+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Elves

Soulwalker

Default Elves

Not sure if this is somewhere in all this general mess of the forums but I can never find anything I look for so here it is. Maybe you all can help or a dev and pipe up.

On the history page of the rift site is gives the impression that the elves separated into High Elves and Kelari after the blood storm was defeated and the ward put up(1500 years ago). But in a Lore Q&A, Found here it says int he answer to the very last question that
    The Kelari began to change physically from their High Elf cousins as soon as they began to live on Kelari isle 1600 years ago but it has been a gradual process over centuries
    which is one hundred years before the Blood storm hit based on the time line information Trion had put out.

Which is it or when or am I getting my reading confused somewhere? Is there something I am missing? Pleas be nice no rudeness or anything needed.

Plane Walker

This might explain it, that for years 100 or more? they operated in secret within High Elven society..

perhaps just not named Kelari as yet?

For years, they operated in secret within High Elven society, forming pacts with powerful spirits and lesser gods. These cabals were exposed, and the resulting bloody struggle nearly consumed the Elves from within. Finally, under flag of truce, the High Priestess Isidora led her people from the ancient Elven homeland, to settle on a tropical archipelago.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/races/defiant/kelari.php
    Last edited by Mythue; 06-12-2013 at 03:42 AM.

RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar

I'm with Mythue on that one, it seems like they took into account that the Kelari existed in secrecy for a while before the separation happened. It could easily have been 100 years, seeing as elves and kelari live on average for 300 years.
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

Plane Walker

AT the beginning of things did all elves belong to the House Aelfwar?

Soulwalker

Default Discussion, Elves age and immortality?

Hey folks I have a few questions for the community and need answers regarding Kelari and High Elf lore. I have scanned the interwebs for a distinct answer to the question, Do the elf races age? Are they immortal? What is the lifespan? And is it possible for a Kelari or High Elf to have not been ascended and live untill current times being a gifted mage at birth and developing their skills naturally? Please if someone could answer this question I will <3 you forever!! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by killsforcash View Post
    Hey folks I have a few questions for the community and need answers regarding Kelari and High Elf lore. I have scanned the interwebs for a distinct answer to the question, Do the elf races age? Are they immortal? What is the lifespan? And is it possible for a Kelari or High Elf to have not been ascended and live untill current times being a gifted mage at birth and developing their skills naturally? Please if someone could answer this question I will <3 you forever!! Thanks!
    Elves live ~300 year life spans on average... The rate of aging is not mentioned in the lore. All player created characters are ascended.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    I could be wrong but, House Aelfwar (Prince Hylas doing) didn't come about until after Shyla was slain and then ascended.

at the beginning all elves had a pact with the Gods to be stewards over Telara, but no name was given until Prince Hylas's corruption.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

Hi!

Yes they age.
    No they are not immortal.
    Lifespan is roughly 300 years.
    I would think not but I would not tell you that you should not RP your char that way if it makes you happy. Other RPers may be skeptical though.
    Faeblight
    ilexx: lvl 60 High Elf Necromancer/Chloro
    RIFT 3.0 incoming soon... get ready for some surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thitizen View Post
    Helicopters? Tesla Coils? Skrillex?

I just wanted to pop in to say how much I love all elves, ascended elves even more, they are truly immaculate to me.
    Truth is Beauty, Beauty Truth..

Quote Originally Posted by Mythue View Post
    (I could be wrong with any of the following)

I believe 'House Aelfwar' is but a royal clan of the elves of Silverwood. At this point in time, almost all remaining elves lived in Silverwood too - the rest given way to Mathosians, Dwarves, and some Eth.

It seems that in the more ancient age of the Mathosian continent, the dwarves lived almost purely underground, and they possibly warred with the elves who lived in the land. The elves, on their part, were the most 'spread out' race in Telara's history, but they DID have watchposts/towers, sanctuaries of forest life, temples, and even royal houses.

After the Blood Storm War and the Eth and Mathosian rises and failures, only House Aelfwar stood strong. Believing himself superior to the Ascended who by their own existence, were proof that they died in battle, Prince Hylas (with the help of corrupted fae starting to whisper in his ear over the years) decided to finally totally forsake Vigil worship and start a 'crusade' against the Ascended factions and other cults, in the bid to obtain Greenscale's power.

At first he seemed to be under Fae Lord (one of many, just one of the few on Telara itself) Twyl's wings, but he actually easily abandoned him and took leadership of the surviving fae on Mathosia as well. Together the fae, Aelfwar leaders, and their brainwashed (through spores, etc) elven servants sped towards Stillmoor.

Once upon a time, the elves very likely had territories, and even other 'Houses' in:
    -Silverwood
    -Moonshade Highlands
    -Gloamwood
    -Scarwood

Several other zones may have had at least some influence as well. I think their distinguishing detail was that they were so spread out and the majority of population chose to wander and protect the land, which meant that once 'civilization' (Eth/Mathosian) came knocking, their way of life gradually fell apart.

The important question for lore writers to answer is: why give Mathosia to both the Elves and Dwarves, but two continents (Brevane and Dusken) to just Humans? What's so important about them, or less important about the Elves and Dwarves? Or is there another continent that we haven't visited yet, which has Elves and/or Dwarves? Does Shi-Ming (referenced in a lore book) exist as, for example, a place of 'Asian-inspired' Elves?

-Yes they age, very slowly. "May you live a thousand years." is a saying that pertains to Ascended, but its origins can be assumed to belong to the elves, so we can go with 1000ish as a healthy lifespan of an elf, unless they perhaps used special magics to extend that.

-It is very possible. Anthosia Mona, current leader of the Kelari arrived on Freemarch only a short time ago before the '1.0 questing' time. Likewise, one could imagine a very old Kelari that stayed on Ember Isle long enough to be 'mutated' by the energy there, but then for some reason taking a small boat to Mathosia and living there until present day.
    For Elves, its also possible.

If you're wondering if you could RP AS one of these mortals, then sure, but you'll have to forget about many of your Ascended abilities in RP. It's much easier, I'd imagine, to just RP as Ascended.

I'm pretty sure there's no mortal alive that remembers the Blood Storm War. Maybe some elves, maybeee.

Quote Originally Posted by Luteuel View Post
    I could be wrong but, House Aelfwar (Prince Hylas doing) didn't come about until after Shyla was slain and then ascended.

at the beginning all elves had a pact with the Gods to be stewards over Telara, but no name was given until Prince Hylas's corruption.
    From lore article:

There has always been a cult of Greenscale, though it was not always called House Aelfwar. Once, the name Aelfwar stood for the eternal devotion and untarnished honor of the High Elven royal house. But when Shyla Starhearth led the Elven people to fight in the Mathosian Civil War, Prince Hylas of Aelfwar stayed behind with his court, refusing to meddle in the affairs of men.

So yeah, Aelfwar always existed. I'd imagine it's a more 'martial' house of the elves, especially so since the Blood Storm War. It likely stood strong while other Houses, maybe more peaceful and pacifistic (Shyla's personality comes to mind) fell to corruption and death.

Hylas' name might even be Hylas Aelfwar, but there's nothing I remember that outright confirms this.
    Last edited by Maeloda; 07-11-2013 at 04:27 PM.

+ Reply to Thread