+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Luteuel

Thread: Doubts about empyrean and brevanic people

Default Doubts about empyrean and brevanic people

Hello all!

My question is a bit the consequence of being messy with the lore myself (I haven't played all the quests in all the zones and I took a long break until now).

So here thet are:
    • What is the difference between brevanic and empyrean? Is empyrean also refered to people or just technology?
    • Are brevanic people the creators of empyrean technology? Did exist another older race that created this kind of technology (like the Sun Orb)?
    • Are the actual brevanics just the remnants of what was before a mighty and powerful race (also refered as brevanic)?
    • With the new patch "Empyrean Assault" coming now I am more confused about who are these "empyreans"...

As you see, I think that I am messing with this lore facts A LOT ! Thanks !
    Last edited by jecht; 05-22-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jecht View Post
    Hello all!

My question is a bit the consequence of being messy with the lore myself (I haven't played all the quests in all the zones and I took a long break until now).

So here thet are:
    • What is the difference between brevanic and empyrean? Is empyrean also refered to people or just technology?
    • Are brevanic people the creators of empyrean technology? Did exist another older race that created this kind of technology (like the Sun Orb)?
    • Are the actual brevanics just the remnants of what was before a mighty and powerful race (also refered as brevanic)?
    • With the new patch "Empyrean Assault" coming now I am more confused about who are these "empyreans"...

As you see, I think that I am messing with this lore facts A LOT ! Thanks !
    Here are my answers to your questions but my SL lore is still solidifying:
    1) Brevanic are the people that lived on Dusken and Brevane. Empyrean was a refereance to the technology (planar energy) that powered all of their wonders.

2) to my knowledge, the Brevanic people are the ones that harnessed the Empyrean Technology which Included the sun orb (also the infinity gate, which brought the blood storm to Telara). These are also called God Engines, like the one that Artifex Zaviel made to help Crucia perma kill Ascended in Tempest Bay (chronicle: a hero rise).

3) So this is where i might be divided with some people. I believe that the Gods Created the humans which then appeared in the high elf forest on Mathosia and then when they flourished they moved to northern Mathosia (now called Mathosians) and southern Mathosia (the eth) and also to distant lands (Dusken/Brevane) (Pre-SL lore), but others will say, that the humans were created and inhabited Dusken/Brevane until the Blood storm came and they fled to Mathosia and lived among the high elves. so not 100% sure which is accurate as I need to go back through some of the Quests and in-game lore.

4) so, when Crucia was gathering materials for the infinity gate to bring her army, she enslaved the architect race, i believe the Empyrean assault will deal with these loyalists to Crucia and their affinity for Empyrean technology (which was essentially turned off when the ward was erected to protect us from the blood strom and now "turned" back on with the failing of the ward)

why was it turned off? because the ward prevented planar energy from assaulting Telara, so if it used planar energy before the ward, the ward effectively cut it off from its source.

hope that helped some.
    Last edited by Luteuel; 05-22-2013 at 12:16 PM.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"
    Luteuel@Greybriar, formely Luteuel@Deepwood

I will answer as best I can. I could be incorrect with any of this.

What is the difference between brevanic and empyrean? Is empyrean also refered to people or just technology?
    -Empyrean is just a kind of tech. The Brevanic people used this tech. Brevane was the capital of this large civilization, but it extended to the Eternal City/Ashorans (Ashora/Dendrome), and Pelladane (Dusken).
    Their wonders meant that human civilization was the most advanced of any other. They seemed to have once, longgg ago, existed along with the Vigil, while the Elves and Dwarves existed on their own continent (the Elves with the Land, and Dwarves under the Earth)
    Dusken also seems to have been a more wild land before the Brevanes and Regulos hit. Possibly had a lot of Telaran spirits and such.
    Lycini I think is just a term for the remnants of the Brevanic Empire. I dunno where its origins come from.

-'Empyrean' is also a cultural context with the Brevanes. They didn't exhaust the power of Telara like the Eth/magitech does, but instead channel it through the 'air' as Empyrean. They did all right, but their hubris was in trying to expand beyond the borders of Telara itself with the Infinity Gate.

(Sidenote: Isn't it interesting that the Eth lived so close, geographically, to what is now Dendrome? It's almost like some of them went there and took some tech :P)

Are brevanic people the creators of empyrean technology? Did exist another older race that created this kind of technology (like the Sun Orb)?
    -Yes. The Vigil might, maybe, have something to do with it, but nothing to confirm.

Are the actual brevanics just the remnants of what was before a mighty and powerful race (also refered as brevanic)?
    -Yes, kinda.

1)The 'Ancient Empire', spanning two continents (the Dragons stomped over this and many humans fled to Mathosia continent). It pretty much took over everything, at its peak, every zone. The tech was also godly, surpassing anything else (Eth or 'Recent Empire' Brevanes). It was left behind in the Ashoran (Earth/Life) and Dusken (Death/Air) regions. Now that we've retaken the 'Recent Empire' in normal questing, it's time to retake Ashora.

2)The 'Recent Empire' is kinda spanning two continents. Mostly in Cape Jule, City Core, Eastern Holdings, Ardent Domain, Kingsward, Kingdom of Pelladane, and Tempest Bay. This was only recently roflstomped by Salverola in a coup of the Kingdom (Queen Miela I think is queen of Pelladane, not the Brevanic continent), and the Life effects have warped everything. Everyone is either in hiding, or mutants, or Awakened, or killed, or retreated to Cape Jule or Tempest Bay.

3)The 'Lycini', remnants of the Brevanes, pushed all the way back to Cape Jule, Kingdom of Pelladane, and Tempest Bay. Everything else is either an expeditionary force, people in hiding, or the upcoming Empyreal Alliance with the Guardians and Defiants (in Ashora and Dendrome next month)

With the new patch "Empyrean Assault" coming now I am more confused about who are these "empyreans"...
    The remaining Brevanic people. As Ascended/Guardians/Defiants, we helped them in:
    -pushing back the Storm Legion from Tulan
    -rescuing the royal family (Caspar and Isabella) from sure death
    -routing the Awakened and defeating their leader, retaking Kingsward for the royals
    -securing Ashora as a base
    -pushing back the Storm Legion from Pelladane
    -defeating Regulos himself, and his Shapers and Kain (ending the Endless Court)
    -defeating Crucia herself (even if her will still exists in the Queen's body) and routing the Storm Legion
    -saving Tempest Bay from Crucia's bombardment and invasion

Now they're going to partially repay us for that. They'll be taking part in the Dendrome story as a 'Empyrean Alliance' faction, and there will be special flares we can use to retake areas to set up as Empyrean Strongholds. They're part of our fight now too, and empowered and inspired by the Ascended. They're not doomed, just as Mathosia is no longer doomed.

The Awakened still exist, there are some corrupt fae courts, and the Architects will get a good focus, and this will be in the Dendrome and Empyrean Assault world event

Then we have to deal with any threads with the Storm Legion/Crucia, and whatever else awaits us, as we find a reason to activate the Infinity Gate ourselves... (presumably)

1) Brevanic are the people that lived on Dusken and Brevane. Empyrean was a refereance to the technology (planar energy) that powered all of their wonders.
    Yep. I like to think that the Brevanes used 'Pure Air' to channel sourcestone energy, with the Vigil's blessing. (The Vigil does not seem to be against purified planar creatures. I'm sure they'd be fine with a good bit of upcoming Hailol, even if its rather decadent there)

2) to my knowledge, the Brevanic people are the ones that harnessed the Empyrean Technology which Included the sun orb (also the infinity gate, which brought the blood storm to Telara). These are also called God Engines, like the one that Artifex Zaviel made to help Crucia perma kill Ascended in Tempest Bay (chronicle: a hero rise).
    Also yep, I agree. It's interesting though, that the Vigil's people also had tech that were so... powerful. I mean, the only things I can think of that outright match or surpass these things are:
    -Failsafe/time travel of the Defiants
    -Artificial Ascended of the Defiants
    -Convocation (attempt to Ascend?) by Eth Empire Sorcerer-Kings.

Part of me thinks that the Vigil are using Telara, even if they're the most benevolent about it (very benevolent, to be very clear here - they don't want people harmed). They have their worshipers create the God Engines, but its for Vigil use. Then the Vigil get caught up in the Blood Storm problems, and the God Engines become a bit lost to time. /theory

3) So this is where i might be divided with some people. I believe that the Gods Created the humans which then appeared in the high elf forest on Mathosia and then when they flourished they moved to northern Mathosia (now called Mathosians) and southern Mathosia (the eth) and also to distant lands (Dusken/Brevane) (Pre-SL lore), but others will say, that the humans were created and inhabited Dusken/Brevane until the Blood storm came and they fled to Mathosia and lived among the high elves. so not 100% sure which is accurate as I need to go back through some of the Quests and in-game lore.
    -I say this because the Brevanic Empire, from the sounds of it, is super super super old. Like as old as the Elves and Dwarves. But while the Dwarves were content with their delves, and Elves were content with their unspoiled land, the Brevanes were much more enterprising, even if maybe tempered thanks to their worship in the Vigil.

It's quite possible that the original lore was that humans started off on Mathosia as well, but as far as I see, I consider Storm Legion lore to soft-retcon that, and it doesn't interrupt the lore flow by doing so anyway.

4) so, when Crucia was gathering materials for the infinity gate to bring her army, she enslaved the architect race, i believe the Empyrean assault will deal with these loyalists to Crucia and their affinity for Empyrean technology (which was essentially turned off when the ward was erected to protect us from the blood strom and now "turned" back on with the failing of the ward)
    I'm not so sure they'll be loyalists. Maybe. I dunno.
    I think they're just crazy Architects and want to claim the whole continent for their hives, and they have the power and numbers at this point to do so, now that the main barrier was put down. I think the Barrier was first at the north of Kingsward, but Salverola did something to 'move' it? Can someone confirm? That would mean all of Ashora/Dendrome was untouched, except by Architects, Ogres, Life-things, Centaurs, and the like, until recently.

I'm very curious about this Barrier business because I didn't pay attention to quests earlier and I hope the world event explains.

why was it turned off? because the ward prevented planar energy from assaulting Telara, so if it used planar energy before the ward, the ward effectively cut it off from its source.
    Yeah I dunno about this. Source? (in or out of game)

Pretty sure planar stuff still works. The Ward doesn't cut off planar attuned tech from what I know - it just keeps the Plane itself (and its entities within) from flowing in.

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Maeloda View Post
    Yeah I dunno about this. Source? (in or out of game)

Pretty sure planar stuff still works. The Ward doesn't cut off planar attuned tech from what I know - it just keeps the Plane itself (and its entities within) from flowing in.
    http://stormlegion.riftgame.com/en/lore/empyrean/

Im pretty sure I heard in a twitch video that the barrier around Dendrome was moved there. It was originally around the Eternal City protecting it. Since it couldnt be broken those wanting in managed to move it instead.

Convocation (attempt to Ascend?) by Eth Empire Sorcerer-Kings.
    So I believe the Convocation was the eth's attempt of keeping their technology away from the Dragon cults that had infiltrated their ranks. So it effectively destroyed/buried any magitech that could be used to free the Dragons.

as you know but others may not, this occurred after the age of dragons and before the shade lore wise.

I'm not so sure they'll be loyalists. Maybe. I dunno.
    i only called them loyalists because they reminded me of ants and ants tend to do what the queen wants no matter what. so I guess its kind of a stretch but I am sure we will find out in a few weeks.. yeaaa! more lore!
    Last edited by Luteuel; 05-23-2013 at 07:51 AM.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"

And...thanks to all of you for sharing with me a bit of knowledge about this great game's lore!

Now another doubt rose up with the answers. Are Lycini really the remnants of the "Old Brevane". So then, Casimar and Isabella are also Lycini? I thought they were a separate group of people, returning to (and reconstructing) their homeland. Maybe I am wrong!

Are Lycini really the remnants of the "Old Brevane". So then, Casimar and Isabella are also Lycini? I thought they were a separate group of people, returning to (and reconstructing) their homeland. Maybe I am wrong!
    Well yes, in that the Lycini are remnants of the Brevanic civilization, just as the survivor's and caretakers are remnants of the Brevanic civilization. If there was a category for Prince Casimar and Isabella, I would say they fall under the survivors group (since related quests give you survivors notoriety). Lycini are those who are focused on the Rifts and Zone invasions on Brevane and Dusken.

TL;DR
    They are all part of the Brevanic civilization but now just have different labels due to the fall of the empire.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"

Quote Originally Posted by Luteuel View Post
    So I believe the Convocation was the eth's attempt of keeping their technology away from the Dragon cults that had infiltrated their ranks. So it effectively destroyed/buried any magitech that could be used to free the Dragons.

as you know but others may not, this occurred after the age of dragons and before the shade lore wise.
    Pretty sure that was the propaganda, but the truth in the Droughtlands questing said that instead, the Kings tried to do something in Redoubt that would bring them to godhood, but the Wanton sabotaged it and blew everything up.

One leader saw the danger of it and tried to shield his people, but they just became Death creatures in Droughtlands (which might hint that the Convocation was related to Death, as we Ascended are related to it and the Soulstream), because they were not fully protected. Pretty much everything else in Droughtlands died.

Shimmersand (and maybe some of what is now Freemarch) then fell apart as their magitech was busted and their cities were maintained by it. It all sunk into the sand and it was the Eth's own doing, but not their will. Then started the exodus from the region, but many also stayed. The Dragonslayer Covenant stayed intact, as their base was on the west of Shimmersand, watching over the Firesand Desert for more servants of Maelforge (and Golden Maw). They later participated in the battle against the Shade of Regulos and were decimated like all the other friendly factions.

Another leader was the founder of the Dragonslayer Covenant, and

i only called them loyalists because they reminded me of ants and ants tend to do what the queen wants no matter what. so I guess its kind of a stretch but I am sure we will find out in a few weeks.. yeaaa! more lore!
    That really depends on if the queen/s are controlled by Crucia, or if they're immune to it, and Crucia just takes the drones and brainwashes them into thinking she's their queen.

And...thanks to all of you for sharing with me a bit of knowledge about this great game's lore!

Now another doubt rose up with the answers. Are Lycini really the remnants of the "Old Brevane". So then, Casimar and Isabella are also Lycini? I thought they were a separate group of people, returning to (and reconstructing) their homeland. Maybe I am wrong!
    Dunno, not sure if it matters. I like to think that Lycini is just an ancient name for humans, but Brevanes/Pelladanes/Ashorans/Mathosians/Ethians don't really match that anymore, as they're too spread out. I could be entirely wrong on this though, as it is just a guess.

Pretty sure that was the propaganda
    See this is what I love about Rift Lore, the complexity of it. In-game books that throw you off the trail or could the questing have it wrong.

Do you feel that when we Quest, we learn the truth or are we still just hearing 1 side of the story?
    Last edited by Luteuel; 05-23-2013 at 12:32 PM.
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"

See this is what I love about Rift Lore, the complexity of it. In-game books that throw you off the trail or could the questing have it wrong.

Do you feel that when we Quest, we learn the truth or are we still just hearing 1 side of the story?
    One side, but sometimes that side is more truthful. It's by design and it allows Trion writers to go "OR DID IT?" to things.

All of Lv 1-50 stuff can technically just be a large Xanatos Gambit (Google it) of Crucia to kill off the other dragons and attempt to get the Ascended on her side.

A lot of what we see as a Defiant is propaganda. A lot of what we see as a Guardian is propaganda. We can RP our place in this story, even as we progress through it linearly.

Ultimately, there's a large story of Telara going on, and the Ember Isle bits about the access to the Nexus there, is going to be a part of it

All of Lv 1-50 stuff can technically just be a large Xanatos Gambit (Google it) of Crucia to kill off the other dragons and attempt to get the Ascended on her side.
    Very interesting. Crucia definitely did plan this way, as evident of her attempts to get her Dragon brothers and sisters to overthrow Regulos, which lead to their imprisonment.

Here is what i question is how Crucia's prison had an imperfection in that she was able to force her will from behind it. You would imagine that the Vigil would have seen to its completeness unless she had influenced this unknown goddess during the Age of Dragons. Which would lead back to your Xanatos Gambit (ie, can't overthrow Reggie outright, okay lets imprison everyone but I will still be able to influence beings on Telara with the help of this unknown Goddess)
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"

Default Origins of the Humans

So i emailed captaincursor about the origins of the humans and I stand corrected. (should have paid attention to the SL questing lore).

So Brevane is their origination spot and then they moved around quite a bit.

he also said he would eventually get around to updating the timeline for us. woohoo!
    Rogue - <Ascendance>"

So i emailed captaincursor about the origins of the humans and I stand corrected. (should have paid attention to the SL questing lore).

So Brevane is their origination spot and then they moved around quite a bit.

he also said he would eventually get around to updating the timeline for us. woohoo!
    Yeah it's a gradual moving of humanity, starting in ancient Brevane, and ending in Stillmoor (Mathosian Empire).

+ Reply to Thread