utterly convinced of their divine purpose in service to their gods and no tolerance what so ever for those wicked blasphemous Defiants and their sick twisted and dangerous practices.
    -You can still be this. There are still Guardians that can have highly angered words against this alliance in Brevane, and want to keep onto (what are now, after months or possibly short years since the point where the game started) the old ways.
    I would sure hope that Trion doesn't forget about Brother Jebiah, nor the Vigil's positioning of the Guardians TO be against the machineborn and their ways. Faction conflict IS good in a story, even if cross-faction happens at the same time.

Now that Guardians and Defiants can join each others guilds and group up with one another, how is this reflected in game?
    -Yep, just explained this in the post above
    1)Greenscale Blight chronicle
    2)River of Souls world event
    3)Hammerknell world event
    4)Ember Isle quests
    5)War of the Wanton Maw world event
    6)Storm Legion quests and world events

Are the two factions at some sort of peace?
    -Not exactly. You can be pretty sure that there's of all kinds.
    1)Those now actively wanting peace (especially those like the NPCs in Dendrome that have now spent weeks protecting each others' hides, and are starting to understand each others' point of view).
    2)Those who simply want the corrupted Planar beings stopped and Telara to be saved (the faction leaders were always this, and considered the faction conflict to just be necessary in order to advance their goals, with pure motives).
    3)Those who still actively despise the other faction and will undercut the alliance whenever possible. PvP Warfronts still happen because there is no actual peace when the prize is contestable.

Is there some sort of cease-fire in effect?
    -Not in the strictest sense. They won't fight each other when danger rears its head. Nor will they make things harder on the Lycini/Brevanes by killing each other in Tempest Bay. But in the open field, they won't be jailed or anything for taking arms against each other. This is a specific alliance, not a treaty pact!

Was there perhaps a divine dictate from the Vigil decreeing that henceforth Guardians would have to get over themselves and work with the Defiant?
    -No, and this is concerning. If Trion has the balls, I'd say they should show the Vigil in later content HIGHLY disapproving that a good number of Guardians are trying to justify working with the Defiants. Yes, it was attempted before at Port Scion, but even then the Guardians stuck to their guns that the Defiants (they had no Ascended there and Asha is a special sort of being) were monsters doing terrible acts and should have been killed if it wasn't the protection magitech was offering Port Scion from the rifts.

It's also possible that the Vigil had a long...long view and eventually did want every Telaran to work together, or something. Whatever, it's a possibility.

Or does the co-operation between factions only extend to Ascended champions far from the eyes of their factions leaders?
    -Not exactly. For the most part, the Ascended are increasingly becoming 'free agents'. Affiliated with their originating faction (Defiant created in the future, or Vigil created in the past), but by now we can decide to RP whatever way we want. Do we want to be a moderate, apathetic, or fanatic for our faction? Do we want to faction SWITCH? Do we want to transcend the factions and just work on our own, but send out goods to Meridian/Sanctum?

It's kinda up to us now. The Merc system in PvP even makes more sense now in-lore.

But for now, Asha and Cyril (etc) aren't about to open their gates to each other. They still have specific tenets and conflicting philosophies that keep factions from actually uniting, and imo they always should.

Shadowlander

Wow! That was a pretty comprehensive overview of everything I missed. Thank you for taking the time to post that. I think I have a much better idea of what's what in the lore and where the factions are.

I think I'll still hold to my IC prejudices since it doesn't make much sense to me to have a pair of religious fanatics suddenly change their minds overnight, but I think I'll try to keep their particular bigotry muted to reflect that it's not so popular a sentiment any more. Suffice to say inevitably the Defiant will mess up, their charade will be exposed and I'll get to run around shouting "I told you they were evil".

Thanks again Maeloda and Luteuel for your efforts. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterPestz View Post
    have an event 1day for free race and faction change! c'mon rift
    Seeing as how the first Chronicles was actually based on the first 1.0 raid (Greenscale) and the ending of Lv 50 questing (Attunement Chronicle), I could see them (maybe maybe) adding in race/faction (especially faction) betrayal story/instance/questline in a patch and offer free faction changes during this period . Like another version of 'retroactive plot' like the Chronicle was!

Is it likely though? No, not at all.

But it would be damn cool and get *cough* WoW fans perhaps a bit ruffled. I just love the concept of faction betrayal is all

+ Reply to Thread