+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Did races such as Eth always ignore the Vigil?

Ascendant

Default Did races such as Eth always ignore the Vigil?

We know when Eth, Bahmi, and Kelari officially became Defiant, and we know that Defiant did not set any stock by the Vigil, but did the races that make up Defiant ever have a time when they at least believed in the power of the Vigil?

I wonder if Ancient Eth, at the time of the Blood Storm, and the induction of the Ward, would have believed in the power of the ward, or would they have scoffed it off and THIS is why they began building and tinkering with magitech. If I rolled my RP around this fact, would it be true or false?

Bahmi at least we can guess didn't worship the Vigil, being outsiders.

I'm trying to reconcile how an Eth could be Guardian. Would an Eth know, and believe, enough in the Vigil from their histories to be accepted, or would it be something they would have to learn from scratch? Could you spin it that even from that day the ward was placed, the ancestral line of the Eth you make believed in the power of the Vigil, but got swept along with their culture or lived in excile?

Ascendant

You know, there are times when I really should read the lore bibles before I ask my questions - sunday mornings are such times.

During the Blood Storm Wars, this inquisitive and fiercely scholarly race discovered a means to harness sourcestone as a fuel for eldritch war machines. After the construction of the Ward and the return of peace to Telara, these proto-technologies saw application in all areas of life. Yet the Vigil soon demanded that sourcestone technology be abandoned. Though it meant being cast from the godsí sight, the people of Eth refused. In spite of the Vigil, they further conquered their environment and built an empire of conglomerated city-states ruled by brilliant sorcerer kings.

Like you found out I don't think any of the defiant races practiced Vigil worship. They do all had a distinct and interesting practices that make them more powerful.

Eth (self worship) - Outright defied the vigil with the use of magitech after the Blood Storm Wars. Eth seem to have a tenancy to think very highly of themselves. They had the goal to make themselves in to gods.

Kelari (spirit partnership) - While they were high elves and not Kelari they probably practiced. The distinction of them leaving for the kelari isles marks them moving to spirit partnership.

Bahmi (ancestral protection) - Originally Shalastiri after generations of breeding with mortals they became the Bahmi. Originally being planar beings the Bahmi praise the spirits of their ancestors and ask for boons of power when they go into combat.

Edit: I have yet to reconcile how you can have "defiant abominations" (cyril's words) move to guardian faction. The other direction is simple enough.
    Last edited by IonCannon; 06-02-2013 at 05:52 AM.

IonCannon@Deepwood
    2 sugoi 4 u

I am in belief in the early early creation days all the races (except Bahmi) loved the Gods but over time found their own ways to replace their worship of the Gods. (they were not the Vigil until after the Blood Storm arrived during the Age of Dragons).

If you really wanted to you could RP that you communicated with a lost soul in the soulstream of your race (Elves, Dwarves, Humans, even Bahmi) that agreed upon the Vigil.
    Last edited by Luteuel; 06-02-2013 at 06:09 PM.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

Everyone knows and accepts that the gods are real; they have directly intervened and prove themselves regularly (messengers, ascending, etc.). So the issue isn't "Do Eth know of and believe in the Vigil?" it is "Do Eth trust in the Vigil?" And while the majority of Eth may not trust in the Vigil and prefer magitech (now Empyrean tech). It is not a stretch at all that some of them might want to side with the Guardians and the Vigil. It's a personal choice; many people go against how they were raised.

Is this assuming that an Eth Guardian would have to have been raised with the other Guardians during the civil war? If so, I don't know enough about the Vigil, but I would assume they would raise an Eth that was faithful to them.

If it doesn't require they were raised at the same time, then your problem is in justifying why Guardians would allow an Eth to join them. Are they completely racist in that any Eth is automatically corrupted by magitech and should be shunned? Again, I don't know enough about that side of the story to answer that.

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    Everyone knows and accepts that the gods are real; they have directly intervened and prove themselves regularly (messengers, ascending, etc.). So the issue isn't "Do Eth know of and believe in the Vigil?" it is "Do Eth trust in the Vigil?" And while the majority of Eth may not trust in the Vigil and prefer magitech (now Empyrean tech). It is not a stretch at all that some of them might want to side with the Guardians and the Vigil. It's a personal choice; many people go against how they were raised.

Is this assuming that an Eth Guardian would have to have been raised with the other Guardians during the civil war? If so, I don't know enough about the Vigil, but I would assume they would raise an Eth that was faithful to them.

If it doesn't require they were raised at the same time, then your problem is in justifying why Guardians would allow an Eth to join them. Are they completely racist in that any Eth is automatically corrupted by magitech and should be shunned? Again, I don't know enough about that side of the story to answer that.
    And when I say everyone I mean the Mathosian races. Unfortunately I don't know much about Pelladane and the Eternal City's beliefs yet..

It's not hard to reconcile any of the races going to either faction in my opinion. They all supposedly have free will.

Plane Walker

Its worth remembering that the Eth population isnt only concentrated in the Defiants. The Arcane Hand in the Droughtlands and the inhabitants of the Shimmersands are both in good relations with the Guardians. Its also worth pointing out that there is a tribe of Bahmi that live in the Iron Pine Peaks and some of their number could have easily taken to paying respects to Thedeor considering how closely related to the Icewatch they are.

The main sticking point would be how they Ascended. However if a Defiant Ascended did wish to follow the Vigil's path then I can see the Guardians being open to accepting them. After all we have a former Abyssal cultist among the Guardian Ascended so the Vigil seem open to forgiveness.

As for motivation, it could simply be that a Defiant Ascended fells that the Guardian's stance holds more merit now. After all, Empyrean Tech is considered fine by the Vigil as long as it doesn't abuse souls, using demonic energy or burn sourcestone. With a potental alternative to Magitech available some Defiants might consider the trade off worth having the Gods on side.

As a side note, the anceint Brevane did worship the Vigil though Im not sure if they were the Vigil at that point. We believe that the Vigil formed as a result of the Bloodstorm but it may have formed earlier. After all we now have hints of a Divine War that is hiden from history.

The Pelladane do worship the Vigil and infact that worship is tied into the use of the Sun Orb that has the power to drawn on their divine power. They also have a shrine to the Vigil in Cape Jule. As yet I dont know if this practice was shared by the Eternal City or the Caretakers as we dont have any detail on that.

+ Reply to Thread