+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: The lore has moved.

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

Default The lore has moved.

It would seem that they decided the Lore isn't important enough to keep on the riftgame.com site, it's now been moved to Rifthead, in some tiny sub-category. About as hidden as it could ever be.
    One of the things that made me fall in love with Rift, was that the lore was right there, on the website - I didn't have to order home a chain of books, I didn't have to seek out a million forum posts and visit a million pages, everything I needed to know to start with my RP was right there.
    It's been so nice to be able to say to newcomers, that much of what they needed to know was right in plain sight.

Now it's not right there, it's hidden on another site which sure is linked to on Riftgame, yes, but there's not even a slight hint that you can hear more about the story there. I know people might be able to think that the lore is going to be there, but it doesn't exactly scream "Here, we're proud of our story, please enjoy it"
    More than anything, the impression I get now is that, yeah there's some story.. But who cares go shoot things.

It makes me worried about the future, I've seen a lot of lore-related people disappear, in-between SL and now it feels like we've not really been given much new. The lore Q/A seemed to spread more confusion than clarity, must you really tie the game mechanics to the story so closely?
    Why aren't we seeing more books? Is there no one writing things like the Boar Spear anymore? Has lore really been down-prioritized because the metrics dictate that players do not have the patience or care enough to sit down and read about the world we're in?

I really feel like this is a step back. I know, I myself am in the long-winded process of making a wiki just for the lore, so you might wonder why I am so bothered by this - but the wiki I am building is made to speak more to roleplayers, to give them a sense of the ups and downs and some focus on the fan-on/RP modifications that has been created through time to make up for the lore's own short-comings.

Take it as my feedback to the changes on the website and just the lore as of recent in general, feel free to add your own, I just needed to get it out of my head.

*flail*
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

amen to this. It really does feel like Rift lore is an afterthought, but I think that is the result of having just 1 Lore dev and the rift team requiring him to work on 2.4 thru 3.0. I imagine that they get a skeleton story together and then just barely flesh it out to work on the next updates and expansions.

I'm still a fan of the lore in Telara, I just long for more of it.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

This is depressing

Plane Walker

Is there a link to where it has moved to? I could not find it at Rifthead, Maybe this link can stay on top on this subforum along with the question and answer series that have been done.

I wish it was still here too. The lore, the story, just seems to become even more scattered now, though perhaps this is how they wish it?

and..

Is there any lore written on this new update like they wrote with Storm Legion?

Plane Walker

ps. Is Wiki Rifthead part of Trion?

and I found the Lore..

http://community.riftgame.com/en/201...-the-dendrome/
    Last edited by Mythue; 06-13-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Plane Walker

and I found the Lore..

http://community.riftgame.com/en/201...-the-dendrome/

or maybe not... *sighs*

Plane Walker

There is this now

http://www.rifthead.com/lore

which still lists places, planes and history, but seems to be missing other things that were here before
    Last edited by Mythue; 06-14-2013 at 03:42 AM.

I do find lore is in a sad state.

Games like WoW have lore everywhere.
    Games like Guild Wars 2 HAVE lore, you just need to look for it or go on Wikis.
    Games like Rift have little lore and it's hard to find.

The best places for lore is books and story quests, but they leave so many answers. It clearly shows that Trion doesn't have lore in place and most of it is being made up as they go.

It's a shame, because the Rift "world" has a lot of potential.

I know I have said this before but I feel it is something that bears repeating. Rift is a game where they go all out on developing content (game mechanics, beautiful areas, cool bosses, and such). They write the lore details to fit the content, they do not develop content based solely on a strict lore bible.

That is why the the game is so much fun but often the lore can be little sparse in some areas or densely packed in others. We are just lucky they are have a good team that can create a really good dynamic story based on a loose overarching storyline.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

This makes me super sad

The lore and setting of Telara is unique and interesting. If the lore pages hadn't been around I and several of my friends probably never would have signed up. I really, really hope they re-add it to the actual site. Cutting content is crappy.

WTB more lore, tipping well.

(lore books now in cash shop, $5! hahahaaa! )
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilex011 View Post
    WTB more lore, tipping well.

(lore books now in cash shop, $5! hahahaaa! )
    If that would make them make more and better lore, I would buy those books, and I'm not even kidding you.
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

Ascendant

yes its sad. I always enjoyed reading through each souls story on the website, that is all gone now

well, except for the mage ones which I saved, for now
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailaq View Post

tl;dr - Trion should do this: Melee = Turret Ranged > Mobile Ranged

Quote Originally Posted by Talila View Post
    It would seem that they decided the Lore isn't important enough to keep on the riftgame.com site, it's now been moved to Rifthead, in some tiny sub-category. About as hidden as it could ever be.
    One of the things that made me fall in love with Rift, was that the lore was right there, on the website - I didn't have to order home a chain of books, I didn't have to seek out a million forum posts and visit a million pages, everything I needed to know to start with my RP was right there.
    It's been so nice to be able to say to newcomers, that much of what they needed to know was right in plain sight.

Now it's not right there, it's hidden on another site which sure is linked to on Riftgame, yes, but there's not even a slight hint that you can hear more about the story there. I know people might be able to think that the lore is going to be there, but it doesn't exactly scream "Here, we're proud of our story, please enjoy it"
    More than anything, the impression I get now is that, yeah there's some story.. But who cares go shoot things.

It makes me worried about the future, I've seen a lot of lore-related people disappear, in-between SL and now it feels like we've not really been given much new. The lore Q/A seemed to spread more confusion than clarity, must you really tie the game mechanics to the story so closely?
    Why aren't we seeing more books? Is there no one writing things like the Boar Spear anymore? Has lore really been down-prioritized because the metrics dictate that players do not have the patience or care enough to sit down and read about the world we're in?

I really feel like this is a step back. I know, I myself am in the long-winded process of making a wiki just for the lore, so you might wonder why I am so bothered by this - but the wiki I am building is made to speak more to roleplayers, to give them a sense of the ups and downs and some focus on the fan-on/RP modifications that has been created through time to make up for the lore's own short-comings.

Take it as my feedback to the changes on the website and just the lore as of recent in general, feel free to add your own, I just needed to get it out of my head.

*flail*
    That's why they nerfed starting zones, for wow type people that just care about getting things/gear progression and fight machanics, who think interaction and immersion are stupid.

The story is what its all about its why your doing it. I'm worried the game is turning into pure function and losing asthetics.

Its slowly also being dumbed down to the point that the class system will eventaly be done away with and presets will be all your allowed.

In other words adapted for idiot wow players that could not give a flip about story. Or doing neat little things like you used to have to earn your souls and it fit into your characters story and personal character lore.

Guess that's stupid and pointless eh? Like you said just rush through it and start shooting stuff.
    Truth is Beauty, Beauty Truth..

Champion

Default Why is this always a thing?

for wow type people that just care about getting things/gear progression and fight machanics, who think interaction and immersion are stupid.
    In other words adapted for idiot wow players that could not give a flip about story.
    Look, I'm not trying to single anyone out here (I'm truly not, and apologies to Questoften for quoting to show an example), but throughout this forum, this is the type of comment that's just sad. It's as if many people blame every change in Rift that they don't personally like on the WoW playerbase, many of whom come here to enjoy Rift on its own merits, and not to try to change it in any way.

Yeah, I play WoW, and I played it long before I ever knew Rift existed and I still like WoW--and you know what, I can like and play Rift too. I can like and appreciate the storyliine in both games. I can be distressed about the lack of immersion in both games, because let's face it, there are changes in both games that have killed immersion at times. Can everyone just get over comparing the two games and vilifying the WoW playerbase?

I found this thread looking for information about what happened to the lore that used to be on the main Rift site, and it's sad that it's been moved to Rifthead...sorry, but that site is just not user friendly, and there's just not a lot of reason to go there in my opinion. I don't know whether the lack of usefulness and/or information there is because the tools Trion puts out for site builders don't have enough data in them or if there's some other reason, but there it is. I'm very sad that the lore has been removed to an offsite location; it was awesome the way it was. The layout, the pictures, the content--it was part of the Rift experience, and it makes no sense to me that it's not on the main Rift site.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast